8.6

1. Nov 13, 2010
    This is my attempt at a helpful NO SPOILER review.
    With popularity you get hate. Halo has gained many fans over the years, but it has also gained many haters. The reasons that I have heard that people do not like Halo are its originality, itâ
  2. Nov 15, 2010
    One of the all time best fps of all time. this game was amazing in its day and like unreal GOTY still has a large number of people who still enjoy the online action after all these years.
  3. Mar 5, 2011
    Halo: Combat Evolved is a 2001 first person shooter title that took what Goldeneye 007 did for the genre on consoles and improved upon it to make the Xbox the primary platform for what would soon become the most popular genre in the industry. The game features everything a player would want in a shooter game. An epic single player campaign complete with a variety of weapons, vehicles andHalo: Combat Evolved is a 2001 first person shooter title that took what Goldeneye 007 did for the genre on consoles and improved upon it to make the Xbox the primary platform for what would soon become the most popular genre in the industry. The game features everything a player would want in a shooter game. An epic single player campaign complete with a variety of weapons, vehicles and enemies that keep you changing up your strategy and encourages you to try new things. The story draws you in and makes you want to know what happens next to the point that many gamers have stated that Halo was the first game they ever "pulled an all nighter" playing just to get the the end of the campaign. Then you can experience it all again with a friend in co-op or begin your addiction to the multiplayer component that is sure to have you spending many late nights (and early mornings) trying to best your friends a game of capture the flag or slayer. A title that revolutionized the industry and put Xbox on the map. Halo is a must play for any fan of the genre. Expand
  4. Jan 19, 2011
    I never actually owned this game but I played it from start to finish in one sitting with a friend in coop mode when it came out. Truly a masterpiece and a very compelling reason to own an xbox at the time.
  5. Feb 7, 2014
    Manages to be both a great shooter and an epic adventure without sacrificing one or the other to gimmicks, set pieces or interactive movie moments. Great introduction to the universe
  6. Nov 27, 2010
    Halo Combat Evolved may be--no, IS the best game ever made. It has a great story, awesome gameplay, great graphics for a game from 2001, in summary, everything about it is great! I am still playing it, and its sequel, Halo 2, after several years. Halo 3, not so much.
  7. Dec 9, 2011
    The game that resurrected and redefined console FPS's and gave birth to an ongoing slew of billion dollar console FPS games. Here it is. The Sistine Chapel. The Great Pyramid of Giza. The Double Big Mac. The best console FPS ever made! Great campaign. Great graphics. Great sound. Great musical score. Great gameplay. Innovative weapons and vehicles. Oh and PLASMA GRENADES!!!! HellThe game that resurrected and redefined console FPS's and gave birth to an ongoing slew of billion dollar console FPS games. Here it is. The Sistine Chapel. The Great Pyramid of Giza. The Double Big Mac. The best console FPS ever made! Great campaign. Great graphics. Great sound. Great musical score. Great gameplay. Innovative weapons and vehicles. Oh and PLASMA GRENADES!!!! Hell even the multiplayer was epic and feature rich, even if it wasn't on Xbox Live....only because Xbox Live had not been invented yet! I mean how cool was it to be able to change the settings of your mutliplayer gametypes? There's nothing bad to be said about this game. I know, I know, the PC gamers are going off on a tangent about how there's so many better FPSs on PC, and they may be right, but no one can argue the influence this game had on the video game industry and how it changed it forever. Expand
  8. Jan 10, 2013
    Halo: Combat Evolved is the first Halo game and the best. The campaign was amazing and the graphics not so much but the voice acting and gameplay is what makes a good game. Halo 1 deserves 10/10.
  9. Aug 7, 2012
    ok so for all the idiots playing this game 12 years later and comparing it to todays standards your a moron. moving on from there.... halo was absolutely amazing when it first came out, had amazing graphics for the time, and was definatly worth the hype. 2 thumbs up as a game that will be remembered for years.
  10. Nov 12, 2012
    the best fps for its time,great game a real reason to buy xbox back in its day.while at times story can be confusing its still very great. graphics was amazing back in the xbox days,music was nice.
  11. Oct 20, 2013
    This game changed not only the FPS genre but video games themselves. How many games nowadays don't have a regenerating health system and a 2 weapon limitation. Beyond that Halo is immersive, engaging and a whole lot of fun to play.
  12. Dec 18, 2013
    I still find myself, after years of playing, enjoying this game to it's fullest. Even with anniversary out I still find myself coming back to this amazing classic.
  13. Oct 21, 2015
    Halo: Combat Evolved was my first shooter that i played in my life.
    Its easily my favorite Halo and also my favorite shooter game of all times.
    I just loved everything about this game, both single and multiplayer.(Team Deathmatch was my favorite)
    A true gaming legend!
  14. JesseK.
    May 1, 2002
    This is the best game for the X-Box on the market. "To all system owners who haven't played Halo,you're missing out".
  15. NicholasB.
    Mar 1, 2002
    The best game ever, much better than anything else.
  16. Adam
    Mar 7, 2002
    Actually, I would give Halo an 11. It is the best game ever made in every category, period. If you can give me a better game email me at jeppy10@hotmail.com. I would like to hear it.
  17. DominicD.
    Jun 17, 2003
    I am the Best there is. the best there was and the best there will ever be. you will know me when you see me. you will quiver in fear. Watch out on Halo 2.
  18. KarlK.
    Jul 2, 2003
    ....get this game now, even if you already have a copy.... Have You Played Your Halo Today?
  19. LazyLewis
    Jul 6, 2003
    I think that halo has raised the bar in video games! And all other game designers are desperately trying to jump it! The music is perfect, the graphics are crisp and the game play is magnificent! The only game that will surpass halo in the next few years will be halo 2!
  20. Guyi.n.Yourbasment
    Jan 1, 2005
    If you rated this game or halo2 lower than 9 you have serious brain damage to not see the beauty of both these masterpieces.
  21. BenC.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Amazing game with superb campaign and multiplayer. Only drawback is recycled levels.
  22. MikS.
    Feb 21, 2002
    Best GAME!!!
  23. ERNESTOZ.
    Apr 14, 2003
    The best first person shooter on earth, halo should be name the game of the decade, not stupid gang and mafia games like grand thef auto that look like crap.
  24. EduardoP.
    May 12, 2003
    Should i even speak?
  25. Halofreak
    Oct 7, 2006
    This is the best game ever I bought Xbox just for this game and I was glad when I did the srtory line is so good and the game never gets old.
  26. SamH
    Apr 2, 2007
    This is an amazing game with a great story. But sometimes of the levels were a bit repetitive.
  27. PaoloB.
    Feb 14, 2002
    Even my girlfriend got hooked on coop mode, and my best friend and I just played through the hardest level for the extended ending. Difficulty levels actually make a big diference in terms of numbers of enemies and the more effective AI (if you don't kill them fast enough they're actually smarter than you think).
  28. EricB.
    Mar 11, 2002
    It was so awesome, and I just can't stop playing it! I like the way you can have 2 players fight. It is the best game I have ever played!
  29. JimW.
    Mar 16, 2002
    It's probably the best shooter for any platform ever. AI is off the charts especially when it comes to the big suckers. Multiplayer has some downsides to it, but in general it's the best game I've ever played.
  30. PeteM.
    Mar 12, 2004
    This is a good game. Dont just give it a bad rating to piss people off and feel cool. Done call people who like it "brainwashed" because it is a game with good graphics and the first time around is pretty unbelievable. The single player can be repetitive but u see this was the game that defined the system link. Ive played 16 player system link and damn that was fun. Play that then rate it This is a good game. Dont just give it a bad rating to piss people off and feel cool. Done call people who like it "brainwashed" because it is a game with good graphics and the first time around is pretty unbelievable. The single player can be repetitive but u see this was the game that defined the system link. Ive played 16 player system link and damn that was fun. Play that then rate it again. Im not saying its perfect but yes its as close as we have come so far. I loved goldeneye and perfect dark too people its just that halo is the best right now. Stop the pity party and enjoy it for god's sake. Expand
  31. Shug
    Aug 12, 2006
    Okay mother.....s that hate this game... give me a decent reason this game blows. The campaign wasnt bad and there was no hype towards the campaign so it was what i expected. There was hype on the multiplayer and it has exceeded all the hype by far. It has executed more than expected. It is still to this the the most played xbox live game. And just because you are a computer gamer, doesntOkay mother.....s that hate this game... give me a decent reason this game blows. The campaign wasnt bad and there was no hype towards the campaign so it was what i expected. There was hype on the multiplayer and it has exceeded all the hype by far. It has executed more than expected. It is still to this the the most played xbox live game. And just because you are a computer gamer, doesnt mean every other ... game out there sucks. Hey there are more computer games out there that blow worse than any xbox game. So you can just shut the ... up! Expand
  32. JordanH
    Oct 22, 2009
    Easily one of the most powerful games ever created. It has raised the bar for the FPS genre and given gamers on the fence a reason to get an Xbox.
  33. Legoman
    Jul 16, 2009
    The best FPS game ever. Starting the 3D evolution of FPS games and still my favorite to others I have played. like the Doom series. Awesome!!
  34. JoeyW.
    Nov 13, 2004
    It rocks, i think after the ending theres going to be halo3. for some reason i felt weird when everything felt so different but still i just beaten the game on legendary and man it was almost impossible and i think just because halo and halo2 are on xbox that it makes xbox the best system. what i like about this game is the levels and the master cheif. that old captain that the seargentIt rocks, i think after the ending theres going to be halo3. for some reason i felt weird when everything felt so different but still i just beaten the game on legendary and man it was almost impossible and i think just because halo and halo2 are on xbox that it makes xbox the best system. what i like about this game is the levels and the master cheif. that old captain that the seargent gets his medals from is highly detailed. and the new rides. but if they do make halo3 i hope you get to go around earth and save it the go to a new halo like on halo2 except whith more earth levels. halo2 is awesome. Expand
  35. May 1, 2014
    Halo: CE shaped modern FPS games, and also has one of the best stories, entangled in one of the best soundtracks of any game ever made. The atmosphere in the game was simply amazing. Sure the graphics are dated, it's from 2001 for god's sake, this was a launch title for the original Xbox! The game was revolutionary in its time, its a classic.
  36. Aug 12, 2014
    One of the greatest FPS of all time The game the perhaps did everything right
    Even though I hate Regenerating health in every game Halo 1 did it in a believable way(Your wearing a SPARTAN suit that regenerates) and it didnt have full regeneration you also had a health bar when your shields depleted and could only heal using health packs.
  37. Nov 13, 2014
    The ability to throw grenades without cycling through weapons, immense strategy required, an immersive story, and the legendary multiplayer mode have all contributed this to be the best fps of the 6th gen, perhaps of all gaming itself. Though by today's standards it is clunky and old, the action, the mortality of your character, and the Gregorian Chant of the title screen, are not.
  38. Mar 26, 2016
    Want a freebie game to pick up with your purchase of your Xbox console? Look no further to find any Halo copies available on any store that still sells old Xbox consoles.
  39. May 5, 2012
    How do you write a review 11 years after a release. The game will feel dated, it won't look or run like you're used to games running. That is not a problem for Halo:Combat Evolved. The graphics still hold up, even from a different system generation. The gameplay is still fierce and engaging, the multiplayer still robust enough to lose several hours with a few friends, and that'sHow do you write a review 11 years after a release. The game will feel dated, it won't look or run like you're used to games running. That is not a problem for Halo:Combat Evolved. The graphics still hold up, even from a different system generation. The gameplay is still fierce and engaging, the multiplayer still robust enough to lose several hours with a few friends, and that's playing it now. The game has held up beautifully because it was so far ahead of it's time. Colourful scenery with an absolutely incredible soundtrack, the ambiance of Halo takes you away. How do you review a game released in 2001? Quite favourably, it seems. Expand
  40. Jun 18, 2011
    The first Halo is still the best Halo. The story is classic, the gameplay is classic and, whether it be controller vibrations or the time's graphics, it all feels more gritty than the other Halo games. So much was put into this one game that all the sequels, as great as they were, can't really compare. This is a game that you play for the campaign itself rather than some online multiplayerThe first Halo is still the best Halo. The story is classic, the gameplay is classic and, whether it be controller vibrations or the time's graphics, it all feels more gritty than the other Halo games. So much was put into this one game that all the sequels, as great as they were, can't really compare. This is a game that you play for the campaign itself rather than some online multiplayer battle crap (which is also fun in the sequels, but this one didn't have that - unless you got it for the PC) - so it was clear that more time was spent on the story. Sure they spent time on the story for the rest of the games, but the other games can be beaten in a matter of an hour or two, even on Legendary, while I still, at the pace I go at, feel like this game takes longer - which also makes it a more worthwhile experience. This is one of the most legendary games on its own, and if you're a gamer of any kind and have never played it, you should be outright ashamed of yourself. This is one of those games, one of those rare games, that actually define and influence gaming today. Very few games pull that off. Expand
  41. Dec 11, 2010
    This game is a true classic in just every way! I remember getting this game when I bought a Xbox and I've been playing this series and loving many other shooters, just cause of this one game. Awesome story, gameplay, multiplayer...EVERYTHING! Do yourself a favour and BUY this one and keep it forever, arguably one of the best Halo games in the series.
  42. JaniP.
    Feb 9, 2002
    The best game ever made.
  43. Mar 18, 2011
    Lets get something straight,of course it's one of the top rated game ever, not because of some hoax, but I've beat it on every difficulty setting and I can't tell you how in 30 years of gaming this is one of my favorite games and it holds up to now 2011.Halo Reach is of course the best Halo game ever (debatable),but this is the best game to me because it was made 10 years ago and still hasLets get something straight,of course it's one of the top rated game ever, not because of some hoax, but I've beat it on every difficulty setting and I can't tell you how in 30 years of gaming this is one of my favorite games and it holds up to now 2011.Halo Reach is of course the best Halo game ever (debatable),but this is the best game to me because it was made 10 years ago and still has the graphics and game play to make you want to beat it all over again.I'll tell you that playing this game on legendary setting, it is incredibly hard but super rewarding in the end.Forget about achievements and trophies you get now,the satisfaction you feel in this game out ways them and that's what made games so good in the past and to be honest,it's there with some games but it's not the same!Original Halo deserves a perfect 10 with no doubt about it! Expand
  44. Nov 13, 2010
    Welcome to 2010. This game has been out for 10 years, and to me, it goes on strong. Overall, doesn't beat MW2 or Black Ops, but still is epic. Halo Reach is better due to forge, and multiplayer, and etc., but forget it. Halo: Combat Evolved's campaign can't be beat. I would like to see CoD beat this campaign.
  45. Dec 16, 2011
    Hands down the greatest shooter game I have ever played and one of my all time favorites. The story is good, the entire game is original, and multiplayer is a lot of fun. This is a must buy.
  46. Jan 27, 2012
    Halo Combat Evolved is a must have classic! It is simple, but that isn't a bad thing. Even 10 years on, new stuff can come out of it, with the release of Halo CE Anniversary. This game should be treasured by generations to come, because it is fun, has a good story, and is a purely unforgettable game.
  47. May 27, 2012
    A great game, multiplayer was a lot of fun.
  48. Nov 28, 2012
    First of all, this game surprised me, a lot of things are very well done. The enemies are intelligent, some of the levels are really well designed and for somer parts, this game is just perfect. However, Walking threw the same corridors and buildings five times in a row is annoying and not fun. About 3 hours campaign should have been removed (recycling) or never made in the first place,First of all, this game surprised me, a lot of things are very well done. The enemies are intelligent, some of the levels are really well designed and for somer parts, this game is just perfect. However, Walking threw the same corridors and buildings five times in a row is annoying and not fun. About 3 hours campaign should have been removed (recycling) or never made in the first place, the other 6 hours are epic and amazing. The sequels are much better than this game and there is not that much story in this game. This game introduced us to a rich universe and offers some amazing and breathtaking Content, but this game itself is not a masterpiece at all. Too much recycling and streching made this game a lot worse than it could have been with a shorter campaign,which is pretty sad. Expand
  49. JonatR.
    Apr 7, 2003
    A brilliant story, an epical soundtrack, adrelanine pumping gameplay. Doom 3, far cry and all those fps wannabees may pray that halo 2 won't be better then halo. If it will then there will be no fps that will stand against halo 2. They can't even beat halo.
  50. ChrisE.
    Jan 31, 2002
    This game is completely flawless.
  51. DavidA.
    Jun 28, 2004
    This game is simply perfection. I loved it.It must be like the best first person shooting game ever made.
  52. Jul 27, 2015
    This is by far the best first person shooter ever made. Everything about this game is amazing, from the graphics to the gameplay to the plot and storyline. The Marines are like real people and the enemy A.I. is inteligent and adaptive. Halo is the best X-Box game yet and it simply must be played.
  53. Jan 30, 2016
    Its excelent, the gameplay ist perfect, you need to organize your bullets in the enemies, the maps are amazing the view is spectacular and the music is epic.
  54. Jul 26, 2016
    I never really got to play halo when I was a kid because I never owned an xbox, and for a time I thought this was some great thing that I might have missed out on due to all the hype around the time of its release and all the nostalgia years after it but upon actually playing it and then subsequently replaying it just to be fair and give it another chance I discovered that I really didn'tI never really got to play halo when I was a kid because I never owned an xbox, and for a time I thought this was some great thing that I might have missed out on due to all the hype around the time of its release and all the nostalgia years after it but upon actually playing it and then subsequently replaying it just to be fair and give it another chance I discovered that I really didn't miss out on much. In fact I'm actually pretty glad that I never played it, because at the end of the day its an extremely mediocre game.

The first and most noticeable thing about the game that I found myself hating were the weapons and overall gunplay, the weapons in halo in addition to being completely uninspired have lackluster sound effects and animations for the most part, and many of the weapons are underpowered thus making the plasma pistol and pistol the best loadout for most of an individuals play through, unless of course you are playing on average difficulty which was so mind numbingly easy it made me contemplate suicide.

The assault rifle doesn't **** shoot straight, the plasma rifle does more dps than the plasma pistol but because of the regenerating shield system damage per shot ofter takes precedence over damage per second since(and this is much truer on harder difficulties than on lower ones) its best to stay fairly close to cover while shooting enemies so you can engage in the hide till you heal **** at your convenience, the needler pretty much requires you to empty half a clip into an enemy to kill it and is a boring weapon that doesn't require any semblance of skill to use properly, and the rocket launcher, shotgun, and sniper rifle rarely show up during the course of a play though which is disappointing because out of all the weapons in the game they are by far the best in the game due to their beefier sound effects and better functionality than the other weapons. Granted it might have made halo which is already easy even easier had these weapons showed up more often but there is nothing inherently wrong with a game being easy or inherently right with a game being hard. Difficulty is something I really only complain about when I dislike the underlying for the game being easy, in the case of halo what I dislike are projectile attacks that move so fast that they usually can't be dodged and the health system which allows one to soak up damage like a sponge and recover shields at his convenience, as well as the slow easy and tiresome gunplay and enemy types, which can hardly be said to require different tactics to beat. The grunts can be killed simply by shooting them with anything or throwing any grenade at them and if you kill their commanders they'll just run around and give you another opportunity to shoot them by running around like a couple of **** in spite of the fact that they were honestly pretty harmless to begin with, they are equipped with plasma pistols but for some mysterious reason they lack the ability to charge them up, you can pretty much just play peek a boo with them and slowly pick them off with any weapon before attacking the elites and because they never charge up their pistols you won't have to worry about losing your sheilds fighting them this way, additionally its entirely too easy to stick plasma grenades to them which ironically enough they happen to drop like candy upon dying, the jackals are only slightly more threatening than the grunts they for some mysterious reason can charge up their plasma pistols while the grunts cannot and the fact that they are equipped with the exact same weapon as most grunts is one of the things I dislike about the game, it simply does not take orthogonal enemy designs far enough, the strategy for dealing with jackals is pretty much the same as the strategy for dealing with elites; attack their weak spot and/or them with plasma then either attack their weak spot or hit them with anything till they are dead, alternatively meleeing them works pretty well if you are close enough and grenades are more effective against jackals than they are against elites because jackals are far more stationary but its still not a big enough difference in enemy design to make the game interesting and if you compare the orthogonal level designs in this game to the ones in say quake the difference is pretty clear. In quake you have hitscan enemies, that require you to take cover and pop in and out of it to shoot them, there is a dude with a grenade launcher that requires you to dodge his grenades(yes you can actually **** dodge most projectiles in that game instead of soaking them up like a sponge) and also tries to chainsaw you if you get close, and most of the enemies in that game require vastly differ methods of movement to to deal with their attacks and some are more effectively dealt with by certain weapons than with others.

I could say more about the game but I've reached the character limit, 5000 is far to few for a full length critique.
  55. ShlimV.
    Feb 7, 2002
    This is simply a flawless and possibly the best game eva (MGS2 the only possible rival).
  56. J.S.
    Dec 16, 2009
    The most overrated game of all time. It was a dumbed down, Perfect Dark with Perfect Dark's many feature or great AI. The storyline was extremely simple and short. It had a some decent style and art direction, but was mostly was often along the lines of Golden Eye's 'Aztec' theme; what an eyesore. The ending was very anti-climactic and sudden. This is certainly not one The most overrated game of all time. It was a dumbed down, Perfect Dark with Perfect Dark's many feature or great AI. The storyline was extremely simple and short. It had a some decent style and art direction, but was mostly was often along the lines of Golden Eye's 'Aztec' theme; what an eyesore. The ending was very anti-climactic and sudden. This is certainly not one of the greatest games of all time. Its very mediocre. I credit it for introducing us to The Flood and one of FPS gaming's best titles. Halo 2 and 3 are much better. Expand
  57. Aug 6, 2014
    One of the most overrated games of all time. I finished it and for me halo is not a good game, it is a very average game. First, the levels are very labyrinthine and you're constantly searching where to go, but not only that, but the level design is so repetitive that you're always asking if you went through there or not. Indeed, level portions are literally cloned in other levels.One of the most overrated games of all time. I finished it and for me halo is not a good game, it is a very average game. First, the levels are very labyrinthine and you're constantly searching where to go, but not only that, but the level design is so repetitive that you're always asking if you went through there or not. Indeed, level portions are literally cloned in other levels. Besides some peaks of difficulty completely unnecessary where the game becomes extremely difficult for no reason. The music is very good but are underused. Driving vehicles is terrible. The sounds of covenants is terrible. Sorry, I would like to liked this game, but unfortunately I'm not capable. This has too problems to make it a good game Expand
  58. MichaelK.
    Sep 14, 2003
    It does things scores of other things have done before... Perfect Dark came a year and a half before and still managed to have awesome level dynamics, play control, AI, and it was scores deeper in term of weapon selection and multiplayer options (have you heard of bots???). And both Goldeneye and Half Life brought revolutions to the table in term of storyline, graphics, and play mechanics It does things scores of other things have done before... Perfect Dark came a year and a half before and still managed to have awesome level dynamics, play control, AI, and it was scores deeper in term of weapon selection and multiplayer options (have you heard of bots???). And both Goldeneye and Half Life brought revolutions to the table in term of storyline, graphics, and play mechanics for first-person shooters. Get over it: there's little new about this gussied-up rehash of old game ideas. Go to Gamecube if you want the truly innovative games. Expand
  59. Aug 3, 2011
    This is a very generic sci-fi FPS with a generic story and ho' hum gameplay. While it did set the standard for online FPS on consoles, the genre has expanded significantly since then and tired shooters like these are definitely not worth remembering.
  60. JesseP.
    Nov 25, 2003
    Too much hype not enough content. Half life is so much better and its years older. so the graphics are better in halo but thats expected. cause its newer. just wait for halflife 2
  61. [AnonymousHater]
    Oct 17, 2004
    People keep on talking about how this is the best game ever. The only good part is the multiplayer and the only good level in multiplayer is blood gulch. I was bored after one day.
  62. Jan 6, 2011
    It's a plain shooter with stupid space characters, the same old weapons and a stupid plot. A lot of better games were seen on PC a couple of years earlier. But it has co-op, so it's not completely useless.
  63. Vire
    Jan 6, 2009
    I'm been an FPS gamer for years and I figured Halo would be good when it came out. I heard a lot of good talk about it. Unfortunately, it was really just... crap. Some of the vehicles were fun for a few minutes, but beyond that the story is boring, the actual fighting is completely crap and really, it's just a poor game in general. This game is so hyped it's incredible. It I'm been an FPS gamer for years and I figured Halo would be good when it came out. I heard a lot of good talk about it. Unfortunately, it was really just... crap. Some of the vehicles were fun for a few minutes, but beyond that the story is boring, the actual fighting is completely crap and really, it's just a poor game in general. This game is so hyped it's incredible. It has a rating of 83 on PC as opposed to 97 on Xbox. Given that ALL FPS games are better on PCs, due to differences in controllers, I think this speaks for how smart console gamers are. Expand
  64. BradD.
    Aug 12, 2003
    This game is just a sorry attempt at recreating Half-Life. You have a special life saving suit. There are little parasitic animals everywhere. And it involves the Marines. The only difference is Half-Life is a quadrillion times deeper and scarier and Gordon Freeman could kick the master chiefs ass any day.
  65. JeffM.
    Nov 28, 2005
    After all the hype, its not possible to explain just how disappointing this was. Another shooter with some great moments, but plenty of crappy momements too to weight it down.
  66. Gamestop
    Nov 15, 2004
    Halo... Let's see? The first time through it's good only because you want to know how the story is going to turn out. Then you play it again because it's been awhile but it's too easy now that you know what to do. Switch to legendary gives you a challenge but you still beat it only to see a marine hug an elite (let down) You trade it in cause you don't see Halo... Let's see? The first time through it's good only because you want to know how the story is going to turn out. Then you play it again because it's been awhile but it's too easy now that you know what to do. Switch to legendary gives you a challenge but you still beat it only to see a marine hug an elite (let down) You trade it in cause you don't see yourself playing it anymore. 3 months later there isn't anything else good to play so pick up halo again. Legendary is too easy, story line goes faster when you press X, done with it again. Time to try multiplayer... that goes over horribly cause you now relise how stupid the computer AI is. You get good at it have a few runing riots yet as you get killed by a "camper" with a pistol shot from all the way accross the screen the game get's annoying and you find it more fun to commit suicide so your team loses and you can go home faster. Suddenly Halo 2 is announced and you get some what excited to play that so you play Halo once again on legendary yet find it an utter bore and wonder why you are wasting your time once again on this game. Trailers for halo 2 make there way to the masses the insight hits aswell. Sure the cutscenes look wonderfull but the in game graphics not that much of a difference. Some new weapons, vehicles get damaged etc. You can't help to think how much this is going to be more of the same. Nov 9th 2004 hundreds of crazy losers line your store at midnight to have wet dreams about a guy in a green suit. 5 days later your employee have beaten the game just in time to tell you it's not worth your time. The story line in non-existent like *caugh* "Fable" and was more a tool to push halo 3 on the next xbox. So in conclusion no this is not a great game. To agree with other reviews: Aliens comparison the pillar of automn is the ship in Aliens, the master chief's armor is the marines outfits, guns too., Library=BORING, multiplayer never played half life but recall a game called QUAKE "lan party"!!! Expand
  67. Sep 28, 2011
    Halo isn't a very good first person shooter. I know, I know. You're a Halo fanboy and you think I'm just a mindless hater. You think I'm just going along with the crowd. That I'm some sort of dude who enjoys hopping on bandwagons. Well, no... that's not really the case. I've thought about this for a long while. I've never liked Halo. Even back when it first came out in 2000, it didn'tHalo isn't a very good first person shooter. I know, I know. You're a Halo fanboy and you think I'm just a mindless hater. You think I'm just going along with the crowd. That I'm some sort of dude who enjoys hopping on bandwagons. Well, no... that's not really the case. I've thought about this for a long while. I've never liked Halo. Even back when it first came out in 2000, it didn't impress me. I'm not a guy who likes to be counter-culture, or go against popular opinion for its own sake. There are many popular games I do enjoy. It's not that at all. And here right now, I'm going to explain in detail why Halo is terrible, so you can't accuse me of being a mindless hater. The HUD of Halo is just annoying. Instead of being like other contemporary FPSs, Halo insists on representing all of its ammo onscreen as lots and lots of tiny bullets, instead of simple easy to read numbers. This is lame. There is no need to fill up the top corner of the screen with rows and rows of bullet symbols, just show us a **** number. Like... if it said 60 in the corner? That would be fine, that would work for me. I can read and count, I know what 60 means. 60 means that there are 60 rounds in my magazine, I don't need to see a ton of tiny **** bullets up there. Halo's universe is a complete ripoff of Aliens and various other scifi properties. This shows a startling dearth of imagination on Bungie's part. Seriously, it's not an homage, it's a straight ripoff. This is not subtle, this is hitting you over your head with a sledgehammer. The right way to do it would be something along the lines of Mass Effect. With ME, you can tell that the creators at BioWare had an appreciation and respect for scifi and were influenced by all those works, while creating their own unique and imaginative new universe. They had influences, they did not outright copy. Halo does not do this, Halo is the result of Bungie ripping off other scifi works and cobbling them all together. I find this deeply objectionable.

Let's look at Master Chief. Master Chief as a super soldier is a ripoff of a lot of stuff like BattleTech and Warhammer 40K. He has been surgically engineered to be a superhuman warrior, just like the Space Marines of the Imperium in WH40k. He is physically much larger then a normal human being and possesses much greater strength and athletic capabilities, just like Space Marines and also the genetically engineered Clan Elementals in BattleTech. Then he dons the advanced Mjolnir power armor. This power armor further enhances his strength and survivability in combat, just like Space Marine armor and Elemental suits. Starship Troopers is another example of scifi power armor. His training and origin story in "The Fall of Reach" novel even reads just like Robert Thurston's classic "The Way of the Clans" BattleTech novel. In the Halo novel, the Spartan program takes children and forms them into training cadres to teach them how to become highly capable and skilled soldiers. Their sole purpose is to become the best warrior mankind can produce. This is almost identical to the sibkos, or sibling companies, that the Clans use in BattleTech. If you liked The Fall of Reach, I recommend you go and check out "The Jade Phoenix Trilogy" omnibus edition, which contains "The Way of the Clans." You'll find that The Fall of Reach is simply a pale shadow of Thurston's work.

Most of what Halo rips off is Aliens, however. That's really the core complaint. Bungie just decided to watch Aliens a lot and uh... rip off the entire film. If they were making an Aliens FPS, this wouldn't be a problem. In fact, that would be great. However, I find it appalling that they ripped off this great film to create their brand new IP. That's incredibly distasteful. And no, it wasn't just ripping off the vague concept of a "space marine." Doom did that and that was fine. There is nothing wrong with taking a general concept like a "space marine" and doing your own thing with it. However, Bungie went far beyond just using that idea. They ripped off almost every element of Aliens. Let's take a closer look at the stuff they ripped off. Master Chief's cryo chamber at the beginning of Halo is a ripoff of the cryostasis chamber in Aliens. Same exact design and function. The Pelican dropship is a clear ripoff of Aliens' UD4L Cheyenne dropship. In Halo 3, there's even a cinematic cutscene that shows the **** layout of the Pelican, which has two seats, one lower down and to the right, with another elevated position on the left. This is almost identical to the **** positions on the Cheyenne. I'm not sure if any dropship pilot in a Halo game ever uttered the line, "We're in the pipe, 5 by 5." but it would not surprise me at all if they did.
  68. JamesT.
    Nov 25, 2004
    Come on people. open your eyes, its lamen, repetitive, dull and did i mention boring. and the sequel ain't much better.
  69. Rick
    Mar 11, 2003
    Sucks Sicks. No fun, just like any other 1st person but with more crap. Not addictive.
  70. JimmyP.
    Apr 6, 2003
    This game is not fun at all i dont know what everyone sees in it its only fun on multiplayer thats the only reason i gave it a 3.
  71. JohnH.
    Mar 14, 2003
    This game is not much fun. Ok so every one may like it but I think it sucks.
  72. AdrienV.
    Jan 10, 2008
    It was a rainy day. I bought it played it. Nothing great. Very simple, nothing very stand-out. When I bought half life 1 I stopped caring about graphics as much and i realised that there was not much to this game. Fun for an hour, then just drop it and buy something else.
  73. Michael
    Jul 17, 2003
    Yawn... all of these things were done before. Other games have had vehicles (Red Faction), co-op (Perfect Dark), and exciting multiplayer (PD and Goldeneye). Strong narratives have also been present in other FPS (Unreal). The only two things this game has to offer above its competitors is graphics and sound. The weapon selection is crap, the enemies become very repetitive (especially the Yawn... all of these things were done before. Other games have had vehicles (Red Faction), co-op (Perfect Dark), and exciting multiplayer (PD and Goldeneye). Strong narratives have also been present in other FPS (Unreal). The only two things this game has to offer above its competitors is graphics and sound. The weapon selection is crap, the enemies become very repetitive (especially the Flood... god that stage is a mind-numbing bore), and finally NO BOTS!!! Why the hell didn't they just add bots to multiplayer to spruce it up a bit? Already the modes were lacking; that is just an inexcusable exclusion. Give it up guys- this is the only game approaching even slight acceptance on your pitiful system. And Gamecube has... what, 10 classic games??? Pass. Expand
  74. ZeekyboogyD.
    Aug 15, 2003
    ok, brad, shut up, seriously, half life isnt really THAT great, i mean, halo is the best game EVER! seriously folks, if u have an x-box, or a pc, buy it.
  75. ChrisM.
    Jan 1, 2004
    This game is so overrated. It's just not funny. Linear levels are made even worse when they drag on and on for ages. Some levels just feel like the same room copy and pasted next to each other a thousand times over. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge FPS fan but this game just isn't as good as everyone says it is. Oh and legendary why must everyone agree with your ideas or be This game is so overrated. It's just not funny. Linear levels are made even worse when they drag on and on for ages. Some levels just feel like the same room copy and pasted next to each other a thousand times over. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge FPS fan but this game just isn't as good as everyone says it is. Oh and legendary why must everyone agree with your ideas or be a sh*thead? Thats just immature. Expand
  76. TDFLunatic
    Oct 6, 2004
    This game is the sh.t. If you disagree its probably because you suck at it, or you dont play online.
  77. Citizeus
    Apr 2, 2004
    El mejor Shooter de la historia en consola.
  78. NathanielC.
    May 20, 2004
    This game rocks!
  79. Buried-In-The-box
    Aug 9, 2004
    Gave it a 9 because of Halo 2 coming out. This is by far the best game ever made. I don't care who you are this is the best. Halo 2 will dethrone this though, as it will be polished and built for the Box from the ground up this time. I f you don't like this game chances are you suck at it and need more practice. Get some more practice, get good at it and you will be a believer. Gave it a 9 because of Halo 2 coming out. This is by far the best game ever made. I don't care who you are this is the best. Halo 2 will dethrone this though, as it will be polished and built for the Box from the ground up this time. I f you don't like this game chances are you suck at it and need more practice. Get some more practice, get good at it and you will be a believer. This is the reason all of us started playing games to begin with. Expand
  80. JayP.
    Jul 19, 2006
    Poor. Atrocious selection of weapons, and very limited unique enemies. The scenery has simply been multiplied a thousand times, so when you're playing campaign it feels like you're running through the same area again and again. Inferior shooter. Buy half-life instead.
  81. AdamN.
    Jan 30, 2007
    How rubbish is this? Where is this big hype about it gone? Oh yes, its shite. This is like another game, so ok it is a good game and can be fun, but it still isn't a amazing game that I should have been so its a let down so the vote should be a let down as well!
  82. robun
    Aug 10, 2007
    Yeah... no. This game was not at all that great, i cant believe people compare it to the half life titles. The game offers no variety whatsoever, the multiplayer gets repetitive immediately after you finish your first match.
  83. DavidC.
    Jan 10, 2002
    This is one of the GREATEST games I have played in my whole life!!!
  84. PatrickH.
    Oct 5, 2003
    I don't see why everyone makes a big deal over the game. It's ok, but not something that deserves a 96 out of 100.
  85. LakerH.
    Oct 27, 2004
    This is still the best game of the year.
  86. ProfessorFrink
    Jun 14, 2004
    Before all of you die-hard fans start plotting my death, this isn't a horrible game. Obviously, there are worse out there. But this is not a perfect game, either. The levels remind me of Doom with better graphics. In some buildings, you find room upon room of beds, machinery, emptiness, etc. that you have no idea what they do. They all look the same. After you've played through Before all of you die-hard fans start plotting my death, this isn't a horrible game. Obviously, there are worse out there. But this is not a perfect game, either. The levels remind me of Doom with better graphics. In some buildings, you find room upon room of beds, machinery, emptiness, etc. that you have no idea what they do. They all look the same. After you've played through about half of it you get bored of how this is green or that kind of building is always purple of that creature is always yellow and it just doesn't have the appeal anymore. But the biggest problem of the game would have to be in it's multiplayer. It's one of the cheapest I've ever played in this aspect. You could just hide in one room and pick off people as they come in with a shotgun. Also, sniping is totally unfair, as it is really powerful, health is really too low, and what's up with the melee attack?(hitting people) I charged up my plasma pistol and shot someone in the head with it but hardly made a dent, then they hit me with the SAME weapon and killed me in 1 or 2 hits! The vehicles especially are too cheap, namely, the tank. The huge arenas are also unnecessary as there are usually only 2 to 4 people playing. (unless online). Also, if you think about it, Halo isn't really that new. We've all seen the plasma this, and the laser that, and the ones in Halo aren't exactly totally different. The grenades are all glitched. It's too easy to throw a grenade from like a hundred feet away and kill someone immedietaly. This is not a game that could be improved that much more, so I'm not expecting Halo 2 to be the "Best Game Of The Year" Expand
  87. SachinS.
    Jun 5, 2004
    This is the best game i have ever played. The graphics are sweet. the plot is sweet. the guns vehicles everything is sweet. if the scale went higher i would give it a 100.
  88. Jfray
    Oct 19, 2005
    I don't know why this game is so highly rated...just another shooter game.
  89. NoahT.
    Oct 7, 2007
    Halo 2 and Halo 3 are masterpieces of the first-person shooter genre and deserve the incredibly high scores they received, but Master Chief's first adventure is vastly overrated. Yes, the graphics are incredible, voice acting is top-notch and there quite a few innovative gameplay concepts thrown around. But what really kills this game is level design. You often visit a singular zone Halo 2 and Halo 3 are masterpieces of the first-person shooter genre and deserve the incredibly high scores they received, but Master Chief's first adventure is vastly overrated. Yes, the graphics are incredible, voice acting is top-notch and there quite a few innovative gameplay concepts thrown around. But what really kills this game is level design. You often visit a singular zone many, many times throughout your adventure, and the repetitive level design and enemies, not to mention the repetitive level design and enemies (oh yeah, did I tell you about the the repetitive level design and enemies?) are cause for frustration and disappointment. Skip this one and get the two sequels instead. They are far superior. Expand
  90. BenW.
    Feb 10, 2007
    A dreadful game. The hype is all for nothing. Compared to a PC game its nothing even Daiktana is better than this. The sequel haven't improved on it either!
  91. Dan
    Jul 22, 2002
    The best game ever made. Everything about it is perfect. The graphics are unbelievable, and the detail is very extensive. Can't wait till #2.
  92. SamW.
    Dec 21, 2003
    I recently bought an xbox with halo expecting it to be like everyone says. but when i do play it its alright at the start but damn does it get boring!! the levels are boring and are like the same. the monsters are corny and killing them are repetitive. and the weapons are lame. there needs to be more meatier weapons but all they got are stupid alien weapons which are boring to play with.I recently bought an xbox with halo expecting it to be like everyone says. but when i do play it its alright at the start but damn does it get boring!! the levels are boring and are like the same. the monsters are corny and killing them are repetitive. and the weapons are lame. there needs to be more meatier weapons but all they got are stupid alien weapons which are boring to play with. this game is soooooo over rated. there are so many better games out there. Expand
  93. JonathanS.
    Aug 16, 2004
    I just don't get it. Why are people raving about this game??? I played it on the PC, not Xbox, and I left feeling bored and disapointed. Yah, the graphics are good, but not the best. There are a few good levels, but there are also a few crap ones. I absolutly hated "The Library", nothing but waves and waves of enimies. Point, shoot, point, shoot, yawn. The vehicles are the best part I just don't get it. Why are people raving about this game??? I played it on the PC, not Xbox, and I left feeling bored and disapointed. Yah, the graphics are good, but not the best. There are a few good levels, but there are also a few crap ones. I absolutly hated "The Library", nothing but waves and waves of enimies. Point, shoot, point, shoot, yawn. The vehicles are the best part of the game. Multiplayer can hold very few people, and you only get one skin. To me this is a very average FPS. Nothing ground breaking at all. Expand
  94. ChickenFace
    Feb 16, 2005
    Pass the chicken, i'm playing a crap game called halo here.
  95. Jared
    Jul 28, 2005
    It got boring fast. their is only 5 different enemies in the whole game and no bosses. that sucked.
  96. Guyman
    Aug 3, 2005
    It's okay... not a great variety of enemies and i can't stand this little warp thing. pretty intense though and story line is pretty good but i just felt like i was running around blowing stuff up.
  97. BenS.
    Jul 19, 2006
    How is this considered good?it was boring!
  98. BoBBoBBy
    Aug 7, 2006
    Aight it is plan and simple Single Plyaer is the MOST UNORIGINAL Sh.. EVER but on the other hand I have never had a more fun time killing my friends in multiplayer, both Halos shine in multiplayer but f.... WRECK in Campagn mode!
  99. Somebody
    Jan 17, 2007
    Run in a straight line shooting the "tough" AI. Just a re-hash of Doom and not as good.
  100. Dave
    Jul 26, 2007
    Oh... My... God people... this game SUCKS. Its not fun... they put absolutely no thought into this game. theres like 5 weapons, and 5 eneimies the whole game. WOW such good variety. Why does everyone like it.. it sucks. the graphics are good and all but its super-repetitive and not fun.

#1 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2001
#1 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2001

1. Xbox Nation Magazine
    Halo is quite simply the closest thing we have ever experienced to a living, breathing alternate universe. [Jan 2002, p.72]
  2. GMR Magazine
    The definitive reason to own an Xbox. [Feb 2003, p.95]
    When you finally set down the controller the first time, and eventually hunger or exhaustion do force all of us to take a break, Halo has pulled you completely into its world and started one of the best sci-fi gaming adventures of all time.