8.6

1. Mar 17, 2011
    This game is FANTASTIC!!! one of the best games I've ever played, this had fantastic graphics for the time, and the sound is still top notch, the story is fantastic and you really think before making a decision because your choices alter the world around you, and the side quests are AMAZING!!! they are all unique and are just so much fun to play through, and it has some cool things to findThis game is FANTASTIC!!! one of the best games I've ever played, this had fantastic graphics for the time, and the sound is still top notch, the story is fantastic and you really think before making a decision because your choices alter the world around you, and the side quests are AMAZING!!! they are all unique and are just so much fun to play through, and it has some cool things to find out like new fighting techniques, but keep in mind while playing this is really easy (think Fable II & III easy) so you may want to crank up the difficulty, out of all the Bioware RPGs I've played this is so far there best, a must own and it truly earns a perfect 10. Expand
  2. de5i
    May 3, 2005
    Do not concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all that heavenly glory. Definitely not to be missed, in the case of all that glitters, this is Pure Gold!
  3. Y.M.
    Oct 27, 2005
    Brilliant! I haven't been so addicted to a game since Morrowind. I like that the battle system is still simple, but I get to do a little more than watch the heroes fight (a la KOTOR). The graphics are beautiful, although the camera gets a little nuts at times (i.e. Why am I looking at the crotch and not the face of NPC I'm talking to???). I love the setting as well. I wish Old Brilliant! I haven't been so addicted to a game since Morrowind. I like that the battle system is still simple, but I get to do a little more than watch the heroes fight (a la KOTOR). The graphics are beautiful, although the camera gets a little nuts at times (i.e. Why am I looking at the crotch and not the face of NPC I'm talking to???). I love the setting as well. I wish Old Tongue sounded more like an oriental language and less like gibberish. Interestly, Tanner Fong enlightened me that in Old Tongue "Hey!" and a recitation of one's entire life story consist of the same number of syllables. Anyway, really looking forward to JE2 on PS3! Expand
  4. R.D.R.
    Oct 4, 2005
    Simply the best game I've played on Xbox to date. Better than either KOTOR, better than Morrowind. I'm waiting on Lost Chapters of Fable before judging it, but that pretty much covers the RPGs. And it's better than Halo. There. I said it.
  5. gh0st
    Apr 15, 2005
    Awesome game. The critics hitting the combat system have some valid points, wuxia kung-fu should have a little more depth and it is rather disapointing that you don't beef up with progression. Those bashing the inventory sys and the like, I think are utterly missing the point. Wong Fei-hung doesn't need an inventory, nor would he ever worry about getting a new hat. He needs his Awesome game. The critics hitting the combat system have some valid points, wuxia kung-fu should have a little more depth and it is rather disapointing that you don't beef up with progression. Those bashing the inventory sys and the like, I think are utterly missing the point. Wong Fei-hung doesn't need an inventory, nor would he ever worry about getting a new hat. He needs his kung-fu and perhaps a good sword. That is the whole piont of the romantic flying swordsman. No inventory, no changing outfits, no purchasing. Just training and kung-fu. Had there been complicated inventory and items, it would have been a huge nail in the coffin of immersion. Expand
  6. Dakota
    Apr 24, 2005
    One person says he has never heard of it and says the game didn't live up to hype. I find it funny that he never heard about it but heard of the hype? The game is great and shouldn't be compared to Fable like one person has all ready tried to do. On its own merits, one of the best RPGs the past 5 years.
  7. StankeyM.
    Apr 29, 2005
    The games direction and storyline is great, I noticed it may lag on the loading sometimes but all around this game is phenomenal.
  8. MattC.
    Nov 14, 2007
    A quality game with a great plot. I loved KOTOR, and while the environments don't have Star Wars magic, Bioware did an impressive job creating an immersive, fun to explore world. For those who thought it was easy, I doubt they ratcheted up the difficulty to grand master, which provides a good challenge, especially in boss fights. A must have for Xbox RPGers.
  9. BlakeD.
    May 30, 2005
    Amazing story and fluid gameplay. As with most RPGs subquests seem tedius, but this game has a way of making them all seem very interesting so that half the fun of the game is the subquests. Too much reading.
  10. Jimbosim
    May 3, 2005
    Quality. Not as good as Kotor, but only becoz thats the game that dragged me helplessly into hours of rpg gameplay and will always have a place in my heart! But never the less still a worthy game that deserves dedicated gameplaying hours. Its only downfall being its opening, which seems flat and boring.
  11. KayinS.
    May 4, 2005
    This game is the sh.t and has a great system to it. only one down fall to it but its still as perfect as it gets and that is when you have a team, camera angles blow but still come on....can't pass this game up for the world!!!
    May 5, 2005
    Combat system is intense and requires attention to detail. The world itself is beautiful. Over all this is an excellent RPG and rates among the top. I still feel like it lacks a little. It could stand to use a little more freedom as far as the characters ability to roam and explore as well as a more in depth character creation process!
  13. AlexanderB.
    May 7, 2005
    I beat this game within 7-9 hours of non stop playing lol. I give it a 10, i love this game. jus wish it was a bit longer. :P
  14. DillonH.
    Jun 14, 2005
    This is the best game ever.
  15. PimpPlayer
    Aug 31, 2005
    This game is a very interesting and rara one the whole chinese style (environment,music,characters) i did have a fun time playing this game i like it because when you pass a mission or fight your charcter get stronger and you get top upgrade his skills i play this game 3 days in a row.and i pass the game like in about 10 hours but is still fun when you continue playing it.
  16. IamNlCK
    Jun 25, 2006
    Great RPG. In the tradition of KOTOR, Jade empire delivers a great story, with plenty of cool characters and Asian mythology. I think it took me around 35 hours to complete it. The only down-side is that the combat engine could have been more evolved. It was disappointingly pretty basic, though an improvement from KoTOR. Also, some of the moral choices they ask you to make may seem kind Great RPG. In the tradition of KOTOR, Jade empire delivers a great story, with plenty of cool characters and Asian mythology. I think it took me around 35 hours to complete it. The only down-side is that the combat engine could have been more evolved. It was disappointingly pretty basic, though an improvement from KoTOR. Also, some of the moral choices they ask you to make may seem kind of questionable...though you go with the one you think the game wants you to pick so you get good or bad points. Expand
  17. ChristopherL.
    Dec 16, 2005
    Absoulty Brilliant. 4 anyone who has played Zelda, Fable, Dynasty Warrior (Small comparision) this is the game for you, It combines real-time action with magic, wonder and chinese history. Its only let down is that it could have give you a wide variety of magic however the magic you posses is brilliant. When you beat certain enemies (Horse Demon) you will recieve their style enablling you Absoulty Brilliant. 4 anyone who has played Zelda, Fable, Dynasty Warrior (Small comparision) this is the game for you, It combines real-time action with magic, wonder and chinese history. Its only let down is that it could have give you a wide variety of magic however the magic you posses is brilliant. When you beat certain enemies (Horse Demon) you will recieve their style enablling you to transform into them while you Chi depletes. This is an amazing game which I would recommend to anyone. Expand
  18. Devin
    Apr 11, 2005
    Wow this game is so neato! i really recommend this game for anyone that loves rpg, just super cool.
  19. Bob
    Apr 12, 2005
    This game is the best thing that could happen.
  20. MichaelB.
    Apr 13, 2005
    Best Action/RPG since Zelda SNES, seriously!
  21. JoshB.
    Kick ass metal!
  22. MattW.
    Apr 22, 2005
    This game has everything you want in an action RPG. It has one of the best stories ever written, awesome graphics, interesting characters, and awesome gameplay. Game reminds me as a combination of fable and Knights of the Old Republic. Whoever thinks that this game is better than Fable, it isnt. Controls in Fable are a lot more complex and cumbersome than jade empire. It also has no This game has everything you want in an action RPG. It has one of the best stories ever written, awesome graphics, interesting characters, and awesome gameplay. Game reminds me as a combination of fable and Knights of the Old Republic. Whoever thinks that this game is better than Fable, it isnt. Controls in Fable are a lot more complex and cumbersome than jade empire. It also has no combat depth, something that jade empire has. If you have a choice, get the limited edition copy, but if you get the regular one, you wont be dissapointed. Best RPG of 2005 Expand
  23. SteveK.
    Apr 23, 2005
    This is an amazing RPG. It's not quite the level of the first Knights of the Old Republic, because it lacks the emotional punch that KOTOR made you feel. I'm not sure what it is, but it's missing that little intangible that made KOTOR so special-- that made you lose sleep and made you rush home and wake up early just so you could play it and made you gasp aloud when the This is an amazing RPG. It's not quite the level of the first Knights of the Old Republic, because it lacks the emotional punch that KOTOR made you feel. I'm not sure what it is, but it's missing that little intangible that made KOTOR so special-- that made you lose sleep and made you rush home and wake up early just so you could play it and made you gasp aloud when the twists were unveiled. That is not to say that Jade Empire is not a very fine game with an amazing story, immersive world, and smooth and entertaining gameplay. There are definitely layers here, and anyone who gave it a bad score and isn't even close to finishing it really jumped the gun. Give the game a chance, just don't try to compare it too much to KOTOR I. Expand
  24. BernieT.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Not just the best RPG on the XBox, but one of the best RPGs ever made. Perfect, absolute perfect blend of action and RPG elements.
  25. SeanY.
    May 2, 2005
    One word.. AWESOME !!
  26. NeilV.
    Jul 6, 2005
    One of the finest RPG experiences that I've ever encountered. The only RPGs that truly captivated me like this were FF VII and the Shining Force series. The storyline is immersive and you will be one with your character. Details like the Arena really added to my enjoyment. MUST HAVE if you're an X-Box gamer who loves martial arts!
  27. LazyBonesCouchPotato
    Aug 12, 2005
    Though the actual gameplay puts it above all other rpg's for xbox, including fable, the gameplay is a little confusing. Not enough explanations. What the *bleepers* is a harmonic combo? I have just started though, maybe time will clear things up...
  28. SeanL
    Dec 23, 2009
    An absolutely beautiful game. It's a stunning achievement and my favorite game to come from Bioware.
  29. GAMERMAN800
    Dec 23, 2005
    Everything about this game is perfect, although it is a lot more fun the first time through. If they just made it longer, itwould be the perfect game. the controls were probably the best use of the xbox game controller. A must buy for anyone who loves RPGs.
  30. ChrisL.
    Apr 13, 2005
    Amazing RPG! Jade's world and story will keep you captivated even with multiple play-throughs. The combat is engaging and just plain fun (as long as you keep it on the highest difficulty). Play it and you'll realize that the world is now in balance.
  31. MichaelV.
    May 22, 2005
    This was really fun. I had a good time wiht this one and i'm strongly thinking about going through it with closed fist. I thought the pacing got kinda screwed up at the end though.
  32. BillZ.
    Jun 26, 2005
    Great story, great graphics, great characters. Put that all together in a new, exotic setting instead of the tired, cliche-ridden fantasylands, and guess what? You have a brilliant game.
  33. RobB.
    Aug 17, 2005
    It owns...nothing more, nothing less.
  34. R.T.
    Sep 22, 2005
    One of the greatest RPGs to date. The gameplay is totally addictive and you can switch techniques in a second and the story is amazing. Unfortunately, the game's longevity is short; however, if you manage to love the story you will find one of the greatest RPGs ever created.
  35. Mar 20, 2011
    I enjoyed this game a lot. I found the story to be engrossing, and the depth to the lore design and graphics were fantastic. The story tends to be linear, but it's such a fun ride I really didn't care by the end. There were also some wonderfully unexpected twists to the story, and by the end of the game I was on the edge of my seat to see how it was going to end.
  36. Dec 1, 2012
    one of the most underrated games ever. a brilliant story with tons of different choices, fantastic graphics for its time, hard hitting gameplay, tons of different styles, upgrades and ways to fight, great characters, hours of gameplay, and a new and original different world. jade empire is a very unappreciated game and more people should play it.
  37. Nov 19, 2010
    Amazing story. A fantastic trip from beginning to end. The brilliant dialogue and talented voice-acting make for an unforgettable role-playing experience. Even the real-time combat style and the diversity of character abilities are a lot of fun (the kinds of things that often tend to be weaknesses in RPG's). With Jade Empire, Bioware struck gold.
  38. Oct 19, 2011
    sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc
  39. Stealth
    Apr 18, 2005
    I really enjoyed this game, and I'll recommend it, but it did have some problems . The good: I liked the battle system, the story was excellent, graphics are great, sound is great, gameplay is enjoyable. The bad: It was too short, took me 15 hours to complete. Lack of items to collect, weapons, armor, etc. Battles were too easy, even if you crank up the difficulty. Not as much replay I really enjoyed this game, and I'll recommend it, but it did have some problems . The good: I liked the battle system, the story was excellent, graphics are great, sound is great, gameplay is enjoyable. The bad: It was too short, took me 15 hours to complete. Lack of items to collect, weapons, armor, etc. Battles were too easy, even if you crank up the difficulty. Not as much replay as KOTOR. Expand
  40. Devilborn
    Jun 8, 2005
    Visually it did not push xbox to any graphical amazement. the sound in the game is also flat and undesirible to hear. but the most crucial fault of bioware was in combat to say that real time combat is better than turn based combat is resounding no no no . the real problem of real time combat is combat itself it has a pattern of evade and attack and thats about it, you can defeat enemiesVisually it did not push xbox to any graphical amazement. the sound in the game is also flat and undesirible to hear. but the most crucial fault of bioware was in combat to say that real time combat is better than turn based combat is resounding no no no . the real problem of real time combat is combat itself it has a pattern of evade and attack and thats about it, you can defeat enemies using those strategies alone u can also use the demon on the latter part of the game , the demon i use was a froglike demon and later the golem statues and theres barely a difference i found out while using demons just attacked using these demons until your chi is depleted(uprade everything on stats for longer state of specific demons) it doesnt really use a big strategies to defeat the game itself why? because the game is too easy, defeating level bosses like master li was so easy playing the master difficulty. just evade and attack like i said before. thats the biggest problems of real time combat games like sudeki or fable although fable is alot better than jade empire and sudeki in mile because it really has a good combat and upgrading stats is easy to understand and also good mini games(but defeating level bosses doesnt seperate itself from average enemies in the game like i said evade and attack and youll defeat the enemies, tell me is that a better rpg than turn based rpg i would have to answer that in no, based on overall satisfaction in combat and the difficulty of the game). let me tell you about jade empires mini games flying plane with power ups which is ridiculously a bad idea by the dumbest person, who would think that it would be fun or challenging enough to not be bored with the irrelevance of this stupid mini games. another complaint about the game is the out of place monkeys all throughout the game that bothered me so much that i have to say the graphics, sound, combat, mini game, monkeys that is so out of place in the game with no redeeming feature. save yourself of the trouble of commiting suicide while playing and finishing this dumb stupid game.(fable is better game 9-5 ratio vs. dumb jade empire, and sudeki combined) Expand
  41. Ditto
    Apr 18, 2005
    If I had never heard of this game, just found it in a store and decided to buy it, I would gice this game a 8. Unfortunetly I gave it a 5 because it doesn't live up to the hype. A good game, it's no Zelda but it is one of the best on the X-box. I reccomend buying it, but don't expect one of the best games ever made. The battle system is awesome.
  42. ThomasJ.
    Jun 4, 2005
    This game is very good, but if you're a fan of Bioware games like I am, then you may be disappointed. Jade Empire has great visuals, an engaging story, and superb audio--the voice-acting is terrific. Unfortunately, however, Jade Empire lacks solid gameplay: the fighting is monotonous, even with the many combat styles, and it's extremely easy. Straight to the point, Jade Empire This game is very good, but if you're a fan of Bioware games like I am, then you may be disappointed. Jade Empire has great visuals, an engaging story, and superb audio--the voice-acting is terrific. Unfortunately, however, Jade Empire lacks solid gameplay: the fighting is monotonous, even with the many combat styles, and it's extremely easy. Straight to the point, Jade Empire is a great game if you've never played or enjoyed any other Bioware games. But if you've played Neverwinter Nights or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, then prepare to be disappointed. Expand
  43. KevinF
    Sep 1, 2005
    Jade Empire, despite being excellent in its visual style and ambience, is still a flawed game. The combat system is a button bashing mess which only become more irritating as the game progresses. The story is average and unremarkable and its shortness, particularly the abrupt ending is a majore disappointment. The game places us in a beautiful world but fails to develop on that world and Jade Empire, despite being excellent in its visual style and ambience, is still a flawed game. The combat system is a button bashing mess which only become more irritating as the game progresses. The story is average and unremarkable and its shortness, particularly the abrupt ending is a majore disappointment. The game places us in a beautiful world but fails to develop on that world and while still a good game, it feels like a missed opportunity. Expand
  44. JacobR.
    Jan 16, 2008
    Boring. Too much talk. Story is a letdown and too complicated for its own good. Limited moves. Fails to keep my attention and isn't worth investing either money or time. If you've recieved this game for free, still use it as a coaster or sell it to your nearest gamestop.
  45. AliceB.
    Nov 29, 2005
    an ok game, way to repetative though. its pretty boring unless you like games where all you do is talk, then fight a little, talk, fight a little, repeat. a waste of 20 dollars. the story line is completely boring although the different use of abilities is pretty cool although the entire game you'll probably be using the same 2 abilities the ENTIRE time. as i said its a wast of money an ok game, way to repetative though. its pretty boring unless you like games where all you do is talk, then fight a little, talk, fight a little, repeat. a waste of 20 dollars. the story line is completely boring although the different use of abilities is pretty cool although the entire game you'll probably be using the same 2 abilities the ENTIRE time. as i said its a wast of money so if you really want to see it, rent it and see how bad it is. (Y.M. has a good point about morrowind). Expand
  46. Kuato
    Apr 20, 2005
    I thought it was a solid linear action/rpg On the Graphics side Breathtaking levels and lighting show off the xbox's capabilites quite well, characters look look like improvement from Kotor but arent quite A+ yet, the overall feel is more of a Mystical Fantasy Mortal Kombat China you would find in a D&D Oriental Adventures manual than that of more Historical Crouching tiger Hidden I thought it was a solid linear action/rpg On the Graphics side Breathtaking levels and lighting show off the xbox's capabilites quite well, characters look look like improvement from Kotor but arent quite A+ yet, the overall feel is more of a Mystical Fantasy Mortal Kombat China you would find in a D&D Oriental Adventures manual than that of more Historical Crouching tiger Hidden Dragon China, I guess being more of a martial arts fan I would have been fine with the game focusing soley on the huge world of martial arts than magic, ghosts and monsters The story seems pretty generic and formulated from other Bioware games if you have played other Bioware rpgs you will encounter many of the same subplots and quests with improvements. I think generally there was too much dialogue and the jibberish language sounded like it belonged in the starwars universe not China, plus could it have hurt to give the Player character a voice the dead silence of all your repsonses really takes me out of the game, you will see you character stand and nod silently in just about every conversation. Voice overs were not bad but definutely did not have a hint of sounding Asian either. Thens theres the Kombat if your into hardcore fighting games it may fall drastically short of your expectations and very simplistic yet fun, Although it is an interesting system I think its incomplete two things I wanted to do right from the start were counter moves and throws it is a martial arts game right well ok its an Action/rpg I almost think they put a ton of extra dialogue in the game just to stress that point. well I dont think it deserves a 9.9 or 10 I enjoyed much more than Fable and can recommend playing it. Expand
  47. JayZ.
    May 17, 2005
    Really, really short game. Beat it on the toughest difficulty and still beat it in under 15 hours. Although the story was very unique, there were several points where I was just like, "the hell have you been smoking, Bioware?" The combat was very original. I liked it, even if it wasn't what I had hoped. Overall a good game, just nothing too amazing.
  48. PSYCHOPOMPUS
    May 21, 2005
    Boring, endless loading times, crappy storyline and inferior combatsystem. So this games is very overhyped.
  49. WilliamB.
    May 23, 2005
    About 20 hours of game play if you do evberything. About 10 if you don't. Even on the hardest difficlty it's not hard at all. Settings are nice but the storyline is highly -predictable. Graphics are pretty good. Dialogue is sluggish. Very little character development.Handles smoothly but camera problems abound, don't get stuck in a corrner. Not much really distinguishes theAbout 20 hours of game play if you do evberything. About 10 if you don't. Even on the hardest difficlty it's not hard at all. Settings are nice but the storyline is highly -predictable. Graphics are pretty good. Dialogue is sluggish. Very little character development.Handles smoothly but camera problems abound, don't get stuck in a corrner. Not much really distinguishes the combat types, basically either damage or some orm of stun. No strategy or thinking involved. If you wonder why the high rating, you can ask the same question about dungeon siege or halo. Quite simply, microsoft butters up reviewers with all sorts of perks and exclusive hands on, ect. Great pr for mediocre games. Nothing inventive, big budgets for graphics though. Get the D&D action rpgs if that is what you are after. Heck I found myself wishing I was playing diablo 3. Expand
  50. MikeK.
    Oct 29, 2005
    This has to be one of the most overrated games that I can think of. Boring storyline (unless you are a hardcore RPG fan aka nerd) and repetitive gameplay. I wish that game critics would get off the BioWare bandwagon already. KOTOR was a solid game, easily the best RPG on Xbox next to Fable, but c'mon some of these reviews makes me wonder who their working for.
  51. Swordsman
    Apr 16, 2005
    I really wanted to love this game. I wanted something to do what Fable should've done, and it kinda does in that the fighting feels better. But having said that, I can't get over the fact that the world once gain feels a little too small, or a little to linear and enclosed. I'm not saying I want Morrowind here, but why can't I climb over that rock to get up to the I really wanted to love this game. I wanted something to do what Fable should've done, and it kinda does in that the fighting feels better. But having said that, I can't get over the fact that the world once gain feels a little too small, or a little to linear and enclosed. I'm not saying I want Morrowind here, but why can't I climb over that rock to get up to the house on the other side of said rock instead of having to walk all the way around the house? This is minor, so it's not a gamebreaker, just a point that developers need to take into mind in the future. My major complaint is the animations and collision. All that has been talked about for months was the fighting styles and animations, so why do they feel unfinished? It's bad enough that the camera can't be fully manipulated like in every other 3rd person game, making me not able to get up close to my character when he does his moves. But it's worse when the animations are lacking MANY frames of needed animation when doing these cool moves. The collision when fighting is subpar, as is the lock-n. How many games have to do this wrong before someone fixes it? It's like playing the old Spikeout games and going right past your enemy when you start a combo, only to leave yourself turned around backwards for them to attack. The game is still too easy like Fable, and the only other thing I can think of to make me still want to give this another try is the amazing graphics with no pop up and foliage that moves as you walk through it. Why can't I move the camera to get closer to my character so I can feel like I'm in the action. It looks almost like a next-gen Baldurs Gate game with this camera up so high and far away, except in those you can move the camera closer...and it will actually stay in place. Not here, it flips right back to the high position when you let off the stick. This was the worst part of all the unfinished feeling parts this game has. You can't see anything, and when you do, you see the stiff animations. Feels like it needed another 6 months. Another hyped up disappoinment to add to the library of disappointments on the dying Xbox. This will go on the shelf with Halo 2...and Fable. Expand
  52. Ryencoke
    Apr 17, 2005
    I was really excited for this game, I was hoping that it would be like Fable. And I loved Fable. And this game honestly was a disappointment. Or so it is so far. It's okay, but really it's nothing great. I regret buying this game without even playing it. It just has a bad battle system, if it was like Fable, damn that would have rocked. The lack of gameplay has to much story I was really excited for this game, I was hoping that it would be like Fable. And I loved Fable. And this game honestly was a disappointment. Or so it is so far. It's okay, but really it's nothing great. I regret buying this game without even playing it. It just has a bad battle system, if it was like Fable, damn that would have rocked. The lack of gameplay has to much story time. And it's just really boring. Rent this game, don't buy it. Expand
  53. Nov 18, 2011
    I laugh at those who rate this game with a 10. Do not get me wrong, Jade Empire is a good game, but that is all it will ever be. 'good' not great, wonderful, amazing. just 'good'. Lack of any real story or character depth has lead to the low rating of '4'.
  54. Jun 8, 2013
    A spiritual follow up to the acclaimed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Bioware have yet again created an epic RPG in their own unique style. Without the Star Wars name to fall back on the developers have taken the best elements from their Xbox classic and built upon them to produce a title that, in gameplay terms at least, is arguably even better.

Following an option to take on

Following an option to take on one of six characters the player is thrown into the world of Jade Empire. Unlike The Old Republic Titles the game this time around is a true action RPG. An excellent control system helps make these battles enjoyable and players are gradually introduced to new elements eventually revealing a deep set of options. Combat includes hand-to-hand fighting as well as the use of weapons and magic and combining them based on the type of enemy you are facing is the key to success.

This time around Bioware have built their mythology from scratch and the Asian kingdom in which the game takes place is steeped in a history waiting to be discovered by the player with a storyline that, while not perfect, is certainly interesting enough. As the player advances new characters with their own back-stories will join your party. Only one can be taken into battle alongside you but each brings their own strengths and weaknesses adding further depth to proceedings. Despite the immense customisation options the game does its best to remain accessible by removing tedious item and stat management. When enough experience is gained the player has the simple choice of upgrading their body, mind or spirit. Levelling up obviously helps during combat but interestingly also provide extra options during conversations.

The good/evil system associated with Bioware RPGs is also implemented differently with players instead aligning themselves with different philosophical beliefs. The Path of the Closed Fist dictates that only the strong will survive while The Path of the Open Palm teaches that helping others will eventually lead to rewards. This new two sided morality scale avoids the usual good vs. evil method allowing players to play the game by their own belief.

For anyone that is a fan of Bioware's work, that includes the three Mass Effect titles, Jade Empire is a must buy RPG that offers well in excess of twenty hours of fantastic gaming.
  55. May 8, 2013
    A beautiful game with endless detail and style, a great story and great visuals. Best Xbox game ever even though it's almost ten years old as I write this review.
  56. Apr 4, 2014
    One of the greatest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I can practically find no flaws with this title, as there are very few, if any. The combat is deep but easy to pick up, the graphics are gorgeous for it's time, the controls are incredibly fluid, the music is phenomenally beautiful, and the characters and plot are extremely well-written, making for an unforgettable experienceOne of the greatest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I can practically find no flaws with this title, as there are very few, if any. The combat is deep but easy to pick up, the graphics are gorgeous for it's time, the controls are incredibly fluid, the music is phenomenally beautiful, and the characters and plot are extremely well-written, making for an unforgettable experience that's very easy to become fully immersed in. I would recommend this to practically anyone, as there is almost nothing wrong with it. This is the quintessential Bioware title for me. Play it if you haven't already. Expand
  57. Jan 6, 2013
    Just how could anyone not love this inspired and beautiful masterpiece? It's story and the dialogues are well written (like KOTOR) but its game play is much more free and, thus, thrilling. The on rails shooter part is a nice treat for fans of the genre but they can be skipped in case you are not. Overall a great game.
  58. Oct 29, 2013
    I loaded this into the XBOX expecting absolutely nothing from it but, after 30 minutes I was hooked, I've played many gems (SoA, FF4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Symphonia etc. to put it in perspective) but this is so far the most AMAZING. This severely underrated RPG (yeah, I said underrated) has many quests that will give you satisfaction or make you feel dirty. When it'sI loaded this into the XBOX expecting absolutely nothing from it but, after 30 minutes I was hooked, I've played many gems (SoA, FF4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Symphonia etc. to put it in perspective) but this is so far the most AMAZING. This severely underrated RPG (yeah, I said underrated) has many quests that will give you satisfaction or make you feel dirty. When it's lighthearted it's lighthearted, but when you go dark the game one ups you. The story is simple yet powerful, you chose the next adventure based on your desicions, the game play is also pretty basic but entertaining and the re-playability for this RPG is superb (played again after I just beat it). This one is a heavyweight. Expand
  59. Jun 25, 2014
    Gameplay: The gameplay for this game is just a third person action game with a decent amount of variation overall. I liked how whoever you choose to accompany you also works well with the type of gameplay choices you are interested in. There are a butt load of different monsters to fight and you have to work in simple. but fun tactics to dispurse them.

Story: This game has the second

Story: This game has the second best story of any game I've ever played. Everything was original, inspiring from great works of Kurosawa and even traditional Asian lore. I don't want to ruin anything, but you basically have to find your master and figure out why everything is going on in this world. You will go to heaven and hell to find this out and with a crew that is amazing.

Characters: The voice acting in this game is unparalleled to any other game. I don't just mean how everything comes across, I mean how well the dialog sounds and the choices you have to choose from sound. I've played games where you have a choice between good, kinda middle/bad and bad for your choice of things to say, this game isn't that. You invest in who you spend your time with and build a relationship with a lot.

Side quests/length/extra: There are plenty of side quests and they aren't like GTA side quests either. Every single one is entirely different and original, and one even includes a cameo role from John Cleese which is hilarious and delightful. This game took me 40 hours to complete when i was like 11, but only took about 15 when I revisited it last year. Alas, 15 hours doesn't sound long for a game like this but the replayability of getting to know separate characters or being evil instead of good is just fine with me. Also, there are certain scenes that are just so amazingly awesome I'd watch them a hundred times.

Music: Best music of any game ever. Other than journey, anything from naughty dog, deus ex:human revolution and a few other games, this is the best soundtrack I've heard by far. I honestly listen to some of the tracks occasionally for fun!

If I had to rate it 9/10 because the length isn't that long and the gameplay isn't that impressive, but this game still holds up almost ten years later and that's definitely something to say!

1. Enthralling and beautiful, Jade Empire melds adrenaline-inducing combat with a compelling RPG structure perfectly. Here's an RPG that anyone can enjoy -- Jade Empire is sheer pleasure.
  2. A near-masterpiece. Its sumptuous graphics provide enough eye candy to give your pupils diabetes and its combat system will frequently propel you into new areas just to kick the asses of a few more enemies.
  3. Only one thing stops us from awarding top honours to this game: the lack of a co-op mode, which would have been an obvious inclusion.