8.5

1. Jun 25, 2014
    Gameplay: The gameplay for this game is just a third person action game with a decent amount of variation overall. I liked how whoever you choose to accompany you also works well with the type of gameplay choices you are interested in. There are a butt load of different monsters to fight and you have to work in simple. but fun tactics to dispurse them.

Story: This game has the second

Story: This game has the second best story of any game I've ever played. Everything was original, inspiring from great works of Kurosawa and even traditional Asian lore. I don't want to ruin anything, but you basically have to find your master and figure out why everything is going on in this world. You will go to heaven and hell to find this out and with a crew that is amazing.

Characters: The voice acting in this game is unparalleled to any other game. I don't just mean how everything comes across, I mean how well the dialog sounds and the choices you have to choose from sound. I've played games where you have a choice between good, kinda middle/bad and bad for your choice of things to say, this game isn't that. You invest in who you spend your time with and build a relationship with a lot.

Side quests/length/extra: There are plenty of side quests and they aren't like GTA side quests either. Every single one is entirely different and original, and one even includes a cameo role from John Cleese which is hilarious and delightful. This game took me 40 hours to complete when i was like 11, but only took about 15 when I revisited it last year. Alas, 15 hours doesn't sound long for a game like this but the replayability of getting to know separate characters or being evil instead of good is just fine with me. Also, there are certain scenes that are just so amazingly awesome I'd watch them a hundred times.

Music: Best music of any game ever. Other than journey, anything from naughty dog, deus ex:human revolution and a few other games, this is the best soundtrack I've heard by far. I honestly listen to some of the tracks occasionally for fun!

If I had to rate it 9/10 because the length isn't that long and the gameplay isn't that impressive, but this game still holds up almost ten years later and that's definitely something to say!
  2. Apr 4, 2014
    One of the greatest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I can practically find no flaws with this title, as there are very few, if any. The combat is deep but easy to pick up, the graphics are gorgeous for it's time, the controls are incredibly fluid, the music is phenomenally beautiful, and the characters and plot are extremely well-written, making for an unforgettable experienceOne of the greatest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I can practically find no flaws with this title, as there are very few, if any. The combat is deep but easy to pick up, the graphics are gorgeous for it's time, the controls are incredibly fluid, the music is phenomenally beautiful, and the characters and plot are extremely well-written, making for an unforgettable experience that's very easy to become fully immersed in. I would recommend this to practically anyone, as there is almost nothing wrong with it. This is the quintessential Bioware title for me. Play it if you haven't already. Expand
  3. Oct 29, 2013
    I loaded this into the XBOX expecting absolutely nothing from it but, after 30 minutes I was hooked, I've played many gems (SoA, FF4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Symphonia etc. to put it in perspective) but this is so far the most AMAZING. This severely underrated RPG (yeah, I said underrated) has many quests that will give you satisfaction or make you feel dirty. When it'sI loaded this into the XBOX expecting absolutely nothing from it but, after 30 minutes I was hooked, I've played many gems (SoA, FF4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Symphonia etc. to put it in perspective) but this is so far the most AMAZING. This severely underrated RPG (yeah, I said underrated) has many quests that will give you satisfaction or make you feel dirty. When it's lighthearted it's lighthearted, but when you go dark the game one ups you. The story is simple yet powerful, you chose the next adventure based on your desicions, the game play is also pretty basic but entertaining and the re-playability for this RPG is superb (played again after I just beat it). This one is a heavyweight. Expand
  4. Jun 8, 2013
    A spiritual follow up to the acclaimed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Bioware have yet again created an epic RPG in their own unique style. Without the Star Wars name to fall back on the developers have taken the best elements from their Xbox classic and built upon them to produce a title that, in gameplay terms at least, is arguably even better.

Following an option to take on

Following an option to take on one of six characters the player is thrown into the world of Jade Empire. Unlike The Old Republic Titles the game this time around is a true action RPG. An excellent control system helps make these battles enjoyable and players are gradually introduced to new elements eventually revealing a deep set of options. Combat includes hand-to-hand fighting as well as the use of weapons and magic and combining them based on the type of enemy you are facing is the key to success.

This time around Bioware have built their mythology from scratch and the Asian kingdom in which the game takes place is steeped in a history waiting to be discovered by the player with a storyline that, while not perfect, is certainly interesting enough. As the player advances new characters with their own back-stories will join your party. Only one can be taken into battle alongside you but each brings their own strengths and weaknesses adding further depth to proceedings. Despite the immense customisation options the game does its best to remain accessible by removing tedious item and stat management. When enough experience is gained the player has the simple choice of upgrading their body, mind or spirit. Levelling up obviously helps during combat but interestingly also provide extra options during conversations.

The good/evil system associated with Bioware RPGs is also implemented differently with players instead aligning themselves with different philosophical beliefs. The Path of the Closed Fist dictates that only the strong will survive while The Path of the Open Palm teaches that helping others will eventually lead to rewards. This new two sided morality scale avoids the usual good vs. evil method allowing players to play the game by their own belief.

For anyone that is a fan of Bioware's work, that includes the three Mass Effect titles, Jade Empire is a must buy RPG that offers well in excess of twenty hours of fantastic gaming.
  5. May 8, 2013
    A beautiful game with endless detail and style, a great story and great visuals. Best Xbox game ever even though it's almost ten years old as I write this review.
  6. Jan 6, 2013
    Just how could anyone not love this inspired and beautiful masterpiece? It's story and the dialogues are well written (like KOTOR) but its game play is much more free and, thus, thrilling. The on rails shooter part is a nice treat for fans of the genre but they can be skipped in case you are not. Overall a great game.
  7. Dec 1, 2012
    one of the most underrated games ever. a brilliant story with tons of different choices, fantastic graphics for its time, hard hitting gameplay, tons of different styles, upgrades and ways to fight, great characters, hours of gameplay, and a new and original different world. jade empire is a very unappreciated game and more people should play it.
  8. Nov 18, 2011
    I laugh at those who rate this game with a 10. Do not get me wrong, Jade Empire is a good game, but that is all it will ever be. 'good' not great, wonderful, amazing. just 'good'. Lack of any real story or character depth has lead to the low rating of '4'.
  9. Oct 19, 2011
    sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc sex on a disc
  10. Mar 20, 2011
    I enjoyed this game a lot. I found the story to be engrossing, and the depth to the lore design and graphics were fantastic. The story tends to be linear, but it's such a fun ride I really didn't care by the end. There were also some wonderfully unexpected twists to the story, and by the end of the game I was on the edge of my seat to see how it was going to end.
  11. Mar 17, 2011
    This game is FANTASTIC!!! one of the best games I've ever played, this had fantastic graphics for the time, and the sound is still top notch, the story is fantastic and you really think before making a decision because your choices alter the world around you, and the side quests are AMAZING!!! they are all unique and are just so much fun to play through, and it has some cool things to findThis game is FANTASTIC!!! one of the best games I've ever played, this had fantastic graphics for the time, and the sound is still top notch, the story is fantastic and you really think before making a decision because your choices alter the world around you, and the side quests are AMAZING!!! they are all unique and are just so much fun to play through, and it has some cool things to find out like new fighting techniques, but keep in mind while playing this is really easy (think Fable II & III easy) so you may want to crank up the difficulty, out of all the Bioware RPGs I've played this is so far there best, a must own and it truly earns a perfect 10. Expand
  12. Nov 19, 2010
    Amazing story. A fantastic trip from beginning to end. The brilliant dialogue and talented voice-acting make for an unforgettable role-playing experience. Even the real-time combat style and the diversity of character abilities are a lot of fun (the kinds of things that often tend to be weaknesses in RPG's). With Jade Empire, Bioware struck gold.
  13. Nov 19, 2010

1. Enthralling and beautiful, Jade Empire melds adrenaline-inducing combat with a compelling RPG structure perfectly. Here's an RPG that anyone can enjoy -- Jade Empire is sheer pleasure.
  2. A near-masterpiece. Its sumptuous graphics provide enough eye candy to give your pupils diabetes and its combat system will frequently propel you into new areas just to kick the asses of a few more enemies.
  3. Only one thing stops us from awarding top honours to this game: the lack of a co-op mode, which would have been an obvious inclusion.