Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders Xbox

7.9

1. LordG.
    Sep 8, 2004
    It´s amazing how they have succeded to keep an high frame rate with hundreds of soldiers battling it out on the screen. This is probably the best RTS game I've ever played. If you are a fan of tactics, then you got to try this game. By the way, Gerald is kind of like a training campaign. You have far more options when playing the hard campaigns (Regniers, for instance). You can It´s amazing how they have succeded to keep an high frame rate with hundreds of soldiers battling it out on the screen. This is probably the best RTS game I've ever played. If you are a fan of tactics, then you got to try this game. By the way, Gerald is kind of like a training campaign. You have far more options when playing the hard campaigns (Regniers, for instance). You can hire mercenaries, you very seldom have locked troops, you can change the soldiers duties. Basically, you have more freedom when playing hard campaigns. Expand
  2. YannisG.
    Jan 10, 2005
    Awesome game, one of a kind buy it definately. I have played about 150 X-box games, this is the first time that an RTS game is so good. No other RTS game for xbox can match it. The cons is the music but you can turn it off. Very good story, long game play. Not easy though but that is the value proposition. Definitely a good buy!!
  3. JohnP.
    Dec 28, 2007
    This is definitely a game worth playing and I personally include it in my top ten favorite games. The Good: real-time strategy meets hack-and-slash with a good dose of RPG elements. It offers four campaigns, each with about 10 missions each with varying difficulty and following a different aspect of the war. That makes for quite a lengthy single-player component. Some of the battles are This is definitely a game worth playing and I personally include it in my top ten favorite games. The Good: real-time strategy meets hack-and-slash with a good dose of RPG elements. It offers four campaigns, each with about 10 missions each with varying difficulty and following a different aspect of the war. That makes for quite a lengthy single-player component. Some of the battles are truly epic, and KUF:TC places you squarely in the middle of each one. Seeing a gigantic swamp mammoth lumber pass your unit is quite a breathtaking, although rare sight. Story is surpisingly decent. The Bad: its a difficult game. English voice acting is passable at best, horrendous in some places. Controls take some getting used to. To be good at this game you may have to interrupt what your character is doing to command troops in the midst of battle. Other male gamers may hate me for saying this, but do the Dark legion females all have fight basically nude? Bottom line: its for gamers who enjoy strategy and can endure the learning curve. Expand
  4. Snakelegionair
    Nov 5, 2004
    Absolutely brilliant! a real breath of fresh air from all the usual platform, action adventure and fps's going around. the music is ace and really gets u in the mood and all the strategy and hack and slash action comes in spades!! would have been a 10 if the cavalry wernt so sloppy to control but this is one class game that shows both samurai warriors and kessen how its done!!
  5. FilazaferX.
    Oct 21, 2004
    This is by far one of the best games I have ever played and I have been playing for over 20 years. You do have to give it some time because it starts slow and can be hard to manage. But, after a few hours you will be charging with your cavalry at a group of orcs, laying a trap for a giant scorpion with your sappers, casting a heal / bless spell on your king with your paladin, and taking This is by far one of the best games I have ever played and I have been playing for over 20 years. You do have to give it some time because it starts slow and can be hard to manage. But, after a few hours you will be charging with your cavalry at a group of orcs, laying a trap for a giant scorpion with your sappers, casting a heal / bless spell on your king with your paladin, and taking your broad sword to a dark elf while she tries to freeze you with a spell. AND YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THIS ALL AT THE SAME TIME, NO STOPPING THE ACTION. In other words you will never be bored. I also think the graphics are excellent considering you will have a 100 things on the screen moving at once. If you think you might like a game like this, you will like this one, trust me. [Ed: Welcome back, FX] Expand
  6. MarioB.
    Apr 22, 2007
    Excellent, I like this game specially the relationship between Rithlin and Lucretia.
  7. RavenX301
    Aug 2, 2004
    This game is most likely going to be sweet. I know its pretty stupid that I already gave it a ten HOWEVER I have a stronge feeling that this game is going to rock! (Then again I had a strong feeling that PotC was going the rock only to find out it blows...but that was only becasue of the worst framrate i have seen in a game) Even though I'm giving it a ten well before it hit the This game is most likely going to be sweet. I know its pretty stupid that I already gave it a ten HOWEVER I have a stronge feeling that this game is going to rock! (Then again I had a strong feeling that PotC was going the rock only to find out it blows...but that was only becasue of the worst framrate i have seen in a game) Even though I'm giving it a ten well before it hit the shelves I have a odd feeling this game will only get high 8's or mid 8's...I dont know why..(Unless the reviewers give it 9's becasue of its online play which by the way is the dumbest thing I have heard of....Why the hell would you give a game higher rates becasue of online play? Sure, its great to talk about the online play and its great games have that but for the poeple that dont have online it really sucks when they buy games thinking they will be the greatest and end up being just half-a$$ becasue the other part of the a$$, and the good part, is all online....its just not right!) Expand
  8. JoseH.
    Jan 4, 2005
    This is the best strategy online ive ever played!!! it has eveything i ever thought in my mind about a war game.
  9. CynS.
    Apr 18, 2005
    great game, not alot a replay so only a 9, can't wait for the sequel to come out (great turnaround time on the sequel, by the way). Oh, and don't give something a 4 just because it's too hard for you, Danwise G.
  10. ChrisM.
    Apr 3, 2006
    i think the game excelent but i think it would be better if you could choose which unit for each battle.
  11. Buried-In-The-Box
    Oct 13, 2004
    This has to be the most fun combat/strategy game I've ever tried. I have always gone more towards combat with guns, but this is just as fun, and maybe a little harder than the more modern Battlefield games. The graphics look kinda like Fable's with the softness of shadows and lighting of Full Spectrum Warrior. Very good indeed. What an XBOX exclusive should look like. Draw This has to be the most fun combat/strategy game I've ever tried. I have always gone more towards combat with guns, but this is just as fun, and maybe a little harder than the more modern Battlefield games. The graphics look kinda like Fable's with the softness of shadows and lighting of Full Spectrum Warrior. Very good indeed. What an XBOX exclusive should look like. Draw distance is forever. Controls aren't too hard, but the RTS elements will take time to get used to along with the sometimes hard-to-control camera. It can be hard to get it turned in the right direction before the enemy attacks sometimes and you can't move your troops into correct position fast enough because of it sometimes. It just makes it harder, not bad controls though. Upgrading your troops seems daunting at first, but is necessary and becomes easier over time. Hundreds of enemies on screen at once with very little slowdown and incredible detail on characters, weapons and particle and lighting effects has to be seen to be believed. Blood, gore and big-time particle effects are everywhere. No console should be able to run all this stuff yet, while keeping the detail up there like in Fable, but it does here. Music is guitar heavy, and voice acting and text lost something in the translation from Korea. Sound effects are what you expect from hundreds of troops screaming all at once and swords hitting metal and bone. Think Dynasty Warriors on steroids mixed with Full Spectrum Warriors RTS elements and FF Tactics upgrading system with a little Romance of the 3 Kingdoms thrown in. There is nothing else like this on XBOX, probably because there is not enough room for another game as great as this one. This game was being worked on for a few years, and you can see why after a couple of battles. There is so much going on during combat. Check it out if you like combat and strategy with swords and the like mixed with magic and upgrading. Expand
  12. DustinP.
    Oct 14, 2004
    It is very fun and the online features are awesome.
  13. JaseL.
    Sep 13, 2004
    I am playing this game right now and I must say that it is pretty cool. I thought DynastyWarriors was good, but this blows it out of the water. If you think the graphics and sounds are bad (they are not), then you should go back to playing Mario and leave this cool fusion of arcade/strategy and tactics to others. The main problem with this game is that it will appeal to people who hold I am playing this game right now and I must say that it is pretty cool. I thought DynastyWarriors was good, but this blows it out of the water. If you think the graphics and sounds are bad (they are not), then you should go back to playing Mario and leave this cool fusion of arcade/strategy and tactics to others. The main problem with this game is that it will appeal to people who hold more than a casual interest in gaming. A good comparison : A mix of Myth and Dynasty warriors. Expand
  14. Jan 13, 2015
    there is no game series better then this. i have never ever been so addicted to a game as this game, and im doing my best to get a new xbox original and this game to play it again. ive searched far and wide to find a game that matches this one. in same kind of playing, unit control, upgradeable units whit a bit of fantasy and magic. but ive never found a game even close to this
  15. Nov 7, 2016
    If you have and Original Xbox, Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders, is a worthy title to enjoy. The combination of strategy, tactics and rpg elements is well balanced.

This game is all about war. You start with Gerald, the "easiest" of Heroes. In the beginning you will command one unit but later on, you will have a combination of units at your disposal and choosing the right ones for the missions can make a big difference. Fighters, cavalry, archers, sappers, cavalry archers, axe men, catapults, scorpions etc.

Depending on how your hero performs in battle, you will earn experience. Each troop has a leader, and if your hero eliminates the leader, the whole enemy troop is destroyed. Trying to do so efficiently, reduces the casualties of your own troop and increases SP, needed to cast magic, call on your officers to perform their special abilities.

After each mission you will have the chance to level up your hero, your officers and your troops. Furthermore, in later missions, you will be able to change their job. For example, sappers can become catapults, fighters can become knights, cavalry may become heavy cavalry. In addition, you can buy new equipment which offers bonuses and resistances to specific damage.

Each mission, especially mid game, has more than one objective, and that is fun. It is not always "go a kill all". Sometimes you will have to escort a troop, others you will have to set traps to a passing army.

The graphics are good enough for what the game is about. They are not spectacular, but do the job.

Sound: the music is good and fits the theme of the game. The combat sounds are good, you feel you are in the thick of it. Only the voice acting (the English version) can be a bit awkward.

All in all this game is good and challenging. If you want a game that combines action, rpg elements and combat, this is it.

#19 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2004

1. AceGamez
    I love Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders - it's as simple as that. What's the point in pussyfooting around? I plain and simply love it! It melds two of my favourite genres - hack and slash with real time strategy - and delivers something fresh, exciting and compelling.
  2. Xbox Nation Magazine
    It's this combination of thought and reflex that makes Crusaders exceptional despite its faults. [Nov 2004, p.101]
  3. GMR Magazine
    Although combination attacks and special strikes are possible, battles come straight from the "Warriors" playbook - and fights, no matter how lopsided, are all too easily won by locating an enemy leader and killing him or her. [Dec 2004, p.127]