Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance Xbox

8.5

1. TarikT.
    Nov 14, 2002
    This game really pisses me off as a owner of all 3 next gen consoles, how could Hideo Kojima rip us purchasers of the original and make a bigger version without any warning. This is extremely lame, im defenently not even touching this game.
  2. Will
    Apr 9, 2003
    This game was awesome....a bit too many twists though....Raiden was a bit wimpy and uninteresting at first, he started out unexperienced but by the end of the game he was pretty cool....Not as cool as snake tho. The ending movies talked too much about stupid things such as passing on things to the future which was the MOST boring thing about the game. Other than that the Casting theater This game was awesome....a bit too many twists though....Raiden was a bit wimpy and uninteresting at first, he started out unexperienced but by the end of the game he was pretty cool....Not as cool as snake tho. The ending movies talked too much about stupid things such as passing on things to the future which was the MOST boring thing about the game. Other than that the Casting theater is the one of the best options....VR missions are great too. Expand
  3. ShaunC.
    Mar 9, 2003
    Very good and original, the VR missions and the main game will kepp you going for ages, i have had it for 2 days now, and i love it. Dont buy if you have completed Sons of Liberty already, that's the only negative thing about it.
  4. JamesD.
    Oct 20, 2007
    An amazing entry into the legacy that is Metal Gear Solid. Over 500 VR missions truly add to the replay value and are a must for die-hard MGS fans, along with the new Snake Tales and Casting Theatre. However, for fans who purchased Sons of Liberty and are looking for an upgrade, there might not be enough new content for a purchase. Over-all factastic, but my main complaint lies in the An amazing entry into the legacy that is Metal Gear Solid. Over 500 VR missions truly add to the replay value and are a must for die-hard MGS fans, along with the new Snake Tales and Casting Theatre. However, for fans who purchased Sons of Liberty and are looking for an upgrade, there might not be enough new content for a purchase. Over-all factastic, but my main complaint lies in the slow-down experienced in the X-Box version. The rain effect used for the PS2 version wasn't optimized for the X-Box port, and nearly anywhere rain is present (which can be in large quantites of the game's first portion), the X-box version slows down noticibly, with everything moving in near slow motion. The ultimate version of MGS2? The PS2 version of Substance. No slow down, superior controls, 500 training missions, and 5 new "snake tale" make the PS2 varient the one to own. If all you have is Microsoft's box however, Don't let the technical problems scare you away... MGS 2 is amazing, no matter which way you cut it. Expand
  5. StanD.
    Nov 9, 2002
    This game is great. I have only played a little bit of the ps2 one, and this is everybit as good as that, maybe even better. the control is very good on the xbox pad.
  6. McMooN
    Apr 1, 2003
    The best Metal Gear Solid yet the AI's are very good the story line is good the best sneaking-'em-up yet only thing is rainden is very boring i think that snake is a better.
  7. JamieS.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Good Game, However, like William T said the cutscenes take a long time. I timed the cutscene leading to the final boss myself and it took around 33 minutes.
  8. SolidSnake
    Dec 1, 2002
    This is a HUGE step ahead of all the Metal Gear Games. Even thoudh I don't have XBOX, Certainly i'm getting it for PS2. And I definitley love the way you can play with any desired weapon and play as either Snake, Pliskin, Tux-Snake, Raiden, or the Ninja. I'd rate this a 10 and a 100%!
    Jan 14, 2003
    BEST. GAME. EVER. Anyone who says otherwise deservers to be shot!!
  10. I_likeRosemaryRaidendoes'ntlikeher
    Jan 6, 2003
    THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER (besides Blinx and Kingdom Hearts). Screw everybody who gives it anything lower than a 9!!!!!
  11. FranF.
    Jan 9, 2003
    MGS2:SoL was superb! If you haven't played the PS2 version, you must buy this pronto... heck, even if you have the PS2 version and own and Xbox, this is still well worth the $40-$50 price tag.
  12. BilB.
    Apr 7, 2003
    Fantastic (stupid) story, addicte gameplay great soundtrack (mgs is better) and 500+ missions. The most fun part of these missions is variety mode. LIke go to the goal while not seen by the gigantic soldiers, hang-drop-catch, kill every soldier in the dark while using your'e handgun's flashlight to rely on. Just f..king fun.
  13. WilliamT.
    Nov 24, 2007
    A fun game. Filled with special gameplay and a constantly twisting plot, MGS 2 is great. The only gripe would have to be the long, long, long, long, long, long, constant cut scenes. But if you're into story, then get this today.
  14. JaredJ.
    Oct 21, 2007
    With a confusing story and anoying cammera angels, makes this game a bad one. For the last hour of the game only ten minutes are of game-play, the rest of the time you are stuck with and increadbly boring cutscene, I also hate games where they tell you it is a game! Exampels: *Campell: "Raiden, turn off the game console right now." *Rose: "Your hurt your eyes playing so close to the TV." With a confusing story and anoying cammera angels, makes this game a bad one. For the last hour of the game only ten minutes are of game-play, the rest of the time you are stuck with and increadbly boring cutscene, I also hate games where they tell you it is a game! Exampels: *Campell: "Raiden, turn off the game console right now." *Rose: "Your hurt your eyes playing so close to the TV." *Snake: "Infinate ammo."* With right in the middle of a battel Rose with start talking about Raidens sex-life. Do yourself a vavor, spit on it if you see it in the store. Expand
  15. SteveT.
    Nov 10, 2002
    Holy hell, this has to be the best game on xbox to date. Graphics and gameplay is enhanced. This game will give the xbox a much positive boost.
  16. SolidJake
    Nov 25, 2002
    People who haven't played this need to. so go 'head talk crap about it, it still is one of the best games, and other than that the story is great.
  17. TheNinja
    Nov 30, 2002
    Metal Gear Solid 2 can not touch its counter-part!
  18. MichaelD.
    Mar 11, 2003
    This game is the best Metal Gear game so far.The graphics are the best with smooth controls.My favorite part is skate boarding with Snake it was kind of easy though.The only part I didn't like in this Metal Gear is having to play the original game from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty.I enjoyed it because I had to get a 100%. Being able to play as Snake in the plant was a very This game is the best Metal Gear game so far.The graphics are the best with smooth controls.My favorite part is skate boarding with Snake it was kind of easy though.The only part I didn't like in this Metal Gear is having to play the original game from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty.I enjoyed it because I had to get a 100%. Being able to play as Snake in the plant was a very cool oppurtunity to use his skills and abilities because we all know he is the Legendary Solid Snake.An awesome chance to use the sword more with the VR training missions.I say any true Metal Gear fan will love the great graphics and new came play will enjoy opening the plastic on the case and letting the great PS2 doing it stuff.I give the new Metal Gear Solid 2 :Substance a ten out of ten. Expand
  19. Uter
    Jan 14, 2004
    It starts out great, but the last 3/4 of the game imo isn't very fun. There's way too much trial and error and the environment gets boring after so much repetition and backtracking. Plus the main charcter is the type of guy you'd find in a beauty salon. I also wish the 1st person view was a little better done. It takes so long to get into the mode and aim and shoot that it It starts out great, but the last 3/4 of the game imo isn't very fun. There's way too much trial and error and the environment gets boring after so much repetition and backtracking. Plus the main charcter is the type of guy you'd find in a beauty salon. I also wish the 1st person view was a little better done. It takes so long to get into the mode and aim and shoot that it can be frustrating. 1 main thing I hated was the random places it saved at. Often you'll find your game loading up a few rooms back of where you saved. It's esp annoying when the rooms you cleared and have to clear again were tricky. Expand
  20. JesseS.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Easily one of the greatest games ever made! However, this is a given, when you know you're reading a review ona Metal Gear Solid game. The story is easily one of the most gripping stories in a video game yet. Its one of those that will make you think about things. The graphics have been smoothed pretty nicely from the Playstation 2 to the Xbox, but nothing to completely gawk over. Easily one of the greatest games ever made! However, this is a given, when you know you're reading a review ona Metal Gear Solid game. The story is easily one of the most gripping stories in a video game yet. Its one of those that will make you think about things. The graphics have been smoothed pretty nicely from the Playstation 2 to the Xbox, but nothing to completely gawk over. The gameplay is your standard Metal Gear Solid fare, which is nothing short of amazing. The only problem is the controls on the Xbox. At times you'll find that you wished the first person view wasn't mapped to the left joystick's button. This can be annoying, especialy in certain boss battles that require you to move around a lot. That is just a small gripe, however. Now to the extra features. They add a TON of replay value to the game. The VR missions will keep you busy for hours, especially if you are either trying to hone your MGS skills or boast. The Snake's Tales missions are also great, but they may be a little bit of a disappointment to those who expected to be able to play through Snake's point of view in the big shell. Overall, this is one great game, packed with a whole slew of extra gameplay. Expand
  21. EricK.
    Nov 18, 2002
    Finally, a truly great game for the Xbox other than Halo. I am really digging this game. I don't know about all the extras but the game is fun to play and has an interesting story. Worth the price for any XBOX owner.
  22. KamikazeWarrior
    Dec 23, 2002
    This is a great game that has a good story line and is educational. It is without question the best game out of the series. Once you get into this game you can't stop, with a lot of mini games this game will surely make a great holiday gift and last a long time.
  23. AlexD.
    Dec 26, 2002
    Great game. A full step up from the ps2 version, many new features definetly a great game for xbox.
  24. XSnake
    Dec 29, 2002
    Metal Gear Solid the best action/adventure game. I want PC version !!!
  25. Jun 21, 2011
    Being fair, this game was good, it had good gameplay and an extremely well polished interface system. However the plot line was far to long and involved to the point that I could hardly understand anything that was going on. The story changed direction at so many points, had so many random thing stuffed in it, and tended to be so overly dramatic at some points that it was only moderate atBeing fair, this game was good, it had good gameplay and an extremely well polished interface system. However the plot line was far to long and involved to the point that I could hardly understand anything that was going on. The story changed direction at so many points, had so many random thing stuffed in it, and tended to be so overly dramatic at some points that it was only moderate at best. It was, however, (putting the story aside) a good game and was rather enjoyable. If you want to play this game, it is good. Just disregard the story (or at least the part in the big shell). Expand

#5 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2002
#10 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2002

1. Xbox Nation Magazine
    Quite simply, action-adventure games don't get much better than this... The VR missions alone are well worth the price of admission. [Winter 2002, p.78]
  2. Whilst Sons of Liberty and "Splinter Cell" offer huge, all encompassing adventures; there is no quick fix. With Substance the mission structure allows quick access and it soon becomes very addictive.
  3. The extra missions can be played as either Solid Snake or Raiden, the two heroes from last year's hit game. The VR missions are equally compelling.