Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance Xbox

8.2

1. May 10, 2017
    This game has not aged well and has divided fans of Mortal Kombat since it was released in 2002.

Some say it revived the waning series and some say it is terrible. To be honest I think it did revive the series. Mortal Kombat 4 and the spin off games are abysmal. This was a good game. I like the realistic graphics which show off the body textures and facial features but have not aged

This was a good game. I like the realistic graphics which show off the body textures and facial features but have not aged well. I love the game's soundtrack. The sound effects for grunts, death-cries, punches, kicks and weapon hits are so good they are horrifying. The stage design was good.

The gameplay was refined such as: 3 fighting styles with long chain combos, the use of weapons, reversals, no running meter and moving around the arena. There was less environment interactability in this than MK4 but I think it's better without it.

Some of the best classic characters from the series return and a few mini games return too. There are many game modes that can be played. I love the Crypt concept and how it continued on through the series. Best "shop" for buying characters, costumes, stages, biographies and more. 667 coffins to open. This gives the game so much replayability. I also love the Training mode which was a great tutorial to learn how to play with each character and learn their move-set.

The main flaws with the game are the cataclysmic fatalities we were given for each fighter, although 6 of them were really decent, the new fighters had no depth or likability, some of the mechanics aren't really that innovative, the story was uninteresting and that each fighter could only have 1 fatality.

I'm glad that Ed Boon broke away from the old school system to a more realistic approach for the later games.

It has many notable flaws but overall it is not a bad Mortal Kombat game. I would recommend it.
  2. Feb 16, 2015
    This games is not the 2d game that we all know and love. But it still has the Mk blood in its soul. Sub -zero fan for life and this makes me love him more. I would reply this if I had the chance.
  3. HanifM.
    Oct 8, 2007
    The coolest fighter of 2002, mk deadly alliance will absorb and entertain you unlike any other installment in the series. featuring the most dynamic sophisticated fighting system in an mk game sharp exquiste 3-D visuals and a countless quantity of unlockables this demands a purchase for any mortal kombat fan.
  4. PaulP.
    Sep 27, 2004
    The Deadly Alliance for Midway was the development team who built this trash. Aside from a couple of characters and the fatalities, what does it have to do with Mortal Kombat? The fighting system is completely different, the new characters have some cheesy names (i.e. Mavado, the evil guy named after an all black watch). How about the horrible story mode, where it takes a series of The Deadly Alliance for Midway was the development team who built this trash. Aside from a couple of characters and the fatalities, what does it have to do with Mortal Kombat? The fighting system is completely different, the new characters have some cheesy names (i.e. Mavado, the evil guy named after an all black watch). How about the horrible story mode, where it takes a series of carefully planned steps to create a profile and then to sit through 30 sec load times just to dash forward and backwards through a weak tutorial. Garbage! Give me some classic MK! Collapse
  5. FrankR.
    May 6, 2004
    This is cool and a fun game.
  6. Uter
    Dec 25, 2003
    The fighting is more about having simple fun than showing any depth or balance. But MK has never been about depth or balance. This is a great sequel that takes major steps forward, and maintains the series' traditional.
  7. GaborA.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Take away the only thing that sperated MK from other fighting games: speed. Now theres no combo system and its still not a defensive counter attack game. So all it is is lathargic button pressing.
  8. Astonmatt
    Aug 5, 2003
    Best game on earth. period. hee yee!
  9. IainM.
    Apr 30, 2003
    I think that it is perfect apart from reptile, i thought he looked better when he was the green ninja. i don't like him in this game.
  10. ChrisN.
    Apr 14, 2003
    Awesome game but theres one annoying thing the Krypt system how you cant tell what your buying oh and why everything supposed to be spelt with a c is spelt with a k.
  11. ShaunM.
    Mar 25, 2003
    Talk about combos! Only a true gamer has the patience for this one!
  12. LindsayE.
    Feb 25, 2003
    Awesome characters and graphics as well as fighting moves and combos. BUY IT!
  13. NeilH.
    Feb 15, 2003
    An enjoyable single player mode and a great Konquest section make this game a must for beat 'em up fans. Tons of unlockables too (676 to be precise!). This game must hold the record for most blood spilt in a videogame... It's gratuitous but I wouldn't have it any other way!! Well done Midway.
  14. MikeL.
    Feb 8, 2003
    Great game, combos harder than appears. It will take a long time to wear out.
  15. TarikT.
    Nov 23, 2002
    Probobaly the best fighter game since street fighter 2. Totally feels like the old games, a must buy. Last night me and my cousins where playing this game from 8 at night till 2 in the morning. MUST BUY!!!!!!
  16. MetalInc.
    Nov 21, 2002
    I wish I could do 8.5. The "official" reviews are very shallow...play the game...it is fun as hell with lots of things to keep you occupied. My only complaint.....it has too much blood. Seriously...but it fits in with the overall experience. Besides....impaling someone with your sword and letting it stick out of thier belly while you smack em around is always fun.

#11 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2002

1. Xbox Nation Magazine
    It's just too bad that for every step forward Midway takes with Alliance, it takes two steps back with sloppy gameplay, cheesy, ridiculously gory visuals, and some truly soulless character design. [Winter 2002, p.89]
  2. Game Informer
    With an awesome combat system, sweet graphics, slick characters, a solid one player mode, and gore, what else could you want? [Jan 2003, p.110]
  3. The game developers have setup one of the best fighting systems this side of the original Mortal Kombat but the aspect where MK: DA truly excels greater then any fighter that I have played on the Xbox is depth.