Mortal Kombat: Deception Xbox

• Release Date: Oct 4, 2004
8.8

1. RedRose
    Oct 7, 2004
    Once again a second-rate PS2 port for the xbox. Yawn...
  2. JS
    Jan 27, 2005
    Game suffers from predictability. Balance on traditional fighting game is relatively solid. Graphics are ok. Puzzle fighter is fun. Everything else, especially story mode, is tedious and not fun.
  3. IliyasI.
    Mar 6, 2005
    I think the combo system is the Significant drawback in this game. Would you believe I would have to pull off crazy controller codes, as long as the NES Contra Code for 30 lives to get a combo off !!? Not the best Fighting Engine around.
  4. DanwiseG.
    Nov 23, 2004
    This is a series that has definitely run its course. After playing this game I really feel like they either need to abandon the franchise or take a serious look at what makes this type of game fun. But let's start first with the sound and graphics. The sounds is average at best. The tunes go from inspiring electronic tracks to I want the ability to put my own music on this game using This is a series that has definitely run its course. After playing this game I really feel like they either need to abandon the franchise or take a serious look at what makes this type of game fun. But let's start first with the sound and graphics. The sounds is average at best. The tunes go from inspiring electronic tracks to I want the ability to put my own music on this game using the xbox's under used customizable soundtrack feature. The graphics go from WOW to UGH. Some of the locations are just beautiful but they quicky are destoryed by the Konquest graphics and the levels you fight on can run the gambit as well. The gameplay is fluid unless you go and up the skill levels. Even on easy I found myself just using my weapon way too much and forgetting the button memorizing flustrating combos. The tetris/dr. mario game is fun but gets a little old after a while and the chess kombat is sorta stupid meaning your will just make a run for the "king" and the game's over, little in the way of strategy. Also the Kombat mode could use a task list to help you remember what quests you have to complete. The story is uninspiring and very short. The Kombat transformation of Sujinko is interesting but has little in the way of emotion or story. If you're going to add that RPG element to a fighting game you need to go all the way and actually make it interesting. The character endings are short and leave you wondering why I even care and what happens now. This goes back to replayablity. For a game to play with others I think you can have fun with this issue of Mortal Kombat, but for a game to play by yourself at home without XBOX Live, I would say stick to renting this bad boy or maybe checking out soul caliber. Overall this game is a replay of the last mortal kombat and gives little in the way of progress, I give this game a 5 out of 10. Expand

#35 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2004

1. AceGamez
    Whilst Deception is much better than "Deadly Alliance" and the inclusion of online play is done flawlessly and is great fun, the main single player attraction is just so dumbed-down and chore-like that it's not a whole lot of fun and I couldn't imagine ever going through it again.
  2. GMR Magazine
    Deception is excellent, and its online play and hundreds of unlockable secrets give it more longevity than most fighters. [Dec 2004, p.112]
  3. Deception throws in an extremely polished Konquest mode, the fun Chess and Tetris modes, plus online play.