Mortal Kombat: Deception Xbox

• Release Date: Oct 4, 2004
8.8

1. Uter
    Oct 10, 2004
    While the gameplay isn't hugely different from deadly alliance, the gore level has been nicely increased. The new modes and unlockables are also awesome.
  2. ArmandoD.
    Sep 5, 2005
    This is good fighting game... specially if you are MortalKombat fan. The puzzles etc... are nice extras. Konquest mode is very good idea, bit it kinda sucks.
  3. LuisA.
    Nov 26, 2004
    Mortal kombat deception is the best fighting game ever to hit stores.
  4. RobertG.
    Feb 10, 2005
    The only thing is i dont like the fact that the people are in konquest mode but not playable in the arcade version.
    Nov 7, 2004
    This game is the best fighting game out there. Different fighting modes for each player, awesome combos, even the Konquest is enjoyable.
  6. MarcusM.
    Jan 29, 2005
    It's the best game.
  7. ShaneS.
    Sep 12, 2006
    After playing DOA4 I must give this game a ten. Mortal Kombat has nice simple controls that anybody can pickup and use. The dial-a-combo system seems a bit dated but it's simple and easy to use in comparison to the overly complex button mashing of DOA4. Twice a match you get to use a button called the "breaker button". Whilst your opponent is unleashing a devestating combo on you, After playing DOA4 I must give this game a ten. Mortal Kombat has nice simple controls that anybody can pickup and use. The dial-a-combo system seems a bit dated but it's simple and easy to use in comparison to the overly complex button mashing of DOA4. Twice a match you get to use a button called the "breaker button". Whilst your opponent is unleashing a devestating combo on you, you can hit this button to intterupt his combo and start your own. The game offers a plethora of different characters. Some characters are combo machines. Some are weapon oreinted. Some are special moves users. A lot of them are hybrids. The opponents face each other side to side, just like any oldschool game, yet you can still move around, and dodge. The greatest part about this game is that is sticks with what works. It's simple and easy to pick up, and play. Also killing your opponent via Fatality is always fun. Xbox live works like a dream too. Almost all characters are viable. There's no single pwnage character. Well anyway anybody that's sick of the complexities of DOA, Tekken, Soul Calibre, etc. will love this game. Anybody that likes Tekken, or DOA will hate this game. Expand
  8. WilnesseD.
    Nov 16, 2004
    The blood, fatalities, traps, make this game a 9.
  9. Weirdo180
    Apr 21, 2005
    Man this game is fun!!!!! If you dont like it, well then your weird like me.
  10. Jul 17, 2017
    My favorite Mortal Kombat game.

My favorite Mortal Kombat game.

The graphics are great. The character models, battle damage and blood look better than Deadly Alliance. The soundtrack is good but I like Deadly Alliance more. The sound is reused from Deadly Alliance but the voice acting and sound effects sound way better. The gameplay has been improved with the combo breaker mechanic, stage fatalities, Hara Kiri's and the classic two fatalities system. I love the way that they brought back classic stages from the original Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2 and Deadly Alliance. I also love that they brought back classic characters like they did with Deadly Alliance.

The only thing I don't like is the Konquest Mode. It is a good mode but it's too short and the emphasis on finding collectible chests in which some of them are really hard to find and to unlock most of the extras, team photos, stages, costumes and fighters that are in the Krypt can get really irritating. They should have stayed with the Deadly Alliance version of Konquest mode as it was easier to earn money and you could buy the things you wanted in the Krypt.

Another thing I didn't like is that some of the new characters and their fatalities are bad but not as terrible as Deadly Alliance. Most of the new and classic characters used recycled win animations which was a cheap thing to do. The game's arcade mode is WAY too short with only 6 fights as Deadly Alliance had much more and I think the Hara Kiri's were a waste of time.

Overall, A great Mortal Kombat game. Buy it.

#30 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2004
#41 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2004

1. AceGamez
    Whilst Deception is much better than "Deadly Alliance" and the inclusion of online play is done flawlessly and is great fun, the main single player attraction is just so dumbed-down and chore-like that it's not a whole lot of fun and I couldn't imagine ever going through it again.
  2. GMR Magazine
    Deception is excellent, and its online play and hundreds of unlockable secrets give it more longevity than most fighters. [Dec 2004, p.112]
  3. Deception throws in an extremely polished Konquest mode, the fun Chess and Tetris modes, plus online play.