8.3

1. FPSMaster
    Nov 13, 2005
    I know this is supposed to be a realistic military exercise and not so much a game. And that's cool on PC I guess. But we're talking Xbox here, a console made for playing "games" and having fun. After playing through about 15 missions and playing online for a few hours I was left awestruck at how completely boring and confusing my experience was with this "game". It feels like a I know this is supposed to be a realistic military exercise and not so much a game. And that's cool on PC I guess. But we're talking Xbox here, a console made for playing "games" and having fun. After playing through about 15 missions and playing online for a few hours I was left awestruck at how completely boring and confusing my experience was with this "game". It feels like a game that would have been really cool on PS1 or even Dreamcast about 6 years ago, if you wanted to be bored out of your mind. But now, after playing so many other great military games on Xbox, this even more realistic game just feels too old and clunky. It looks like a PS1 game, a bad one at that, the controls are the clunkiest I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with making even the Conflict series seem to not have as bad of a bogged down control interface as they really do. You move like you have robotic legs and there are just not enough buttons on the controller to deal with this mess that is the controls for this game.The maps are in fact huge, but the battles are broken up into small skirmishes that use no more of the map than a normal online game on Xbox. SP comes down to driving a clunky vehicle to a fight, killing about 5 enemies, and then it's mission completed. Boring. Online comes down to co-op or missions, meaning you can't just duke it out against other people to see who can just take the map over so you're just doing the same boring missions online as you just trudged through offline. The vehicles control very clunky, that is, if you can get in the right spot beside them that lets you actually get in them. Yet another control issue. Online and offline there are too many commands being thrown at you by the CPU, making all the numbers and directions feel more confusing than if they'd just kept their mouthes shut and let you find the enemies. Also, online, you sometimes have to control a cpu unit, but there are also other real people on the maps controlling their own units making an already confusing experiece feel just too bogged down and too much to comprehend. You just never know who the Hell you're shooting at until you kill them and the game tells you it was a friendly, enemy or a cpu character. Speaking of online, the menus and interface are just as bogged down as the controls. Good luck figuring out what the Hell you're supposed to do to change weapons and just enter a server and start the damn game. Sound effects, animations and voice acting are simply atrocious, just like the rest of the "game". The map maker is a joke and won;t even let you change the terrain. So, what the Hell is it for except letting you change up the already boring missions into more boring missions? Basically, get this if you have played everything else EVER, and have nothing left to do. Otherwise, play something that's actually fun and can be figured out to the point where you can actually have a chance of controlling the action instead of fighting with the controls and old feeling this game has. This game, military exercise or sim, whatever you want to call it, is everything but a game and everything but any fun. The only thing it has going for it is the fact that it calls itself the most realistic military game ever. But in exectuion it is anything but that. I would hope our real troops could actually get in a vehicle and kill an enemy. Stay away unless you want to feel like you've never played a game before because that's how this peice of code makes you feel...like you've never picked up a controller before. Not even worth $20, but they're asking $40 for it. Total rip-off and not worth the 4 years they spent redesigning it for Xbox. It looks like it was designed to run on PS1 at most, and reminds me so much of the lame Spec Ops games on PS1when it comes to controls, graphics and total lameness. Expand

1. It's been an utter delight to play the game again, especially as the conversion to Xbox has been handled so well. No self-respecting Xbox Live player should be without this game.
  2. It may test your levels of forgiveness, and stretch the boundaries of your patience, but if you want a game that delivers something close to the unforgiving challenge, tension and confusion of real warfare, then give it a try.
  3. A few minute irritations can't prevent us from declaring this to be nigh-on perfection. Good price too. [Xbox World 360]