Otogi: Myth of Demons Xbox

• Release Date: Aug 27, 2003
8.5

1. Late
    Oct 9, 2006
    In my opinion, this game is overrated. It has its strenghts yes, but I think there's too much weaknesses to call it a 'great' game. The Story is awful. Some half-dead swordmaster is called from the death by the mysterious princess to repair the broken seal between the worlds, eh? May sound interesting, but all you have to do is to kill demons. a LOT of demons. But In my opinion, this game is overrated. It has its strenghts yes, but I think there's too much weaknesses to call it a 'great' game. The Story is awful. Some half-dead swordmaster is called from the death by the mysterious princess to repair the broken seal between the worlds, eh? May sound interesting, but all you have to do is to kill demons. a LOT of demons. But that's not so bad, 'cause killing demons is where otogi really shines. Graphics are good, and that raikoh guy really kicks ass. There are a lot of combo moves and... well basicly everything you need to "purify" (kill) a demon. There is a wide range of weapons and they all are cool. Then there is the level-up system, which I think is embedded in the game to add a bit of a RPG feeling. Well it fails in that. You can see the difference between level 1 and the MAX level, but that's about it. The environments in the game are really beautiful, but when you are in the halfway in playing, there will be a twist in the plot (I bet its the only one in the whole game), and you will have to play all the levels again, but backwards.Bboring, i'd say. So, you kill demons, kill demons, kill some more, kill a mid-boss, kill demons, kill demons, and what do you have? A final boss of course. The final boss (I don't even remember the bloody things name) is also like the plot, it sucks. He just flashes around the battlefield and changes form until you kill him. Didn't like. Well overall, if you want a game where you don't have to think and kill demons at the same time, then Otogi is you'r choice. But if you'd like a more strategic view to killing things, you should consider something else. Expand
  2. ApocalyseBrown
    Aug 11, 2005
    Although the gameplay is very repetitve i can't help but love this game. The sounds are sensual, the colours have such beautiful tones to them and i can't forget the incrediably enchanting voices within it! Its more of a free soul rather than a brutal hack n slash. Simply beautiful.
  3. Uter
    Oct 14, 2003
    I only played the demo, but it didn't seem that great. Graphics were okay, gameplay seemed repetitive.

#47 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2003

1. Guaranteed to satisfy the gamer that craves fast and furious combat, haunting music and stunning visuals. Put your brain on hold and prime those reflexes for one of the most intense action games to hit the Xbox this summer.
  2. An awesome package. It's got great art, stunning visuals, immersive sound, responsive controls, RPG elements, great level and boss design, a challenging difficulty level, and slick, slick style to top it all off.
  3. The graphics, for one, are a veritable showcase of what the Xbox is capable of handling and the contrast between the foreboding sinister worlds and the brilliant colors, which explode on the screen during combat, is well worth checking out.