OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast Xbox

8.0

1. Dave
    Apr 1, 2006
    It pains me to have to say it, but this is a real disappointment considering how brilliant OutRun 2 was on the Xbox. The graphics in OutRun 2006 are the main problem. They are noticeably inferior, being more jagged and shimmery than the previous game. It looks more like a port of the PS2 version - it actually hurts your eyes to play it for too long. Secondly, they have altered the car It pains me to have to say it, but this is a real disappointment considering how brilliant OutRun 2 was on the Xbox. The graphics in OutRun 2006 are the main problem. They are noticeably inferior, being more jagged and shimmery than the previous game. It looks more like a port of the PS2 version - it actually hurts your eyes to play it for too long. Secondly, they have altered the car handling from OutRun 2, presumably to make it 'easier' and although I have got used to it, I still don't like it as much as before. They've 'fixed' what wasn't broken in my opinion. I have loved OutRun since the original in 1986, and I love OutRun 2, but this is a let down. Expand

1. By simply making sure that absolutely everything in the game is designed to remove the usual restrictions on fun, Sumo's created something that practically transcends rivals like PGR3 and Burnout before you even done anything.
    For the absolute best version you need to check out the Xbox game, but other than a few slight technical differences and some control irks you'd be hard pushed to tell it apart from the PlayStation 2 version.
  3. Online play only sweetens the deal, making this one of the best, easily-accessible racers on any system.