8.8

1. Mar 19, 2014
    While I have played racers that have a purer fun factor and others with OTT simulation, this is likely the slickest racing game I will ever play. The mere act of driving through the streets of its many cities is cool in every sense, particularly at night and your favourite track on the in game radio comes on. The difficulty is just about right, arcade mode in particular demands a challengeWhile I have played racers that have a purer fun factor and others with OTT simulation, this is likely the slickest racing game I will ever play. The mere act of driving through the streets of its many cities is cool in every sense, particularly at night and your favourite track on the in game radio comes on. The difficulty is just about right, arcade mode in particular demands a challenge even for gold medals which makes them all the more satisfying once you have attained them.

Graphically still holds up, the cities are wholly convincing and little touches like the cable cars moving in the background of Barcelona or trains on the rails above in Chicago show a great deal of care. Racing feels smooth, not frustrating like sims can be but definitely need a bit of mastery that other arcade racers don't cater for.

Racing style is what the game wants, and you will want to beat the game with as much Kudos as possible after a short time getting in the groove, and ultimately its a game that's very hard to put down.

Buy if you liked the other PGR games, and try it out if forza is just not as fun as you would like, but still want a game with somewhat grounded racing.
  2. JohnW.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Possibly the best car game i have ever played it has it al great physic rendering to great visuals i just loved it.
  3. OlavS.
    Apr 6, 2007
    I am not so experienced in racing games but I love this game, especially if I play it with a friend on a huge TV with split screen. I think its incredible.
  4. Patrick
    Oct 13, 2005
    Two years on and this is still the most enjoyable racing game I have ever played. And the one I keep coming back to. Real lasting power.
  5. MishuM.
    Apr 20, 2005
    Very nice game.
  6. GameBreaker
    Jul 25, 2004
    This game has everthing the original had and more. Better graphics, cars and tracks. Sometimes, especially at night, the cars don't seem as shiny as they do during rainy races. The only thing is , and maybe I just have overlooked it, there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the camera into any position around the car like you could in the first. Also I loved how you could pick This game has everthing the original had and more. Better graphics, cars and tracks. Sometimes, especially at night, the cars don't seem as shiny as they do during rainy races. The only thing is , and maybe I just have overlooked it, there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the camera into any position around the car like you could in the first. Also I loved how you could pick the "knock the cones over" event in the first game and then just drive around the cities. Can't seem to find it in this game. Anyone who thinks the A.I. is dumb should go play the out-of- date Gran Turismo series. Those drivers seem to be hell-bent on killing you if you don't let them by while racing. PGR 2 is what real driving games should have always been. Expand
  7. Hype
    Jul 4, 2004
    Best xbox game.
  8. MattMori
    Mar 18, 2004
    ++++I am not a racing fanatic like some people. For me I just need a good racing game, and PGR2 does it almost perfectly. For people who like GT3 might enjoy this game. The game looks gorgeous and features HDTV function, the reflections on the cars are relative to your surroundings. There are about 20+ real world locations where you can race, and there are over 130+ cars with different ++++I am not a racing fanatic like some people. For me I just need a good racing game, and PGR2 does it almost perfectly. For people who like GT3 might enjoy this game. The game looks gorgeous and features HDTV function, the reflections on the cars are relative to your surroundings. There are about 20+ real world locations where you can race, and there are over 130+ cars with different handling, drifting, acc., and top speed. There are different types of races like, speed camera, street race, conechallange, and overpass. In any race you can SAVE REPLAYS. Damage modeling is included, lights will break, hoods will fold, mirrors will hang off. The addition to the classic and american muscle cars is a plus. Plus its XBOX live enabled. Not to mention Custom Soundtracks. ----Yes, the AI can be a little stubborn and seem unfair sometimes. On Platinum difficulty(Experts Only) it almost seems impossible. It is beatable though. Most of the time, you will have to play the level over and over again, for perfection if you want to be great. Driving 120mph doesn't seem that fast. I think NeedForSpeedUnderground, did a better job portraying speed.Cities do seem empty besides the occational birds flocking or leaves blowing. ===Final Comments: I love this game, it provides several hours of replayability, it runs smooth, looks beautiful, and sounds nice. Its a fun multiplayer and allows you to play w/ 4 friends on one Xbox. The collection of cars is varied and unique. Not really a sense of speed, and AI can be complicated. Overall A great fun, replayable game which can last for months and months. Expand
  9. AndresM.
    Mar 13, 2004
    Best racing game ever, ever, ever.
  10. BobbyS.
    Feb 26, 2004
    The best and most realistic damn game ever.
  11. Timmyyyy
    Feb 19, 2004
    Amazingly great. anyone who says anything bad about this game i'll kick their @$$
  12. MatthieuR.
    Feb 18, 2004
    Great game, but with some nagging flaws: 1)The AI in this game is infuriating. While you will spin out of control when bumped and almost always end up perpendicular to a guardrail, even serious crashes will see the opposing CPU drivers recover quickly and effortlessly. 2)The linear nature of the single player game can get tedious. The fact that you have to "pay your dues" in each class Great game, but with some nagging flaws: 1)The AI in this game is infuriating. While you will spin out of control when bumped and almost always end up perpendicular to a guardrail, even serious crashes will see the opposing CPU drivers recover quickly and effortlessly. 2)The linear nature of the single player game can get tedious. The fact that you have to "pay your dues" in each class before moving up makes some classes really tedious (ie: American Muscle cars). Expand
  13. GeorgeM.
    Feb 10, 2004
    This game rocks. I really enjoyed the different cars, and how each had unique handling characteristics. Great game to rent, but I if you weren't into the Live! stuff, it may wear thin after a couple of weeks.
  14. BenL.
    Feb 2, 2004
    So yeah, this is like the best racing game that money can buy. What made it awesome for me was the ability to have my own custom soundtracks. Like any other death metal fan, I like to have my Morbid Angel, Naplam Death and the like playing full blast . So yeah like I said, every racing game should have custom soundtracks, it should be a standard inclusion. For that I give this masterpiece So yeah, this is like the best racing game that money can buy. What made it awesome for me was the ability to have my own custom soundtracks. Like any other death metal fan, I like to have my Morbid Angel, Naplam Death and the like playing full blast . So yeah like I said, every racing game should have custom soundtracks, it should be a standard inclusion. For that I give this masterpiece full marks. Ben L Expand
  15. Uter
    Jan 28, 2004
    It's great, but they didn't do anything especially original with it. It's a little creepy how the downtown streets are always deserted. There's really not much to complain about though.
  16. CliffT.
    Jan 23, 2004
    I dont know what the guys before me were on giving it a 2 fo god's sake, this is simply the best racing game EVER. I have played so may racing games and none are this good. Go out and buy this game now and get live if haven't already and you'll see.
  17. Louuuc
    Jan 22, 2004
    How can this game not give you a sense of speed? Use the mini cooper in GT3 and use the mini cooper in PGR2. PGR2 will actually be fun and quick. Unlike the boring and incredibly slow cooper in GT3. GT3 = bore.
  18. JasonM.
    Jan 1, 2004
    Obviously the best racing game ever, undeniably beautiful graphics possibly the best ive ever seen.
  19. Greg
    Dec 29, 2003
    this is the greatest racing game ive ever played by far and dont listen to what Dan said at the top and what sean just said a few comments ago cuz they have no idea what they are talking about this game rules.........especially LIVE.
  20. JustinD.
    Dec 23, 2003
    Simply Amazing! The best racing game i have ever played. It is the most fun online game on Xbox by far. Graphics are amazing and sound is awesome. You can even put your own music into the game. There's nothing better than blasting Metallica and doing 150MPH down Florence, Italy.
  21. AmilcarA.
    Dec 8, 2003
    Sure, this game has by far the best graphics of all the racing games, the detail is awesome, if you know the cities where the game is you will actually recognize the places and the stores and every bit of detail. The gameplay is very good, it's OK that you can't tweak the car is not the GT3 style of game, it is not like if you want to do a racing pilot carrer out of it, but it Sure, this game has by far the best graphics of all the racing games, the detail is awesome, if you know the cities where the game is you will actually recognize the places and the stores and every bit of detail. The gameplay is very good, it's OK that you can't tweak the car is not the GT3 style of game, it is not like if you want to do a racing pilot carrer out of it, but it does have a lot better "real life" cars (I mean there is a bit of a chance you get your hands on a ferrari, I can be you'll never have the chance to get your hands on a Toyota GT1... We all really miss the McLaren F1 and the Merc SLR. Plus the Clio 172 should be there as well as the Lambos and the Crysler Crossfire... THERE SHOULD BE A FORCE FEEDBACK WHEEL LIKE THE ONE FOR GT3. Expand
  22. MatthewE.
    Dec 5, 2003
    Too addictive!! Haven't stopped playing since I got it. The best game I have ever played by quite a bit, although Halo is a close second. I can't say enough about this game really...just that the graphics, sound, gameplay and online modes add up to one of the most perfect gaming experiences you will ever have. Fantastic stuff.
  23. HankL.
    Dec 2, 2003
    This game works very well with a Cobra Wheel & pedals for Xbox. It handles well and feels real. The Graphics make Need for Speed 2 and other race games look like a big joke! Buy this game if you love to play auto racing games!!!
  24. RachaelF.
    Dec 2, 2003
    PGR2 is the most beautiful, fun, and addictive racing game I have ever played. Some people complain about the AI, but I think that's one of the funniest things in the game: the behave like agressive human opponents. But you can always play on Xbox Live!
  25. Daz
    Nov 30, 2003
    This is a BRILLIANT game!!! everything about it smells of pure class.the graphics are very good, the game will last you hours and hours and the online game is among the very best around. The kudos system is excellent making you constantly want to have 'one more go' just to see if you can get a few more tokens to unlock some more cars. The cars are a great mixture (i was even This is a BRILLIANT game!!! everything about it smells of pure class.the graphics are very good, the game will last you hours and hours and the online game is among the very best around. The kudos system is excellent making you constantly want to have 'one more go' just to see if you can get a few more tokens to unlock some more cars. The cars are a great mixture (i was even pleased to see the mini there) and all of them handle slightly differently. to sum up - i didn't really like the first game, but i'd pay double the asking price for just half the game if it's what was need to get this excellent peice of software. buy this TODAY. Expand
  26. Roughedge_UK
    Nov 26, 2003
    PGR 2 contains the highest overall production values in any xbox racing game to date. It is obvious the game developers put a lot of effort into pushing the envelope with every aspect of this game. The graphics are amazing, with ultra realistic looking cities. The lighting effects are almost revolutionary in a console game with sunlight streaming through gaps in buildings and shining on PGR 2 contains the highest overall production values in any xbox racing game to date. It is obvious the game developers put a lot of effort into pushing the envelope with every aspect of this game. The graphics are amazing, with ultra realistic looking cities. The lighting effects are almost revolutionary in a console game with sunlight streaming through gaps in buildings and shining on the road suface as well as the vehicle surafces. The water effects used in rivers etc are also excellent. The vehicle control is comprehensively done. When navigating bends the braking timing has huge affect on the way the vehicle responds. This may seem obvoius but you must start turning in the right direction before applying the brakes in order to turn quicker. The cars are very responsive to the slightest difference in braking timing resulting in skillfull driving being notably rewarded. The actual racing experience can be very intense during close races. The vehicle sounds are pretty much the same as any other high quality racer but the soundtrack is another example of the games stand-out quality and ranges from hip-hop and techno to rock, and also has a couple of funky and laid back tunes. The music is presented in the form of localised radio stations. Users can also customise their own soundtrack. A minor criticism is that the computer controlled AI vehicles seem to race in a steady line round the tracks (railroad style). This is a minor criticism in a game that is one of, if not the best racing game ever made. Expand
  27. BenjaminF.
    Nov 24, 2003
    Kudos for this racing game! Mine favorite racer at the moment. I love the racing in style. The graphics are jaw dropping. XBOXlive is also great (unlike what some critics say). Now all attention is focused on GT 4 with it's own great promises......... so far PGR 2 is mine favorite racer ever.
  28. AndrewA.
    Nov 21, 2003
    Everything is awesome! i really like the 300 car thing.
  29. AlexH.
    Nov 21, 2003
    Stunning graphics, perfect playability, superb engine noises,tons to do.Weak points? The radio soundrack is not all it's cracked up to be. Anybody who criticises this game is either a jealous non-owning xbox gamer or a blind mad fool.
  30. GlennL.
    Nov 20, 2003
    BEST RACING GAME EVER!
  31. KeithY.
    Nov 20, 2003
    There's really nothing to complain about in this game. Anyone who has something bad to say must not have spent enough time playing, or either is just a cynic and probably doesn't like giving credit where credit is due. This game is astonishingly beautiful. It has to rate as the most photorealistic game of any videogame, EVER. There is absolutely no flickering, and the locales There's really nothing to complain about in this game. Anyone who has something bad to say must not have spent enough time playing, or either is just a cynic and probably doesn't like giving credit where credit is due. This game is astonishingly beautiful. It has to rate as the most photorealistic game of any videogame, EVER. There is absolutely no flickering, and the locales are so well drawn, you could stop your car on the screen and it'll look like a photograph (minus the HUD). The controls take some time to get used to for the unitiated, but once you learn the beauty of a powerslide, and hear the grip of your 40series tires on the road, you'll be hooked!! Expand
  32. RonM.
    Nov 13, 2003
    I think TeamXbox said it best when they said "Project Gotham Racing 2 is so good in a multitude of areas to be considered the new force to be reckoned with in the racing arena. As of now Project Gotham Racing 2 is the best racing game ever, period. The gameplay with the kudos system along with the ability to race eight at a time on Live AND receive rank updates via the scoreboard makes it I think TeamXbox said it best when they said "Project Gotham Racing 2 is so good in a multitude of areas to be considered the new force to be reckoned with in the racing arena. As of now Project Gotham Racing 2 is the best racing game ever, period. The gameplay with the kudos system along with the ability to race eight at a time on Live AND receive rank updates via the scoreboard makes it unique and somewhat revolutionary as of right now. The graphics and audio are sweet enough to make a Cottonmouth drool. And the amount and variety of the automobiles would be impressive even to Jay Leno. Only time will tell how it will fare when GT4 comes out; we already know that it won?t be able to compare graphically, and we also know that the online interface will be more cumbersome. Will there be enough interesting gameplay elements and cars to challenge PGR2 wheel to wheel? My magic eight ball says ?all signs point to no?. " Nuff said! Hold on to your hats because you've never seen or played a racing game this sweet! Expand

1. 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - 32 gold [Vol 780]
  2. Playing the game through Xbox Live is literally like having a shared arcade machine in your living room. [Mar 2004, p.100]
  3. When it comes to online play, PGR2 knocks it out of the park. [Jan 2004, p.76]