• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 29, 2005
6.7

1. Ryan
    Jun 3, 2005
    By reading the diffrent reviews about Spikeout around the net, it seems that very few people knew about this Sega classic. I was fortunate enough to enjoy this game back in 1999 when I was living in Japan. Spikeout: Digital Battle and the updated Spikeout: Final Edition was such a huge hit there, that Sega arcades in Akihabra and Shinjuku have more then half of their basement floor area By reading the diffrent reviews about Spikeout around the net, it seems that very few people knew about this Sega classic. I was fortunate enough to enjoy this game back in 1999 when I was living in Japan. Spikeout: Digital Battle and the updated Spikeout: Final Edition was such a huge hit there, that Sega arcades in Akihabra and Shinjuku have more then half of their basement floor area dedicated to Spikeout machines (and it is rare to find an empty machine to boot.) Although the home port is several years late, I'm a happy camper that this game is finally made it to my living room. Although I do agree with all the diffrent reviews about this game (such as bad ai, outdated graphics and its difficulty level.) the fun factor, especially when playing with 3 other people is possibly the best in its genre. Many people who dislike the game say that the gameplay is not deep and it is a pure botton masher. The reality is, you wont get very far in the game if you just mash bottons because this game has loads of combos, team combos and juggles. There is nothing more funny and satisfying to pull out 100 plus team combos on one poor boss together with your spikeout buddies. Though I have to admit that despite of all the great new characters and content, the graphics seems to be watered down compared to the original arcade version. Also playing solo is a brutal and painful experience unless your a hardcore fan (then again, even in the arcade version, going solo is not a good idea). So solitary players might get fustrated going through the game in story mode. All I can say is although the port lacks polish and somewhat flawed in its execution, the extras, the diffrent game paths, the great multiplayer support makes this one a good title to pick up especially for those who want oldschool Street of Rage/ Final Fight action. Expand
  2. AB
    Apr 4, 2005
    When I played Battle Street I quickly realized that it would be better as a Streets of Rage game. This isn't because the gameplay is reminiscent of the classic series, but because I was quickly filled with Rage from playing it. And yes, the game is as bad as that joke.
  3. d2
    Mar 27, 2005
    Bring on the old scholl Streets of Rage action. I hope more developers can pay attention to this one ... give us a true Streets of Rage game SEGA!!!
  4. BlueFalcon
    Mar 31, 2005
    I love amusement vision, but this is likely their weakest title to date. The fighting is too simple, and it just isn't very fun.
  5. SamuelJ.
    Jun 21, 2005
    No brotherman on the game? Well thank you Lord, for that would be a great transgression against my people to play a role in this shoulda been Dreamcast title in 2000. May He have mercy on their souls for this release....

1. 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - 28 [Vol 851]
  2. Levels feature numerous boss battles and a stream of identikit foot soldiers, but merrily send the player back to square one when their lone life is over and make the singleplayer story mode an agonising exercise in self-abuse. [June 2005, p.88]
  3. In the end, it feels more like an after pub game than one that you'd spend a whole summer mastering. Simple, easy and ultimately boring, you should pick it up for a fiver if you can.