Steel Battalion: Line of Contact Xbox

• Release Date: Feb 27, 2004
8.0

1. DevestatorClanDecepticon
    Mar 3, 2004
    Pretty cool game hard as hell but rewarding when you get into it. Most of the players are unforgiving to newbies and trying to rack up the kills on their sorry buts. However it is the friendliest gaming community on live.
  2. AdrianC.
    Mar 7, 2004
    This is a truly great game. It takes brains and skill to play and I have been enjoying every minute online. Make no mistake, this is greatly different from the single player game, which i found borderline borring. This version fixes every problem I encountered in the first and, in my opinion, is completely worth the high price of the game controller.
  3. sNaPsNaP
    Mar 3, 2004
    First things first. LoC has some connectivity problems. Capcom seriously needs to address this ASAP. It doesn't ruin the game, but lost connections and some lag do really mar the overall experience. Now, on to the game itself. When you actually get into a good server, this game is absolutely incredible. The controls are tight, the graphics are excellent, and the sound is phenominal. First things first. LoC has some connectivity problems. Capcom seriously needs to address this ASAP. It doesn't ruin the game, but lost connections and some lag do really mar the overall experience. Now, on to the game itself. When you actually get into a good server, this game is absolutely incredible. The controls are tight, the graphics are excellent, and the sound is phenominal. The only thing I was really hoping for, as far as control wise, was a quicker way to turn your VT around during a fight. You have to swing a fairly wide angle at high speed to turn without falling over. Currently there are only 4 maps with 3 different modes of play. The maps are all fairly good sized and offer different strategies to accomplish your mission. The modes are Deathmatch, Container retrieval, and Conquer. Deathmatch is exactly like it sounds. Up to 10 VT's battle it out, in an every man for himself battle. Container retrieval has you cross into enemy lines and steal their containers and return them to your own bases for points. It sounds lame, I know, but it's hella fun. Conquer has you taking over the opponents bases and destroy their cities. Destroying cities is awesome! Watching buildings crumble before you is an awe inspiring site. I expect a lot of content updates out of Capcom over the coming months. New maps, VT's, and special VT parts are all on my wish list. I'm sure Capcom will keep up the support for years to come. If you already own Steel Battalion, then it's a no brainer that you should have SB: LoC as well. If you're on the fence about getting Steel Battalion due to it's high price tag, let me assure you, the original game is hands down worth it. Add LoC on top of that and SB has endless playablity. Expand
  4. RyanM.
    Apr 12, 2004
    Its gotta be the most overpriced p.o.s. i've ever played. Whats with the useless buttons? Flipping useless switches to start the freakin' engine. Whats up with that? and finally, after the 20 minutes of flipping retarted switches and buttons and ignition switches and pedals (you get my drift) you then are launched to an extremely low graffic game of dark squares blasting you Its gotta be the most overpriced p.o.s. i've ever played. Whats with the useless buttons? Flipping useless switches to start the freakin' engine. Whats up with that? and finally, after the 20 minutes of flipping retarted switches and buttons and ignition switches and pedals (you get my drift) you then are launched to an extremely low graffic game of dark squares blasting you with little yellow flairs!... Also, you can't play this game anywhere near a friend because they get so sick of waiting that before you even launch, they press the eject button and force you to go through another 20 mins of setup. Bottom line: If there was a convention of burning games (Much like the old fashoned burning books) this game would be on the top of the list along with it's $200 box of useless buttons and colorful stickers. Expand
  5. JasonF.
    Jun 27, 2004
    The coolest game ever! Almost like your actually piloting a real mech. Great graphics, destructive environments, and a huge 40+ button controller. Pricey, but awesome!
  6. MikeD.
    Mar 11, 2004
    Luckly a local EB Games had 1 in stock so i was quick to go pick it up. wow thats really all i can say. I never played many mech games i think i played one back in the early 90's, but this game is so involved that it draws you in. i was able to get thru the first couple of missions w/o reading the manual. but man i think the game as a whole has a semi steep learning curve. you really Luckly a local EB Games had 1 in stock so i was quick to go pick it up. wow thats really all i can say. I never played many mech games i think i played one back in the early 90's, but this game is so involved that it draws you in. i was able to get thru the first couple of missions w/o reading the manual. but man i think the game as a whole has a semi steep learning curve. you really have a lot to pay attention to on the screen and altho you have a 40 button remote you dont have to use alot of them in the early missions. you pretty much just have to pay attention to your weapons and associated buttons. when you start up your mech each time the remote goes thru a "power up phase" and it tests all the lights w/ a spectacular light sequence show. i found myself playing in the dark just to aww at the remote. so far i give the game a 7 or 8 on a 10 scale. simply for the fact of the following: huge remote (very cool but combersome) learning physical/mental curve (not for your seldom game player or physicaly handicaped player) i dont want to knock it befor i get crazy into it but as a new player i would have made the following adjustments. 1) ditch the pedles and use the left joystick to move forward and reverse OR forward and slowdown (by pulling back on the joystick) 2) you could intergrate a button on the left joy stick for the sidestep peedle. 3) loosen up the (aiming) right joystick a tad. this will prolly happen on its own w. use. altho i dont find the stiffness difficult and relativly smooth, i think if it was a bit looser and freeflowing it would be a bit easier to aim. deffinetly add a memory card slot and voice communicator slot in the controlor my controler had blue buttons vs green(i was happy cuz blue is one of my fav colors) i was worried about the $200 price tag i dont think i will be so into it that i will keep it more then a few months mabey a year (unless they come out with more games that can use the controller *crosses my fingers*) but all in all it is deffinetly a much higher gameing experiance then anything else i have played. I have on douby you would be able to use a regular remote to play the game (at the current time you can not) but you would deffinely miss out on the awsome experiance and sim feel of the game. Collapse
  7. JeffF.
    Mar 24, 2004
    A must buy, order direct if you have to. The community and experience are like nothing else out there. This is quite possibly the future of online gaming.
  8. JesseC.
    Mar 25, 2005
    This game was the best game i have ever played it is the most realistic game out there and i bet if the price went down then more people would buy it.

#66 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2004

1. Edge Magazine
    The franchise is now only a fraction away from realising its full potential. [June 2004, p.107]
    Line of Contact does provide the online experience many players wanted. Even with the steep learning curve involved, the game is something everyone should experience.
  3. If you can handle LOC's steep learning curve, you'll enjoy an experience unobtainable on any other platform - the game is that compelling. [June 2004, p.85]