7.1

1. GregL.
    Oct 6, 2005
    I enjoyed the game, but it wasn't what Spider-Man 2 was. There was no system for building money/credits and upgrading your character. The game was AWFULLY short! It only took me 6 hours. And there isn't a lot to do in the game after the storyline is over. Sure, you get free-roam of the city as either Spider-Man or Venom, but with no credit-building/character building system I enjoyed the game, but it wasn't what Spider-Man 2 was. There was no system for building money/credits and upgrading your character. The game was AWFULLY short! It only took me 6 hours. And there isn't a lot to do in the game after the storyline is over. Sure, you get free-roam of the city as either Spider-Man or Venom, but with no credit-building/character building system it's almost pointless. And the combat seemed dummed down from Spider-Man 2.... a lot more button mashing than strategy and web-swinging attacks. Overall... great game at first, but gets old real fast. Too bad. I really like the Ultimate Universe, too. Expand
  2. MitchO.
    Sep 26, 2005
    I absolutely LOVED the Spiderman 2 game. Honestly, I have to say this is a good step backward from that game. The graphics are very cool, there are more tokens and playing as venom is a nice change once in a while, when you just want to go on a rampage. However, you don't get to purchase any more moves (fighting, jumping, swinging). Without your extra moves, fighting is very bland. I absolutely LOVED the Spiderman 2 game. Honestly, I have to say this is a good step backward from that game. The graphics are very cool, there are more tokens and playing as venom is a nice change once in a while, when you just want to go on a rampage. However, you don't get to purchase any more moves (fighting, jumping, swinging). Without your extra moves, fighting is very bland. Not only are their less main mission, there even seems to be less mini missions. Also, it seems like every boss fight is just something annoying to get through, not something to be enjoyed. I would have giving the game a 10 if they just changed the graphics to the Spiderman 2 game. But, this is a very dumbed down version of it. Expand
  3. EvanM.
    Sep 15, 2005
    This game is probably one of the best superhero gaems out there. It combines the two storys of Spiderman and Venom seamlessly, while you play through both of them. The fighting system has been greatly improved from the one in Spiderman 2, while still keeping the basic formula. There are a ton of bosses, and you have to use your intuition instead of just brute force when you fight them. This game is probably one of the best superhero gaems out there. It combines the two storys of Spiderman and Venom seamlessly, while you play through both of them. The fighting system has been greatly improved from the one in Spiderman 2, while still keeping the basic formula. There are a ton of bosses, and you have to use your intuition instead of just brute force when you fight them. The graphics are amazing looking. Expand
  4. CharlesT.
    Sep 30, 2005
    An excellent and beautiful game, but I sure wish it were longer!
    Jul 19, 2006
    Excellent graphics, storytelling, and fun ... but a little too dificult in some places. Like fighting Rhino the 2nd time! Still fun, and well worth the $20 I paid.
  6. MichaelB.
    Oct 27, 2005
    Incredibly fun. The cel-shaded animation looks awesome. Plenty of cool Spider-Man characters and locales. Playing as Venom is the most fun, of course. I only have a few major disputes with this one. The voice acting for certain characters is pretty bad (namely Peter Parker). And why can street thugs block my attacks but I can't block theirs?
  7. JonathanH.
    Nov 11, 2005
    This game looks sublime, but the gameplay is shockingly disappointing. It's as if the designers have taken a checklist of the best features of Spider-Man 2 and deliberately set out to break each and every one. Most notable is web-slinging, which is now a chore rather than a joy. This game is a crime.
  8. Lars
    Dec 31, 2005
    I was really getting into it, then something terrible happened. I beat the game. This was incredibly short, I beat in almost one sitting. After the game ends, they try to boodt the replay value by adding a GTA style "cause as much destructoin as you can without getting killed by cops" game woth Venom. Sorry, but that and collecting tokens for costumes isnt my idea of a good time.
  9. Nov 8, 2014
    I wish I still had my XBox. Oh, the fun I had. 8 yr old me had a beutiful time with this game, sometimes it got me in trouble with my older sister for hogging the system, other times my parents looked like they were gonna put my talent in the Guiness World Records book. Anyway...
    Gameplay: 7/10
    Gameplay: 7/10
    When I was younger, the gameplay was newest of the century. But when I got older, more free roam games got in my head, so I have to give it a 7
    Graphics: 10/10
    This game introduced a new graphical style where things looked like they were in a comic book. A good pat on the back to the creators
    Wish I could play this game: 20/10
    Sold my XBox, and it went to my friend, Erin. I've been thinking about just getting another one

1. The style and mood captures the spirit of the comics perfectly, and having two playable characters is a feature that turned out excellent. It's a shame that stomping through the streets as Venom while devouring civilians can't make up for the repetitive missions and the appallingly short time it takes to beat the game.
  2. Ultimate Spider-Man may look very stylish and visually capture the essence of a comic perfectly, but the gameplay feels like a swing backwards in almost every department.
  3. Did a purse-holder at Activision one day grapple fruitlessly with the last game's control system and scrawl in their subsequent notes "Make the next one so that I can play it"? Speculation aside, someone sure messed-up Spider-Man. [Dec 2005, p.108]