• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Sep 24, 2002
8.2

1. DooMTroopeR
    Mar 4, 2003
    This game rocks, all the others say that UC is not fun offline in split screen well i think they are wrong Me and my friends play UC split screen against the AI and thats awsome, but some misstakes are made or correct me you dont have vehicles that dissapoints me and when playing 4pl split screen you cant see the names over the players and cant see who you kill that very disturbing and This game rocks, all the others say that UC is not fun offline in split screen well i think they are wrong Me and my friends play UC split screen against the AI and thats awsome, but some misstakes are made or correct me you dont have vehicles that dissapoints me and when playing 4pl split screen you cant see the names over the players and cant see who you kill that very disturbing and the music is good but a little slow otherwise the game is fun it got nice graphic and a very good gameplay =). I think UC is very good for players who dont have broadband or Xbox live... Expand
  2. NicholasB.
    Dec 3, 2002
    Really I have few problems with this game, the graphics are stellar, the gameplay rules, and the gun selection is pretty good. plus they have a chaingun. One big big problem that made me not buy this game is that it doesn't support inverted controls, what type of stupid sh*t is that. It takes the developers literally only an hour to dowload that little change into the game. But no Really I have few problems with this game, the graphics are stellar, the gameplay rules, and the gun selection is pretty good. plus they have a chaingun. One big big problem that made me not buy this game is that it doesn't support inverted controls, what type of stupid sh*t is that. It takes the developers literally only an hour to dowload that little change into the game. But no Atari's to damn lazy to get off there butts and think about the general gamer. Otherwise I like it. Expand
  3. StevenP.
    Sep 10, 2004
    The Unreal tournament series is back! This time it?s out for the X-box game console, with more action, gore, and more entrainment. Unreal Championship delivers non stop addictive fun from the moment you begin the game. Choose your character from a wide selection, find the enemy, and kill! This fast paced first person shooter makes your other games obsolete. It time to say ?Hello? to The Unreal tournament series is back! This time it?s out for the X-box game console, with more action, gore, and more entrainment. Unreal Championship delivers non stop addictive fun from the moment you begin the game. Choose your character from a wide selection, find the enemy, and kill! This fast paced first person shooter makes your other games obsolete. It time to say ?Hello? to Unreal Championships and ?Bye bye? to the likes of Doom and Quake because Unreal Championships is a real Doom and Quake killer. I went out yesterday to buy another game for my Xbox. I went to the cash converters shop in town and I saw Unreal championships on the shelf. I asked myself a question, should I buy this game? The answer was definitely yes! I bought it for a mere £10 the game was second hand though. That didn?t matter I got a great deal and to make sure I wasn?t conned, I went away with the game. I looked at the Unreal championships reviews on the internet and to my amazement it had a fantastic score. I was at that point very pleased with myself. I played the game at home, firstly to see if the game wasn?t damaged and secondly to see for myself on how good it is. From the first ever moment of play I have to say, that Unreal Championship played like a dream. It was really that good. Graphics: I thought the graphics were stunning. Clear as vodka they were smooth and good looking, but not completely photorealistic. If you walked up to a wall in the game there wasn?t a ?jaggered edge? in sight, everything was near to perfection. The graphical detail was so brilliant that at one point I actually thought that I was really walking up and down long dark corridors shooting other enemies that I encountered; to sum up the graphics could blind the likes of Quake?s graphics 100 times over. 9/10 SFX: The sound effects in the game are realistic. I like the chain gun because when you fire it, it sounds very realistic. It?s more powerful and fires much faster. It would certainly put the likes of Doom?s and Quakes chain gun to shame and make them sound like pea shooters. Great SFX is one of Unreal Championships fortes. 10/10 Background music: It really as to be said that this game as got eerie music that is full of tension which somehow seems to suck the gamer into the game. I found while I was playing the game this did happen while I was playing. 8/10 Game play: Unreal Championship proves to have top class game play which will keep you on the gaming bliss. The game is fantastic and so addictive that I honestly could not stay off it more than a minute. Unreal Championships is no slide on ice either, because it is very challenging to play. You can choose the right difficulty setting which suit you. The choices are: Novice, Skilled, Masterful, and God like. I played the game on skilled mode and decided that I had no chance of stopping my chosen character from dying, but I wasn?t frustrated by this at all. It?s like Doom where you can just go all out gun ho on your enemies with a chain gun, but it is much harder because there is no BFG 9000 to save your butt and your chain gun only carries a maximum of 250 rounds, so use your rounds wisely when fighting other enemies, plus health packs are so rare in the game, so using your wits is more important than a gun ho mind. Friendly fire is another aspect of the game which is different because you can kill your friends which adds to the game play and makes in more challenging. So what ever you do, don?t shoot and kill your allies in the game because they will re spawn back in the level and join the opposition so be careful. You can also damage yourself by falling or firing a rocket launcher at a wall at close range. Unreal Championship is not original and there?s no real story line in the game which is a bit of a let down. But Unreal Championship?s game play is so full of choice because you can either play the Tournament, where you get to fight other teams controlled by the computer, or you can just play the quick battle mode which I felt was more fun and varied in many ways. 9/10 Value for money: I paid less for this game because it was second hand but if I was to buy it brand new and at the full price of £29.99 I would still say this game is excellent value for money. It is the variation and the rather challenging and addictive game play which earns this game the brownie points for excellent value of money. 10/10 Game interface: Unreal Championship works very well on the Xbox because you can easily get to know the controls without to much hassle and if this problem still persists then you can adjust the controls to suit you. I found that this was a good idea because it meant that I didn?t have to spend some of my life reading the boring manual which meant that I could just step in the action immediately. Saving the game is a great idea and works well in the game, especially when you are playing through the tournament mode. You can save your game by setting up a profile. It will then save your chosen character and any other data which will be recorded each time you complete a level. Unreal Championship supports dual shock which not only works well it also enhances the feel of the game play. This is handy when playing the game because you know when your character is hurt by any attack from the enemy. Multi player is super because you can play up to four players at the same time on split screen. This mode works like some thing from heaven because there?s no more hassle with buying more equipment just to play a multi player game and there?s still more because the game supports the internet which means you can play up to 14 players on line. There?s a catch through. The first is that you have to register with Xbox live which will cost you some money to buy the modem and then there?s the hassle of installing it to your phone line. The next problem is then getting the people on line to play the game with you. While this is happening you will receive a hefty phone bill. The question is: Is it worth it? I will say yes if you can handle the pressure of connecting the modem to your phone line and then if you are rich enough to afford the big phone bill. 7/10 This is a game with full of promise but it full fills its promises 100% by delivering the goods. This game is a Doom destroyer and classic in the making. Quake be afraid BE VERY AFRAID! Or be quaked to death by this game. A stunna and a most buy for every serous gamer. Expand
  4. JohnS.
    Nov 16, 2002
    Some criticize "Unreal" for just being an unimaginative port from the PC. But "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Let's face it, the environments are terrific (you won't find better, more diverse, or more imaginative battlegrounds around), the weapons are interesting, the controls are easy, the graphics are sensational, it has bots/teambots (for solo play), and includes Some criticize "Unreal" for just being an unimaginative port from the PC. But "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Let's face it, the environments are terrific (you won't find better, more diverse, or more imaginative battlegrounds around), the weapons are interesting, the controls are easy, the graphics are sensational, it has bots/teambots (for solo play), and includes several game variations, including a football-like game that is terrific. It's a pure adrenaline game that is executed beautifully. There is only the most threadbare story to keep the main story alive, but face it, this is a multiplayer game. In fact, it is THE multiplayer game for the console: "Timesplitters 2" has great multiplayer, but awkward controls, and "Halo" is officially de-throned thanks to the inclusion of bots in this game. The only cons could be easily solved with Xbox Live downloads -- give us vehicles, maybe some low-tech weapons to make things interesting, and keep those game variations coming ("King of the Hill" would be great). But vehicles would be a welcome, and much rumored, addition. As it is, this is a solid "9" and a must have for multiplayer fans. Expand
  5. SpiderP.
    Nov 27, 2002
    This game is one of the best Xbox live games fast paced and fun. Recommended by Spider.
  6. JeffT.
    Dec 1, 2002
    If you don't have a good gaming PC than I would bump this to an "8" for the Xbox, but it all boils down to resolution and framerate, and in those regards the Xbox falls short. The online play is very good, but the animation is poor. If you have a PC that can play Unreal Tournament 2003, don't bother with Unreal Championship for the Xbox.
  7. DaveN
    Dec 1, 2002
    Has anyone even played this game? The framerate slowdown experienced in any large environment is UNACCEPTABLE. It renders the game virtually unplayable. Shame on the reviewers who keep mentioning it as a "small" problem. Small if you only play the game for an afternoon. Try slogging through a Live game with multiple players in any outdoor map. UN-PLAY-ABLE. Stick to Mechassault.
  8. MarkC.
    Dec 2, 2002
    This game desperately needs a multiplayer split screen mode that you can play WITHOUT accessing xbox live. If you don?t have xbox live, your friends get to watch you play. Fun? Not.
  9. [T]redoslop`_2003Eliaslock`
    Dec 4, 2002
    Not a port of UT2k3-UT2k3 was actually a spun-off of Unreal Championship!
  10. Mr.Freeze
    Dec 6, 2002
    Off the heezy fo' sheeezy, believe me! Off the chain multiplayer cuzzin'! Ya heard!
  11. GeorgeBush
    Dec 7, 2002
    Actually it does have inverted controls. Its in the tutorial. After it tells how to look around it asks you if you want the controls inverted and you can pick "yes" or "no". But inverted controls suck anyway.
  12. GamingGuru
    Jan 1, 2003
    Shouldn't some of u people try playing this wicked game before criticising it. What sort of a dumb person doesn't think it has INVERTED controls maybe you should try opening YOUR FU..... EYES. This game rules so play it and get to know it before you open you bloody mouth. P.S Mechassualt SUCKS!!!!!!!
  13. KeithY.
    Apr 8, 2003
    I got this game in Feb. 2003 (for $25 new) and instantly went online. It's a decent experience, but isn't as fun as I'd hoped. I'm a veteran FPS player but haven't been as impressed with this game as I was playing Unreal over the SegaNet server (and that was dial-up). If you have broadband internet and Xbox Live, I'd recommend a rental first. Judge for I got this game in Feb. 2003 (for $25 new) and instantly went online. It's a decent experience, but isn't as fun as I'd hoped. I'm a veteran FPS player but haven't been as impressed with this game as I was playing Unreal over the SegaNet server (and that was dial-up). If you have broadband internet and Xbox Live, I'd recommend a rental first. Judge for yourself before you buy - UC isn't quite what you'd expect. Expand
  14. PearceO.
    Apr 2, 2007
    WOW! Really intense game. Really fast game play. Not much different than the sega version though. Great game otherwise.
  15. MarkD.
    Dec 3, 2002
    It DOES have split screen multiplayer. Go into instant action mode, start a game, and then, during the game, push start on the other controller. For the sake of framerate, you can only have up to 3 people. Great game, amazing graphics.
  16. Master_chief
    Feb 12, 2003
    OK..... WHAT ARE U WAITING FOR!!!... go buy it now and dont forget ur xbox live kit. and plz stop listening to those FU@#% idiots, ull see that this is the most funny game online (only) trust me!!! And dont read again those comments its bull@#%
  17. Alex
    Jun 17, 2005
    Fun, but the single player is somewhat lacking, and Live is just too laggy to be fun anymore. best played with friends who are over at your house. definitely a try before you buy title.
  18. BrittanyT.
    Dec 27, 2002
    Wonderful controls (finally!) Intersting characters, but nothing to back up their background info; not a whole lot of story. Needs cheering fans and more arenas that challenge skill, otherwise this game can be quite entertaining (especially in bomber's run!) That's like football with a very nasty edge...

1. 7 / 6 / 6 / 8 - 27 [Vol 788; 23 Jan 2004]
  2. It's by no means anything remotely original, borrowing almost all of its ideas from a three year old PC game, but in terms of console fragfoolery, it's up there with the best of them for visual splendour and all out intense action.
  3. Strafing and running is fine - even more natural feeling than when a keyboard is used - but the Xbox controller's right analog stick just can't compete with the precision of a mouse. [Winter 2002, p.84]