• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Feb 10, 2004
  • Also On: PC
5.3

1. Sep 11, 2014
    The game is really just generic and clichéd. That's all there is to it, really. There's nothing that makes it particularly stand out from other shooters of the same time period; while it still has some fun run-and-gun gameplay, the storytelling and exposition are absolutely terrible. That combined with their very obvious attempt at trying to make likeable characters, but falling flat by making them all cliché, underused, and unlikeable, and you have just a generic mediocre game. However, it still had some gameplay sections that could have redeemed it.

There's the problem though... that would be if we were talking on the PC. On PC, the graphics were actually laudable for the time, you could free roam the ship between missions, and there were few bugs. All of these are things the Xbox version failed at.
    In the Xbox version, you can't walk around your ship eternal missions: you're just ferried around on rails talking to the unlikeable characters as they tell you some random thing about your weapons or mission. The graphics on the Xbox are laughable, with some truly horrid modeling that was obviously condensed, as well as some textures lower res than the original DOOM, and basically an absence of ANY effective lighting or shading. Also, the game is ridiculously buggy. One instance that comes to mind is about the end of the game where the Skaarj are attacking this base (or at least I think that's what was happening; once again, poor exposition) and you have to get to the top of the base. When me and my dad played this coop, we realized all the ladders and the elevator were broken and would fling us off toward the ground and kill us if we tried to use them within 30 seconds of each other.
    In the end, there were only a few gameplay sections in this game that were at all fun (though annoying, there was a section where you have to escape a ship that's falling apart... it was alright). The best part of this game is grabbing someone to play coop with and having some good laughs at its expense.

1. The game's first few hours are dreadfully boring, full of genre cliches and pointless firefights. [Apr 2004, p.84]
  2. As a single-player experience, Unreal 2 is undoubtedly one of the more forgettable shooters on the Xbox; joining the likes of "Jedi Academy" and "Soldier of Fortune 2" in that club of below par PC ports that have been unceremoniously dumped on owners of this capable machine.
  3. Ugly, jerky, and all round poorly presented characters culminate in cut scenes that you’d wish you could just skip right on.