8.9

1. Nov 29, 2011
    Heavily underrated game. The missions are presented very well, the weapons are a ton of fun to use, and the optional cheats are good for a few laughs (squeaky voices anyone?). It's immensely satisfying killing the baddies in this game, the deaths are sometimes comical and sometimes gruesome. Headshots are beautiful, with the camera view flying right to them as their head explodes. I'dHeavily underrated game. The missions are presented very well, the weapons are a ton of fun to use, and the optional cheats are good for a few laughs (squeaky voices anyone?). It's immensely satisfying killing the baddies in this game, the deaths are sometimes comical and sometimes gruesome. Headshots are beautiful, with the camera view flying right to them as their head explodes. I'd recommend this game to any Xbox owner, the only downside is it isn't backwards compatible with the 360 :( Expand
  2. Jul 13, 2014
    As others have stated, this game is HIGHLY underrated, and is one of my top underdog games of all time. Anyone screaming that the level of uber-'murica patriotism is sickening needs to realize that this game came from a UK company and this is without a doubt satire to-the-max.

As far as the gameplay goes, it appears to be the typical run-and-gun on the surface, but goes slightly deeper than that. A wide range of weapons from two dynamically different groups, ranging from high tech firearms to lower tech cleavers to your trusty riot shield (which will endlessly save your hind-end) ensure plenty of options to dispatch your enemies. While kill 'em all is always the easiest way to clean up the streets, some optional objectives call for less-than-lethal results.

And these optional objectives, as well as numerous difficulty levels, offer different rewards in the form of new weaponry, equipment and other various perks. And to me, this is where the replay value holds. On one level and difficulty setting alone, one optional objective may be to run the level in X:XX time, while another calls for X headshots and another calls for the non-lethal pacification of the gang's leader. Many times this alone may take several runs through. Up the difficulty and you get a new set of objectives along with more aggressive enemies. I am by no means a completionist, but I felt compelled to replay each level until I met every objective. The only modern game that had this type of feel, in my opinion, was The Club; but that game fell short.

Graphics, by the old Xbox standards for pretty fair to good. Music in the menus is a bit repetitive but tolerable. Voice acting, well, it fits the campy, satirical nature of the game, so no complaints there.

In all honesty, this game is the only reason I've held on to my old Xbox. It never made it to the 360 BC list, and, sadly, I don't see an HD remake coming anytime in the future. But even owning a 360 and an Xbox One, I occasionally find myself wanting to pop it in a kill some Burners.

1. It looks underwhelming, but spend a little time with Urban Chaos: Riot Response and it quickly stands out from the crowd.
  2. The graphics are surprisingly impressive, movement is smooth and, despite the occasional feeling of repetition, the action is constantly fast-paced and compelling. [June 2006, p.118]
  3. Ultimately, Urban Chaos doesn't have the reach to deliver what it promises, and ends up retreating into cliché. A few months more, a few dollars more and this could have made a much more defiant stand. [June 2006, p.93]