10 Things I Hate About You

7.0

1. Jul 3, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: '10 Things I hate about you' is actually a lot of fun because it doesn't take itself too seriously, but still manages to build characters that we can connect to and care about.
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Striking the balance on that though is always going to be tricky, and thus this film can't get away from just how cringe-worthy it is, but in taking itself less seriously, it ends up fairly story-less
    VERDICT: For what it is it's one hell of an enjoyable ride - even if it doesn't quite hit the right balance between emotional moments, and spoof comedy.

While the attractive cast is willing, the translation into '90s teen culture is weak -- like a clueless adult's notion of cool.
    And yet ... gee, the movie is charming, despite its exhausted wheeze of an ancient recycled plot idea.
    What sets this apart from its many competitors for teen dollars is that not only does the movie feature a surprisingly edgy and intelligent script, but it offers a group of characters capable of holding an audience's interest for more than 90 minutes.