7.8

1. Sep 29, 2011
    I'm not normally one for Romantic teen movies, but I really enjoyed this movie.

The whole cast do a great job, but special praise has to go to Heath Ledger, who sadly is no longer with us. He's great in this movie, as is the rest of the cast.

Larisa Oleynik looks absolutely stunning in this movie, and you can see why its a case of love at first site for Cameron.
  2. Jan 25, 2013
    This film works because the audience are given a group of well rounded characters; many of which are quite likable, which helps. These are then put into a sequence of situations that resolve themselves into a satisfactory conclusion. Of course we are taken on quite a journey before this conclusion and I can see how some may find the plot a little hard to follow. Fortunately I have read the Shakespeare play and even seen it performed and so am familiar with all its twists and turns. I love the way it Expand
  3. Jul 17, 2012
    I resisted seeing this film for a long time, and to be honest I've no idea why. 10 Things I Hate About You is relatively self-aware for a highschool rom-com, and affectionately pokes fun at some of the genre's most annoying cliches. It also has a wacky comic energy and some hilarious dialogue which is the perfect mix of the bright and verbally dexterous and the very, very crude. There are decent performances across the cast, particularly from the effortlessly natural Julia Stiles and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Heath Ledger as a borderline sociopathic rebel-turned-lover-boy. Allison Janney is also brilliant as the entertainingly filthy school counsellor and aspiring erotica writer. It makes a refreshing change for a teenage comedy film to have a believably-aged cast, though the key players were aged 18-20 when the film was made, at least they weren't in their late twenties or early thirties as they sometimes are in Hollywood highschool films. Where the film pleasingly has its own identity for most its run-time, it does disappointingly sink to the level of every other teenage romantic comedy in its final act. At this point it feels a little like screenwriting pair Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith ran out of interesting ideas and just delivered all the soppy stuff you come to expect from this kind of film. And though Ledger is delivers a good performance, his accent is all over the place, and this is accounted for with some clumsy exposition about his character spending his early life in Australia. It might have been a little less jarring if Ledger stuck to one dialect or the other. Despite a generic ending and a couple of story elements that don't quite work, 10 Things I Hate About You is a smart, fun, heart-warming and hilarious romantic comedy, and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like romantic comedies. Expand
  4. Feb 2, 2012
    I just really enjoy this movie. It's fun to see some well known actors (Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, and Joseph-Gordon Levitt) in earlier roles. It's a fun adaptation of the beloved Bill Shakespeare play. A good date movie, because both man and woman can get something out of it.
  5. Jun 4, 2012
    Excellent movie full of great characters. The late Heath Ledger was very good in this (as well as everything else he did) as was Julia Stiles. It requires you to not think too much of course, but most good movies are like that, that's what they are for after all.
  6. Mar 23, 2013
    Classic teen flick accurately representing the late 90s. I'm still writing because they said this has to be 150 characters long, so im still writing because apparently i haven't reached that yet.
  7. Sep 17, 2013
    This film can be watched in any generation whether it's the 90's or now and it still raises relevant problems for teenagers. It's exactly what all teenagers go through, problems with relationships which will be relevant in any day and age
  8. Mar 6, 2014
    I just don't get the characters. And the whole story to be honest. But I don't blame the actors nor actresses, rather the script. It's not funny but neither realistic. Didn't like it, but either didn't hated it.
  9. Jul 17, 2014
    This is one of my favorite Teen Comedies, it's very wise and great modern day Shakespeare Adaptation. Heath Ledger puts on a charming performance, Stiles And Levitt put on great performances too

While the attractive cast is willing, the translation into '90s teen culture is weak -- like a clueless adult's notion of cool.
    And yet ... gee, the movie is charming, despite its exhausted wheeze of an ancient recycled plot idea.
    What sets this apart from its many competitors for teen dollars is that not only does the movie feature a surprisingly edgy and intelligent script, but it offers a group of characters capable of holding an audience's interest for more than 90 minutes.