5.9

1. Nov 6, 2010
    not terrible, but not that good.
  2. Oct 3, 2011
    I know that this film is an epic, but I will not be influenced by this or I will base my critique on the fact that a film is epic or not. I actually think the movie a big failure in cinematic terms. But for watching with family at times like Christmas or Easter is perfect, and the kids do not dislike.
  3. Nov 17, 2014
    Despite a superb performance from Glenn Close as Cruella de Vil 101 Dalmatians never achieves more than any other mid-level Disney film like Beethoven. It's far from terrible but almost everything in it has been seen before and you'd be much better off watching the more entertaining cartoon version.
  4. Dec 23, 2012
    Entertaining film but surreal.
  5. Mar 16, 2013
    This, for me, is truly something of a unique film. It has all the corniness and cheap slapstick of a plethora of other comedies cashing in on popular trends which in this case, was "Home Alone" while otherwise being painfully sappy. Yet, for some reason, "101 Dalmatians" doesn't bother me when it's corny. And I think it's because it's so thoroughly and consistently corny that you justThis, for me, is truly something of a unique film. It has all the corniness and cheap slapstick of a plethora of other comedies cashing in on popular trends which in this case, was "Home Alone" while otherwise being painfully sappy. Yet, for some reason, "101 Dalmatians" doesn't bother me when it's corny. And I think it's because it's so thoroughly and consistently corny that you just end up buying into this strange pseudo-cartoon world they build. It knows how silly it is and just enjoys itself nonetheless, and the result is a movie you really just can't help but like. It's so innocent and fluffed with lighthearted chuckle that it's very hard to call it unenjoyable, no matter how bad one might consider it. And of course, you have Glenn Close turning in a gleefully over-the-top performance as Cruella DeVil who, by the way, turns everything she touches into some awesome piece of art direction and an affectionately charming and humorous Hugh Laurie as one of her bumbling dognappers. This was never meant to be taken seriously. That's clear from the start. And I honestly have to call it a guilty pleasure. Expand
  6. Jul 16, 2013
    A very entertaining film that has some hilarious stuff to share and some great acting (especially from Glenn Close). Overall, the film is very entertaining and it sticks to the Disney's animated film very well. I really enjoy this film.
  7. Mar 22, 2014
    101 Dalmatians was a heartwarming, enjoyable Disney movie in 1961. This version doesn't smother the name, but it takes a more sinister angle that is trying to be more than it is. Perhaps Cruella's antics just didn't translate well from animation to live action.
  8. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie is a classic! Maybe I am the only one who actually prefers this version to the animated one, but I am a Disney lover and think this one has more depth. Glenn Close was perfect casting for Cruella De Vil. She is actually evil, and really brings the character to life. Plus the dogs are so much cuter in real life!

What's funny in cartoons is not always funny in live action, and some of the dunkings in unsavory substances left me less than amused.
    Even children, who will be enthralled by all the puppies, may have a hard time not fidgeting for protracted portions of the running time.
  3. Though this film's considerable warmth derives from dalmatian puppies and other animals who take charge of their fates, Close steals the show.