8.0

1. Dec 1, 2010
    Danny Boyle's filmmaking skills turn a relatively static situation into dynamic cinema. This film is based on the true story of Aron Ralston (played by James Franco), who was hiking alone in Utah, when his arm got trapped under a bolder. To keep it involving, his attempts to free himself are intercut with his survival efforts, flashes of imagination, and even humor. The exceptional editingDanny Boyle's filmmaking skills turn a relatively static situation into dynamic cinema. This film is based on the true story of Aron Ralston (played by James Franco), who was hiking alone in Utah, when his arm got trapped under a bolder. To keep it involving, his attempts to free himself are intercut with his survival efforts, flashes of imagination, and even humor. The exceptional editing and Franco's compelling performance solidify the effect. The self-amputation scene isn't so harrowing that it should keep you away. Expand
  2. Mar 24, 2012
    I am not affraid to say 127 hours is better than Slumdog Millionaie. This film by Danny Boyle is a masterful slice of 4 star cinema. James Franco is remarkable and without the usual cliches of survival movies. the movie's ending is emotional with its moral of to never give up and to think about the ones you love most.
  3. Sep 26, 2011
    With bizarre cinematography and a talk show like environment, what Danny Boyle announces to the audience in "127 Hours" is not James Franco as the winner (Still, he was cool). He presents to us that, between all those blood, sweat, and urine spilled, its the perseverance of man that claims victory.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    An almost faultlessly directed, wonderfully well-acted inspirational drama, featuring a lovely soundtrack.
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    The film is original on the way it is filmed. The claustrophobic environment sucks the audience in and truly makes them feel for the hero, Franco, who's performance is undeniably good.
  6. Mar 26, 2012
    What a shame. After such a glorious win for Danny Boyle for Slumdog, this is unfortunately a piece of trash. I give credit where credit is due though. The directing style was different, and it was an unusual story from the rest of Hollywood crap. However, in the end it did nothing for me. James Franco was annoying and mediocre at best. It was dreadful to watch and the second time I saw itWhat a shame. After such a glorious win for Danny Boyle for Slumdog, this is unfortunately a piece of trash. I give credit where credit is due though. The directing style was different, and it was an unusual story from the rest of Hollywood crap. However, in the end it did nothing for me. James Franco was annoying and mediocre at best. It was dreadful to watch and the second time I saw it was worse. Expand
  7. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    This is a fantastic movie of survival and how far humans will go to survive. I was impressed with Danny Boyle's direction and James Franco's heroic performance.
  8. Sep 8, 2012
    127 Hours is a fine film. That said, once you've seen it there is nothing to really draw you back. I enjoyed the respectable performance from James Franco and Danny Boyle's sharp directing. And that tendon tweaking scene... OOooowwwwww!
  9. Nov 15, 2010
    What an inspirational story. I had high hopes for this movie, and it delivered. Anyone not seeing this film because of the "money shot" needs to see it. Yes, it happens and is necessary, but it doesn't dominate the film. It truly puts your trivial daily problems in perspective. Franco is outstanding, and Danny Boyle delivers yet again.
  10. Mar 23, 2012
    This is a deeply moving film. It is one of those films that can change your life when you watch it, and that my friends, it what makes a movie truely great.
  11. Jan 2, 2012
    Brutal, intense and sometimes too much to watch. James Franco leads this movie to safety with a mind blowing performance. I give this DISTURBING movie 84%.
  12. Dec 8, 2012
    An absolutely fantastic film! A powerful, touching, and inspirational film that is truly one of a kind. Fantastically shot and brilliantly directed by Danny Boyle, this film captures what I thought could never be an intriguing story. I was so wrong! This film delivers in so many ways that I never imagined. It is undoubtedly worthy of all the praise it received. This film would have hadAn absolutely fantastic film! A powerful, touching, and inspirational film that is truly one of a kind. Fantastically shot and brilliantly directed by Danny Boyle, this film captures what I thought could never be an intriguing story. I was so wrong! This film delivers in so many ways that I never imagined. It is undoubtedly worthy of all the praise it received. This film would have had zero effectiveness had it not been for the Oscar nominated performance by James Franco. He brilliantly portrays the trapped Aron Ralston as he cycles through countless emotions. His talent and his maturity as an actor shines here; this performance solidifies him as one the best young actors today. The film also has great cinemtography and a brilliant musical score by A.R. Rahman.

As for the arm scene. You've probably heard of it. It's gory and disturbing both visually and sound wise. However, it's a brilliant part of the story that is essential to it's message, the scene is not bad when you think of it in light of what else is happening.

127 Hours...a brilliant, brilliant film. One of the best of 2010, and truly one of a kind. I absolutely recommend it!
  13. Dec 8, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Aron Ralston(James Franco) wasn't always a loner, the anomic man we see shouting "me, the music, and the night" as he rides toward the Utah mountains, on a bike, all by his lonesome and loving it. Aron's solitary trek to Bluejohn is juxtaposed against shots that depict large masses of people which preceded his frenzied peddling into oblivion. He's running away from something. But what? The free spirit can't hardly wait to leave civilization behind, preferring the outback to the city, and the people who reside there, and possibly, the people who don't reside there anymore. How Aron got to this extremity is a mystery. That's the heart of "127 Hours", which is adapted from his 2004 memoir "A Rock and a Hard Place". The flashbacks that the film provides calculatingly leaves out the particulars which would account for his solitary ways. Aron is avoiding something painful. The narrative that his reflections form leaves a lot to the imagination. When the self-proclaimed superhero isn't musing over the mother he ignores, interspersed with fantasies about food and drink, and, of course, escape, the suddenly thoughtful man reminisces about the relationship he had carelessly abdicated from. Aron fixates on the moment after sex, not the sex itself, since by all appearances, sex no longer interests him(the two hikers, played by Amber Tamblyn and Kate Mara, go unmolested), but perhaps, intimacy does, in which he remembers a woman's touch at the same time an ant traverses over the same cheek as that fingertip. As Aron brushes off the offending insect, perhaps, the error of his ways(loving nature more than people) finally dawns on him, realizing too late that this love for the outdoors can't be reciprocated. The dismissal of the ant is representational of the way he brushed aside his college girlfriend, who he first locked eyes with, ironically enough, in an area dense with warm bodies, a car crammed full of young libertines, stripping down to nothing with the snow falling just outside their fogged-up windows. Aron's memories are selective ones, but the moviegoer can hazard a guess as to to how this seemingly normal man, so at ease in mixed company, packed like sardines, could end up feeling estranged from the crowd at a basketball game. Aron entered that arena as part of a couple, but he left alone, and presumably, has been single from that moment on. What happened? Although the father is referred to at the outset of "The King of Comedy"-inspired interview that Aron conducts with himself, the elder Ralston is, more than likely, dead, since the father figures only in his childhood reflections, and ultimately, gets no final "I love you" from the prodigal son during that last entry in his video log. Something changed the trajectory of Aron's life, a galvanizing event that led him to the outback, but the filmmaker shrewdly withholds the particulars behind this fundamental transmutation in the man through omission. Like Scooby-Doo(seen twice in the film), the moviegoer is confronted with a mystery, a solvable one, because the clues provided by Aron's psyche indicates a familial tragedy. Quite pointedly, he tells the girls, "Can't take off my face," like all those Scooby-Doo villains who were unmasked at the end of every episode. They weren't monsters, after all, but Aron is, that's how he feels. When he leaves the two hikers, one of them says, "I don't think we figured in his day at all," and she's probably right. Aron is f*cking the pain away. In a sense, he's f*cking the rock formation. Penetrating the cut, Aron runs his hand across the flat surfaces as if he was caressing skin. All that touching, though, comes back to bite him. Arguably, the boulder that traps his hand can be construed as a metaphor for "vagina dentata", the toothed vagina myth. Humiliated by the rock formation's rebuffing of his overtures, Aron gets ready to utilize the free hand on himself as revenge sex against nature, but because he's a gentleman at heart, the spurned lover turns off the video camera, in which a freeze-frame of some prime cleavage would have served as his inspiration. This lust, however, makes him human again. Aron is over the mountain. She's a biter. Expand
  14. Mar 25, 2011
    Danny Boyle describes through an incredible Franco, the ordeal with vivid, intimate details. You feel everything from the visceral agony to the utter triumph. He once again proves how versatile of a director he can be and why he is considered one of the best of his generation.
  15. Nov 9, 2011
    127 Hours is good, but I was disappointed. The acting was good, but there were some parts in the film that I thought were a bit stupid. The film could have been better.
  16. Apr 19, 2014
    James Franco did an awesome job as Aron Ralston.The director Danny Boyle also did an awesome job.For a movie of 94 minutes with only one character stuck in the desert we don't get bored. Awesome movie.
  17. Aug 9, 2011
    Everything in the film is well balanced and executed in a safe and clean way. The steering is responsive and always creative by Danny Boyle, the interpretation of James Franco is amazing and charismatic, the editing and screenplay by Jon Harris Boyle and Simon Beaufoy are perfectly consistent with the proposal: transmit agony, despair, emotion besides playing the spectator â
  18. Lyn
    Jan 30, 2011
    Certainly merits its place in the Amazing True Stories category. James Franco earns his Oscar nomination with a terrific performance in a story that's even more narrowly focused than Tom Hanks's was in "Castaway." I'm sure I squeezed my eyes shut a few times, but along with the stomach-churning intensity there also are times of humor and great beauty. I especially liked the way Danny BoyleCertainly merits its place in the Amazing True Stories category. James Franco earns his Oscar nomination with a terrific performance in a story that's even more narrowly focused than Tom Hanks's was in "Castaway." I'm sure I squeezed my eyes shut a few times, but along with the stomach-churning intensity there also are times of humor and great beauty. I especially liked the way Danny Boyle handles the moments when Aron contemplates death and his (inevitable) misgivings -- they are touching without being heavy-handed or preachy. Expand
  19. Mar 12, 2011
    "Intense , Brilliant , one of the most spectacular and powerful films you will ever seen , about a man stuck between a rock and a hard place , boldly goes where no film has gone before , dare you not to be moved or Touch this film just cracked one of my fav movies of all time!" .. A++
  20. Mar 13, 2015
    Aron Ralston: "I'm in pretty deep doodoo here."

The story is about a mountain climber becomes trapped under a boulder in a remote area near Moab, Utah, he must resort to extreme measures in order to survive. Danny Boyle once again proves that he is a fantastic director in this movie. The way he shots and show the trouble that are main character goes through, it's truly great. The
    Aron Ralston: "I'm in pretty deep doodoo here."

Danny Boyle once again proves that he is a fantastic director in this movie. The way he shots and show the trouble that are main character goes through, it's truly great. The cinematography in this movie took the wind out of me it's that brilliant. This is James Franco best role I've seen him. He made me care about his character and he almost made my cry a little a bit.

My only nick picks with the film are the goofy scenes with the Scooby-Doo scene. I'm sorry but that scene came out of no where and lost the serious of the movie for me, and I no his seeing things because his losing a lot of blood and he's in a tight space, but still you can't help to ask "What the hell was all that about?".

127 hours is a excellent film with mind blowing camera work and one of the best directing I've seen since Spielberg.
  21. Aug 25, 2011
    Danny Boyle's beautiful direction, great performance by James Franco, wonderful music, superb cinematography. Love the ending . 127 Hours terrific and inspirational.
  22. May 31, 2011
    Fantastic film! Amazing story! Franco gives the best performance of his career to date! Boyle is a masterful director and knows how to make a film resonate with his audience. Indeed, this is a tough film to watch, but an incredibly uplifting one as well.
  23. Mar 12, 2011
    I watched this movie while comparing it to other films the whole time which may have lessened its effect. 127 Hours was one of the 10 films nominated for Best Picture and it's the last one I saw in that company; therefore, I spent a good amount of time likening it to Black Swan, The King's Speech, and the Social Network. Bad idea. Just let the movie stand by itself and you can get toI watched this movie while comparing it to other films the whole time which may have lessened its effect. 127 Hours was one of the 10 films nominated for Best Picture and it's the last one I saw in that company; therefore, I spent a good amount of time likening it to Black Swan, The King's Speech, and the Social Network. Bad idea. Just let the movie stand by itself and you can get to comparisons later. Also, I started comparing it to other films with similar story arcs (action in the beginning, action in the end, long dry spell in the middle). I thought of the Shawshank Redemption. Both of these films have long dry spells in the middle which serve to advance time in a methodical manner. Unfortunately, not an effective movie watching method.

Overall, it is a very good film. A.R. Rahman wrote great music and the visual effects were realistic and effective. When you think about cutting off your arm, you don't really consider the mechanics involved in such an action. It is not just an arm. There are nerves, tendons, and bones. In fact, you would have to consider that breaking the bones would be more effective than just sawing through them. I never planned to put so much thought in this process, but it appears there are times when these follow through actions are really important.
  24. Mar 3, 2011
    After watching the first 15 minutes, during which not one meaningful word or sentence had been uttered, but which nauseated me because of the horrible fast-switch editing (it felt like a commercial for Nike), I fast forwarded because everything was just so extremely predictable and boring. In addition, in the first 5 minutes of the movie, there are at least 20 brand names clearly visible.After watching the first 15 minutes, during which not one meaningful word or sentence had been uttered, but which nauseated me because of the horrible fast-switch editing (it felt like a commercial for Nike), I fast forwarded because everything was just so extremely predictable and boring. In addition, in the first 5 minutes of the movie, there are at least 20 brand names clearly visible. That is usually not done, unless you get paid for it the brands.
    I cannot believe that this flick was nominated for an Oscar...how low can you go ?
  25. Aug 24, 2012
    A very good film, Danny Boyle took a huge risk when under-taking a film like this straight after winning his Oscar. James Franco showed once again that he is a fantastic, versatile actor having done comedies like Pineapple Express, action films like Spider-man and now dramas too. Having to hold a film practically single-handedly is very difficult but he executes it almost to the sameA very good film, Danny Boyle took a huge risk when under-taking a film like this straight after winning his Oscar. James Franco showed once again that he is a fantastic, versatile actor having done comedies like Pineapple Express, action films like Spider-man and now dramas too. Having to hold a film practically single-handedly is very difficult but he executes it almost to the same standard as Tom Hanks in Castaway. Definitely worth a watch but not quite up in the elite echelons of film. Expand
  26. Jan 21, 2011
    The movie is based on an autobiography book BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE (2004) by Aron Ralston, and you can see the movie title is 127 HOURS. Without tell you any further, you can conclude yourself, he will survive after all, rite? The golden question will be: How did he survive? British Director, Danny Boyle is one of my favorites Directors of all-time, as I noted he is always goodThe movie is based on an autobiography book BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE (2004) by Aron Ralston, and you can see the movie title is 127 HOURS. Without tell you any further, you can conclude yourself, he will survive after all, rite? The golden question will be: How did he survive? British Director, Danny Boyle is one of my favorites Directors of all-time, as I noted he is always good with the number on his movie titles, such as: 28 DAYS LATER.. (2002) and MILLIONS (2004). After telling a great story in India through SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (2008), he takes us back to United States. The incident that occurred in Blue john Canyon (the Utah desert) where solitary mountaineer Aron Ralston was falling into canyon and being trapped under a boulder. Aron played by James Franco. The movie starts with a great mood and spirit, with stylish split screen and exhilarating music as well. As long as I remember, Boyle always could make an enjoyable adventure experience with his proper music attached to every scene he made, and he did it thiz time either. James Franco takes on responsibility for his one-man-show very well. My favorite act is when he imitates the host of Morning Live Show and pretends to interview himself. He is very convincing by delivering nail-biting and captivating performances all at once, just like what Ryan Reynold did recently when he was being BURIED (2010). Once again, Boyle shows his capability of capturing human despair by mixing hallucination scenes and flashback sequences. Overall, it was 8 minutes of great music and 1 hour 27 minutes of pure thrills. In the end, I can assure you the situation that Aron experienced is not simple as you think. When you were being trapped like him, it is just okay if you know you are going to survive in 127 Hours ahead, maybe you can manage something to get through of that. But the real situation is not that simple, Aron did not know for how long he would be stuck in there or even whether or not he was going to survive at that moment. Last time, Danny Boyle introduced us the exotic of Phi Phi Leh Island (near Phuket , Thailand) through THE BEACH (2000), after that movie, thousands of people thronged that place. Thiz time, Boyle shows us the beautifulness of Utah Canyon, I am pretty sure people will go there as well. Cannot wait what place he will take us next time. Just remember, before you go please tell someone where are you going to ^_^

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  27. Dec 26, 2010
    Franco is revelatory in what might be the year's finest performance. Boyle's style is very clearly infused into all aspects of the film, but ultimately its story is what makes it truly worthwhile.
  28. Jan 28, 2011
    Unbelievable. I'm absolutely speechless. The viewer is witness to Aron's disintegration over time perfectly. Conceptually, this movie had the makings of a boring story. It was anything but. I was riveted each minute.
  29. Nov 8, 2012
    It can't help but be a little monotonous given the location, but Boyle and Franco don't disappoint. Incredibly uplifting film that shows the human spirit's will to survive.
  30. Nov 25, 2010
    This is a well made movie given the limits of the story. Unfortunately, this is not a story that really interested me. My rating is biased by that. Boyle is a great director and I applaud his work. The film did spark a heated theological debate between the three of us who saw it. The Christian among us thought that God saved him. The Buddhist among us thought that his misfortune was causedThis is a well made movie given the limits of the story. Unfortunately, this is not a story that really interested me. My rating is biased by that. Boyle is a great director and I applaud his work. The film did spark a heated theological debate between the three of us who saw it. The Christian among us thought that God saved him. The Buddhist among us thought that his misfortune was caused by his lack of connection or respect for nature. The agnostic who is yours truly thought that God did not have anything to do with the boulder falling on him or his cutting off his arm. I saw it as a random event. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Damon Wise
    Jan 3, 2011
    A surprisingly fun, effervescent against-the-odds drama that offers an upbeat moral without the usual punishing survival-story clich├ęs. Not for the faint-hearted, mind.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Nov 24, 2010
    It's gory and gut-wrenching but strangely life-affirming.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 24, 2010
    127 Hours -- just like "Slumdog Millionaire" -- is a masterful slice of four-star cinema, featuring an irresistible performance by James Franco, breathtaking cinematography, and the kind of deep, searching soul that is absent from so much of what comes out of Hollywood.