Columbia Pictures | Release Date: April 23, 2004
Universal acclaim based on 202 Ratings
Watch Now
oxanaSep 12, 2014
Strong 3 stars.

Jenna is an average 13-year-old girl; she wants to be part of the cool group but keeps failing - especially thanks to her best friend Matt, who is not very high on the cool spectrum. Take some magic powder, a wish after
Strong 3 stars.

Take some magic powder, a wish after a disastrous party, and Jenna suddenly finds herself in the age of 30, having fulfilled her every dream of becoming popular and successful. Problem is, she's still the 13-year-old girl and it would seem her adult version doesn't quite meet her expectations; she's carved her life with means young Jenna can't agree on.

While dealing with the life of her adult self, Jenna manages to track down the only person that was truly her friend: Matt. (Mark Ruffalo was so very adorable in his role as Matt, and the sole reason why I watched this movie.) Together they re-discover their friendship and Jenna comes to see that not all things in her new life are as shiny as she thinks. A lesson learned the hard way.

The movie was funny with a steady stream of comedic elements. Jennifer Garner as adult Jenna was entertaining but sometimes a bit annoying. Andy Serkis as her boss was amazing. And of course Ruffalo as Matt blew me away as awkward, grown-up man who has to face the fact that he never really got what he wanted from life, but he can't reach back for it either.

I was disappointed with the ending of the movie but it was nothing out of the ordinary. (I would have preferred the teary, sad version but romantic comedies wouldn't be romantic with sad endings, right?)

With some laughs, embarrassing moments and heart-wrenching drama jammed in between there somewhere, this is a decent movie.
MrMovieBuffJul 17, 2017
I admired this movie for its charm, and Jennifer Garner's sweet and loving lead performance, but ultimately, '13 Going on 30' is a movie filled with some predictability. We follow a young girl's journey as she feels that being older will giveI admired this movie for its charm, and Jennifer Garner's sweet and loving lead performance, but ultimately, '13 Going on 30' is a movie filled with some predictability. We follow a young girl's journey as she feels that being older will give her more pleasures and less disappointments in life. When she locks herself in her closet, and makes her wish... she finds herself waking up the next morning as a 30 year old, living with, what we may assume, is her boyfriend, but she has no recollection of anything that may have happened in between the 17 years, and she tries to find answers. She discovers that she is working at a job that she loves, and that she is successful at it, but her former best friend (played by Mark Ruffalo), still resents her after the way she turned him down when they were teenagers. But, she needs him more than ever. This movie is funny and has a lot of charm in it. Garner and Ruffalo share terrific chemistry together as two former friends, who could be something more. The movie, however, is just not as touching as it could have been, I feel that there could have been more emotional weight put into some scenes and maybe one or two more struggles along the journey, but overall, Jennifer Garner is lovely here, leading the movie so effortlessly, and the premise, while far from original, does live up to some expectations. Expand