6.5

1. Oct 7, 2010
    I actually really thought this movie was cute! I've watched it a few times already..and I'll watch it again someday! I liked it! Jennifer Garner also played her role great! I love how she acted as a 13 year old in it, it's a good family movie. That will also give you a few laughs!
  2. Aug 28, 2014
    Magic that can, unfortunately, only happen at the movies. Fortunate for 13 Going on 30, it hits all of the high notes. Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo, in an early role, are perfect together.
  3. Mar 27, 2012
    This was one of the first comedies that made me realize comedies were becoming something more than just laugh machines. I think a skewed sense of time is irrelevant when you are in the genre of fantasy, which this is. The morals that it presents but does not shove down your throat are impeccable and everyone would live happier lives if they listened to the message in this movie. It is never too late to be a better person and choose quality over quantity. Expand
  4. Sep 12, 2014
    Strong 3 stars.

Jenna is an average 13-year-old girl; she wants to be part of the cool group but keeps failing - especially thanks to her best friend Matt, who is not very high on the cool spectrum.

Take some magic powder, a wish after a disastrous party, and Jenna suddenly finds herself in the age of 30, having fulfilled her every dream of becoming popular and successful. Problem
    is, she's still the 13-year-old girl and it would seem her adult version doesn't quite meet her expectations; she's carved her life with means young Jenna can't agree on.

While dealing with the life of her adult self, Jenna manages to track down the only person that was truly her friend: Matt. (Mark Ruffalo was so very adorable in his role as Matt, and the sole reason why I watched this movie.) Together they re-discover their friendship and Jenna comes to see that not all things in her new life are as shiny as she thinks. A lesson learned the hard way.

The movie was funny with a steady stream of comedic elements. Jennifer Garner as adult Jenna was entertaining but sometimes a bit annoying. Andy Serkis as her boss was amazing. And of course Ruffalo as Matt blew me away as awkward, grown-up man who has to face the fact that he never really got what he wanted from life, but he can't reach back for it either.

I was disappointed with the ending of the movie but it was nothing out of the ordinary. (I would have preferred the teary, sad version but romantic comedies wouldn't be romantic with sad endings, right?)

With some laughs, embarrassing moments and heart-wrenching drama jammed in between there somewhere, this is a decent movie.
  5. Feb 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We all had at least one of those moments during our horridly awkward adolescent years where we wished we could just fast-forward to the part where things finally got good. In our fantasies we had survived puberty, landed our dream job and maybe, just maybe, had that someone special in our lives. It appears that so many of us have had these fantasies that film producers feed off of this notion by producing movies like 1988's "Big" or 2003's "Freaky Friday". Although it's based on a similar premise 13 Going On 30 depicts this fairly unoriginal concept in a refreshing and highly entertaining manner.
    Jenna Rink, played by the ever-charming Jennifer Garner, is fed-up with living the cumbersome life of a teenager. Her only wish for her thirteenth birthday is to be "thirty, flirty and thriving". What she fails to realize is that the wishing dust her childhood best friend Matty gave her for her thirteenth-birthday will grant that very wish. Young Jenna is catapulted seventeen years into her future landing in the striking, business executive body of her thirty-year old self. Now that Jenna has the world at her fingertips she realizes she got everything she ever desired popularity, style and boobs. But why on earth is adult Matty no longer speaking to her? It turns out being an adult isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    While Jenna struggles to navigate her way through adulthood to find a way to get back to her teen life director Gary Winick lends his expertise to the film's success. He has mastered the art of balancing the sincere scenes between Jenna and Matty with the witty light-hearted moments. One minute the pair will be reminiscing about their high school days when everything went sour and the next they're sharing Razzles on the swing set.
    Granted, there are most definitely some cheesy moments but it wouldn't be a feel-good romantic comedy without them. What makes up for those cheese-worthy moments is the seamless acting of Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo. Ruffalo fills the Converse shoes of adult Matty effortlessly. He's undaunted by the task of dancing along to "Thriller" with his equally as comical co-star Garner as they attempt to liven up a disastrous office party for Jenna's magazine company, despite his flushed cheeks hinting otherwise. I don't think Matty could have resisted Jenna even if she didn't have such a delightful giggle with the occasional, somehow charming, snort. Garner's charm continues to liven up the film as she replays the heart-pounding details of her kissing endeavor to a group of thirteen year old girls who are eager for mature Jenna's wisdom.
    Unfortunately, being a thirteen year old in her thirty year old body Jenna doesn't exactly have a world of knowledge when it comes to boys; but she makes due with some noteworthy male experiences from her current trip to the future. However, she's slowly learning life lessons, bigger than how to tell if a guy actually likes you, that the rest of us can only hope to learn by the time we're actually thirty. This is where 13 Going on 30 fully earns a spot on my DVD shelf as a great movie for one of those nights where you have the urge to laugh and the need be entertained.
  6. Jun 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers. 13 Going on 30: 3 out of 10: First of all I would like to throw my full weight behind any effort to give Jennifer Garner a special Oscar for best performance in a pretty bad movie. She is delightful and plays the character better than written.

In addition I would like to absolve any of her co-stars from any possible negative career ramifications due to their appearances in this film. They also did a fine job. And last I would like security to please apprehend the writers and director whom I see sneaking out the fire escape.

Okay the director gets community service for making some pretty obvious soundtrack mistakes for 1987 (he highlights as the supposed geeky underground song Burning Down the House which was featured in as a jock anthem in Revenge of the Nerds three years earlier and as MTV fodder he highlights Thriller from 1983 which was already in the Halloween ghetto mix by 1987.) The writers get life in prison without parole. First question. Have they ever worked in any office anywhere, let alone a supposed fashion magazine? They get so much wrong I don't know where to begin. Second though Garner's performance is great her character is a mess. She finds older guys icky in one scene and is attracted to them in the next and then back to icky. She handles her cutthroat business environment with more maturity than most thirty year olds let alone thirteen year olds.

Instead of going into a Being There Chauncey kind of vibe where Garner's character's inane utterances are taken as genius the film actually makes her more proactive than either her shy thirteen year old self would be or her cutthroat thirty year old self was. No working woman cliché is ignored and the less said about the sappy and ridiculous ending the better.

The whole body swap time travel deal was actually the most believable part of the film. Certainly more believable than a doll house building, fairy dust collecting, fat boy next door growing up to be a thin straight single guy living in Greenwich Village or more than one drunk person remembering any of the dance moves from the Thriller video.
  7. Oct 9, 2014
    Não tenho ideia de quantas vezes assisti esse filme, por ser tão bom. Toda a história passa de apenas um sonho e não é nada novo, claro, mas o filme é cativante até o final.

1. Does a good job of reviving stale material. Thanks to a snappy script by Josh Goldsmith and Cathy Yuspa and an effervescent performance by Jennifer Garner, this romantic comedy has a buoyant personality.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    A star vehicle composed of second-hand parts that nevertheless gets great mileage (and big laughs) from its recycled plot.
    Cheers and many happy returns to Garner as she makes her first starring film role. She's the real deal. But jeers to every other aspect of 13 Going On 30.