7.0

1. Sep 22, 2014
    A worthy addition to the Stephen King series of freak out the audience style of thrillers.
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
  2. Aug 29, 2014
    I watch horror movies when there's nothing better to watch. So I guess you could say its relatively consistent. But more often than any other genre, I'm disappointed by horror films. 1408 provides something different. it has a very solid lead actor, John Cusack, at the helm, and Stephen King's overall vision. Its a remarkably simple story but with the right tweaks it became its own monster. Like if you had your own personal horrors locked away in your head, room 1408 would slowly and sadistically put you to death with them. Its heavily weighted on one character's personal struggles. Which is gutsy in a lot of ways but it was well done. This wasn't a jittery, jumpy, bloody, or even crazy type of scary, this was a sad hollow and empty type of scary that we hope we will never have to experience. Though a few of those scenes get pretty trippy. You don't make a movie this well delivered too often. It stands as one of my all-time favorites in the horror category. Expand
  3. Jul 27, 2014
    This. movie. was. so. horrible. I don't care if im giving spoiler alerts, the movie sucked. Everything about it sucked more then your mom. I don't even give it a score. The whole thing was just horrible. The movie took place in the same god damn room for an hour and a **** half. Mike died in the end anyways. SO WHATS THE POINT. jesus Christ. I watched this online and afterwards threw my computer out the window. I then bought a new computer to order the movie online and then burn it. I have no respect for Stephen king now. I have no respect for anything. I'm angry at the world. And your mom because she missed my calls. AND ESPECIALLY YOU GARRISON. **** YOU FOR PUTTING ME THROUGH THIS HELL. Expand
  4. Jul 8, 2014
    1408 is a tense thriller based on a story by Stephen King. The movie isn't a classic but the movie is thrilling
    and has cool effects. Cusack and Jackson give interesting performances and the movie is tricky. The room
    toys with Cusack's mind and the viewer's as well. If you're looking for a thriller with a good cast and
    Impressive special effects 1408 is your movie.
  5. Jan 2, 2014
    God, this movie was really, really, gripping. Even if it doesn't live up to The Conjuring, 1408 is still another great Stephen King adaptation. Samuel L. Jackson and John Cusack are perfect in this movie.
  6. Oct 17, 2013
    "1408" is one of the good Stephen King adaptations, one that maintains its author's satirical view of human nature. However, it's not the script (by Matt Greenberg, Scott Alexander, and Larry Karaszewski) that deserves most of the credit. Director Mikael Hafstrom "Derailed" (2005), who fares far better here than his debut, never resorts to the cheap tricks and gruesome visuals, while creating scares through a suffocating sense of claustrophobia and suspense. The movie appeals to an old-fashioned sense of horror that differs from your typical slasher flicks loaded with unrelenting carnage.

Mike Enslin (John Cusack) is a professional skeptic. He makes his living by visiting supposed haunted houses and writing about the absence of ghosts. For him, room 1408 at New York's Dolphin Hotel is too good a challenge to pass up. In its nearly 100 years of existence, 56 people have died in that room. The hotel's manager (Samuel L. Jackson) advises in the strongest terms that Mike not stay there. "No one," he advises, "has lasted more than an hour." At first, Mike is not impressed by the ordinariness of the accommodations. Then strange things begin happening, and by the time he decides that checking out early might be the wisest decision, that option no longer exists.

Too often, we see a movie with a good setup ruined with a subpar ending. "1408" deftly sidesteps the pitfall, delivering a conclusion that manages not to disappoint, while at the same time leaving things open-ended enough for viewer interpretation. Most of the movie focuses on Cusack, alone in his room, trapped in an escalating environment of paranoia. He uses his good natured disposition to get the audience's acceptance, and once that's accomplished, the film has us. It's riveting to watch his cynicism and disbelief give way to the horror of what is actually happening. Despite Mike's mantra "We don't rattle, do we?" The answer is in fact, we do.
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    I can tell it was wanted to be "out of the box", in the end doesn't really scream for that, but the thrills are there, has those moments when you can't blink and John Cusack was okay.
  8. Jun 2, 2013
    1408 is an eerie and claustrophobic thriller that has a pervasive sense of eminent fear which makes a highly entertaining horror film that could leave you with nightmares.
  9. Feb 23, 2013
    1408 is one of those movies you're either going to really love or really hate. It's long, and at times, not easy to sit through, but if you're a fan of Stephen King, you should be used to that. This is vintage King and it's done right! When people don't like the movie, right away they go after the writer. They don't realize that a lot of times things are drastically changed to make them more visually appealing. In a horror flick, that's usually means and/or gore, which are out of place in a King story. 1408 has none of that, it's just a good old fashion horror story about a room that possesses it's residence. The acting isn't going to blow you away, there aren't very many surprises as far as the story goes, but it's a scary story, done the way the master of horror intended and I liked it! Expand
  10. Dec 10, 2012
    Very generic-kind of movie, it does have some thrilling moments but these are shattered by very bad special effects, loved the mood created throughout the movie, I was hoping for more of Jackson's participation but Cusack did a good job. I can't rate it as horror movie, but I can say that it was a suspense movie fun to watch.
  11. Nov 8, 2012
    1408 is an eerie and claustrophobic thriller that has a pervasive sense of eminent fear and pays quiet homage to The Shining.
  12. Sep 10, 2012
    When I finished watching this film, all that came out of mouth was, "WOW!". This film has a very great screenplay and the way it is utilized in the direction is completely terrific. This film did not bore me, not even for a second. I kept wondering all the time what is going to happen next. John Cusack's performance was over the top and really intense as supported by Samuel L. Jackson and this film would be nothing if John was not in it. The unusual scares didn't scare me that well but I admire the different style of psychological horror and mystery the director, Mikael Håfstrom, adopted in making this film. Expand
  13. Dec 12, 2011
    It was ok. It took a while to really get interesting but once it did, It kept you sucked in through out the rest of the film. Solid acting as well. Just a good film overall.
  14. Oct 12, 2011
    This film is not very scary, but it has atmosphere. John Cusack is very good in it as the skeptical protagonist who yearns for a real scare and gets it. I rooted for him throughout the film to escape the evil room that had trapped him.
  15. Sep 30, 2011
    "1408" is a horror movie that doesn't know what it does, but it still manages to give the good chills and scares.
  16. May 31, 2011
    An excellent film with great performances and musical score! Cusack does well in walking the line of keeping his cool and wigging out. Nothing too terrifiying here, but it is spooky. Check it out!
  17. Apr 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Given that King adaptations are typically awful jokes, 1408 merits praise merely for being not abysmal. That said - it's a good little chiller that should have been great. So much is wonderful, including Cusack's droll awareness of playing the same, weary, cynical dude. The settings, the silences, the pacing - all grand, really. What goes wrong? TOO MUCH EXPOSITION, and the misleading kind. Based on the first 30 minutes, 1408 is beyond deadly. It's sadistic, vile, and very, very fast, given the self-mutilations which have occurred within it, and in mere minutes. But Cusack's experience, a few harmless phantoms aside, isn't terrifying; it's all about sadness and his personal despair. I expect more from a room that induces a maid to stab her eyes out in mere seconds.
    But - hey, it's all right. And the hotel window/ledge scenes are bloody fabulous.
  18. Apr 13, 2011
    Somewhat effective thriller with a gone-to-seed John Cusack carrying the movie pretty much alone aside from a risible walk-on appearance by Samuel L. Jackson.

Unusually successful adaptation of a Stephen King short story.
  19. Jan 22, 2011
    1408 was a great movie, but not what I would have imagined. John Cussack was great. I came into the movie expecting to be scarred and left a little disappointed. Although the film was creepy I felt it lacked something. The movie was definitely worth a watch and if it can be found at a reasonable price owning.
  20. Jan 9, 2011
    When I first heard about this Ill admit I didnt care to see it at all. But after watching it its not a bad horror/suspense movie at all. If your into horror this is diffidently a MUST watch. If you dont like horror of ghost/haunting movies you wont enjoy this at all. The images/cut scenes are awesome, the effects are legit, great cast, decent plot, you dont get to confused and pretty much figure it out once things start happening and the story seems to play itself out really well, solid horror movie with a good cast. Expand
  21. Nov 19, 2010
    Upon first glimpse, audience may be fooled by its misleadingly common premise, but 1408 boldly goes where no other psychological horror has ever gone. Packaged in 100 claustrophobic minutes in a dingy, creepy though somewhat ordinary-looking hotel room, John Cusack delivers convincingly, and the horror is promising and undeviating.
  22. Oct 14, 2010
    Based on the short story of the same name by Stephen King, 1408 follows a famous author as he goes to the Dolphin hotel to spend a night in the supposedly-haunted room 1408. Notice something about the numbers? If you add them together they equal 13, and there's your fun fact of the day. Despite what you see on the cover, Samuel L. Jackson only plays a minor role in the film, so you won't see him cussing like no tomorrow. Instead, he gives cryptic advice to the main character at the beginning of the movie, warning him not to go into the room. He goes so far to give him money and an expensive bottle of alcohol, which is taken but he still goes to the room. From there on, the movie turns into a twisting hallway with a surprise at every corner. Various frights ensue and soon the main character is struggling to try and get out of the room. By the time he finally does, you'll be on the edge of your seat. And then there's the twist ending, which pulls away to ANOTHER ending, revealing the guy's new partial insanity. If you enjoy horror films or are looking for more frights, 1408 is for you. Expand
  23. Sep 18, 2010
    Just to start off, this is not horror, its a thriller. This movie is creepy, and it sticks with you. this movie maked you believe the room is in fact alive. and you feel confined. i loved it, start to finish. The only complaint is that it slows down, and you think its over, which is a smart idea, but it slowed down, then it picked back up but not with the creepiness, the drama. Great Film. Mary McCormick was hot in it. Tony Shaloub was great, that's TWO great TV actors. John Cusack, as usual, is great. Samuel L Jackson, great. Check this out Expand

1. A deft Stephen King freak-out.
  2. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    Even with its flaws, 1408 deserves to be appreciated by connoisseurs of acting and bravura filmmaking.
  3. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    For star John Cusack, it's a perfect fit.