Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: March 3, 2006
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 231 Ratings
Watch Now
grandpajoe6191Sep 30, 2011
"16 Blocks" is the usual buddy-cop movie with the decent action sequences. However its Richard Donner's top notch cinematography that saves the movie.
kublay0880Dec 10, 2012
It hurts me to rate a Bruce Willis movie like this but there's no other fair score, it's a very dull movie I hope that it was made just to get a few bucks and not tough as a serious movie. Big disappointment, very predictable, 99 minutes thatIt hurts me to rate a Bruce Willis movie like this but there's no other fair score, it's a very dull movie I hope that it was made just to get a few bucks and not tough as a serious movie. Big disappointment, very predictable, 99 minutes that felt like 4 hours. Expand
DaveB.Mar 7, 2006
This Movie is so predictable that I felt no suspense or surprise in this movie. The film is very unoriginal and the cops chasing Willis seem to always guess the right place to look and this makes this film absolutely unbelievable. Mos Def is This Movie is so predictable that I felt no suspense or surprise in this movie. The film is very unoriginal and the cops chasing Willis seem to always guess the right place to look and this makes this film absolutely unbelievable. Mos Def is good Willis I expect Better. Expand
BRBJul 11, 2006
My friends and I rented this to pass the time, and it made 99 minutes seem like an eternity. Mos Def, usually entertaining, was excruciating. That voice? C'mon! The plot was textbook corrupt cop BS and the "twists" were no better. Even My friends and I rented this to pass the time, and it made 99 minutes seem like an eternity. Mos Def, usually entertaining, was excruciating. That voice? C'mon! The plot was textbook corrupt cop BS and the "twists" were no better. Even the car chase seemed like slow motion. If you look at the reviews, the only thing people liked about this movie was that Bruce Willis looked old and unhappy. If you looking at depressed old dudes, this one's for you. Expand
HalB.Jul 2, 2006
I really wanted to like this movie -- and it does have some good performances & nice dialogue -- but after 20 minutes of listening to the grating tone of mos def's voice, it became more of an exercise in stamina for me than an enjoyable I really wanted to like this movie -- and it does have some good performances & nice dialogue -- but after 20 minutes of listening to the grating tone of mos def's voice, it became more of an exercise in stamina for me than an enjoyable film. Some of the plot elements are fairly preposterous, and this also detracts from the overall "watchability" of the movie... David Morse gives a really good supporting performance and is an overlooked character actor who should get juicier roles. Expand
KevinD.Aug 3, 2006
Standard action flick...nothing special, save for Mos Def and Willis. Both are pro. David Morse is thrilling as well, but the plot and cinematography fails the film.
TreyB.Apr 17, 2006
My girlfriend fell asleep after 20 minutes. Bruce Willis should do another die hard or something.... and MosDef was funny but annoying after a while. It's a SOLID 4 outa 10....
BarryP.Mar 23, 2006
A good performance by Bruce Willis makes up for a weak supporting cast. Although the plot does stretch the bounds of reality, the film generally moves along well with some entertaining moments.
TokyochuchuApr 24, 2012
16 Blocks is a fairly descent suspense flick but not much beyond that. The performances are solid, as is the script. The action scenes are a bit run-of-the-mill but fit in well with the overall tone of the movie. 16 Blocks is not a classic by16 Blocks is a fairly descent suspense flick but not much beyond that. The performances are solid, as is the script. The action scenes are a bit run-of-the-mill but fit in well with the overall tone of the movie. 16 Blocks is not a classic by any stretch of the imagination but it will hold your attention for it's run time. Expand
MosstromoMar 5, 2013
Lost opportunities all around on this uninteresting film.
Lost opportunities all around on this uninteresting film.
What opens strong with the promise of interesting characters whose personal life will create uncountable chances for complication of a tale that sports an interesting premise, soon dives into the murky depths of mishandled stories.
Every decision made on action pieces, character development and sequence of events seems to be the wrong one. Complications are either forgotten, resolved fast and simply or avoided altogether (as are sense and logic for that matter).
Richard Donner shows at several points that he is a very good director, specially during the wonderful sequence where the first shots are fired, but those moments soon dry out in the sterile ground of the uninspired and clumsy screenplay.
Bruce Willis manages to interpret his run-down cop convincingly, even at the more ridiculous moments, but all the points he gains for the flick are lost every single time his counterpart played by Mos Def opens his mouth. I've seen Mos Def in "Be Kind Rewind" and I don't remember having disliked him so violently, but in this film his every rendering of dialog is gut-wrenching turning him into a Jar-Jar-Binks-esque figure.
Overall a sad experience for which I'd say that the cost of the viewing should be the deciding factor for avoiding or not this film, and only if you reaaaaaally like Bruce Willis movies and need to fill a gap on all you've seen from his filmography.
MeritCobaApr 20, 2016
Bruce Willis looks particular bad as an unhappy aging cop with a drinking problem(drinking on the job! My My) who gets saddled with escorting witness Mos Def to a courthouse that is like sixteen blocks down the street. You might say, "ThatBruce Willis looks particular bad as an unhappy aging cop with a drinking problem(drinking on the job! My My) who gets saddled with escorting witness Mos Def to a courthouse that is like sixteen blocks down the street. You might say, "That isn't far at all!", but some bad cops headed by David Morse make the going rough. And boy what do 16 blocks feel far.

I had to blink for a moment to recognize Bruce for he looked thin and pretty sick with a white pasty face and red eyelids. For a moment he seemed at home as the rundown detective who gets through his day downing liquor and was expecting something of a reprise of his role in Pulp Fiction or Sin City. To commend Bruce, he does give it a try but unfortunately for him it isn't that kind of movie.

While Bruce plays his role with verve the rest of the movie is something we have seen a gazillion times before. Which isn't bad really, but it would have been better if Bruce had been given something of a script that actually accommodates his role or they had settled for the action movie kind of thing and left that part out. Now it feels like the movie is flip flopping between the plight of a down and out cop and some silly action sequences.

The movies does have some nice scenes involving Bruce and Mos when Mos learns Bruce that anyone can change for the better, but the Mos' role is maimed by the irritating nasal tone that someone has written into his character. As if someone wanted to undercut the character by making him talk silly.

David Morse is a decent bad cop, but his role is so hammered shut that not even the greatest of actors could have done anything with it. The key scene is at the end when Bruce confronts Morse. How that works out I can't tell here, but it's isn't a pretty scene and what happens is totally unsurprising. I thought that Deus ex Machima were a no no nowadays.. but we get one in this movie.

In the end the good cops that aided the bad cops get redeemed. Which is commendable, really. Not all cops are bad. At least: I hope not.

The lowdown: despite the actors doing a good job, the story is just too much hampered by silly action scenes and some badly drawn characters. A pity really.
CineAutoctonoAug 25, 2017
16 Blocks was a good movie, the story is good, the perfomances too, but the currency of the story is slow, and it makes boring you, but I enyojed this movie.