8.2

1. Dec 18, 2014
    Technically and visually good, but boring and long.
    Technically and visually good, but boring and long.
    Yeah, the visual effects are incredible considering the movie is soon to be 50 years old. The main character's acting is good, but you know what? The movie is incredibly long, and almost nothing happens at all. Some of the scenes go on and on and on and on. And on. It is supposed to be very artistic, but I found it dull and boring. It's just ok. And don't get your panties in a bunch and say I can't appreciate art, because I can, I am an artist myself, so shush. Go watch The Shining, if you have to watch Kubrick.
  2. Nov 24, 2014
    A spectacular and metaphorically masterpiece. But unfortunately slow and boring.

The first thing you notice while watching 2001: A Space Odyssey are the incredible visuals that are so incredible. This movie is from the 60s, and I'm stunned by how awesome they made the film. We see astronauts in zero-gravity, spinning space ships and a lot more that I didn't think was possible in 1968. It's an deep and meaningful movie that gives the audience a lot to think of, that's worth a lot! That in combination with a mysterious feeling and much metaphorical scenes that means a lot makes this movie really unique. Those are the most important aspects of the film that I totally love, but there are also many bad things. The worst thing is the second act, where nothing really big happens and I was just so bored. The space scenes in the second act are great but they're just to slow. It's the same with the characters, they are a bit vague and the conversations are boring. Even though the film is in my taste a bit to boring, is every scene important if you want to understand the bigger picture.

In fact, I do like this movie, but everyone knows that a boring and slow film might not work with every individual. Especially not with me. The opening scene is fantastic, but the first 20 minutes is slow, but interesting. The best best parts of the film is in the beginning and the ending, they are both spectacular and fascinating. They should have laid more focus in the middle of the movie, it's to slow there. Of course, imagine seeing this film in the 60s, a time when most people haven't seen Earth above before, it must have been extraordinary! Well it's a new generation now, and we want more action nowadays, but I bet I would have loved it in the 70s! The best aspect of the film I forgot to mention is the soundtrack, so incredible! The sad thing is that it disappeared in the second act.

2001: A Space Odyssey is overall a great film, but the boring scenes are just to much for me. I recommend everyone seeing this film twice, because there's many fundamental aspects of the film that you don't perceive the first time. The boring scenes does unfortunately lower my rating considerably.

2001: A Space Odyssey gets a 6.5/10.
  3. Nov 22, 2014
    2001 was a great film. I think it's Stanley Kubrick's best film, but I haven't seen enough of his films to be sure of it. Definitely a film everyone should see before they die.
  4. Nov 17, 2014
    This movie did not impress me in the slightest. It is not as if the music is original. This "odyssey" is horribly incoherent and boring. I guess I just don't get it, nor do I want to.
  5. Nov 16, 2014
    From one of the dumbest opening scenes to an ending that can be describe as one of the worst in history, a 2001: A Space Odyssey is nothing but a dull pretentious film that for almost it's 3 hour length, had less to offer than a blank white wall. This is the worst science fiction movie I've ever seen.
  6. Nov 12, 2014
    I personally think Kubrick use obfuscation style so people get more curious to see the movie, the visual effect are awesome but definitely not his best work,
  7. Nov 12, 2014
    Too abstract to provide anything, Stanley Kubrick's "masterpiece" is an overlong, lifeless adventure with one dimensional characters and a terribly disjointed plot (if there is any).
  8. Nov 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To start with, I can definitely say that 2001 A Space Odyssey is a film with great potential and premise, deals with a big amount of important themes and achieves to remain a film of great importance.

Stanley Kubrick worked pretty hard on this film and managed to create some of the best visual effects ever made. His direction is amazing and he gives to the film an eerie atmosphere.

Some dismissed the film as boring and incomprehensible. Well If you consider 2001 boring you must definitely have really small imagination. Of course it is like a silent film but Kubrick supports the point of the film with great artistry and leaves us think and search in our mind and our hearts.

2001 A Space Odyssey is a spellbinding and absorbing adventure in secret paths that we may never find out in our lives because they are too short.

To end I can definitely say that 2001 is not only one of the best sci-fi movies ever made but also one of the best generally. It is one of the most thought provoking films (like all the sci-fi should be) and inspires our awe in every minute of it.

Of course there is an openness in the film's meaning especially in the ending shots which have an allegorical and philosophical meaning. For me 2001 is not a religious film but it's about science, discovery and mainly for evolution.

It's a film for adults and mature teenagers because it could be extremely weird and disturbing for younger audiences. But it's a must-see for every cinephile around the world.
  9. Nov 4, 2014
    The best movie that I've ever seen.

The cinematography is beautiful, HAL 9000 is the best sci-if villain that I've seen in ages, the meanings are well told, and everything about it is just.....amazing.
  10. Oct 26, 2014
    Masterpiece stanley kubrick does a great job and hall is really scary one of the best films everin hollywood and for those people who think its overrated you just are impacient this film is amazing and a must see
  11. Oct 12, 2014
    2001:A Space Odyssey manages to intrigue you every way by telling a story in a very unconventional way.With hidden messages and meanings, Stanley Kubrick's vision improved the material and gave it an artistic value.
  12. Sep 2, 2014
    "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a very complex film. The first segment is somewhat boring to watch until the monolith shows up. After that, it's actually a very entertaining and intriguing film... until the last segment. The film just goes completely overboard and overly complicated when it really didn't need to be, and the Star Gate sequence, well, it's difficult to say how drawn out that part"2001: A Space Odyssey" is a very complex film. The first segment is somewhat boring to watch until the monolith shows up. After that, it's actually a very entertaining and intriguing film... until the last segment. The film just goes completely overboard and overly complicated when it really didn't need to be, and the Star Gate sequence, well, it's difficult to say how drawn out that part was. If the film was about 20 minutes shorter, cutting out the more boring parts of the beginning and making the Star Gate sequence shorter, it would have been a perfect experience. Expand
  13. Aug 16, 2014
    This is, hands down, one of the best sci-fi films ever, and a very beautiful one as well. Not for everyone, this slow paced, with little dialogue, but stunning visuals. Who would've thought that Strauss and flying satellites would go along so well. Great performances, great screenplay, great soundtrack, marvelous cinematography, brilliant directing and a lot, a lot more. A masterpiece, aThis is, hands down, one of the best sci-fi films ever, and a very beautiful one as well. Not for everyone, this slow paced, with little dialogue, but stunning visuals. Who would've thought that Strauss and flying satellites would go along so well. Great performances, great screenplay, great soundtrack, marvelous cinematography, brilliant directing and a lot, a lot more. A masterpiece, a piece of art. Kubrick at his best. Expand
  14. Aug 13, 2014
    Absolutely a classic of film. The rich story does not give what it is about. It symbolizes that us humans are still evolving and that in order to achieve greater things, we must overcome what we know and keep dreaming. A movie that everyone one should see.
  15. Jul 21, 2014
    Que difícil es hacer una crítica de esta película... la odio y me gusta a la vez. Una película muy compleja, buena para la época en la que se hizo, ya que si la hubieran hecho el año pasado puede que le bajara dos o tres puntos. De Kubrick hay obras mejores pero esta al fin y al cabo es una buena película.
  16. Jul 9, 2014
    This film is fantastic. Now, it is very, very slow and can be a tad dull for sure, but for the most part, it is wraps you up and refuses to let go. The imagery is immaculate and you can see Kubrick's trademark cinematography here and it is absolutely gorgeous. It was hard to pick my jaw up from the floor at times when seeing the beautiful images he managed to construct. In addition, theThis film is fantastic. Now, it is very, very slow and can be a tad dull for sure, but for the most part, it is wraps you up and refuses to let go. The imagery is immaculate and you can see Kubrick's trademark cinematography here and it is absolutely gorgeous. It was hard to pick my jaw up from the floor at times when seeing the beautiful images he managed to construct. In addition, the special effects are phenomenal. For 2014 they are great, let alone for 1968. Just absolutely stunning to watch. The sets are also brilliantly put together. In terms of sound, the soundtrack is phenomenal and is a great companion to the images. The acting here is solid, but that was all that was required, as there is not that much dialogue where acting is crucial, but they were competent and in the more dialogue carried sequences did well. This film is undoubtedly tough to grasp after watching it, but there is certainly more going on than meets the eye. However, what does meet the eye is the brilliant imagery and amazing "future" (past now) that Stanley Kubrick put on screen. Just truly a brilliant work of art. Expand
  17. Jul 2, 2014
    How do I begin to describe this film? It's too good for words, and it always will be! Stanley Kubrick gives us this provocative and interesting film about who we are and where we're going. It truly shows us what it is like to actually be human, and the mistakes we make.

A flawless science fiction (or science fact) film so enigmatic and chilling, its legacy still impacts our world today. 2001: A Space Odyssey is the big bang of sci-fi and will always be the greatest of the genre.
  18. Jun 12, 2014
    2001 A Space Odyssey is the very definition of poetry in film. It unfolds life a beautiful symphony with all it's notes striking in just the right place. It's the perfect example when images are more beautiful, artistic and insightful than words and 2001 doesn't have too many words and they are in no way as important as what it shows. It ranks up as one of the greatest films of all time2001 A Space Odyssey is the very definition of poetry in film. It unfolds life a beautiful symphony with all it's notes striking in just the right place. It's the perfect example when images are more beautiful, artistic and insightful than words and 2001 doesn't have too many words and they are in no way as important as what it shows. It ranks up as one of the greatest films of all time and for the right reasons. Expand
  19. Jun 11, 2014
    After watching this movie for the first time, i was mesmerized. It's a very simple movie, yet very in depth, some may say it's boring. From start to finish you will see art at it's finest. In 1991, this film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry
  20. May 25, 2014
    Arguably Stanley Kubrick best film I have found that when it comes to 2001: A Space Odyssey people either love it or hate it I am on the side that loves it. If out of all the movies I haved watched in my life this film seems more like art then a movie. It has a beautiful soundtrack that sets the tone of the movie the ambient space tones are raw and chilling and it touted amazing visualArguably Stanley Kubrick best film I have found that when it comes to 2001: A Space Odyssey people either love it or hate it I am on the side that loves it. If out of all the movies I haved watched in my life this film seems more like art then a movie. It has a beautiful soundtrack that sets the tone of the movie the ambient space tones are raw and chilling and it touted amazing visual effects for its time. The Story is a mind boggling adventure that leaves you dumbfounded.

Of course like many others I was young when I first watched this film now back then it was hard to even watch a 2 hour film id either fall asleep or just get bored of it. This movie though had another effect on me I was engulfed with awe and wonder id say it was the film that made me become the sci-fi junkie a am today. Stanley Kubrick's cinematography was simplistic yet masterful having long drawn out scene letting you embrace the full meaning of it was artistic.

For the people that don't like this film I call them "weak minded" this film takes quite a lot of thought to understand it and seeing how stupid most people are nowadays i can see why teenagers and young adults can't wrap their head around this film and films like it unless it has guns, explosions and hot chicks. Even now the film still leaves me wondering about the black monoliths.

Overall I give it a solid 10 This is Stanley Kubrick masterpiece and for good reason even today this film still holds its ground as the best sci-fi movie ever made and I think it will be sometime before a film will surpass it.
  21. May 23, 2014
    Stanley Kubrick was so **** sick to make this **** meaningless, foolish, **** **** MOVIE, And also hate his other movies Mother **** Stanley was so sick. **** bastard
  22. Apr 26, 2014
    This film is surely the greatest accomplishment in the history of cinema both on a technical level and a storytelling level from the hands down the greatest filmmaker that America has ever produced. A film that demands to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Kubrick has practically destroyed the entire science fiction genre.
  23. Apr 9, 2014
    The grandaddy of sci-fi, an incomparable experience of sense and of mind. Best to approach the revelationary details of the book afterwards, allowing Kubrick's sense of style and majesty to pervade the inner mind.
  24. Apr 6, 2014
    The first time I've seen this movie, I was boored and disappointed, because I had false expectations, but after awhile I understood the idea behind it: This movie tells a story of the development of mankind and shows the beauty and infinity of space. When you watch it, then you must absorb the atmosphere.

This movie shows Hollywood, that a really good space movie should have an

This movie shows Hollywood, that a really good space movie should have an experience, which makes you speechless, when you think about it!

Apart from some scenes, which are a bit too long for me, this movie is wonderful. When it came out, this technology revolutionized the filmmaking!
  25. Apr 2, 2014
    A well crafted piece of art. Incredibly unusual last act! From "Open the pod bay doors, HAL" unleash the thrills and mystery of an influential, mind blowing adventure unlike any other, from prehistoric ape-ancestry into uncharted realms of space. Personally, I loved the middle, HAL was terrifying and unpredictable villain. Not everyones type of movie. The film ends leaving more questionsA well crafted piece of art. Incredibly unusual last act! From "Open the pod bay doors, HAL" unleash the thrills and mystery of an influential, mind blowing adventure unlike any other, from prehistoric ape-ancestry into uncharted realms of space. Personally, I loved the middle, HAL was terrifying and unpredictable villain. Not everyones type of movie. The film ends leaving more questions than answers. Expand
  26. Mar 23, 2014
    Beautiful, deep and mind-blowing, "2001: A Space Odyssey" is definitely a film that needs reconsideration before blind criticism over its plot. The story is not linear and simple, but piled with lots of metaphors and symbols. The use of music is absolutely fantastic. I recommend it to everyone who loves to argue about philosophical topics and to everyone who just really like movies.
  27. Feb 23, 2014
    Outstanding use of everything that has to do with film. Cinematography, scenery, direction, pace, dialectics, score and especially narrative. The most fascinating and thought provoking film I have ever seen. Way past 10/10
  28. Feb 23, 2014
    Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" is often claimed to be the greatest and most influential Sci-Fi classic of all-time. Cases have been made for and against it, mainly whether the film is brilliant or boring. Which is it? Is it a brilliant, sacred jewel of cinema, or is it a dull, lifeless bore? In this case, it's not a matter of OR, but rather, a case of AND. "2001: A SpaceStanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" is often claimed to be the greatest and most influential Sci-Fi classic of all-time. Cases have been made for and against it, mainly whether the film is brilliant or boring. Which is it? Is it a brilliant, sacred jewel of cinema, or is it a dull, lifeless bore? In this case, it's not a matter of OR, but rather, a case of AND. "2001: A Space Odyssey" is both brilliant and boing, however not necessarily at the same time.

Before an examination of both sides, a few points must be made Crystal clear. There are two absolutely essential qualities that must be exhibited to attain enjoyment: A persistent patience, and a clear, conscious open mind. If neither of these two factors are present upon viewing, the film will come off as an instant failure, thus remaining as a frail, distant memory.

As I conclude this introduction, it must be noted that this movie is not any way, shape, or form a "bad" movie. There are spurts and shines of both brilliance and bore; however, it is up to the viewer to decide where and how these victories and faults outweigh the other. Now, onward to the actual review. Let's take a look at the cons first.

CONS:

Pace. Pace. Pace. Paint drying on a wall is faster than the pace that is demonstrated in this film. The momentum is excrutionally painful and abysmally slow, which serves as the prime reason for its downgrades. For those who require a constant, accelerated speed for pace, this would be an ill-suited movie. For those who don't mind a slower progressing, trance inducing plot, this is the quintessential film.

No emotional connection with any of the characters. At no point throughout the course of the film does the viewer feel any sort of liking, disliking, sympathy, suspicion, or annoyance for any character. They are all bland, with no exceptional quality. Kubrick should've known this, and it's an unfortunate shame that a movie as potentially great as this has this undeniable flaw.

PROS:

Excellency of 'Style over Substance': Despite the cons, "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a beautifully and wonderfully constructed movie. It is the pinnacle of movies that was able to escape the grasp of the basic fundamental concept of substance over style. Where it lacks in substance, it makes up for - plus more - in style. The effects? To say these effects were way past its time would be an understatement.

The Famous Match-Cut: This, in my purest opinion, is the strongest suit for this movie's credentials. If unclear on what a Match-Cut is, Wikipedia defines it as "a cut in film editing between either two different objects, spaces, or compositions in which an object in the two shots graphically match" (this is often done to link a strong parallel between the two objects). Although the effects are seen by the general public as the film's greatest accolade, this Match-Cut can't be denied as the best in cinema history. The appraisal this sequence could receive should be endless, an even that wouldn't be enough. Starting with the opening of "The Dawn of Man" (literally), the segment spirals through the events of a tribe of apes being ruled by another, discovering the use of bones, and overcoming the tribe through the use of those bones. As the leader of the victorious tribe throws the bone in the air, it rotates in a clockwise rotation. Upon its coming down, the scene shifts from the falling bone to a satellite in outer space, 4 million years later. The scene that transpires is one that truly can not be put into words. The segment, along with the music implemented, unquestionably makes this one of the most appraised and memorable segments in all of cinema. Just that 5 minute work of art will make every viewer indulge deeply in thought to realize how far the human race has truly come.

Cinematography: Time and time again, Stanley Kubrick is able to achieve perfection when it comes to cinematography. Every shot and every angle is executed perfectly without any sort of fault. What else should we expect? There's a reason why he's often labeled as a perfectionist.

These are the pros and cons of the movie as I saw fit. This movie will not be viewed as awe-inspiring by all, but is definitely a journey that everyone must experience. As stated in the beginning of this review, "2001: A Space Odyssey" will be remembered either as a life-changing endeavor, or a time-wasting, disappointing tease of what could have been. 6.25/10
  29. Feb 10, 2014
    In my opinion the greatest achievement in film-making, as even today it remains a standout in terms of its cinematography. "2001: A Space Odyssey" embarks you on a journey not only pleasing to the eye but equally stimulating to the mind, engaging it with philosophical questions regarding our existence, evolution and progress towards the future. A pioneer in the sci-fi genre, it remainsIn my opinion the greatest achievement in film-making, as even today it remains a standout in terms of its cinematography. "2001: A Space Odyssey" embarks you on a journey not only pleasing to the eye but equally stimulating to the mind, engaging it with philosophical questions regarding our existence, evolution and progress towards the future. A pioneer in the sci-fi genre, it remains unique in content and unmatched in visual effects, making it the ultimate masterpiece. Expand
  30. Feb 7, 2014
    I must say I don't get the hype of this movie. I could not even see the whole thing in one sitting because i was having trouble staying awake. I will say though that it looks fantastic the special effects definetly still hold up today and the directing was good. I would say see it for yourself because obviously a lot of people do not agree with me but I'm not sure I could sit through itI must say I don't get the hype of this movie. I could not even see the whole thing in one sitting because i was having trouble staying awake. I will say though that it looks fantastic the special effects definetly still hold up today and the directing was good. I would say see it for yourself because obviously a lot of people do not agree with me but I'm not sure I could sit through it again. I honestly think now that people just say it's great because they don't want to be the one that says they don't get it. Expand

1. This is the way this ground-breaking monument was meant to be seen: in mind-boggling 70mm.
  2. Its special effects are used so seamlessly as part of an overall artistic strategy that, as critic Annette Michelson has pointed out, they don't even register as such, and thus are almost impossible to trivialize, a feat unmatched in movies.
    Only a few films are transcendent, and work upon our minds and imaginations like music or prayer or a vast belittling landscape...Alone among science-fiction movies, 2001 is not concerned with thrilling us, but with inspiring our awe.