8.2

1. Feb 1, 2011
    The greatest epiphany? That the monolith represents the film screen itself, with its black rectangular appearance. And that the monolith is also depicted as the catalyst for change only encourages the notion that we actually evolve as we watch ourselves on the screen, and furthermore, BECOME what we see. And that's what 2001 is ultimately about; becoming. Constant becoming. ConstantThe greatest epiphany? That the monolith represents the film screen itself, with its black rectangular appearance. And that the monolith is also depicted as the catalyst for change only encourages the notion that we actually evolve as we watch ourselves on the screen, and furthermore, BECOME what we see. And that's what 2001 is ultimately about; becoming. Constant becoming. Constant becoming through endless mediation. What will become of you when the credits finally roll? I, for one, became a pretentious film critic. Expand
  2. JordanH.
    Dec 20, 2008
    This movie is in a league of it's own. No movie throughout the history of film can come close to this. By far the most intense drama ever. A movie that comments on evolution, technology, time and space. Oh yeah, after 40 years, still as fresh as the day it was released.
  3. KyleA.
    Jul 6, 2004
    This movie is one of the most intellectually stimulating films i've ever seen. Kubrick actually trusts the audience's intelligence and ability to ascertain the films ideals--a refreshing departure from most modern films. This element is essential in this film because its main point is the evolution of human intelligence--Arthur C. Clarke merely uses science-fiction aspects such This movie is one of the most intellectually stimulating films i've ever seen. Kubrick actually trusts the audience's intelligence and ability to ascertain the films ideals--a refreshing departure from most modern films. This element is essential in this film because its main point is the evolution of human intelligence--Arthur C. Clarke merely uses science-fiction aspects such as space travel and alien discoveries as a vehicle to drive these ideas. Beautifully directed--the best Sci-fi film ever created. Expand
  4. RobertR.
    Dec 9, 2006
    This movie is probably the only of its kind. It is the kind of movie that combines wacky ideas with serious and realistic scenes. An incredible picture. Nobody could have done this better than Stanley Kubrick. One of the things I liked best was the slowness, and how there were 5-minute scenes just of a space pod departing from the ship. Kubrick is able to realistically portray outer This movie is probably the only of its kind. It is the kind of movie that combines wacky ideas with serious and realistic scenes. An incredible picture. Nobody could have done this better than Stanley Kubrick. One of the things I liked best was the slowness, and how there were 5-minute scenes just of a space pod departing from the ship. Kubrick is able to realistically portray outer space, and to create a beautiful film. Expand
  5. MarcW
    Nov 11, 2009
    Watched it as a young kid, obviously thought it was just about the most tedious thing I'd ever sat through (ok I only got a third of the way through)......watched it again when I was 24, and haven't looked back since. Simply put it's one of those movies you almost feel obliged to pay homage to once a year. You hunker down in your armchair with a cup of tea, sandwiches, Watched it as a young kid, obviously thought it was just about the most tedious thing I'd ever sat through (ok I only got a third of the way through)......watched it again when I was 24, and haven't looked back since. Simply put it's one of those movies you almost feel obliged to pay homage to once a year. You hunker down in your armchair with a cup of tea, sandwiches, crisps a choco bar or two (it is a long film), dim the lights, lock the door and just devour the imagery. Its a wonderful movie, but I completely understand those who claim it's more like watching a screen saver than a movie, but that's what the cup of tea's for. There are moments when you just feel so completely at ease watching what is essentially artwork, others when you're provoked into thought's like no other movie can provide. It's a journey, sorry to be melodramatic, not a movie watching experience. And one everyone should make, it's not dated, despite it being, what? 40+ years old. Expand
  6. DavidR.
    Nov 26, 2007
    This is the greatest film ever made. Kubrick's masterpiece and one of the great works of art of the 20th century. A phenomenal testament to creative genius.
  7. ManolisS.
    Oct 1, 2006
    I think this is the first and last time that cinema escaped the theater and became part of our mythological collective unconscious.
  8. ChudG.
    May 9, 2008
    Aside from a couple nagging technical things, the tech and atmosphere depicted in the film is among the best in any movie ever. Extremely deep, enjoyable and uplifting. 11/10.
  9. Jan 11, 2013
    I give this film the highest rating, but I am still not sure if I like it. This film is intriguing, visually spectacular, and one of the most ambiguous I have seen. Its lack of dialogue can make a viewer seem disconnected, and some sequences with humans are disturbing in their lack of emotion, but maybe that was a point Kubrick was attempting to make. In the film, humankind is shown toI give this film the highest rating, but I am still not sure if I like it. This film is intriguing, visually spectacular, and one of the most ambiguous I have seen. Its lack of dialogue can make a viewer seem disconnected, and some sequences with humans are disturbing in their lack of emotion, but maybe that was a point Kubrick was attempting to make. In the film, humankind is shown to have essentially taken the place, emotionally, of their machines, who seem to be more human than they. Maybe, in conclusion, the philosophy of this film is that man cannot improve himself, but only bestow higher qualities on its creations, which they can never achieve. If this holds true, perhaps those who made the monoliths were conscious of this, and tried to elevate themselves by elevating man. Hard to like, but fantastic nonetheless (if that makes any sense). Expand
  10. May 25, 2014
    Arguably Stanley Kubrick best film I have found that when it comes to 2001: A Space Odyssey people either love it or hate it I am on the side that loves it. If out of all the movies I haved watched in my life this film seems more like art then a movie. It has a beautiful soundtrack that sets the tone of the movie the ambient space tones are raw and chilling and it touted amazing visualArguably Stanley Kubrick best film I have found that when it comes to 2001: A Space Odyssey people either love it or hate it I am on the side that loves it. If out of all the movies I haved watched in my life this film seems more like art then a movie. It has a beautiful soundtrack that sets the tone of the movie the ambient space tones are raw and chilling and it touted amazing visual effects for its time. The Story is a mind boggling adventure that leaves you dumbfounded.

Of course like many others I was young when I first watched this film now back then it was hard to even watch a 2 hour film id either fall asleep or just get bored of it. This movie though had another effect on me I was engulfed with awe and wonder id say it was the film that made me become the sci-fi junkie a am today. Stanley Kubrick's cinematography was simplistic yet masterful having long drawn out scene letting you embrace the full meaning of it was artistic.

For the people that don't like this film I call them "weak minded" this film takes quite a lot of thought to understand it and seeing how stupid most people are nowadays i can see why teenagers and young adults can't wrap their head around this film and films like it unless it has guns, explosions and hot chicks. Even now the film still leaves me wondering about the black monoliths.

Overall I give it a solid 10 This is Stanley Kubrick masterpiece and for good reason even today this film still holds its ground as the best sci-fi movie ever made and I think it will be sometime before a film will surpass it.
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    Totally took me surprise this movie. It's so different from any movie you've seen. The pacing is slow make no mistake but for me at least it was so interesting.
  12. Apr 26, 2014
    This film is surely the greatest accomplishment in the history of cinema both on a technical level and a storytelling level from the hands down the greatest filmmaker that America has ever produced. A film that demands to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Kubrick has practically destroyed the entire science fiction genre.
  13. Sep 2, 2014
    "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a very complex film. The first segment is somewhat boring to watch until the monolith shows up. After that, it's actually a very entertaining and intriguing film... until the last segment. The film just goes completely overboard and overly complicated when it really didn't need to be, and the Star Gate sequence, well, it's difficult to say how drawn out that part"2001: A Space Odyssey" is a very complex film. The first segment is somewhat boring to watch until the monolith shows up. After that, it's actually a very entertaining and intriguing film... until the last segment. The film just goes completely overboard and overly complicated when it really didn't need to be, and the Star Gate sequence, well, it's difficult to say how drawn out that part was. If the film was about 20 minutes shorter, cutting out the more boring parts of the beginning and making the Star Gate sequence shorter, it would have been a perfect experience. Expand
  14. Oct 6, 2011
    Acclaimed director Stanley Kubrick's SF masterpiece "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a conservative movie, asking the audience not to be amazed by the extraordinary visuals but the maturity and growth of a universal subject. The climax of the movie speeds up consistently and precisely with the breath taking cinematography of silence,and in the end....the movie itself becomes the universal subject.
  15. KennyH.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Timeless masterpiece!
  16. Oct 9, 2010
    This is movie as art in its fullest and most stunning format. How Kubrick made this look so futuristic in the year of 1968 it beyond me and probably most people on this planet. How much is covered in the short span of this film. It might just be the only film that seems to cover the whole history of the universe in a film. Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, KUBRICK.
  17. Nov 8, 2012
    This movie is very slow, and two hours of ships docking, apes and about 4 minutes of the monoliths that the movie is about. If I hadn't read the book first, I wouldn't know what the hell was happening. Read the book, not the movie.
  18. DaveS
    May 1, 2009
    A beautiful and mesmerizing film. I'm surprised by the two comments suggesting it's outdated. 40 years after release the special effects and settings hold up better then most newer films and certainly better then any of it's contemporaries. It's biggest failures were not predicting the demise of Ma Bell and Pan Am and believing that landing on the moon actually was A beautiful and mesmerizing film. I'm surprised by the two comments suggesting it's outdated. 40 years after release the special effects and settings hold up better then most newer films and certainly better then any of it's contemporaries. It's biggest failures were not predicting the demise of Ma Bell and Pan Am and believing that landing on the moon actually was just a "small step". Expand
  19. clyde
    Dec 28, 2009
    This movie was good.. anyone who thinks otherwise does not know a good movie.I think if you watched it at the time it should of gotten a 8 but for the modern generation i will be giving it a 7.
  20. Nov 17, 2014
    This movie did not impress me in the slightest. It is not as if the music is original. This "odyssey" is horribly incoherent and boring. I guess I just don't get it, nor do I want to.
  21. Nov 12, 2014
    Too abstract to provide anything, Stanley Kubrick's "masterpiece" is an overlong, lifeless adventure with one dimensional characters and a terribly disjointed plot (if there is any).
  22. Apr 14, 2012
    Honestly, I couldn't handle this movie at all. I only watched about 15 minutes of it, and after the second time I couldn't handle it. It just seemed very very boring. All I saw were monkeys going abe sh*t because there's a giant black...I don't know. A Bar? A Box? I don't know and I don't care. If this whole movie is gonna be quiet and weird than I don't think this is the movie for me. I'mHonestly, I couldn't handle this movie at all. I only watched about 15 minutes of it, and after the second time I couldn't handle it. It just seemed very very boring. All I saw were monkeys going abe sh*t because there's a giant black...I don't know. A Bar? A Box? I don't know and I don't care. If this whole movie is gonna be quiet and weird than I don't think this is the movie for me. I'm just amazed that this was critically the best movie by Stanley Kubrick. I've seen some of his weird movies that I don't get and understand how people would actually like it. Like 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'The Shining'. The only movie I found very decent was Full Metal Jacket. I'm just gonna give this movie half credit for the popularity for the viewers and reviewers. Expand
  23. MarkB.
    Aug 14, 2004
    Although a classic, the way 2001 looks and plays out is hopelessly dated by today's standards. While it definitely doesn't insult the viewer's intelligence, this becomes it's undoing as Stanley Kubrick overestimates his ability to hold the audiences attention. After halfway through, the backdrop becomes erratic and convoluted as if to match the increasing, but jumpy Although a classic, the way 2001 looks and plays out is hopelessly dated by today's standards. While it definitely doesn't insult the viewer's intelligence, this becomes it's undoing as Stanley Kubrick overestimates his ability to hold the audiences attention. After halfway through, the backdrop becomes erratic and convoluted as if to match the increasing, but jumpy plot. The audience is left bored and confused. This is a film to see only once to honor the milestone that it once was. Expand
  24. Sep 1, 2010
    Stanley Kubrick's epic sci-fi tale involving monkeys, space, monoliths & a Russian Leonard Rossiter.
    The first two hours of the film are fine, yes it does drag a little here & there, but builds the story up nicely.
    The parts with HAL & Dave & Frank are, for me, just fantastic. You get a great sense of claustrophobia with the space suit scenes & the breathing being the only soundtrack.
    The parts with HAL & Dave & Frank are, for me, just fantastic.
    You get a great sense of claustrophobia with the space suit scenes & the breathing being the only soundtrack. There's also something very sinister about HAL singing Daisy Daisy, with his voice getting lower & lower.
    Then the last half hour. I watched it again just to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Looking at some of the other reviews, it seems I'm not alone in missing the point of it. Total nonsense.
    Anyway, aside from that, it is still a good film which has stood the test of time 40 years on. Great visuals, brilliant soundtrack & very influential in the way sci-fi films were made afterwards.
  25. Oct 10, 2012
    2001: A Space Odyssey is an amazing science fiction film with astonishing, timeless effects. The movie manages to be quite terrifying without the use of action sequences or monsters (as is the want of modern sci-fi). Fear and wonder of the unknown makes for quite the potent mix. I love the fact that the ending is so inscrutable. It leaves you startled and uneasy with a total lack of2001: A Space Odyssey is an amazing science fiction film with astonishing, timeless effects. The movie manages to be quite terrifying without the use of action sequences or monsters (as is the want of modern sci-fi). Fear and wonder of the unknown makes for quite the potent mix. I love the fact that the ending is so inscrutable. It leaves you startled and uneasy with a total lack of understanding. But that's the way the universe is; totally beyond our understanding. Expand
  26. Aug 4, 2011
    I had the good fortune of seeing 2001 in its first release at a fully decked-out cinerama theater when I was 11 years old --really the perfect age of wonder for such an imagination inspiring movie. It blew my mind along with everyone else's, and even at that young age I knew that with this film everything about motion picture storytelling had suddenly changed. Amazingly, the movie stillI had the good fortune of seeing 2001 in its first release at a fully decked-out cinerama theater when I was 11 years old --really the perfect age of wonder for such an imagination inspiring movie. It blew my mind along with everyone else's, and even at that young age I knew that with this film everything about motion picture storytelling had suddenly changed. Amazingly, the movie still holds up, particularly visually. It doesn't suffer the fate of most science fiction films --2001 will never be seen as "retro". Expand
  27. Jan 11, 2014
    I like to think that I'm pretty open minded when it comes to different film genre's but 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of those critically acclaimed films that has just never connected with me. Yes, I understand that there is hiding depth and meaning behind the (especially at the time) beautifully crafted scenes but the slow pace, and running time of over two and a half hours, made it aI like to think that I'm pretty open minded when it comes to different film genre's but 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of those critically acclaimed films that has just never connected with me. Yes, I understand that there is hiding depth and meaning behind the (especially at the time) beautifully crafted scenes but the slow pace, and running time of over two and a half hours, made it a chore to sit through. I'm all for cinema that does something different but I watch movies to be entertained and in that regard 2001: A Space Odyssey just doesn't work for me. Expand
  28. Oct 8, 2011
    This film is one of the cinema masterpieces. The soundtrack is sublime and besides the plot has a significance that few films have. Good special effects too.
  29. Jun 18, 2012
    A brilliant sci-fi epic about the evolution and devolution of mankind, 2001: A Space Odyssey is filled with haunting imagery, nuanced performances, and a profound agenda wrapped around the ambiguity of space and the unknown.
  30. Feb 7, 2014
    I must say I don't get the hype of this movie. I could not even see the whole thing in one sitting because i was having trouble staying awake. I will say though that it looks fantastic the special effects definetly still hold up today and the directing was good. I would say see it for yourself because obviously a lot of people do not agree with me but I'm not sure I could sit through itI must say I don't get the hype of this movie. I could not even see the whole thing in one sitting because i was having trouble staying awake. I will say though that it looks fantastic the special effects definetly still hold up today and the directing was good. I would say see it for yourself because obviously a lot of people do not agree with me but I'm not sure I could sit through it again. I honestly think now that people just say it's great because they don't want to be the one that says they don't get it. Expand

1. This is the way this ground-breaking monument was meant to be seen: in mind-boggling 70mm.
  2. Its special effects are used so seamlessly as part of an overall artistic strategy that, as critic Annette Michelson has pointed out, they don't even register as such, and thus are almost impossible to trivialize, a feat unmatched in movies.
    Only a few films are transcendent, and work upon our minds and imaginations like music or prayer or a vast belittling landscape...Alone among science-fiction movies, 2001 is not concerned with thrilling us, but with inspiring our awe.