8.5

1. Sep 5, 2014
    2001:A Space Odyssey manages to intrigue you every way by telling a story in a very unconventional way.With hidden messages and meanings, Stanley Kubrick's vision improved the material and gave it an artistic value.
  2. Sep 2, 2014
    "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a very complex film. The first segment is somewhat boring to watch until the monolith shows up. After that, it's actually a very entertaining and intriguing film... until the last segment. The film just goes completely overboard and overly complicated when it really didn't need to be, and the Star Gate sequence, well, it's difficult to say how drawn out that part was. If the film was about 20 minutes shorter, cutting out the more boring parts of the beginning and making the Star Gate sequence shorter, it would have been a perfect experience. Expand
  3. Aug 16, 2014
    This is, hands down, one of the best sci-fi films ever, and a very beautiful one as well. Not for everyone, this slow paced, with little dialogue, but stunning visuals. Who would've thought that Strauss and flying satellites would go along so well. Great performances, great screenplay, great soundtrack, marvelous cinematography, brilliant directing and a lot, a lot more. A masterpiece, a piece of art. Kubrick at his best. Expand
  4. Aug 13, 2014
    Absolutely a classic of film. The rich story does not give what it is about. It symbolizes that us humans are still evolving and that in order to achieve greater things, we must overcome what we know and keep dreaming. A movie that everyone one should see.
  5. Jul 21, 2014
    Que difícil es hacer una crítica de esta película... la odio y me gusta a la vez. Una película muy compleja, buena para la época en la que se hizo, ya que si la hubieran hecho el año pasado puede que le bajara dos o tres puntos. De Kubrick hay obras mejores pero esta al fin y al cabo es una buena película.
  6. Jul 9, 2014
    This film is fantastic. Now, it is very, very slow and can be a tad dull for sure, but for the most part, it is wraps you up and refuses to let go. The imagery is immaculate and you can see Kubrick's trademark cinematography here and it is absolutely gorgeous. It was hard to pick my jaw up from the floor at times when seeing the beautiful images he managed to construct. In addition, the special effects are phenomenal. For 2014 they are great, let alone for 1968. Just absolutely stunning to watch. The sets are also brilliantly put together. In terms of sound, the soundtrack is phenomenal and is a great companion to the images. The acting here is solid, but that was all that was required, as there is not that much dialogue where acting is crucial, but they were competent and in the more dialogue carried sequences did well. This film is undoubtedly tough to grasp after watching it, but there is certainly more going on than meets the eye. However, what does meet the eye is the brilliant imagery and amazing "future" (past now) that Stanley Kubrick put on screen. Just truly a brilliant work of art. Expand
  7. Jul 2, 2014
    How do I begin to describe this film? It's too good for words, and it always will be! Stanley Kubrick gives us this provocative and interesting film about who we are and where we're going. It truly shows us what it is like to actually be human, and the mistakes we make.

A flawless science fiction (or science fact) film so enigmatic and chilling, its legacy still impacts our world today.
    2001: A Space Odyssey is the big bang of sci-fi and will always be the greatest of the genre. Expand
  8. Jun 12, 2014
    2001 A Space Odyssey is the very definition of poetry in film. It unfolds life a beautiful symphony with all it's notes striking in just the right place. It's the perfect example when images are more beautiful, artistic and insightful than words and 2001 doesn't have too many words and they are in no way as important as what it shows. It ranks up as one of the greatest films of all time and for the right reasons. Expand
  9. Jun 11, 2014
    After watching this movie for the first time, i was mesmerized. It's a very simple movie, yet very in depth, some may say it's boring. From start to finish you will see art at it's finest. In 1991, this film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry
  10. May 25, 2014
    Arguably Stanley Kubrick best film I have found that when it comes to 2001: A Space Odyssey people either love it or hate it I am on the side that loves it. If out of all the movies I haved watched in my life this film seems more like art then a movie. It has a beautiful soundtrack that sets the tone of the movie the ambient space tones are raw and chilling and it touted amazing visual effects for its time. The Story is a mind boggling adventure that leaves you dumbfounded.

Of course like many others I was young when I first watched this film now back then it was hard to even watch a 2 hour film id either fall asleep or just get bored of it. This movie though had another effect on me I was engulfed with awe and wonder id say it was the film that made me become the sci-fi junkie a am today. Stanley Kubrick's cinematography was simplistic yet masterful having long drawn out scene letting you embrace the full meaning of it was artistic.

For the people that don't like this film I call them "weak minded" this film takes quite a lot of thought to understand it and seeing how stupid most people are nowadays i can see why teenagers and young adults can't wrap their head around this film and films like it unless it has guns, explosions and hot chicks. Even now the film still leaves me wondering about the black monoliths.

Overall I give it a solid 10 This is Stanley Kubrick masterpiece and for good reason even today this film still holds its ground as the best sci-fi movie ever made and I think it will be sometime before a film will surpass it.
  11. May 23, 2014
    Stanley Kubrick was so **** sick to make this **** meaningless, foolish, **** **** MOVIE, And also hate his other movies Mother **** Stanley was so sick. **** bastard
  12. Apr 26, 2014
    This film is surely the greatest accomplishment in the history of cinema both on a technical level and a storytelling level from the hands down the greatest filmmaker that America has ever produced. A film that demands to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Kubrick has practically destroyed the entire science fiction genre.
  13. Apr 9, 2014
    The grandaddy of sci-fi, an incomparable experience of sense and of mind. Best to approach the revelationary details of the book afterwards, allowing Kubrick's sense of style and majesty to pervade the inner mind.
  14. Apr 6, 2014
    The first time I've seen this movie, I was boored and disappointed, because I had false expectations, but after awhile I understood the idea behind it: This movie tells a story of the development of mankind and shows the beauty and infinity of space. When you watch it, then you must absorb the atmosphere.

This movie shows Hollywood, that a really good space movie should have an
    experience, which makes you speechless, when you think about it!

Apart from some scenes, which are a bit too long for me, this movie is wonderful. When it came out, this technology revolutionized the filmmaking!
  15. Apr 2, 2014
    A well crafted piece of art. Incredibly unusual last act! From "Open the pod bay doors, HAL" unleash the thrills and mystery of an influential, mind blowing adventure unlike any other, from prehistoric ape-ancestry into uncharted realms of space. Personally, I loved the middle, HAL was terrifying and unpredictable villain. Not everyones type of movie. The film ends leaving more questions than answers. Expand
  16. Mar 23, 2014
    Beautiful, deep and mind-blowing, "2001: A Space Odyssey" is definitely a film that needs reconsideration before blind criticism over its plot. The story is not linear and simple, but piled with lots of metaphors and symbols. The use of music is absolutely fantastic. I recommend it to everyone who loves to argue about philosophical topics and to everyone who just really like movies.
  17. Feb 23, 2014
    Outstanding use of everything that has to do with film. Cinematography, scenery, direction, pace, dialectics, score and especially narrative. The most fascinating and thought provoking film I have ever seen. Way past 10/10
  18. Feb 23, 2014
    Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" is often claimed to be the greatest and most influential Sci-Fi classic of all-time. Cases have been made for and against it, mainly whether the film is brilliant or boring. Which is it? Is it a brilliant, sacred jewel of cinema, or is it a dull, lifeless bore? In this case, it's not a matter of OR, but rather, a case of AND. "2001: A Space Odyssey" is both brilliant and boing, however not necessarily at the same time.

Before an examination of both sides, a few points must be made Crystal clear. There are two absolutely essential qualities that must be exhibited to attain enjoyment: A persistent patience, and a clear, conscious open mind. If neither of these two factors are present upon viewing, the film will come off as an instant failure, thus remaining as a frail, distant memory.

As I conclude this introduction, it must be noted that this movie is not any way, shape, or form a "bad" movie. There are spurts and shines of both brilliance and bore; however, it is up to the viewer to decide where and how these victories and faults outweigh the other. Now, onward to the actual review. Let's take a look at the cons first.

CONS:

Pace. Pace. Pace. Paint drying on a wall is faster than the pace that is demonstrated in this film. The momentum is excrutionally painful and abysmally slow, which serves as the prime reason for its downgrades. For those who require a constant, accelerated speed for pace, this would be an ill-suited movie. For those who don't mind a slower progressing, trance inducing plot, this is the quintessential film.

No emotional connection with any of the characters. At no point throughout the course of the film does the viewer feel any sort of liking, disliking, sympathy, suspicion, or annoyance for any character. They are all bland, with no exceptional quality. Kubrick should've known this, and it's an unfortunate shame that a movie as potentially great as this has this undeniable flaw.

PROS:

Excellency of 'Style over Substance': Despite the cons, "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a beautifully and wonderfully constructed movie. It is the pinnacle of movies that was able to escape the grasp of the basic fundamental concept of substance over style. Where it lacks in substance, it makes up for - plus more - in style. The effects? To say these effects were way past its time would be an understatement.

The Famous Match-Cut: This, in my purest opinion, is the strongest suit for this movie's credentials. If unclear on what a Match-Cut is, Wikipedia defines it as "a cut in film editing between either two different objects, spaces, or compositions in which an object in the two shots graphically match" (this is often done to link a strong parallel between the two objects). Although the effects are seen by the general public as the film's greatest accolade, this Match-Cut can't be denied as the best in cinema history. The appraisal this sequence could receive should be endless, an even that wouldn't be enough. Starting with the opening of "The Dawn of Man" (literally), the segment spirals through the events of a tribe of apes being ruled by another, discovering the use of bones, and overcoming the tribe through the use of those bones. As the leader of the victorious tribe throws the bone in the air, it rotates in a clockwise rotation. Upon its coming down, the scene shifts from the falling bone to a satellite in outer space, 4 million years later. The scene that transpires is one that truly can not be put into words. The segment, along with the music implemented, unquestionably makes this one of the most appraised and memorable segments in all of cinema. Just that 5 minute work of art will make every viewer indulge deeply in thought to realize how far the human race has truly come.

Cinematography: Time and time again, Stanley Kubrick is able to achieve perfection when it comes to cinematography. Every shot and every angle is executed perfectly without any sort of fault. What else should we expect? There's a reason why he's often labeled as a perfectionist.

These are the pros and cons of the movie as I saw fit. This movie will not be viewed as awe-inspiring by all, but is definitely a journey that everyone must experience. As stated in the beginning of this review, "2001: A Space Odyssey" will be remembered either as a life-changing endeavor, or a time-wasting, disappointing tease of what could have been. 6.25/10
  19. Feb 10, 2014
    In my opinion the greatest achievement in film-making, as even today it remains a standout in terms of its cinematography. "2001: A Space Odyssey" embarks you on a journey not only pleasing to the eye but equally stimulating to the mind, engaging it with philosophical questions regarding our existence, evolution and progress towards the future. A pioneer in the sci-fi genre, it remains unique in content and unmatched in visual effects, making it the ultimate masterpiece. Expand
  20. Feb 7, 2014
    I must say I don't get the hype of this movie. I could not even see the whole thing in one sitting because i was having trouble staying awake. I will say though that it looks fantastic the special effects definetly still hold up today and the directing was good. I would say see it for yourself because obviously a lot of people do not agree with me but I'm not sure I could sit through it again. I honestly think now that people just say it's great because they don't want to be the one that says they don't get it. Expand
  21. Jan 25, 2014
    Absolutely astonishing. Fantastic film, despite being over 40 years old, albeit a tad slow. Very few films can stand at the level of sci-fi greatness that this films achieves.
  22. Jan 11, 2014
    I like to think that I'm pretty open minded when it comes to different film genre's but 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of those critically acclaimed films that has just never connected with me. Yes, I understand that there is hiding depth and meaning behind the (especially at the time) beautifully crafted scenes but the slow pace, and running time of over two and a half hours, made it a chore to sit through. I'm all for cinema that does something different but I watch movies to be entertained and in that regard 2001: A Space Odyssey just doesn't work for me. Expand
  23. Jan 6, 2014
    Clássico máximo da ficção científica, um dos filmes mais emblemáticos do cinema.
  24. Dec 7, 2013
    2001 is a visual and audio marvel. The visual effects and the set design were decades ahead of its time, and still look exquisite in the twenty-first century. Many of its techniques were imitated, and a greater number were inspired by it.

The movie starts around the time humans came into being. Two tribes of apes clash over a pond of water. One is driven away. They discover something
    that perhaps gives them intelligence, which they use to defeat their rivals. The plot jumps into the future where a similar object, which might have been left behind by intelligent beings some four million years earlier, is discovered on the moon. A team is sent to Jupiter to further investigate the matter.

A number of themes are explored in the movie, the chief among them is our curiosity to find beings who are at the same level of intelligence, if not more, than us. In that pursuit, the humans of this future world have invented a supercomputer to assist in the voyage to the distant planet, but which eventually malfunctions and is prone to consider its logic superior. This is an early example of technological singularity depicted on the big screen.

The technology of the future world (which we still have not arrived at more than a decade after the year 2001) is dominated in outer space by the Americans and the Russians. The spacecraft carry passengers to and fro from space stations where research is being carried on.

All this mystery would have created a sense of urgency, but Kubrick downplays it and concentrates on the narrative instead of resorting to cheap tricks. This movie is not about tension and drama. It is quite clear that Kubrick, by deliberately keeping the pacing in check, wants us to have a look around the world he has created and reflect. The images are original but the music is classical, and they blend so well I couldn't help feel engrossed in the narrative.

In the genre of science fiction, there is no parallel, chiefly because other movies have concerned itself with complex ideas, and though they may have succeeded, can only be watched a limited number of times. But 2001 is such a basic sci-fi flick that it never aged. Even after more than forty years since it came out, 2001 still manages to hold its own against other films in the genre in the departments of visual effects and art direction. By keeping the story simple, Kubrick has ensured that its ideas do not become outdated, and succeeded in bestowing a timeless quality upon the movie.

He said somewhere along the lines that everyone will take its own meaning from the movie, and has made no attempt to explain the ending. This is the same approach he later applied with another movie of his, The Shining, but which in my opinion suffered because I could not see the coherence in it. But here, by keeping his ambition in check, and showing only what is necessary to the onward flow of the narrative, he has excelled. 2001: A Space Odyssey is my favourite Stanley Kubrick film.
  25. Dec 2, 2013
    2001 (not to be confused with the year) is a mind-blowing motion picture that blows the stars outer space with it's artistic production
    ..............
  26. Nov 20, 2013
    some people nowadays would say that this movie is really boring and slow,i just say then because this movie is the best film that happens in the space of all time(and i guess it will stay in this post for a long time),it's just a great classic that influencesses this generation.
  27. Nov 18, 2013
    I have no idea which movie you seen, but obviously I did not watch one. What I did watch, however, was a 2 hour long visual escapade of the void.

Character motivation; never established (or horribly rushed),
    Character development; non-existent,
    Character depth; non-existent (2D personality; not even a shred of emotion, and with some astonishingly stupid characters. And yes, even Hal),

The plot; never fully established,
    Scene transition (like from ancient times to post-modern times); non-existent, it is being cut so quickly it makes it seem like every single scene shouts "Retcon!"
    Visual effects: The entire focus, this movie is just a mish-mash of visual effects. Just call it a demo-reel and be done with it. This is no movie. The way the effects blend in don't even make any sense.
    The music score: The entire focus as well, but just like the visuals; no effort to connect the music to the scenes was taken. Apparently they just hoped it will work itself out, and they were so proud of the music they even allowed the final track to keep on playing for an extra 3 minutes after the credits had already disappeared just to fully use every single shred of dime they wasted on this film.

When you have to put all of your energies in order to save a movie, instead of being showered with content by the movie; you obviously put way too much into the medium. Just read a book, people.
  28. Nov 14, 2013
    Despite its sluggish pace, Kubrick's sci-fi epic "2001: A Spacey Odyssey" is still powerful, thought-provoking, chock full of "how-the-hell-did-they-do-that" shots, and a must-watch.
  29. Oct 25, 2013
    Forgive me for being corny, but the movie is cinematically flawless, it's effects are shocking for 1968. The first authentic sci-fi about the physics of space. Stanley Kubrick imagined and eventually created a masterpiece of cinema, with a very well-thought out HAL character. The idea of a computer being ironic and being able to beg for it's life is brilliant and unfathomable. It is the archetype of the modern science fiction film. Expand
  30. Oct 13, 2013
    My favourite Science-Fiction movie of all time, Stanley Kubrick began making something that would change the face of the movie going experience, and represent a growth in the industry that only comes once in a lifetime

It's obvious to say nothing looked like this before in 1968, the moon landing was still a year away and no one knew what the earth looked like from up there. That model
    space station circling that painting of the earth is burned into my brain and perfectly transcends beyond the scope of any average Hollywood movie

The First 20 mins alone is a silent masterpiece, When at a time the world was growing so rapidly, Kubrick rewound time and showed you something so prehistoric that I also don't think there has been anything else quite like it, suddenly you're shot thousands of years into space and it's obvious that this movie really is just an accompany piece to some incredibly large scale music pieces (if that wasn't so obvious from the title sequence). The Monolith is so Arthur C. Clarke, to this day it's identity is still shrouded in mystery, does it grant knowledge or just appear at pivotal events? regardless the mystery has endured the objects charm and legacy.

Towards the final act, astronaut David Bowman fights for control over the spaceship against the HAL 9000, in a harrowing display of humanity's reliance in computers, symmetrical rooms unnerving silence all eventually builds towards the trippy Jupiter and Beyond sequence, I very much recommended Pink Floyd's "Echoes" for something truly mind blowing.

Despised on release but later praised by so many critics this film will probably never be fully understood, but whatever the hell it's suppose to be it is something truly mysterious and beautiful much like the idea of space exploration itself, it's so obvious the film is built to accompany a series of classical music pieces than it is storytelling, watching 2001 is proof respect can be brought to the science fiction genre with staggering results, dare I say science eventuality?

Final Verdict: Beautiful music, Stunning visuals and a story set throughout the years and stars themselves... Only Kubrick could have pulled this off.

1. This is the way this ground-breaking monument was meant to be seen: in mind-boggling 70mm.
  2. Its special effects are used so seamlessly as part of an overall artistic strategy that, as critic Annette Michelson has pointed out, they don't even register as such, and thus are almost impossible to trivialize, a feat unmatched in movies.
    Only a few films are transcendent, and work upon our minds and imaginations like music or prayer or a vast belittling landscape...Alone among science-fiction movies, 2001 is not concerned with thrilling us, but with inspiring our awe.