5.3

1. Jul 21, 2014
    21 & Over was absolutely hilarious. It's essentially a lower budget and more youthful version of The Hangover and it delivers with the same type of humor. The acting is adequate enough by the main stars and the events that happen during the night make you laugh from almost beginning to end. The film doesn't take long to get into the plot and you ride the wave until the credits roll. There21 & Over was absolutely hilarious. It's essentially a lower budget and more youthful version of The Hangover and it delivers with the same type of humor. The acting is adequate enough by the main stars and the events that happen during the night make you laugh from almost beginning to end. The film doesn't take long to get into the plot and you ride the wave until the credits roll. There are some moments that feel a bit too ridiculous but they don't take too much away from the viewing experience. Overall, it's worth checking out if you want a good laugh. Expand
  2. Feb 16, 2014
    Mix "The Hangover" with "Projet X" and add some "Superbad" and you'll get this, nonsense comedy about becoming an adult, getting **** and causing mayhem! We all laughed our heads off.
  3. Nov 27, 2013
    21 & Over is the directorial debut from the writers of the Hangover trilogy, and it could have easily been called The Hangover Jr. It's Jeff Chang's 21st birthday and his High School friends show up to take him out. With a big interview in the morning, the boys are planning on taking it easy, but things don't quite turn out that way. I was expecting this film to be yet another chance to21 & Over is the directorial debut from the writers of the Hangover trilogy, and it could have easily been called The Hangover Jr. It's Jeff Chang's 21st birthday and his High School friends show up to take him out. With a big interview in the morning, the boys are planning on taking it easy, but things don't quite turn out that way. I was expecting this film to be yet another chance to exploit the magic of the first Hangover film, but surprisingly it does not. The story has many similarities, but also a uniqueness about it. 21 & Over does manage to capture that amazing chemistry and magic that made the Hangover legendary. The whole time I was watching this film, I couldn't help but think, why didn't they put this kind of thought into the Hangover sequels? Don't get me wrong, I liked the sequels, but neither one of this is as good as this film was. Justin Chon, unfortunately only known from the Twilight series, stars in a role that was seemingly made for him. This guy was so freaking funny, that I had to be careful not to piss my pants, almost every time he opened his mouth. The other stand out is Project X's Miles Teller, and while he's much better looking than Alan, he does manage to capture that loveable extreme weirdness that Zack Galifinakis had. It's easy to look at 21 & Over and say it's going to be just like the Hangover, and you wouldn't be wrong. Parts of the film are eerily similar, but the youth factor and college atmosphere does give the film a life of it's own and trust me when I tell you, it was absolutely hysterical. Expand
  4. Oct 16, 2013
    I was recently persuaded by my four male roommates to watch the comedy film “21 & Over”. The movie did not have any well known actors; the three lead roles were Miles Teller, Skylar Astin, and Justin Chon. The focus of the movie was on three high school best friends that meet up at their friend Jeff’s college campus to celebrate his 21st birthday. The setting of the film is present day onI was recently persuaded by my four male roommates to watch the comedy film “21 & Over”. The movie did not have any well known actors; the three lead roles were Miles Teller, Skylar Astin, and Justin Chon. The focus of the movie was on three high school best friends that meet up at their friend Jeff’s college campus to celebrate his 21st birthday. The setting of the film is present day on a college campus, mostly during the night of Jeff’s birthday.
    The majority of the film consists of the three friends binge drinking on the night of one of the boy’s 21st birthday. The movie starts by two of the friends surprising Jeff on his doorstep to celebrate his birthday. Jeff is very hesitant to go out and celebrate because he has a medical school interview the following morning. After a lot of persuasion, Jeff finally agrees to go out for one drink. Of course, the next scene cuts to a very drunk Jeff who has clearly had more than one drink. The boys attend a number of bars and eventually Jeff throws up and passes out. His friends believe it is time to go home, but they realize they are not sure when their friends house is. The friends had met a pretty sorority girl at one of the bars earlier and they believe their only way of finding out where Jeff lives is to find her. The rest of the movie consists of the boys searching for their friends house to get him back home and rested before his big medical school interview in the morning.
    The acting in this movie was very poor. There was no surprise that the lead actors are not popular or found in many other movies. The characters did not portray their emotions in a way that allowed the audience to connect or understand, making it hard to believe the storyline. The monotone voices of the characters made it nearly impossible to have much interest or excitement about what was going on.
    The camera angles and shots were also poorly execute in this film. Most shots were eye level, completely disregarding any angled shots to get messages across. The only camera technique that was attempted was close up shots during scenes that were meant to be emotional or intimate. It seemed as though most of the shots used in the movie were only meant to show the audience a standard view; no messages were able to be portrayed or expressed through the shots in the film. Everything about the film was basic, and this included the filmmaking techniques. The target audience of this film is definitely a younger crowd of high school and college kids, so perhaps the directors believed they could get away with the poor filmmaking techniques.
    My overall reaction to the film was not a good one. The story line was something that has been done multiple times before. It seemed as though the director and screenwriters were desperately trying to be like successful comedies before them, such as “The Hangover”. There was nothing new or exciting about this movie. In addition to the poor and overused storyline, the acting was terrible. The interaction of the characters seemed forced and there was little believable emotion. Perhaps if the filming techniques were stronger the film could have been a little better, but even the camera shots, editing, and background music were also less than par. In addition to the poor filming, any female character in the movie was only talked about in a sexualized way; whether it was the boys trying to sleep with the sorority girl or them spanking other college girls, it was clear the boys viewed the girls only as sexual objects. It is also evident the target audience of the film is young men. There was nothing enjoyable about this “comedy” and I would not recommend seeing it. That was the last time I will take a movie suggestion from my roommates.
  5. Sep 13, 2013
    Eh, it had it's moments. Though, the funny parts didn't balance the stupid parts out so well. Basically, the entire movie was parties and people getting drunk. Therefore, this movie deserves a 4/10.
  6. Aug 23, 2013
    21 & over has only bad thing. It hasn't got many laughs as the trailer promises. Despite that, it's a good comedy with a really good concept (which reminded me a lot ''Hangover'') and a really good cast. It seems a little like a copy of The Hangover but it surely isn't so funny. You will enjoy it and I think if you like Old school, Superbad and Hangover you will like that movie. It's a21 & over has only bad thing. It hasn't got many laughs as the trailer promises. Despite that, it's a good comedy with a really good concept (which reminded me a lot ''Hangover'') and a really good cast. It seems a little like a copy of The Hangover but it surely isn't so funny. You will enjoy it and I think if you like Old school, Superbad and Hangover you will like that movie. It's a comedy that will be similar to other comedies. **It is better than Project X** I rate it with 6,5/10 Expand
  7. Aug 5, 2013
    Dont understand the critics... this movie is just awesome! I mean they have a awesome time and also kind of massive problems but still joking about everything and thats my friends is how young people are likely amused! That doesnt mean they live like this or want to live like this! Everyone or nearly everyone knows that live doesnt work like this but guys its a ''Movie'' its not real andDont understand the critics... this movie is just awesome! I mean they have a awesome time and also kind of massive problems but still joking about everything and thats my friends is how young people are likely amused! That doesnt mean they live like this or want to live like this! Everyone or nearly everyone knows that live doesnt work like this but guys its a ''Movie'' its not real and it doesnt make (atleast normal people) people think to live like this!
    This movie is just hilarious and absolutely recommended!
    It deserves more recommends than just old people hating who doesnt understand the technology and ''kids'' today
  8. Jul 29, 2013
    Rather typicall teen/highschool/party comedy story wise. A good 93 mins of entertainment. If don't set your expectations too high it's good fun but nothing more.
  9. Jul 24, 2013
    Fans of The Hangover and Superbad will be right at home here with this hilarious 'coming-of-age' Comedy that might be pretty similar to those other ones out there, but at the end of the day they are highly entertaining and nothing but fun to watch when you are with mates. The characters are likable and its a well-written storyline despite being a little on the predictable side. All upFans of The Hangover and Superbad will be right at home here with this hilarious 'coming-of-age' Comedy that might be pretty similar to those other ones out there, but at the end of the day they are highly entertaining and nothing but fun to watch when you are with mates. The characters are likable and its a well-written storyline despite being a little on the predictable side. All up though an entertaining film that should appeal to the teens and as long as not taken seriously you'll enjoy it. Expand
  10. Jul 16, 2013
    This is a fun movie for who just want to see crazy things happen.Even though the beginning was really annoying,it is a fun,crazy movie for when your bored.
  11. Jun 21, 2013
    "21 and Over" could celebrate that miraculous moment when the final barrier to adulthood falls by the wayside, as the act of legally buying alcohol instantly goes from forbidden act to routine. However, the movie just uses the moment as a springboard to a cynical college-age "Hangover" redo with far fewer developed characters and even less inventive adventures. This is the directorial"21 and Over" could celebrate that miraculous moment when the final barrier to adulthood falls by the wayside, as the act of legally buying alcohol instantly goes from forbidden act to routine. However, the movie just uses the moment as a springboard to a cynical college-age "Hangover" redo with far fewer developed characters and even less inventive adventures. This is the directorial debut of Jon Lucas and Scott Moore, who wrote "The Hangover (2009)." "21 & Over" pretends to take chances even as it retraces the same sequences we've already seen in movies like--well--"The Hangover." It's hard to completely hate "21 & Over," but you cannot really laugh at it either. The most you can do is just pity it for not being as outrageous as it thinks it is. Expand
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    Not my type of movie at all. This is a film that should have been straight to dvd along with the American Pie movies. If you like an unfunny movie where people just get wasted you will like this film.
  13. Jun 4, 2013
    Movie studios like burning off their comedies in March before the summer blockbusters hit so that they stand a chance, they also burn off bad films here too. Luckily enough 21 & Over isn't much like fellow party comedy Project X which was released last March and felt more like burn off than valid comedy. 21 & Over is about when Jeff Chang (Justin Chon) turns 21 and his old friends MillerMovie studios like burning off their comedies in March before the summer blockbusters hit so that they stand a chance, they also burn off bad films here too. Luckily enough 21 & Over isn't much like fellow party comedy Project X which was released last March and felt more like burn off than valid comedy. 21 & Over is about when Jeff Chang (Justin Chon) turns 21 and his old friends Miller and Casey (Miles Teller and Skylar Astin) come to take him out for a night on the town. However the trio soon find out a lot has changed between them and it may take some unexpected events to bring everyone back together. Right off the bat 21 hobbles itself by limiting the screen time of its funniest character. Jeff Chang is hilarious and is sadly not in the film as long as the other two leads. That doesn't mean that Miller and Casey aren't interesting but they do take some time to grow on you, especially Miller whose quite caustic at the beginning and will either entertain people or infuriate them. The fact is that by the end they are 3 very well rounded characters (some might say stereotypes) who can annoy at times but liven up a film that is more coincidence than plot. Their misadventures are tamer than that of Project X so they feel a lot more real and therefore are funnier and more entertaining and the crazy stuff that happens doesn't feel like its from another planet. The film is populated by some odd characters but they never feel ridiculous, even the LSD taking college professor seems oddly believable in the world director Jon Lucas has created. All these side characters provide some good laughs although the required love interest section of the film has nothing to it, if feels wrong and honestly the film didn't need the distraction and it ultimately ruins the ending of one of these characters story because he is forced to do the Hollywood thing and chase after the girl. The film at first suffers from some scripting problems as the film is trying to sound youthful but it doesn't quite ring true but after a while you get used to it, its just not the most expertly written dialogue and it isn't nearly as edgy as they think it is. However it is an enjoyable film because it doesn't take itself too seriously and even the ending where some lesson must be learnt it isn't forced upon you so much that it ruins the fun you had watching the film in the first place. Expand
  14. Jun 4, 2013
    "While its not going to be an "instant classic" nor is up to par with Project X. But 21 & Over is not afraid to take some jokes to a new level, while the overall vibe is silly & pointless. This is a night that deep down we all dream of living at some point" ..B+
  15. May 20, 2013
    a really fun time but it copy's from so many other films its unbelievable so that's why it gets that score.so go and see it with your mates.
  16. Apr 3, 2013
    The poorly filmed, hand-cam drunken escapes of my life would make a better movie than this could ever hope to be. Yeah, some of the jokes are funny, but really it's the same movie you've seen before.
  17. Mar 27, 2013
    I really hope that this movie doesn't do well. This movie caters to the lowest common denominator of moviegoers, with constant stupidity and epithets against Chinese, blacks, and Eskimos??? Who thought that this was a good idea? Because I would love to trap him or her in a jail cell for life!
  18. Mar 17, 2013
    it's actually really funny, much better than project x, but nowhere near as good as superbad, but it's still wildly entertaining nonetheless, you should watch it
  19. Mar 12, 2013
    This movie was absolutely hilarious, i would suggest this movie if you enjoyed the hangover and other such movies of that nature. Funniest movie to come out this year so far, if your looking for a good narritive, its not for you; this is all about the laughs and fun of being 21.
  20. Mar 11, 2013
    21 And Over is a movie based on desperate teens who want the law of drinking, smoking and taking drugs. And basically this film is also harmful to religion for Chinese people. 21 And Over deserves a zero.
  21. Mar 10, 2013
    Watching other people getting drunk and having a good time, usually doesn't work for me, and is the case here. Too many "wild party" movies have hit the screen lately and the formula is getting more and more tired. Of course, Hollywood loves their formulas and here it seems simple raunchy behavior is all this movie could conjure up. Films that embark down the dark path of raunch must haveWatching other people getting drunk and having a good time, usually doesn't work for me, and is the case here. Too many "wild party" movies have hit the screen lately and the formula is getting more and more tired. Of course, Hollywood loves their formulas and here it seems simple raunchy behavior is all this movie could conjure up. Films that embark down the dark path of raunch must have wit and verve like the Hangover I and II, otherwise its just young people acting stupidly. If I wanted to see that I hang out with High Schoolers. Of course as there are very few options for movie at the moment, this is better than throwing your money away on the Oz disaster. Expand
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    Much funnier than expected and clearly better than a 34. The taller kid does his best Vince Vaughn "tribute", and he's serviceable. His more sincere counterpart is a decent straight. Jeff Chang fills his role nicely and he's endearing enough for you to pull for him, especially during the extended getting-drunk sequence. I appreciate his breakin' and his application of his driversMuch funnier than expected and clearly better than a 34. The taller kid does his best Vince Vaughn "tribute", and he's serviceable. His more sincere counterpart is a decent straight. Jeff Chang fills his role nicely and he's endearing enough for you to pull for him, especially during the extended getting-drunk sequence. I appreciate his breakin' and his application of his drivers license to the various bouncers. Jeff Chang's dad (the scientist from Lost) provides a very scary ongoing threat throughout the film. Nicole looks a little long-in-the-tooth for a college student (which makes sense she's 30), but she's appealing as the lead dick's girlfriend who befriends Jeff Chang in his time of need. The Tower of Power sequence is engaging and more than a little reminiscent of the comedy force Beerfest. In my theater, there were about 20 guys, no girls, but they were all laughing fairly hard, if that's at all helpful. Expand
  23. Mar 6, 2013
    In the United States, when a person turns 21, that time is usually land-marked with instances filled with excitement thanks to the upcoming adventures of maturing, independence, self-discovery and of course…you know what, all crap aside, its the day to just get stupid drunk and act a fool like its nobody’s business. Like anybody planning to sleep in a catharsis of vomit and food consumedIn the United States, when a person turns 21, that time is usually land-marked with instances filled with excitement thanks to the upcoming adventures of maturing, independence, self-discovery and of course…you know what, all crap aside, its the day to just get stupid drunk and act a fool like its nobody’s business. Like anybody planning to sleep in a catharsis of vomit and food consumed from the afternoon, 21 Over is a raunchy, absurd, highly energetic and overly confident comedy that unapologetically assaults its audience members with inappropriateness from beginning to end.

On the day of Jeff Chang’s (Justin Chon) 21st birthday, his old friends Casey (Skylar Astin) and Miller (Miles Teller) show up to his residence on campus. Adamant to get him drunk despite a very important medical meeting the next morning that Dr. Chang (François Chau) had arranged, Casey and Miller convince Jeff Chang to go out and party. What starts off with just a few drinks and a bit of misdirection turns out to be a rip-roaring journey into the dark corners of Jeff Chang’s college campus.

Where 21 Over succeeds and other movies like it fail is in the underlying themes and chemistry. In so many coming of age stories, most notably Project X last year, the friendships that were tested were not tested on the basis of any change. Oh sure, a house was destroyed and a neighbourhood was in complete chaos, but what did it matter to the protagonists? In 21 Over, each one of the three friends are facing the biggest issues of their lives, growing up. Often longer for some people, sometimes a lot quicker and at times unknowingly to others, the theme of growing up is the quintessential magic formula for coming of age romp-comedies. Just look at one of the best comedies of the last decade Wedding Crashers and how that theme was explored with over-sized children as adults. The chemistry in 21 Over is spot-on. Miles Teller is reminiscent of a young Vince Vaughan and his wildly fast-talking antics drives most of the ridiculous comedy forward with ease. Skylar Astin much like his previous role in Pitch Perfect, serves as a worthy counterpart to Teller and the eye candy for female audience members to flock to theatres. If there is one thing that makes me mad about 21 Over and the previous writing efforts of the comedic writing duo Jon Lucas and Scott Moore is how simple their script ideas are yet how well done their narratives and plot points are. Penning the first two Hangover films, it angers me to think how simple the premise for all their hits were and why I couldn’t think of it myself. It seems like the writing duo have a knack for exploiting the obvious yet unexplored on film, adding a lot of fun in the mix.

21 Over is an outrageously fun time at the movies. Although the film may not be for everyone, 21 Over is a flashback of so many times when the images on screen are so reminiscent of some of the stupid things that may have happened to you, at one point or another. Don’t deny it, just laugh and enjoy the ride. Just like what Jeff Chang’s yells at the bouncer before getting in, “21…blackjack motherf@&$er!”. Its not denying that 21 Over is definitely a sloppy winner!
  24. Mar 3, 2013
    I don't even..my brain does not understand the immense stupidity and Idiocy in this movie. This will only appeal to the average 15 18 year old moron who thinks life is about partying and how taking responsibility is for losers. Please for the sake of keeping your IQ at a decent level, do not watch this!

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Mar 6, 2013
    Lucas and Moore aren’t savvy enough, or brave enough, to truly plumb the gallows humor embedded in their premise.
  2. Reviewed by: Joshua Rothkopf
    Mar 2, 2013
    Neither as subversively fun as last year’s megadestructive "Project X," nor as creative as "The Hangover" (on which these codirectors broke through as screenwriters), this further installment in the millennials-acting-badly genre serves as a distinctly average placeholder.
  3. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Mar 2, 2013
    In the end, 21 and Over is more exhausting — and exhausted — than funny or wild.