7.9

1. Jun 23, 2014
    My honest opinion was that the film is generically funny at times, but overall to raunchy for my tastes. I support vulgar comedy but when used poorly, it sounds like somebody constantly talking out of their ass. The juxtaposition of Hill and Tatum is its only saving grace, and Ice Cube. Otherwise I could have been off well without this movie made.
  2. Jan 15, 2014
    Wasn't impressed.
    The movie has its nice moments. But overall it's mostly infantile humor and silly and unconvincing storyline didn't do it for me.
    For a good silly film watch any mel brooks movie.
  3. Jul 29, 2012
    I really didn't see much in 21 Jump Street from the ads so I didn't go see it in theaters. Even when family rented it from redbox I still wasn't interested in watching it. It took my girlfriend to ask me to watch it with her and to pick it up to get it because her sister told her it was hilarious. Well we watched through it and I can say my thoughts on it were to be true that it was justI really didn't see much in 21 Jump Street from the ads so I didn't go see it in theaters. Even when family rented it from redbox I still wasn't interested in watching it. It took my girlfriend to ask me to watch it with her and to pick it up to get it because her sister told her it was hilarious. Well we watched through it and I can say my thoughts on it were to be true that it was just another comedy to be released for the summer. Expand
  4. Jun 4, 2012
    Not a complete waste of downtime, but you don't have to look hard to find funnier stuff on television. I think they said it all early in the film when Captain Ice Cube tells everybody to "Embrace their stereotypes". Once you accept that as the measure of the film's wisdom then you can pretty much coast through the rest of it with the appropriate level of expectation. If you're bored andNot a complete waste of downtime, but you don't have to look hard to find funnier stuff on television. I think they said it all early in the film when Captain Ice Cube tells everybody to "Embrace their stereotypes". Once you accept that as the measure of the film's wisdom then you can pretty much coast through the rest of it with the appropriate level of expectation. If you're bored and don't feel like focusing too hard, you can watch this while surfing the web and not miss a single plot point or laugh. Expand
  5. May 18, 2012
    21 Jump Street: Awful pacing, unfunny dialog, cliché-ridden film that fails to stand out with anything original.

It's barely even a movie, the strung together scenes with obvious and weak dialog felt like a male version of Never Been Kissed (1999) even The Legend Of Ron Burgundy, a movie pieced together from the outtakes and deleted scenes of Anchorman, stuck together make a better and more coherent film that this did, and that's actually funny.
  6. Mar 16, 2012
    Perhaps too sketchy, and even more satirical, "21 Jump Street" is a bro-comedy that, despite its leads' efforts, loiters in its own mocking pool; it soaks up some pop-culture residual, expells it with self-mimickry, and simpers back at the audience for having taken a swim in it. Though Hill and Tatum offer moments of begetting 80's nostalgia, as well as a vaguely remembered muck of aPerhaps too sketchy, and even more satirical, "21 Jump Street" is a bro-comedy that, despite its leads' efforts, loiters in its own mocking pool; it soaks up some pop-culture residual, expells it with self-mimickry, and simpers back at the audience for having taken a swim in it. Though Hill and Tatum offer moments of begetting 80's nostalgia, as well as a vaguely remembered muck of a TV-show--laden with car chases, well-worn high school scenarios (awkward proms, dopey faculty and staff, etc.) and predictable, slipshod dialogue and one-liners--the film resorts to much of the same, though out of parody, and its blatant, self-fulfilling, mocking cynicism becomes increasingly intolerant as it progresses. Moreover, the subject inevitably ends with recycled debris left over from, where else, the the "80's." Directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller (the animated "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs"), "21 Jump Street," is not all foolheaded bufoonery. A slimmer Hill (playing Schmidt) is funny as ever, reprising his usual rambling, neurotically-charged, verbose self, sticking to his "Superbad" character. Though, even more entertaining, not to mention surprising, is Tatum, who, unlike his usual unsupply, numb and ligneous expression and acting ability ("Step-Up," "Fighting," "G.I.Joe: Rise of the Cobra," "Dear John," "The Vow," etc.) he feels loose and unrestrained, and even comfortable as his character, Jenko. Towards the end, though, the film ultimately looses any effect it initially had to reel viewers in with, especially during the police training sequences, and, with the interpolation of all too-familiar, genre-specific penile and homosexual references, as well as a 8-10 minute preview of "Project X," featuring a chaotic teen party, thanks to screenwriter Michael Baccall (who also worked on 'X'), and a hackneyed prom night-meets-gun-fight close, "21 Jump Street" is the raunchy, filth-filled refuse that many, if not all of the Youtube-generation and reality-TV aficionados alike, will be applauding and praising for months to come. Then, one day once the dust has settled, and the diapers have been changed, will be relived again, only this time on 'F-X' reruns and 'TBS' "Dinner-and-a-Movies." It's funny, just not, "that" funny. Call me when grown men flirting with under-age high school adolescents is hilarious...wait....this world is getting there. Expand
  7. Jul 24, 2012
    Why is the movie good? Because it doesn't take itself seriously. People who took it seriously, like nautico the hard marine, have no sense of humor. Anyway, I give this movie a 6, and nautico a 10 out of 10 in "boring".
  8. Mar 17, 2012
    Hill and Tatum have excellent chemistry - would love to see them in a Lethal-Weapon-like sequel. And the teachers, Ice Cube, and Hill's love interest are all funny as hell. The self-aware jokes and humility in the script give it an endearing sweetness. It just seemed like the action sequences toward the middle and end of the film ran long - I found myself getting a hair bored at times.Hill and Tatum have excellent chemistry - would love to see them in a Lethal-Weapon-like sequel. And the teachers, Ice Cube, and Hill's love interest are all funny as hell. The self-aware jokes and humility in the script give it an endearing sweetness. It just seemed like the action sequences toward the middle and end of the film ran long - I found myself getting a hair bored at times. If they trimmed maybe 15 minutes of the fat, it would have been stronger. And lest I forget, little brother Franco has a real future in the biz. Expand
  9. Apr 3, 2012
    It was an ok movie it had a few funny points but not a lot. The plot was ridiculous, and the movies was filled with stupid cliches that weren't even funny. Do not recommend.
  10. Apr 26, 2012
    21 Jump Street is hilarious. I found it very entertaining but it's not really special for me, well it's offer many good laughs. Johny Depp's cameo was pretty unpredictable, and it has pretty cool music too. Miss high school?
  11. Mar 31, 2013
    I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It's not really my sort of film, so it took a while to grow on me, but once it did there were some good laughs and a clever cameo or two. Jonah Hill does his thing and Channing Tatum is surprisingly quite good too. Nick Offerman and Brie Larson bring a bit of spark to their roles also. In the end it's all a bit predictable, but enjoyable enough.
  12. Mar 25, 2012
    The reason I liked this movie was because it wasn't afraid to make fun of itself and other "teen" movie stereotypes along the way. It wasn't outrageously funny, but it wasn't dull either. It kept a nice lighthearted pace with some belly laughs in between. If I had laughed more, I would have gone up in my rating, but it's a solid movie that is worth seeing.
  13. Nov 2, 2013
    Could've been a lot worse but a surprisingly fun time with Hill and Tatum in this ridiculous buddy cop movie. Definitely not a comedy that you have to see or rent out, but its a decent one for a bored Friday night.
  14. Aug 25, 2012
    21 Jump Street is an over the top comedy with language like no other. Most of the time unnecessary Also there are characters that are flat ridiculous ( ice Cube). It has its funny moments but nothing that will knock your socks off. Just don't take it too seriously and you will should enjoy it.
  15. Apr 1, 2012
    Movie was OK. I found that it drags on at times and some of the jokes are pretty cheesy. But good acting all around. One thing I thought was kind of weird was how a guy 7 years out of high school would fall in love with a high school senior... yeah... But it's still a decent movie with plenty of laughs if you're looking for a way to spend the afternoon or evening.
  16. May 30, 2013
    Fun movie, don't go in to it looking for anything too serious. Gave it a 6 due to the excessive swearing, which wasn't really needed. The R Rating is definitely earned.
  17. b3_
    Jul 15, 2012
    This was your average comedy movie. Funny idea and a ridiculous execution made this film entertaining with enough laughs, yet it was predictable plot wise and very forgettable. For once I actually didn't mind Channing as an actor and was able to enjoy the movie without thinking how i disliked him. If you don't expect too much from this film and are prepared to laugh and not take thingsThis was your average comedy movie. Funny idea and a ridiculous execution made this film entertaining with enough laughs, yet it was predictable plot wise and very forgettable. For once I actually didn't mind Channing as an actor and was able to enjoy the movie without thinking how i disliked him. If you don't expect too much from this film and are prepared to laugh and not take things seriously you can easily enjoy this film with friends and family. Expand
  18. Jul 21, 2012
    How this movie can score so highly on both critics and users is beyond me, (sherlock holmes 2 anyone?) I admit i was a fan of the eighties original, but understand this was remade as a comedy and came in with zero expectations. It starts off ok, all bright and breezy and quite funny, but then it just runs out of ideas and more crucially, jokes. The two leads are likeable and do a good job,How this movie can score so highly on both critics and users is beyond me, (sherlock holmes 2 anyone?) I admit i was a fan of the eighties original, but understand this was remade as a comedy and came in with zero expectations. It starts off ok, all bright and breezy and quite funny, but then it just runs out of ideas and more crucially, jokes. The two leads are likeable and do a good job, infact the whole movie is ok, but thats the point, its just ok, not really bad, but not particularly good either, even the main two guys who cameo from the original just feel wedged in without any thought or originality (or even funny). All in all, not a bad film but surely one of the most overrated films of the year. Expand
  19. Dec 22, 2012
    There are some funny jokes (like main character an Eminem-wannabe or making fun of hipsters) and one cool easter egg. But overall the movie is average.
  20. Nov 5, 2012
    Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum have perfect comedic chemistry. Jump Street is flat out funny from start to finish. It just makes a good buddy movie, you know?
  21. Rem
    Jun 4, 2014
    At first I believed Channing Tatum could not deliver on the comedic side, but after seeing 21 Jump Street, I am convinced otherwise. But this however does not save for the fact that it does not stray too far from the original, and it loses value due to some flat jokes and a lame plotline. Generic, but surely watchable come a few laughs.
  22. Dec 12, 2013
    Like an off-the-hook blend of Breaking Bad and Superbad, 21 Jump Street delivers a combination of action and hilarity, but it doesn't do it in a very memorable way.
  23. Sep 3, 2014
    A surprisingly dynamic duo--Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are great together. 21 Jump Street is a fun take on undercover work in the police force. Occasionally heavy on profanity, but in this case, it often works.
  24. Aug 3, 2014
    Cussing is not a substitute for emoting. I've never heard anyone actually talk like the people in this movie. It's like they think they can manually inject some emotion into their shattered souls with profanity. If you want to watch stupid kids be stupid kids for two hours, go see this movie. Be prepared for a sprinkling of nightmarish images that are played off as jokes. It's allCussing is not a substitute for emoting. I've never heard anyone actually talk like the people in this movie. It's like they think they can manually inject some emotion into their shattered souls with profanity. If you want to watch stupid kids be stupid kids for two hours, go see this movie. Be prepared for a sprinkling of nightmarish images that are played off as jokes. It's all right, you're an expert at repressing that stuff. They got a script written by someone who didn't know what they wanted to say, and a group of people who don't care about acting or film, but are just dishonest enough to pretend like they do. The one ray of hope, I guess, is the nerd crowd, but they got precious little screen time, and, if they had gotten more, it probably would have just been to show them 'loosening up' and doing something horrible, thereby gaining acceptance so we can all sing coombaya and realize we're not so different after all. I can say the editing was good, and there were one or two actual laughs from me, but I wish I hadn't watched it Expand
  25. Nov 24, 2014
    I don't know how I was dragged into watching this movie, perhaps I thought it was going to pass off as an acceptable one. Since my first run-through, I have not had any intention of returning to it. Partially funny, when it's not forced, and even then, no more then a chuckle. It's dull humor at it's finest, and thus I can see why it would appeal to the masses. Unfortunately, I would walkI don't know how I was dragged into watching this movie, perhaps I thought it was going to pass off as an acceptable one. Since my first run-through, I have not had any intention of returning to it. Partially funny, when it's not forced, and even then, no more then a chuckle. It's dull humor at it's finest, and thus I can see why it would appeal to the masses. Unfortunately, I would walk away from my TV set if it came on. With the promise of not returning for it's sequel. Expand
  26. Dec 23, 2014
    It's a well made comedy with an easy, non-forceful pace, and it has two guys who do good together. It is a good film, but the comedy is where it surprisingly struggles at.

1. Reviewed by: Andrew Lapin
    Mar 19, 2012
    The devil-may-care attitude is what makes 21 Jump Street so entertaining.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Mar 18, 2012
    Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs) seem to be after the gentle irreverence of David Gordon Green's buddy flick "Pineapple Express," but without his sensitivity and attention to character the movie quickly grows monotonous.
  3. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Mar 16, 2012
    With Hill on co-scripting duties with Scott Pilgrim scribe Michael Bacall, 21 Jump Street was always going to live or die by its gags. Fortunately, it boasts that sweet-yet-dirty comedy that Hill revels in.