21 Jump Street

8.0

1. Jun 1, 2016
    Blown away! No expectations what so ever. I wasn't even born when the old series was out and this movie puts a flip on the old show. An includes a hilarious cameo!
  2. Apr 17, 2016
    21 Jump Street goes for a lot of laughs, and most of the gags hit their mark. The film satisfies as wish fulfillment; the chance to go to high school and gain acceptance from the in-crowd, and pass all the hard classes to feel smart. There's also an element of schadenfreude watching the once-popular Jenko--who was a jerk to Schmidt--get his comeuppance as he lives as a social outcast,21 Jump Street goes for a lot of laughs, and most of the gags hit their mark. The film satisfies as wish fulfillment; the chance to go to high school and gain acceptance from the in-crowd, and pass all the hard classes to feel smart. There's also an element of schadenfreude watching the once-popular Jenko--who was a jerk to Schmidt--get his comeuppance as he lives as a social outcast, while Schmidt gets much of the glory in their detective work. Where 21 Jump Street stumbles is in its storytelling. A subplot about Jenko's flirty chemistry teacher doesn't pay off because it gets dropped midway through (the conclusion, and footage during the end credits suggest there's more to it). It should also be mentioned that the action sequences aren't exciting, and a fight scene is shot too close in that blasted Shaky-Cam that's making its rounds as of late. However, such considerations are in some ways moot. 21 Jump Street is a class clown of a movie, just trying to get a laugh. Expand
  3. Mar 26, 2016
  4. Mar 22, 2016
    The title 21 Jump Street probably means very little to most people under 30, particularly in Britain, where the 1980s Johnny Depp-starring cop show, in which patently adult police officers posed as teenagers to solve crime, never caught on in quite the way it did in America. Certainly it’s no cultural touchstone for ‘The Kids’, who make up much of the target audience for this. Honestly, itThe title 21 Jump Street probably means very little to most people under 30, particularly in Britain, where the 1980s Johnny Depp-starring cop show, in which patently adult police officers posed as teenagers to solve crime, never caught on in quite the way it did in America. Certainly it’s no cultural touchstone for ‘The Kids’, who make up much of the target audience for this. Honestly, it doesn’t really matter if you’ve never even heard the name before. Nostalgic familiarity is of very minor importance in enjoying a film that is often inspired, frequently insane and always very, very funny.

21 Jump Street is a very weird comedy. It’s sort of ‘Michel Gondry makes a high-school movie with Judd Apatow’ weird. That’s a good kind of weird, but it’s weird nevertheless. The story itself is perfectly normal: two very different cops (Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill) are sent undercover to bust a high-school drugs ring, which requires them to pretend to be teenagers and relive their school years, during which they hated each other. The comedy is abnormal. It covers very broad slapstick (people deliberately running over each other with cars), to nakedly meta (particularly a long speech in which a character complains about nobody doing anything original anymore, instead just recycling old stuff nobody remembers), to odd for the sake of odd (Korean Jesus). It throws jokes at the screen with such frenetic frequency that some inevitably won’t stick, but more than enough do, even ones that don’t make much in the way of actual sense. By the time you’ve realised that you’ve just laughed at a situation you don’t wholly understand it’s gone and you’re on to the next one.

Hill co-wrote with Michael Bacall (Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World) and they make some very astute choices in their depiction of high school. It’s not the typical 40-year-old’s view of school that we usually see in movies, where all the popular kids are jocks or cheerleaders, anyone who cares even remotely about anything is a nerd, and somewhere there’s a grouchy head teacher who has plenty of time to dedicate to busting just one kid. It’s far more intelligently observed than that. The cool kids (led by Dave Franco, who is smartly, gently emerging from his elder brother’s shadow, and the adorable Brie Larson) actually care about their future and don’t spend their time seeking people to bully. One of them is gay and nobody gives a damn. There’s a very small but brilliant moment where a character expresses dismay when someone phones her, because she “only ever texts” unless it’s her mother. The science kids are still seen as desperately sad, but then some things are just eternal.

While the laughs work in the majority of cases, it is quite scrappy in terms of story. This has the feel of a film that improvised for hours and then worked out later how to piece it all together. There are the vital story beats that it knows to hit, but in-between these it veers off in myriad directions, seemingly sometimes unsure itself of what this bit is about. When it goes somewhere funny that’s not an issue, but you do occasionally want to just give it a shove back onto the rails. It’s so antic that some scenes appear just a few moments and one more screaming argument away from tipping over into a mess, though thankfully it always pulls back just in time.

Of the leads, it’s surprising that it’s Tatum who stands out. He’s always been a capable actor but hasn’t really been the standout in anything since A Guide To Recognising Your Saints. This is quite possibly the performance of his career. He proves himself to be a skilled, loose comedian. His simple-minded character, who winds up posing as a science-brain through a very silly mix-up, is thoroughly charming and, possibly by accident, the real heart of the movie, as he realises he’s better than just the dumb jock. Hill is called upon to be more obnoxious as a guy getting a second chance at the popularity A-list after spending his teenage years as the permanent outsider. It’s something Hill knows how to do well — this role isn’t vastly removed from his turn in Superbad — though there is a stretch towards the end of the film where he becomes so self-important and unlikable that it pretty much kills the comedy. The Hill and Tatum double act is one that has many reasons why it shouldn’t work, yet, like the film around them, it’s so inherently mismatched that its oddness becomes its greatest asset.

21 Jump Street has that Anchorman experimental-chaos vibe, with all the hit-and-miss moments that implies. It’s completely lunatic and sort of a mess. It’s also the funniest high-school comedy to come out of Hollywood in ages.
  5. Feb 23, 2016
    For 3/4 of this movie, I was truly shocked this was as funny as it was and 21 Jump Street is absolutely hysterical. But, it ruins it with the ending, in particular the part with Rob Riggle. The movie just could not help itself. That being said, this rest is very good, but that ending...oh my. Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, and Brie Larson, are fantastic and Hill and Tatum have a greatFor 3/4 of this movie, I was truly shocked this was as funny as it was and 21 Jump Street is absolutely hysterical. But, it ruins it with the ending, in particular the part with Rob Riggle. The movie just could not help itself. That being said, this rest is very good, but that ending...oh my. Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, and Brie Larson, are fantastic and Hill and Tatum have a great chemistry with one another. The film flows really well and is a great modern teen comedy blended with classic tropes of the genre. Additionally, I loved the unexpected cameo towards the end of the film from another undercover duo. It was super unexpected and hilarious. Honestly, the whole movie is quite well-written and well-directed, which I was not expecting at all. While fun and incredibly entertaining, 21 Jump Street manages to be a film that is somewhat mature throughout, but shoots itself in the crotch at the very end. Expand
  6. Feb 21, 2016
    21 Jump Street is jumping to get insanely mad. It's not 20 anymore, it's 21 (please no 9 + 10 jokes). You're going to love 21 Jump Street hard as you wanted to love it.
  7. Jan 24, 2016
    It's the worse version of The Departed, and the lack of ''My name is Jeff'' was also disappointing.
    All in all a terrible movie, with garbage cameo's and pathetic humor
  8. Aug 30, 2015
    "21 Jump Street" is a delightful joy as the unusually strong pair-up between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum will make you jump up and down and roll on the floor with laughter.
  9. Jul 2, 2015
    A really solid and smart comedy. The "action" scenes are goofy without being too over the top. The jokes and fish-out-of-water stuff works well. Unlike most movies I end up seeing (sci-fi or crime stuff), I could generally say that most people should see this to unwind.
  10. Jun 28, 2015
    Total surprise what a fun time this movie is. I was honestly going to just wait to rent it but I heard good things and was so glad I changed my mind and saw it in theaters
  11. Jun 3, 2015
    21 Jump Street succeeds because it is very funny and the chemistry between the two stars (Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill) is great. Ice Cube delivers a hilarious performance as their police superior and it is all very fun. Would recommend.
  12. Feb 27, 2015
    It is an interesting movie. Even I have not shaved for a while in a comedy film. I think it's one of the best films. I recommend it.******************
  13. Feb 11, 2015
    A worth watching movie. I mean Comedy is superb and action is cool as well. I bet you will not get bored from begining till end watching this movie. Overall I give it 9/10.
  14. Dec 23, 2014
    It's a well made comedy with an easy, non-forceful pace, and it has two guys who do good together. It is a good film, but the comedy is where it surprisingly struggles at.
  15. Dec 11, 2014
    Interesting premise and a hilarious effort from both Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill. These two definitely have a great on-screen chemistry as partners-in-crime/bros. Ridiculous and silly, this movie is worth a watch for some good laughs and entertainment.
  16. Nov 24, 2014
    I don't know how I was dragged into watching this movie, perhaps I thought it was going to pass off as an acceptable one. Since my first run-through, I have not had any intention of returning to it. Partially funny, when it's not forced, and even then, no more then a chuckle. It's dull humor at it's finest, and thus I can see why it would appeal to the masses. Unfortunately, I would walkI don't know how I was dragged into watching this movie, perhaps I thought it was going to pass off as an acceptable one. Since my first run-through, I have not had any intention of returning to it. Partially funny, when it's not forced, and even then, no more then a chuckle. It's dull humor at it's finest, and thus I can see why it would appeal to the masses. Unfortunately, I would walk away from my TV set if it came on. With the promise of not returning for it's sequel. Expand
  17. Nov 22, 2014
    21 Jump Street just seemed to surprise when it was released. No one expected a film based on an average (at best) television series could ever be converted into a hilarious film. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum made themselves mega stars in a risk well worth taking. 21 Jump Street is one of the best comedy movies that have been released in the past decade.
  18. Oct 22, 2014
    Schmidt and Jenko are more than ready to leave their adolescent problems behind. Joining the police force and the secret Jump Street unit, they use their youthful appearances to go undercover in a local high school. As they trade in their guns and badges for backpacks, Schmidt and Jenko risk their lives to investigate a violent and dangerous drug ring. But they find that high school isSchmidt and Jenko are more than ready to leave their adolescent problems behind. Joining the police force and the secret Jump Street unit, they use their youthful appearances to go undercover in a local high school. As they trade in their guns and badges for backpacks, Schmidt and Jenko risk their lives to investigate a violent and dangerous drug ring. But they find that high school is nothing like they left it just a few years earlier ­and neither expects that they will have to confront the terror and anxiety of being a teenager again and all the issues they thought they had left behind. Expand
  19. Oct 20, 2014
    I just watched this on iTunes, tricked into believing that it was a good movie by the Tomatometer, its Average Rating and the good Metacritic score... and I have once again lost faith in all of these aggregate ratings. There were a few good jokes in this movie, but that's really the only positive thing I can think of. The movie is largely predictable, and when it's not that's only becauseI just watched this on iTunes, tricked into believing that it was a good movie by the Tomatometer, its Average Rating and the good Metacritic score... and I have once again lost faith in all of these aggregate ratings. There were a few good jokes in this movie, but that's really the only positive thing I can think of. The movie is largely predictable, and when it's not that's only because of a) a ridiculously unbelievable turn of events, or b) a huge plot hole. The writing is just plain stupid and infantile. Unfortunately the acting is bad too - with Brie Larson as Molly being the _only_ exception, but she hardly gets any screen time.

All in all this is a dumb, unfunny, superfluous film. Don't believe any of the 8/9/10 ratings.
  20. Oct 18, 2014
    Un claro ejemplo de película americana que no hace ninguna gracia. Solo funcionan algunas escenas puntuales de Jonah Hill, el resto es una basura. Tatum nunca es gracioso (los guapos nunca hacen gracia, es así), la trama es aburrida, Ice Cube está exagerado y cansa, el final es absurdo.
    Un 7,6... ¿quién vota aquí?
  21. Oct 13, 2014
    Pick a generic and overused context and bring it with a different and modern view is something meritorious and hard-worked, 21 Jump Street is fun without being immature or appealing, with a nice story and a great cast combination, it enjoyed me by the first begining to the last ending, an easy 80/100.
  22. Oct 3, 2014
    " Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are the kings of comedy". This is an outraging comedy with full of laughter that Hill and Tatum has provided for us " 21 jump street fans". Its very funny to be honest , with loud music + good laughter = Having the best time of your life watching this film. Grade A , ( hill and tatum are perfect with out directors phil lord and christopher miller ).
  23. Sep 29, 2014
    At the first begining my impressions wore totally negative, just more one high school movie full of clichés, but as it went straight to the point it suprised me, how Chris Miller was able to choose a so generic subject about high school and police but produce a great and different comedy from it. There's some kind of forced comedy in it, but that's ok, another great work from Chris Miller.
  24. Sep 16, 2014
    Buenísima !!. Una película para reír, nada serio pero se lleva un par de puntos por romper con lo clásico visto en escuelas, el enfoque New Age de los estudiantes esta muy bueno !
  25. Sep 3, 2014
    A surprisingly dynamic duo--Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are great together. 21 Jump Street is a fun take on undercover work in the police force. Occasionally heavy on profanity, but in this case, it often works.
  26. Aug 12, 2014
    This movie is probably one of the funniest i have ever seen.The jokes are stupid and there is a lot of action,If you don't like this it's probably because you don't have any sense of humour.The only bad thing about 21 jump street is the plot,he's too predictable.
  27. Aug 11, 2014
    I loved this movie. It took me a long time to see it because it just looked like another generic buddy-cop comedy and I couldnt be bothered but after being pressured to see (and trust me I had loooooow expectations) it I found myself really enjoying it. It was smart and funny and all acting was top notch. Give it a watch, you might be pleasantly surprised.
  28. Aug 5, 2014
    I actually wanted to see 22 Jump Street but after reading it was a sequel I went and watched this instead. It was a complete waste of my time, humor is immature and pathetic and acting is bad. At least I know not to waste my time on the sequel.
  29. Aug 3, 2014
    Cussing is not a substitute for emoting. I've never heard anyone actually talk like the people in this movie. It's like they think they can manually inject some emotion into their shattered souls with profanity. If you want to watch stupid kids be stupid kids for two hours, go see this movie. Be prepared for a sprinkling of nightmarish images that are played off as jokes. It's allCussing is not a substitute for emoting. I've never heard anyone actually talk like the people in this movie. It's like they think they can manually inject some emotion into their shattered souls with profanity. If you want to watch stupid kids be stupid kids for two hours, go see this movie. Be prepared for a sprinkling of nightmarish images that are played off as jokes. It's all right, you're an expert at repressing that stuff. They got a script written by someone who didn't know what they wanted to say, and a group of people who don't care about acting or film, but are just dishonest enough to pretend like they do. The one ray of hope, I guess, is the nerd crowd, but they got precious little screen time, and, if they had gotten more, it probably would have just been to show them 'loosening up' and doing something horrible, thereby gaining acceptance so we can all sing coombaya and realize we're not so different after all. I can say the editing was good, and there were one or two actual laughs from me, but I wish I hadn't watched it Expand
  30. Jun 23, 2014
    My honest opinion was that the film is generically funny at times, but overall to raunchy for my tastes. I support vulgar comedy but when used poorly, it sounds like somebody constantly talking out of their ass. The juxtaposition of Hill and Tatum is its only saving grace, and Ice Cube. Otherwise I could have been off well without this movie made.

1. Reviewed by: Andrew Lapin
    Mar 19, 2012
    The devil-may-care attitude is what makes 21 Jump Street so entertaining.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Mar 18, 2012
    Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs) seem to be after the gentle irreverence of David Gordon Green's buddy flick "Pineapple Express," but without his sensitivity and attention to character the movie quickly grows monotonous.
  3. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Mar 16, 2012
    With Hill on co-scripting duties with Scott Pilgrim scribe Michael Bacall, 21 Jump Street was always going to live or die by its gags. Fortunately, it boasts that sweet-yet-dirty comedy that Hill revels in.