7.6

1. Apr 20, 2013
    In a time where remakes and long time are becoming more and more of a expectation, 21 Jump Street delivers a surprisingly fresh and hilarious take on the TV show of the same name, and contrary to popular belief, this is in fact a sequel to the show, continuing with the same arc.
    Jonah Hill is on fine form as Morton Schmidt, a cop who, as a teen, was an Eminem wannabe (this is an hilarious
    opening to the film) in school who never became popular.
    Channing Tatum, really proving his brass as a comedy actor, is the opposite as Greg Jenko, the college 'jock' who gets what and who he wants when he pleases.
    This of course forms an unlikely pairing in their later years as law enforcers, now best friends, they happen across what could be the biggest bust of their careers but mess it up, and are transferred a the newly revived division, based of course at 21 Jump Street.
    As they are tasked with infiltrating high school all over again, they notice just how much the place has changed since they were there, and it seems their roles in school may now change, setting up the rest of the film as the two officers attempt to infiltrate and break up a youth drug ring within the school.
    Jump Street will play on the most basic and instinctive of emotions, profanity laced humour, and there is certainly no shortage in this film. Jonah Hill is certainly in the drivers seat with many of these jokes, borrowing similar scenarios from his previous films but hey, if its not broke, don't fix it.
    Channing Tatum was the surprising highlight of this film, is skills at coming across as simple and his countless attempts to come across as cool in his new role as a student all over again make for pretty funny watching.
    The plot itself does come up a little too simplistic, and there is of course plenty of over the top drama, but its all enjoyable fun at the end of the day. The film is never short on talent, with unforgettable cameos from the original TV show stars Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise, and even the other cast members including Dave Franco, the brilliantly funny Rob Riggle and a truly hysterical Ice Cube, there is certainly many aspects of this film that make it an excellent sequel/revival of the TV show and one of the best comedies of the year.
  2. Mar 31, 2013
    I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It's not really my sort of film, so it took a while to grow on me, but once it did there were some good laughs and a clever cameo or two. Jonah Hill does his thing and Channing Tatum is surprisingly quite good too. Nick Offerman and Brie Larson bring a bit of spark to their roles also. In the end it's all a bit predictable, but enjoyable enough.
  3. Mar 3, 2013
    I personally loved this movie and you should too. It was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen if not the BEST movie. Although i will say the end is a bit gross but still funny and one heck of a great movie!
  4. Feb 9, 2013
    To tell you all the truth I've never even heard of the television show before of this movie and to tell you all the truth I don't really care about that, because my lack of knowledge never hindered my enjoyment of this movie one bit. This is a weird comedy in the sense that there are so many jokes, ranging from slapstick to stupidly weird, that obviously some don't work but a lot actually do. You'll find yourself laughing at things that don't actually make much sense but they're funny all the same. The depiction of high school is also very different...that is actually intelligent. Its not the same old high school with the same stereotypes this one actually makes sense. Even though the comedy is first class, the plot is a bit of a mess. Its not bad but it gets distracted on a number of occasions. The leads are also weird they are so mismatched that they actually work....Tantum gives a great performance and Hill is in his environment but its the relationship that shines. Expand
  5. Feb 7, 2013
    Don't listen to what other people are saying that you need to be brain dead or fourteen years old in junior high to enjoy this movie. This movie is simply for people that enjoy raunchy jokes or for people that have a sense of humour that disturbs others in the non-violent sense. What jokes you may ask? The kind that centre around awkward sexual themes, faeces, hipsters you hate, drugs and other jokes that shouldn't be said at the table. For what it's worth, I rarely laugh out loud to"normal jokes" as they just don't cut it...this movie actually made my movie experience a "laughing in my seat spilling pop-corn" instead of "walking outside of the theatre thinking about the CGI scenes and how the script was not believable for a movie that tried coming across as real". Watch it with your friends and have some food. Expand
  6. Feb 7, 2013
    I was really surprised at just how good this movie was. While it isn't anything we haven't seen before, it also adds something fresh to a very tired genre. Tatum is surprisingly good at comedy?! Who'd have thought?! Overall: A very good comedy that is well worth watching, even if you think it isn't for you.
  7. Feb 2, 2013
    From a teen perspective who i'm sure the film is targeted towards i found this film both entertaining and hilarious. I deem it the perfect 'friends night in' film, if your friends, like mine, enjoy a mix of 'laugh out loud' humour and an interesting, at times immature (but still very real) narrative. I don't like seeing that both users and critics have slated this film. This film never claims to try to be a serious film in the slightest so don't take it as one. Whilst the film doesn't offer seriousness, it offers great humour, good story line and good acting. Go watch it. Expand
  8. Jan 5, 2013
    2 THUMBS UP! It's actually a funny, badass movie. Ridiculous and over the top, silly fun. Channing and Jonah has a great chemistry together in this movie. A hilarious, addicting movie, haven't laugh that much before. It's a great, great, great movie!
  9. Dec 22, 2012
    There are some funny jokes (like main character an Eminem-wannabe or making fun of hipsters) and one cool easter egg. But overall the movie is average.
  10. Dec 5, 2012
    Hilarious film. Jonah Hill and Ice Cube are both good here, as is Channing Tatum who is having a great year. Sure to be one of the best comedies of 2012.
  11. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was absolutely hilarious. More than just cheap laughs though, the movie was very unique. I know, "How can it be unique if it's a rip-off of an 80's show?" Well, outside the movie title and a cameo appearance in the end, this movie feels nothing at all like the Johnny Depp show from way back when. From the plot to the character dynamic to clever mocking of stereotypes (not just individual persons but pop culture as well), this movie is a fun watch. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are both outstanding as well. Tatum gets a lot of hate for his "lack of acting chops" but I think he has continued to improve with each role. Overall, it wasn't the funniest movie from beginning to end but it's definitely an entertaining movie that's going to deliver tons of laughs. Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2012
    Almost unendingly hilarious, "21 Jump Street" is that strange kind of worthwhile comedy that presents a healthy dose of satire and nostalgia.
  13. Nov 23, 2012
    I was very disappointed by this movie. It has some funny parts, but nothing hysterical. I always give movies their full length to impress me, but this just got worse and worse and worse and worse. The characters are very unrealistic and the story even more. I do not recommend this to anyone. Why this movie received four-stars I will never understand. Again, don't waste your time on the ridiculously, dull, predictable movie. Expand
  14. Nov 21, 2012
    The guys in the movie are not funny, are only really stupid !!! So, all these make the movie a stupid movie.
    I wonder how come a junk movie like this one can get such good reviews !?!?!?!
  15. Nov 5, 2012
    Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum have perfect comedic chemistry. Jump Street is flat out funny from start to finish. It just makes a good buddy movie, you know?
  16. Oct 12, 2012
    Please make a plan with your friends to go see this movie. Your friends and you will spend watching this great movie! Is great! Not only because of the funny moments, but it is original and fun!
  17. Sep 9, 2012
    The comedy is definitely something you wouldn't want your young son or daughter to see considering all of the vulgar and explicit language. But in today's time, that language is what makes comedies sell. The producers related the situations to high schools very well. Not only do high schools have drugs going around, there are kids picking on other kids, and the typical stero typed groups, which the producers incorporated in the movie .to make it more relatable. I believe the movie was well written, had the right actors, and was over all a good laugh. Expand
  18. Sep 3, 2012
    Wow! This movie was pretty bad.... it did contain some funny parts but not a lot. The cute one/the tall one did a GREAT job on acting, but everything else stunk!
  19. Aug 28, 2012
    This film was a genuine surprise, proved to be better than I expected. Jonah Hill proved himself to be a great actor and a good screenplay writer once again. Watching Channing Tatum doing comedy was great, I liked the performances by both of them. Moving on to the film, there were a few boring scenes, I agree but there were some hilarious ones as well. The plot of the film was good, something different and enjoyable and the use of bizarre graphics made it look more ridiculous. Thumbs up to Chris Miller and Phil Lord for making a good, funny film that I can watch again and laugh like I am watching it for the first time. Expand
  20. Aug 27, 2012
    Really funny movie with some outrageous moments. Two opposite characters and actors worked quite well together. It is nothing serious. It is just a silly movie that leaves you with a lot of laughs.
  21. Aug 25, 2012
    21 Jump Street is an over the top comedy with language like no other. Most of the time unnecessary Also there are characters that are flat ridiculous ( ice Cube). It has its funny moments but nothing that will knock your socks off. Just don't take it too seriously and you will should enjoy it.
  22. Aug 21, 2012
    Funny as HE$$. Loved it. Jonah Hill is here to stay!! The slim shady reference at the beginning is funny so pay attention. The ending was a bit too action-packed for me, but I guess it was necessary for this franchise (i.e., 21 Jump Street).
  23. Aug 18, 2012
    To quote a character from this film: 'We're reviving a canceled undercover project from the '80s and revamping it for modern times. The people behind this lack creativity and they've run out of ideas, so what they do now is just recycle **** from the past and hope that nobody will notice'. That's true for this film but actualy coz they poke fun at themselves and the classic buddy movie stereotypes and clichés it's actualy enjoyable and sometimes even funny. Yes, they also have some of those obligatory awkward scenes but not too many. Don't get me wrong, this is not a 'good' film like e.g. Hot Fuzz but as good as it gets for American comedies these days. Expand
  24. Aug 16, 2012
    I hate R rated debauchery with no redeeming value. So why did I go see this, because every once in a while a movie like 40 Year Old Virgin or The Hangover come along that make you thing good comedy can come form this genre. 21 Jump Street is not that movie. Stay away.
  25. Aug 10, 2012
    This film doesn't have any serious or strong messages and won't ever be mistaken for a major cinematic achievement, but it may just be the funniest movie I've seen in years, as I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
  26. Aug 6, 2012
    21 Jump Street, is a moving portrait of this generations attitudes. All the cheeky humor to nonchalantly fist pummeling students this movie was harshly humorous and in my perspective world wide correct.
  27. Aug 5, 2012
    Well made, ,,21 Jump Street'' is more like satire over the comedy movies and their cliche. Is not extremely funny, but does its job in a soft way, by simple jokes and goofs, just like the comedy genre had used to became, but still remains one of 2012 best comedies
  28. Jul 31, 2012
    The two leads are great, and the direction even greater. I love how the movie was self-aware of what it was while never taking you too out of the experience. 21 Jump Street isn't just one of the funniest movies of 2012, but a also a smart satire of the times, and one of the best buddy-cop movies I've ever seen.
  29. Jul 29, 2012
    I really didn't see much in 21 Jump Street from the ads so I didn't go see it in theaters. Even when family rented it from redbox I still wasn't interested in watching it. It took my girlfriend to ask me to watch it with her and to pick it up to get it because her sister told her it was hilarious. Well we watched through it and I can say my thoughts on it were to be true that it was just another comedy to be released for the summer. Expand
  30. Jul 27, 2012
    So far, the funniest movie of the year, and one of the best I have seen in a long time. Tatum gives a surprisingly genuine (that is the word, here) comedic performance and Hill is typically freakin' hilarious. There is a real sense of brotherhood (if based somewhat off of stupidity) captured between the two characters that is endlessly watchable and the banter between everyone in the film is deliciously hilarious. Ice Cube in particular deserves props for every word he speaks throughout. There is a quality of self-awareness that, without, the film would have not stayed afloat and the same kind of hyper-zany energy that Lord and Miller captured in their first animated feature translates even better to foul mouthed live action. An endlessly quotable action comedy by means of a raunchier 'The Other Guys' that I highly recommend. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Andrew Lapin
    Mar 19, 2012
    The devil-may-care attitude is what makes 21 Jump Street so entertaining.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Mar 18, 2012
    Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs) seem to be after the gentle irreverence of David Gordon Green's buddy flick "Pineapple Express," but without his sensitivity and attention to character the movie quickly grows monotonous.
  3. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Mar 16, 2012
    With Hill on co-scripting duties with Scott Pilgrim scribe Michael Bacall, 21 Jump Street was always going to live or die by its gags. Fortunately, it boasts that sweet-yet-dirty comedy that Hill revels in.