25th Hour

8.6

1. MichaelH.
    Aug 10, 2003
    When Baltimore defensive lineman Tony Siragusa is giving a leading role and then asked to speak in a thick Russian accent to boot....need I say more? Felt more like 48 hours, (actually that movie was better!)
  2. MicheleM.
    Jan 14, 2003
    I am completely mystified by the critics' adulation over this bogus sentimental journey into the heart of the Trade Center's collaspe. Edward Norton's character is not symbolic for Enron or the cancer & apathy that is plaging our nation. The screenplay hasn't the magnitude. Spike Lee's "spontaneous" banter between the white boyz that is supposed to read as loose I am completely mystified by the critics' adulation over this bogus sentimental journey into the heart of the Trade Center's collaspe. Edward Norton's character is not symbolic for Enron or the cancer & apathy that is plaging our nation. The screenplay hasn't the magnitude. Spike Lee's "spontaneous" banter between the white boyz that is supposed to read as loose is stilted. It's too bad that the critics (of many papers which I read) are all in a hurry to bring about somekind of manifistation, some thing that they can look at and say again, "Yeah that was horror". It's too bad that this college student with a film camera was the first to be in the line. Expand
  3. Nov 6, 2014
    With all the talent associated on this project I expected so much more. The central theme is apparent early on, but no real revelations or insights after first 15 minutes. Film ends up being a really slow movie with a desperate need for quality editing. The dialogue is self indulgent and irrelevant. Many of the scenes are often drawn out and quite honestly, pointless. The score is soWith all the talent associated on this project I expected so much more. The central theme is apparent early on, but no real revelations or insights after first 15 minutes. Film ends up being a really slow movie with a desperate need for quality editing. The dialogue is self indulgent and irrelevant. Many of the scenes are often drawn out and quite honestly, pointless. The score is so inappropriate it's almost laughable. This film seemed more like a student effort... And not a particularly gifted student at that. Skip it Expand
  4. JasonA.
    Jan 13, 2003
    My contact lenses dried up from falling asleep numerous times in the theater. Nuff said!
  5. BrianL.
    Mar 21, 2003
    Walk out after an hour, I couldn't stand the boredom any long, no depth to the characters, aimless direction. Do people in New York have such a limit vocabulary that the can say f**k more times than any other word?
  6. May 13, 2012
    Ed Norton was completely believable. However, the script was so incredibly sad. I don't want to watch a film about utter hopelessness. Fine for people who love tragedies. If you want to walk away not feeling suicidal, don't bother.
  7. Feb 25, 2012
    weird movie, about some criminal guy and his friends. Just another stupid movie that involves criminals going to jail and **** like that. I am not interested in this LOW LIFE ****
  8. MichaelF.
    Dec 20, 2002
    What a disappointment! A NOTHING movie! It tries to be a character piece, except there is ZERO character developtment, aside from what you get by just looking at the characters and guessing who they are. Solid acting, excellent cinematography. The music in this film, like many of Spike's films, is SO LOUD! The music is so loud and cheesy that it makes a bad and already cheesy, What a disappointment! A NOTHING movie! It tries to be a character piece, except there is ZERO character developtment, aside from what you get by just looking at the characters and guessing who they are. Solid acting, excellent cinematography. The music in this film, like many of Spike's films, is SO LOUD! The music is so loud and cheesy that it makes a bad and already cheesy, without the music, scene cheesier. I'm giving up on Spike, I got CLOCKERS (a masterpiece) Do The Right Thing and Malcolm X, that's it. Every other movie he does had the possibility of being great, but screws itself up in the end and becomes overlong and emotionless, like this. Expand
  9. May 22, 2014
    25th Hour is 2 hours long, but if you don`t fast forward it will feel like 25 hours.Allot of talk amongst friends, and people the main character knows. It`s a slow moving move with not much going on besides the thought of what is going to happen to the main character who will be going to jail. All his friends, and family talk about him like hes going to die. This is a backround movie to25th Hour is 2 hours long, but if you don`t fast forward it will feel like 25 hours.Allot of talk amongst friends, and people the main character knows. It`s a slow moving move with not much going on besides the thought of what is going to happen to the main character who will be going to jail. All his friends, and family talk about him like hes going to die. This is a backround movie to watch while you do something else. Expand
  10. Jun 11, 2016
    Despite the ensemble cast/crew, 25th Hour is an overwrought neo-noir that tries to build dramatic tension with intense music and stylized mood. The plot, characters and momentum are otherwise flat. The film attempts some kind of 9/11 requiem that feels mostly forced.

I really wanted to like this film. Lots of great names and critical acclaim. By the trailer it looked like a dud, though, and I should have trusted my instinct. For this viewer, the film felt about 25 hours long.

1. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    At its best, 25th Hour is a melancholy tone poem -- But the movie is also muddled by its own ambitions. There is simply no connection between the themes of Benioff's screenplay and 9/11, and every time Lee over-inflates the story, he loses its real pulse.
  2. Lee doesn't seem to have the slightest sympathy for his hero, no particular point is made, and the whole exercise seems cold and empty.
  3. Isn't Lee's most personal piece, but it may very well be his most mature.