8.3

1. JoshC
    Feb 3, 2007
    In the 25th hour, Mr. Lee exercises his prodigious visual talents with unusual restraint, and keeps some of his more confrontational urges in check. Because the movie is so measured, so melodic, its bursts of wild invention, which might otherwise be irritating, are electrifying. The ending, narrated by Mr. Cox, is as bittersweet and sincere an evocation of the American dream as I have In the 25th hour, Mr. Lee exercises his prodigious visual talents with unusual restraint, and keeps some of his more confrontational urges in check. Because the movie is so measured, so melodic, its bursts of wild invention, which might otherwise be irritating, are electrifying. The ending, narrated by Mr. Cox, is as bittersweet and sincere an evocation of the American dream as I have seen on film in quite some time, acknowledging both the futility of the collective national fantasy and its consoling, resilient power. Almost as touching is a moment when Monty, staring into a men's room mirror, launches into a profane tirade against his fellow New Yorkers (and everyone else). His rage is impressively ecumenical, encompassing blacks, brutal police officers, gays, Osama bin Laden, the rich, the poor and every other ethnic or social type you can think of: all of them put down with ruthless, scabrous precision. The rant recalls a famous sequence in ''Do the Right Thing'' and also Eminem's more recent invocation, in ''White America,'' of ''so much anger aimed/in no particular direction just sprays and sprays.'' But like Eminem's rhymes, Monty's outburst, and the montage that accompanies it, contain tenderness as well as hate. Mr. Lee, an irreplaceable New York filmmaker, understands better than most that the true New Yorker's deep, exasperated and unquenchable love for his city is sometimes best expressed in the language of rage. Expand
  2. MelindaV.
    Jan 4, 2007
    It was an awesome movie, with an awesome plot. Lee did a wonderful job on this one.
  3. ConstarB.
    Jul 9, 2003
    Loved every bit of it.
  4. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    I don't like Spike Lee that much. I don't think he is a very talented director. In his whole career I only liked three films he has made... 1) Jungle Fever; 2) Summer of Sam; 3) 25th Hour. Despite Spike Lee I really loved this film. The highlight of the film is definetly Edward Norton's absolutley riveting performance! Other good performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman, I don't like Spike Lee that much. I don't think he is a very talented director. In his whole career I only liked three films he has made... 1) Jungle Fever; 2) Summer of Sam; 3) 25th Hour. Despite Spike Lee I really loved this film. The highlight of the film is definetly Edward Norton's absolutley riveting performance! Other good performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman, Barry Pepper and Brian Cox. The movie, although very disturbing, actually is wildly entertaining. The only part of the movie I hated was the annoying D.E.A. agent who had an absolutley dreadful high nasley voice. I was very surprised Edward Norton didn't get nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance. But you never know, he may get nominated for an Academy Award ... but knowing the Academy, I wouldn't hold my breath. If you haven't already seen this movie, go see it now! (1/23/03) Expand
  5. AndyD.
    Feb 12, 2003
    A truly amazing piece of work. Spike Lee can make someone walking down the street more interesting and beautiful then most movies. A great story based on what must be a well written book. I like that you'll think well watching the movie and that Spike doesn't try to push to much onto the viewer. I'll buy it as soon as it's on DVD. Go see it.
  6. RyanM.
    Feb 8, 2003
    I test you--find a movie with more to say than "25th Hour" in 2002. You won't. Lee mends this piece into something magnificent, one of the best movies of the year.
  7. JukkaR.
    Apr 6, 2003
    Simply put, a good film. But not for brainless action fans.
  8. VincenzoC.
    Jul 16, 2003
    Ed Norton did it again!
    Feb 10, 2004
    Great direction, great actors, deep and touching, congratulation mr. lee.
  10. DanC.
    Apr 30, 2004
    I just saw this movie yesterday and I was completely blown away! This is Lee's best work since Malcolm X! Every single actor is perfect! Ed Norton's monologue is one of the most memorable moments of the new milennium!
  11. AngelM.
    Jul 4, 2004
    What a great movie. Spike Lee's directing is superb and Edward Norton's performance is as great as usual. If you think this movie was "too strong" for you, your ignorant. Lee told it how it is!
  12. pamb.
    May 23, 2005
    Execellent!!!
  13. LanceN.
    Oct 20, 2006
    Great.
  14. pabloe.
    Oct 23, 2007
    This movie got me from the start. The intensity of the human drama is very high, like in a Bergman movie.
  15. EddieC.
    Oct 6, 2003
    This movie was one of the most moving films i have ever seen. It keeps me thinking for days after seeing it each time. It tributes and depicts new york fantastically and being a native new yorker i see this movie as a fantasy but at the same time so incredibly true. Do you know how many Boys in a private NY H.S. that seem to have it all going and use their intelligence for something so This movie was one of the most moving films i have ever seen. It keeps me thinking for days after seeing it each time. It tributes and depicts new york fantastically and being a native new yorker i see this movie as a fantasy but at the same time so incredibly true. Do you know how many Boys in a private NY H.S. that seem to have it all going and use their intelligence for something so easy and rewarding as dealing drugs? Its crazy but true, i grew up in that scenario and sometimes these "good boys" go to far and pay the ultimate price. Loss of love, friends, family, self. This movie impacted me greatly and lead me to think again about my actions, especially when the viewer has his father whom he loves and would never want to let down, his lover he never wants to leave, his best friends since childhood who would do anything for him but regret they didint do something sooner, and his "other friends" who are not realy friends at all. I was moved and enthralled by this fantastic movie about the greatest city in the world and all the s**t that goes down in it. Expand
  16. YippieK.
    Mar 29, 2003
    Very interesting characters and good music in a great film!
  17. JulieT.
    May 1, 2003
    Wow.
  18. JanS.
    Jun 21, 2003
    This was a riveting film, with the poignancy and loss of 9-11 woven into a story about regrets. The acting was superior, the directing was Lee at his stylized best, and the music was especially moving - underscoring the sadness of the story. I would love to own a copy of the soundtrack.
  19. MikeT.
    Jun 22, 2003
    This is a very powerful movie. I have no clue how Brian L. could say that there was no depth to the characters played by great actors. Maybe if you had stayed for the entire movie, you wouldn't be so ingorant about it.
  20. Justn
    Jul 27, 2003
    "ed norton did it again!". that says it all.
  21. Andrea
    Dec 11, 2003
    That was Great!
  22. Jess
    Feb 23, 2003
    Edward Norton is awesome in this movie like he was in Fight Club. I love the whole line he said when looking in the mirror.
  23. PhatMan
    Jun 26, 2003
    I loved this movie. Very different from all the crap coming out these days.
  24. Som3oneyoushouldlistento
    Jul 27, 2004
    Norton and Pepper are great... the story is realistic and the use of the city is perfect. The use of the music is just sugar(hill) on top.
  25. Jul 3, 2011
    The one scene where Norton's character is talking to himself in the mirror of that restaurant is the one that totally sold me on this film. It was pretty good until that point but when that happened I was blown away. Great film!
  26. Jun 19, 2013
    The 25th Hour is a faithful adaption, sticking closely to the novel. The only real deviation is Spike Lee's inclusion of the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks and the event's effect on NYC, and it's done masterfully. The acting is superb across the board, the pacing near-perfect and it all adds up to one of the most moving films I've ever seen.

1. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    At its best, 25th Hour is a melancholy tone poem -- But the movie is also muddled by its own ambitions. There is simply no connection between the themes of Benioff's screenplay and 9/11, and every time Lee over-inflates the story, he loses its real pulse.
  2. Lee doesn't seem to have the slightest sympathy for his hero, no particular point is made, and the whole exercise seems cold and empty.
  3. Isn't Lee's most personal piece, but it may very well be his most mature.