8.6

1. Dec 29, 2014
    When it comes to 25th Hour, this one succeeds in spite of Spike Lee. One of my least favorite directors for the way he randomly interjects race into films that are not about race at all, he manages to largely keep his mouth shut in this one, though he did add some very useless elements of racism that just did absolutely nothing for the plot in classic Spike fashion. Now, luckily for him,When it comes to 25th Hour, this one succeeds in spite of Spike Lee. One of my least favorite directors for the way he randomly interjects race into films that are not about race at all, he manages to largely keep his mouth shut in this one, though he did add some very useless elements of racism that just did absolutely nothing for the plot in classic Spike fashion. Now, luckily for him, the film has a very interesting plot and storyline that Lee does tell well, but the true reason why 25th Hour is so successful is the acting. Truly a great cast, Edward Norton, Barry Pepper, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rosario Dawson, Brian Cox, and Anna Paquin, are all awesome in this one and truly carry it. Norton and Hoffman are two of my favorite actors of all-time, but yet I cannot help but feel as though Pepper kind of stole the show a little bit. He was just that good. Emotionally powerful at many different times, 25th Hour is a riveting tale of man facing his last 24 hours of freedom before going to prison for seven years and on the back of the acting, this one soars in spite of Lee's attempts to try and mess it all up. Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2014
    it does bloody grabs you from the start, one of the best first scenes in cinema history if you ask me.

However the mid of the film felt slow to me, was plannin on giving it a 6 but the last scene really redeemed it and got it an extra point.

so, really awesome start and perfect ending, if only the journey was as captivating..
  3. Nov 6, 2014
    With all the talent associated on this project I expected so much more. The central theme is apparent early on, but no real revelations or insights after first 15 minutes. Film ends up being a really slow movie with a desperate need for quality editing. The dialogue is self indulgent and irrelevant. Many of the scenes are often drawn out and quite honestly, pointless. The score is soWith all the talent associated on this project I expected so much more. The central theme is apparent early on, but no real revelations or insights after first 15 minutes. Film ends up being a really slow movie with a desperate need for quality editing. The dialogue is self indulgent and irrelevant. Many of the scenes are often drawn out and quite honestly, pointless. The score is so inappropriate it's almost laughable. This film seemed more like a student effort... And not a particularly gifted student at that. Skip it Expand
  4. Jul 14, 2014
    25th Hour isn't exactly a bad movie, it's just a pointlessly long, tedious, boring movie. The acting isn't horrible (it isn't great), but the story has a central theme that tries to hard to be meaningful and moral. Also, the editing is choppy and exhausting. By the end, the movie turns into a preachy melodrama about not giving up on the life you want. Be warned; it's all cheese.
  5. May 22, 2014
    25th Hour is 2 hours long, but if you don`t fast forward it will feel like 25 hours.Allot of talk amongst friends, and people the main character knows. It`s a slow moving move with not much going on besides the thought of what is going to happen to the main character who will be going to jail. All his friends, and family talk about him like hes going to die. This is a backround movie to25th Hour is 2 hours long, but if you don`t fast forward it will feel like 25 hours.Allot of talk amongst friends, and people the main character knows. It`s a slow moving move with not much going on besides the thought of what is going to happen to the main character who will be going to jail. All his friends, and family talk about him like hes going to die. This is a backround movie to watch while you do something else. Expand
  6. Jan 1, 2014
    i think that this movie rank from below-average to normal in the most cases,
    the blew-average is the way that spike lee decided to deliver the story and the normal is the story itself,
    in other words the story struggled so hard to be delivered but the strong aspect about this movie was the performances. as usual Edward Norton gives a solid performance along with the secondary characters
    i think that this movie rank from below-average to normal in the most cases,
    as usual Edward Norton gives a solid performance along with the secondary characters like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Barry Pepper, but some scenes were completely irrelevant to the story such as the bathroom mirror scene and some of the camera work was completely unnecessary, it's like "hey we can do this effect and this effect", and I'm not really familiar with spike lee's work but i'm guessing from this movie it's average and the one thing i can take from this movie is me saying "hey you're good looking, you know that's gonna be bad for you if you ever go to jail" WHAT "oh just something i learned from 25th hours".
    if you didn't get my point then you need to watch the movie again, also the last scene when Edward Norton is old with his happy family is completely ridiculous, hey spike lee through some extra bucks on that shot, don't be so cheap.
  7. Jun 19, 2013
    The 25th Hour is a faithful adaption, sticking closely to the novel. The only real deviation is Spike Lee's inclusion of the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks and the event's effect on NYC, and it's done masterfully. The acting is superb across the board, the pacing near-perfect and it all adds up to one of the most moving films I've ever seen.
  8. Apr 28, 2013
    This certainly isn't a movie that I would want to watch together with friends. Instead of trying to grab your attention with visual-heavy scenes, this movie mainly consists of conversations. It's about a realistic scenario and how the people affected by it are dealing with it. And I really like the movie for that. It's different from what I usually watch.
    The conversations are also very
    The conversations are also very realistic. There are some scenes that were kind of unnecessary but still blew me away by how these characters talked to each other. A lot of times I thought to my self: "Yea, I could see my self taking part of that conversation." Although the drug mobster is kind of overblown.
    I can see why people find this movie boring. It's not for everyone. If you're the type of guy that can sit down for 2 hours and listen to people talk to each other about what they think will happen to them and what they're afraid of instead of them taking part in action scenes, then give this movie a shot. I certainly really enjoyed it.
  9. May 13, 2012
    Ed Norton was completely believable. However, the script was so incredibly sad. I don't want to watch a film about utter hopelessness. Fine for people who love tragedies. If you want to walk away not feeling suicidal, don't bother.
  10. Feb 25, 2012
    weird movie, about some criminal guy and his friends. Just another stupid movie that involves criminals going to jail and **** like that. I am not interested in this LOW LIFE ****
  11. Jul 3, 2011
    The one scene where Norton's character is talking to himself in the mirror of that restaurant is the one that totally sold me on this film. It was pretty good until that point but when that happened I was blown away. Great film!
  12. pabloe.
    Oct 23, 2007
    This movie got me from the start. The intensity of the human drama is very high, like in a Bergman movie.
  13. JoshC
    Feb 3, 2007
    In the 25th hour, Mr. Lee exercises his prodigious visual talents with unusual restraint, and keeps some of his more confrontational urges in check. Because the movie is so measured, so melodic, its bursts of wild invention, which might otherwise be irritating, are electrifying. The ending, narrated by Mr. Cox, is as bittersweet and sincere an evocation of the American dream as I have In the 25th hour, Mr. Lee exercises his prodigious visual talents with unusual restraint, and keeps some of his more confrontational urges in check. Because the movie is so measured, so melodic, its bursts of wild invention, which might otherwise be irritating, are electrifying. The ending, narrated by Mr. Cox, is as bittersweet and sincere an evocation of the American dream as I have seen on film in quite some time, acknowledging both the futility of the collective national fantasy and its consoling, resilient power. Almost as touching is a moment when Monty, staring into a men's room mirror, launches into a profane tirade against his fellow New Yorkers (and everyone else). His rage is impressively ecumenical, encompassing blacks, brutal police officers, gays, Osama bin Laden, the rich, the poor and every other ethnic or social type you can think of: all of them put down with ruthless, scabrous precision. The rant recalls a famous sequence in ''Do the Right Thing'' and also Eminem's more recent invocation, in ''White America,'' of ''so much anger aimed/in no particular direction just sprays and sprays.'' But like Eminem's rhymes, Monty's outburst, and the montage that accompanies it, contain tenderness as well as hate. Mr. Lee, an irreplaceable New York filmmaker, understands better than most that the true New Yorker's deep, exasperated and unquenchable love for his city is sometimes best expressed in the language of rage. Expand
  14. MelindaV.
    Jan 4, 2007
    It was an awesome movie, with an awesome plot. Lee did a wonderful job on this one.
  15. LanceN.
    Oct 20, 2006
    Great.
  16. J.RyanG.
    Jun 17, 2005
    Like a drunk man who wanders down a gaudy, busy street, this film gets stuck on the silliest of images and ideas, allowing its sloppy and confused characters to spend far too long looking at the ordinary sight that happens to dazzle the drunk in his blurred, psychedelic haze.
  17. pamb.
    May 23, 2005
    Execellent!!!
  18. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    I don't like Spike Lee that much. I don't think he is a very talented director. In his whole career I only liked three films he has made... 1) Jungle Fever; 2) Summer of Sam; 3) 25th Hour. Despite Spike Lee I really loved this film. The highlight of the film is definetly Edward Norton's absolutley riveting performance! Other good performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman, I don't like Spike Lee that much. I don't think he is a very talented director. In his whole career I only liked three films he has made... 1) Jungle Fever; 2) Summer of Sam; 3) 25th Hour. Despite Spike Lee I really loved this film. The highlight of the film is definetly Edward Norton's absolutley riveting performance! Other good performances by Philip Seymour Hoffman, Barry Pepper and Brian Cox. The movie, although very disturbing, actually is wildly entertaining. The only part of the movie I hated was the annoying D.E.A. agent who had an absolutley dreadful high nasley voice. I was very surprised Edward Norton didn't get nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance. But you never know, he may get nominated for an Academy Award ... but knowing the Academy, I wouldn't hold my breath. If you haven't already seen this movie, go see it now! (1/23/03) Expand
  19. Som3oneyoushouldlistento
    Jul 27, 2004
    Norton and Pepper are great... the story is realistic and the use of the city is perfect. The use of the music is just sugar(hill) on top.
  20. AngelM.
    Jul 4, 2004
    What a great movie. Spike Lee's directing is superb and Edward Norton's performance is as great as usual. If you think this movie was "too strong" for you, your ignorant. Lee told it how it is!
  21. DanC.
    Apr 30, 2004
    I just saw this movie yesterday and I was completely blown away! This is Lee's best work since Malcolm X! Every single actor is perfect! Ed Norton's monologue is one of the most memorable moments of the new milennium!
    Feb 10, 2004
    Great direction, great actors, deep and touching, congratulation mr. lee.
  23. Andrea
    Dec 11, 2003
    That was Great!
  24. EddieC.
    Oct 6, 2003
    This movie was one of the most moving films i have ever seen. It keeps me thinking for days after seeing it each time. It tributes and depicts new york fantastically and being a native new yorker i see this movie as a fantasy but at the same time so incredibly true. Do you know how many Boys in a private NY H.S. that seem to have it all going and use their intelligence for something so This movie was one of the most moving films i have ever seen. It keeps me thinking for days after seeing it each time. It tributes and depicts new york fantastically and being a native new yorker i see this movie as a fantasy but at the same time so incredibly true. Do you know how many Boys in a private NY H.S. that seem to have it all going and use their intelligence for something so easy and rewarding as dealing drugs? Its crazy but true, i grew up in that scenario and sometimes these "good boys" go to far and pay the ultimate price. Loss of love, friends, family, self. This movie impacted me greatly and lead me to think again about my actions, especially when the viewer has his father whom he loves and would never want to let down, his lover he never wants to leave, his best friends since childhood who would do anything for him but regret they didint do something sooner, and his "other friends" who are not realy friends at all. I was moved and enthralled by this fantastic movie about the greatest city in the world and all the s**t that goes down in it. Expand
  25. MichaelH.
    Aug 10, 2003
    When Baltimore defensive lineman Tony Siragusa is giving a leading role and then asked to speak in a thick Russian accent to boot....need I say more? Felt more like 48 hours, (actually that movie was better!)
  26. Justn
    Jul 27, 2003
    "ed norton did it again!". that says it all.
  27. VincenzoC.
    Jul 16, 2003
    Ed Norton did it again!
  28. ConstarB.
    Jul 9, 2003
    Loved every bit of it.
  29. PhatMan
    Jun 26, 2003
    I loved this movie. Very different from all the crap coming out these days.
  30. MikeT.
    Jun 22, 2003
    This is a very powerful movie. I have no clue how Brian L. could say that there was no depth to the characters played by great actors. Maybe if you had stayed for the entire movie, you wouldn't be so ingorant about it.
  31. JanS.
    Jun 21, 2003
    This was a riveting film, with the poignancy and loss of 9-11 woven into a story about regrets. The acting was superior, the directing was Lee at his stylized best, and the music was especially moving - underscoring the sadness of the story. I would love to own a copy of the soundtrack.
  32. MathieuD.
    Jun 13, 2003
    Good performances, interesting storyline. An overall interesting society critic.
  33. MattZ.
    Jun 7, 2003
    I was into the movie from start to finish. what a great film! as i watched the film i expected something rediculous to happen but it never did which is why the film is so good. most movies you can predict. this one was so simple that all of my guesses of what was going to happen were wrong. and i love to be wrong. the camera angles and views were terrific. also, the film touched base onI was into the movie from start to finish. what a great film! as i watched the film i expected something rediculous to happen but it never did which is why the film is so good. most movies you can predict. this one was so simple that all of my guesses of what was going to happen were wrong. and i love to be wrong. the camera angles and views were terrific. also, the film touched base on real life problems. norton is shaping into one of the best actors of this century. Expand
  34. JasonZ.
    May 27, 2003
    This is a great film - with amazing performances from Dawson, Hoffman, Pepper, and Cox. Norton is okay, but lacks the typical fire & depth of a Lee protagonist. Lee's directorial vision is simply capitivating as he seamlessly blends authentic "real" dialogue between characters we quickly CARE about with one of the best film soundtracks of all time. Lee has much to say about our This is a great film - with amazing performances from Dawson, Hoffman, Pepper, and Cox. Norton is okay, but lacks the typical fire & depth of a Lee protagonist. Lee's directorial vision is simply capitivating as he seamlessly blends authentic "real" dialogue between characters we quickly CARE about with one of the best film soundtracks of all time. Lee has much to say about our post-9/11 culture in The 25th Hour ... and most of it's not good or nationalistic. Those of you expecting a film with a beginning, middle or end will be disappointed. This is about a "day in the life". There are no happy endings. Just pain and uncertainty. If you can watch this film and somehow get comfortable with the pain, then you will hear what the film is trying to tell you ... we have lost our innocence in this country and we don't yet know how to respond. Expand
  35. JulieT.
    May 1, 2003
    Wow.
  36. Rachel
    Apr 29, 2003
    Good movie, i would have liked to see nortons charcter be more passionate and show a bigger range of emotion, dawson did nothing except for pout and look frustrated the whole movie, barry pepper was awsome and had great screen presence, i dont see how the whole student teacher lust thing fit into the plot at all , a good movie with a bad ending.
  37. JukkaR.
    Apr 6, 2003
    Simply put, a good film. But not for brainless action fans.
  38. YippieK.
    Mar 29, 2003
    Very interesting characters and good music in a great film!
  39. BrianL.
    Mar 21, 2003
    Walk out after an hour, I couldn't stand the boredom any long, no depth to the characters, aimless direction. Do people in New York have such a limit vocabulary that the can say f**k more times than any other word?
  40. Wheeler
    Feb 28, 2003
    I enjoy "conversation" films and this is the best I've seen in years.
  41. Jess
    Feb 23, 2003
    Edward Norton is awesome in this movie like he was in Fight Club. I love the whole line he said when looking in the mirror.
  42. AndyD.
    Feb 12, 2003
    A truly amazing piece of work. Spike Lee can make someone walking down the street more interesting and beautiful then most movies. A great story based on what must be a well written book. I like that you'll think well watching the movie and that Spike doesn't try to push to much onto the viewer. I'll buy it as soon as it's on DVD. Go see it.
  43. RyanM.
    Feb 8, 2003
    I test you--find a movie with more to say than "25th Hour" in 2002. You won't. Lee mends this piece into something magnificent, one of the best movies of the year.
  44. MicheleM.
    Jan 14, 2003
    I am completely mystified by the critics' adulation over this bogus sentimental journey into the heart of the Trade Center's collaspe. Edward Norton's character is not symbolic for Enron or the cancer & apathy that is plaging our nation. The screenplay hasn't the magnitude. Spike Lee's "spontaneous" banter between the white boyz that is supposed to read as loose I am completely mystified by the critics' adulation over this bogus sentimental journey into the heart of the Trade Center's collaspe. Edward Norton's character is not symbolic for Enron or the cancer & apathy that is plaging our nation. The screenplay hasn't the magnitude. Spike Lee's "spontaneous" banter between the white boyz that is supposed to read as loose is stilted. It's too bad that the critics (of many papers which I read) are all in a hurry to bring about somekind of manifistation, some thing that they can look at and say again, "Yeah that was horror". It's too bad that this college student with a film camera was the first to be in the line. Expand
  45. JasonA.
    Jan 13, 2003
    My contact lenses dried up from falling asleep numerous times in the theater. Nuff said!
  46. MikeG.
    Jan 10, 2003
    Alright, this film was very interesting. There were great performances by Norton, however his character was under-developed.The main thing I enjoyed about this film was how Lee, had all of this post-911 influence in the background. It made you think of what this world has went through, and how we have been dealing with it.
  47. Horrorview
    Dec 30, 2002
    Norton, as usual, is a magnetic screen prescence, yet takes a backseat to Lee's cluttered and unimaginative narrative. Could have been great, has to settle for merely good.
  48. Richard
    Dec 23, 2002
    Talky and downbeat, but not without considerable rewards. Excellent performances from most of the cast, particularly Norton and Pepper. Using post-9/11 New York as a backdrop for people who seem stuck and unable to change is daring, sometimes feels shoehorned in typical Spike Lee style, but ultimately adds worthy weight to the story.
  49. JonT.
    Dec 21, 2002
    Inspired but uneven. Some great performances by Norton, Pepper, Hoffman and Paquin. A couple of classic scenes. Norton cursing at himself and everything else in a bathroom mirror. The "seduction" sequence between Paquin as a sexy student and Hoffman as her uptight teacher is hilarious and wonderfully acted. I'd like to see Paquin in Hoffman in another film again. Good movie. Inspired but uneven. Some great performances by Norton, Pepper, Hoffman and Paquin. A couple of classic scenes. Norton cursing at himself and everything else in a bathroom mirror. The "seduction" sequence between Paquin as a sexy student and Hoffman as her uptight teacher is hilarious and wonderfully acted. I'd like to see Paquin in Hoffman in another film again. Good movie. Could've been great, often is. But not enough. Expand
  50. MichaelF.
    Dec 20, 2002
    What a disappointment! A NOTHING movie! It tries to be a character piece, except there is ZERO character developtment, aside from what you get by just looking at the characters and guessing who they are. Solid acting, excellent cinematography. The music in this film, like many of Spike's films, is SO LOUD! The music is so loud and cheesy that it makes a bad and already cheesy, What a disappointment! A NOTHING movie! It tries to be a character piece, except there is ZERO character developtment, aside from what you get by just looking at the characters and guessing who they are. Solid acting, excellent cinematography. The music in this film, like many of Spike's films, is SO LOUD! The music is so loud and cheesy that it makes a bad and already cheesy, without the music, scene cheesier. I'm giving up on Spike, I got CLOCKERS (a masterpiece) Do The Right Thing and Malcolm X, that's it. Every other movie he does had the possibility of being great, but screws itself up in the end and becomes overlong and emotionless, like this. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    At its best, 25th Hour is a melancholy tone poem -- But the movie is also muddled by its own ambitions. There is simply no connection between the themes of Benioff's screenplay and 9/11, and every time Lee over-inflates the story, he loses its real pulse.
  2. Lee doesn't seem to have the slightest sympathy for his hero, no particular point is made, and the whole exercise seems cold and empty.
  3. Isn't Lee's most personal piece, but it may very well be his most mature.