8.1

1. Jul 14, 2014
    25th Hour isn't exactly a bad movie, it's just a pointlessly long, tedious, boring movie. The acting isn't horrible (it isn't great), but the story has a central theme that tries to hard to be meaningful and moral. Also, the editing is choppy and exhausting. By the end, the movie turns into a preachy melodrama about not giving up on the life you want. Be warned; it's all cheese.
  2. May 22, 2014
    25th Hour is 2 hours long, but if you don`t fast forward it will feel like 25 hours.Allot of talk amongst friends, and people the main character knows. It`s a slow moving move with not much going on besides the thought of what is going to happen to the main character who will be going to jail. All his friends, and family talk about him like hes going to die. This is a backround movie to watch while you do something else. Expand
  3. Jan 1, 2014
    i think that this movie rank from below-average to normal in the most cases,
    the blew-average is the way that spike lee decided to deliver the story and the normal is the story itself,
    in other words the story struggled so hard to be delivered but the strong aspect about this movie was the performances.
    as usual Edward Norton gives a solid performance along with the secondary characters
    like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Barry Pepper, but some scenes were completely irrelevant to the story such as the bathroom mirror scene and some of the camera work was completely unnecessary, it's like "hey we can do this effect and this effect", and I'm not really familiar with spike lee's work but i'm guessing from this movie it's average and the one thing i can take from this movie is me saying "hey you're good looking, you know that's gonna be bad for you if you ever go to jail" WHAT "oh just something i learned from 25th hours".
    if you didn't get my point then you need to watch the movie again, also the last scene when Edward Norton is old with his happy family is completely ridiculous, hey spike lee through some extra bucks on that shot, don't be so cheap.
  4. Jun 19, 2013
    The 25th Hour is a faithful adaption, sticking closely to the novel. The only real deviation is Spike Lee's inclusion of the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks and the event's effect on NYC, and it's done masterfully. The acting is superb across the board, the pacing near-perfect and it all adds up to one of the most moving films I've ever seen.
  5. Apr 28, 2013
    This certainly isn't a movie that I would want to watch together with friends. Instead of trying to grab your attention with visual-heavy scenes, this movie mainly consists of conversations. It's about a realistic scenario and how the people affected by it are dealing with it. And I really like the movie for that. It's different from what I usually watch.
    The conversations are also very
    realistic. There are some scenes that were kind of unnecessary but still blew me away by how these characters talked to each other. A lot of times I thought to my self: "Yea, I could see my self taking part of that conversation." Although the drug mobster is kind of overblown.
    I can see why people find this movie boring. It's not for everyone. If you're the type of guy that can sit down for 2 hours and listen to people talk to each other about what they think will happen to them and what they're afraid of instead of them taking part in action scenes, then give this movie a shot. I certainly really enjoyed it.
  6. May 13, 2012
    Ed Norton was completely believable. However, the script was so incredibly sad. I don't want to watch a film about utter hopelessness. Fine for people who love tragedies. If you want to walk away not feeling suicidal, don't bother.
  7. Feb 25, 2012
    weird movie, about some criminal guy and his friends. Just another stupid movie that involves criminals going to jail and **** like that. I am not interested in this LOW LIFE ****
  8. Jul 3, 2011
    The one scene where Norton's character is talking to himself in the mirror of that restaurant is the one that totally sold me on this film. It was pretty good until that point but when that happened I was blown away. Great film!

1. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    At its best, 25th Hour is a melancholy tone poem -- But the movie is also muddled by its own ambitions. There is simply no connection between the themes of Benioff's screenplay and 9/11, and every time Lee over-inflates the story, he loses its real pulse.
  2. Lee doesn't seem to have the slightest sympathy for his hero, no particular point is made, and the whole exercise seems cold and empty.
  3. Isn't Lee's most personal piece, but it may very well be his most mature.