27 Dresses

5.8

1. StefanD.
    Feb 25, 2008
    This was the perfect date movie for us. Her situation was was but the expressive acting (e.g. stuffing her mouth full of food, his facial expressions) were just what we needed. It was humorous and engaging with plot twists to boot. It also didn't have overflowing sexuality which was refreshing.
  2. SteveT.
    Jun 16, 2008
    Funny how all the crappy people gave it a 4 or less and all the real people did 6 and up. Let's you know just how 'hard' our world has become. We need more movies like this. Calm, sweet, comedic and warm. Predictable, yes....a sweet love story usually means someone will fall in love....but then again we all know what's going to happen in a slasher movie or a end of the Funny how all the crappy people gave it a 4 or less and all the real people did 6 and up. Let's you know just how 'hard' our world has become. We need more movies like this. Calm, sweet, comedic and warm. Predictable, yes....a sweet love story usually means someone will fall in love....but then again we all know what's going to happen in a slasher movie or a end of the world saga. Katherine ROCKS! Expand
  3. AdrianL.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Of course it was predictable, it's a romantic comedy. It was one of the best written in the genre that I've seen in years.
  4. Nov 24, 2010
    very emotional, cry a lot, and katherine is great. it was predicted as all romantic movies, but it is unique, in dialogue and direction.
    I love it!
  5. MeghanC.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Ok so I loved this movies so much. i got hooked in the begging and loved it. the sex content was a little bad but did not take away from the movie.
  6. StephanieC
    Feb 8, 2008
    I saw this with my friend, and we enjoyed it quite a lot. Yes, it's predictable because it is a romantic comedy. But let me say this, it was not as cheesy or stupid as it could have been. It felt semi-realistic. And more importantly, it made me laugh. Oh yea, and we were glad she ended up with the much cuter journalist.
  7. JessicaR.
    Feb 18, 2008
    I loved this movie, predictable but a true funny, warm and adorable chick flick.
  8. ClaireF
    Feb 4, 2008
    It's a romantic comedy, of course it's supposed to be formula! I went into the cinema fully expecting fluff and froth, and so I wasn't disappointed when I left it. Katherine Heigl was luminous and - although swallowing the idea of someone as beautiful and intelligent as her as a dowdy wallflower is almost impossible - almost believable. James Marsden's charm made his It's a romantic comedy, of course it's supposed to be formula! I went into the cinema fully expecting fluff and froth, and so I wasn't disappointed when I left it. Katherine Heigl was luminous and - although swallowing the idea of someone as beautiful and intelligent as her as a dowdy wallflower is almost impossible - almost believable. James Marsden's charm made his character likable despite everything. Despite the cliches, I still had a good time watching. Expand
  9. Judith
    Feb 5, 2008
    I thought it was tremendous fun.
  10. Phoebe
    May 7, 2008
    Light.
  11. RafiG.
    Feb 15, 2008
    Me and my wife saw it for valentines. Overall we really enjoyed the movie. Acting was decent and charming. There were some interesting characters. I found Jane's friend, Judy Greer, made the movie for me.
  12. SH.
    Feb 2, 2008
    Went to see it with my girlfriends. I laughed quite a bit. Predictable yes but much funnier than I anticipated. Well worth $8.50 was the general consensus of 6 thirtysomething former bridesmaids.
  13. Apr 27, 2014
    Katherine Heigl is great in this movie. It is a total chick flick with a dash of comedy. It's pretty light and fun and always good to watch with your gal pals. It is unique and different to any other chick flick I have seen, (which nowadays seems to be a challenge, they all mimic each other.) Liked it.
  14. ChadS.
    Jan 20, 2008
    "27 Dresses", for one tantalizing moment, gets nasty, gets mean; it tampers with the romantic/comedy formula, and gets real. At a bridal shower, the sibling rivalry between both sisters reaches its apex when Jane(Katherine Heigl) humiliates Tess(Malin Akerman) with a vengeance that's cathartic for moviegoers who've sat through too many predictable romantic/comedies such as "27 "27 Dresses", for one tantalizing moment, gets nasty, gets mean; it tampers with the romantic/comedy formula, and gets real. At a bridal shower, the sibling rivalry between both sisters reaches its apex when Jane(Katherine Heigl) humiliates Tess(Malin Akerman) with a vengeance that's cathartic for moviegoers who've sat through too many predictable romantic/comedies such as "27 Dresses". If this movie about a perpetual bridesmaid had the conviction to aggravate Jane's festering wound rather than fix it up with a salve, "27 Dresses" would've been an unqualified artistic success, a triumph of art over commerce. But alas, Tess behaves contritely towards her big sis after their public implosion that's antithetical to her self-absorbed persona. "27 Dresses" bends, but doesn't break genre expectations. It's disappointing. It's dishonest. And the audience won't buy it. "27 Dresses" is a prime example of how focus groups can destroy the artistic integrity of a film. They say that a zebra doesn't change its stripes, except...in movies. Isn't liking the protagonist enough. Heigl is wonderful in her first star-vehicle? Do we have to like Tess, too? Expand
  15. SharryT.
    Jan 28, 2008
    I thought this was a lot better than many romantic comedies. The acting was perfectly decent and the plot fair. Way better than the Wedding Crashers which got better reviews.
  16. CW.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Follows a tried and true romantic comedy formula, but has enough realism and decent acting to keep it going. The audience seemed to laugh in all the right places, and everyone walked away with a smile. Can't ask much more than that these days.
  17. JayH.
    Apr 16, 2008
    I enjoyed the film tremendously. The performances by Katherine Heigl and Judy Greer are wonderful. Funny, touching and very entertaining. Ok, it is predictable, but it works.
  18. Aug 8, 2011
    Despite the cliche and ridiculous. But somehow it works for me. At least entertaining. Good chemistry from Katherine Heigl and James Marsden. It tell us, the world don't suck up, there's still something call love.

1. While Heigl is terrific, this uninspired romantic comedy is considerably less so.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Frothy, funny and formulaic, 27 Dresses is a pleasantly predictable romantic comedy that sees Katherine Heigl following “Knocked Up” with smooth moves at the wheel of her first starring vehicle.
    There's not a surprising moment in the movie yet it works in spite of the stale, insipid storyline. That has a lot to do with lead actress Katherine Heigl and a little to do with the glowing embers between her and her co-star, James Marsden.