7.5

1. ChaseG.
    Mar 17, 2008
    To me, what Days has always held over the head of Weeks is simply this...mood. 28 Days Later has an unparalleled mood and style in its execution, in almost everything it does. It doesn't just describe events to you, like some movies do, but it portrays it in such a way that it's genuinely chilling and believable. In comparison to Weeks, Days doesn't hold what it has over To me, what Days has always held over the head of Weeks is simply this...mood. 28 Days Later has an unparalleled mood and style in its execution, in almost everything it does. It doesn't just describe events to you, like some movies do, but it portrays it in such a way that it's genuinely chilling and believable. In comparison to Weeks, Days doesn't hold what it has over you like a bludgeon, it doesn't attempt to beat you with the speed of the zombies, or the gore. But it places it in supreme positions in the film to have the utmost effect, at the climax, at the low-point, etc. And the best part about it, is that it manages to achieve a constant level of edginess, a constant thrill even when there's nothing on the screen, it manages all of this without a guitar-blasting soundtrack (however awesome the Weeks theme is) or cameras explicitly showing that zombies are just running at you, spewing blood as they go. In fact, you are often scared in this movie simply by the fact that you don't really see what's scaring you, which is a true sign of mastery in the genre. On the other end of the spectrum, all performances in this film are excellent, the chemistry between Seline and Jim is believable especially. All characters have an edge of sympathy, and portray to you that not everyone to survive the apocalypse will be beefy, bulky men with chain guns. It defies a lot of things that would be expected of it, and ditches all normal conventions, pulling it off with grace and poise. It's a must see for anyone who can stand the level of intensity. It's a must see for anyone who can stand the. Expand
  2. Aug 14, 2010
    I really enjoyed this movie and the zombie origin story in provided. The actors in it do a great job. I was impressed with this one, and liked it equally as well as the second one.
  3. May 6, 2011
    Fantastic horror film. I daresay there hasn't been a zombie film this good since the original Dawn of the Dead. What really makes it work is the utterly desolate atmosphere, and the convincing desperation of the performers. Scary but not reliant on gore, this is a class act. One of the best horror films in decades.
  4. Jan 16, 2013
    Quite different to your American zombie movie as it focus more on survival rather than a zombie apocalypse. Lead by a great cast, in particular Naomie Harris who plays a bad-ass Selena. The zombies aren't even zombies, more-so humans infected with rage, which is a nice little twist on the genre. It is fairly slow-paced at times but tends to get quite exciting towards the end with a fewQuite different to your American zombie movie as it focus more on survival rather than a zombie apocalypse. Lead by a great cast, in particular Naomie Harris who plays a bad-ass Selena. The zombies aren't even zombies, more-so humans infected with rage, which is a nice little twist on the genre. It is fairly slow-paced at times but tends to get quite exciting towards the end with a few shocks in there. Overall an impressive zombie flick from the Brits that also delivered an impressive sequel! Expand
  5. Jan 2, 2014
    Hands down, the best horror movie ever made since The Shining in 1980. Danny Boyle proves his versatility as a director with this movie, mixing a love story with real, intense scares. The scenery is memorable, as is the phenomenal John Murphy soundtrack. I highly recommend this movie. Also, in response to some of the negative comments on here, the cameras were intentionally rough until theHands down, the best horror movie ever made since The Shining in 1980. Danny Boyle proves his versatility as a director with this movie, mixing a love story with real, intense scares. The scenery is memorable, as is the phenomenal John Murphy soundtrack. I highly recommend this movie. Also, in response to some of the negative comments on here, the cameras were intentionally rough until the end of the movie. I felt it added confusion and harshness to the most intense parts. Expand
  6. Oct 19, 2011
    Sure, Danny Boyle's "28 Days Later" is a wonderful, gritty, realistic example of what the world would be if there was a zombie apocalypse (which I highly doubt). But except for the pure horror entertainment and several political satire, it's pretty much another linear zombie film that really isn't any different from Romero's.
  7. Marco
    Sep 9, 2003
    This is by far the worst movie I have ever seen. The story is the classical "something-terrible-has-happened-to-the-world-everybody's-dead-but-me", utterly uninteresting, non-horror, no depth no style. NOTHING. But go see it, you'll be rolling on the floor laughing!
  8. RichS.
    Jun 1, 2007
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'll always remember how bad it was because I was laughing the whole way through.
  9. DarlaH.
    Nov 4, 2003
    I'm giving this movie a 2 only because I liked the way the zombies moved in there rapid herky jerky manner, but thats the only thing in this movie I liked. The oohs and awws about London being deserted blah blah, been there done that, New York in Planet of the apes. The soldiers went bad, wow what a twist, they wanted to spawn with the girls, hence the wimpy character we saw at I'm giving this movie a 2 only because I liked the way the zombies moved in there rapid herky jerky manner, but thats the only thing in this movie I liked. The oohs and awws about London being deserted blah blah, been there done that, New York in Planet of the apes. The soldiers went bad, wow what a twist, they wanted to spawn with the girls, hence the wimpy character we saw at beginning of movie now has to go into hero mode, boringggggggggggggg. Identity, the movie was far better, was'nt a real scary movie either, but as far as a mind twist, it was head and shoulders above this blood hurling zombie depressorama waste of time movie. Ps... my boys who shouldnt have been watching a R rated movie, but did anyway, said "mom, that movie sucked" Expand
  10. Mathias
    Nov 8, 2003
    Don't waste your time, even if someone gives you this movie, you'll get more enjoyment using the DVD as a frisbee. An utter disappointment. Don't be fooled by people saying a "cautionary tale about man and science" and all that crap. It's utter nonsense, which leads to a lame ending where the cure is raping young, teenage women. And forget about thrills and chills, you Don't waste your time, even if someone gives you this movie, you'll get more enjoyment using the DVD as a frisbee. An utter disappointment. Don't be fooled by people saying a "cautionary tale about man and science" and all that crap. It's utter nonsense, which leads to a lame ending where the cure is raping young, teenage women. And forget about thrills and chills, you get more suspense moments during a rerun of Friends. You want to see a good film, rent Night of the Living Dead. Expand
  11. JPDupras
    Oct 21, 2003
    There are two kinds of people: those that "get" this movie, and those that get it within the first few minutes, and then realize how freakishly boring it is. Truly one of the worst film I ever saw, not even good enough for a laugh.
  12. SteveM.
    Jul 14, 2003
    I've only walked out of one movie in my life, and this is it. It is so so terrible, badly taped on digital video, bad acting, and has complete ripped off scenes from Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead, two classic and well made zombie movies. This is amateur garbage. A worthless piece of trash which is trying to pass itself off as original, when that is the last thing it is.
  13. KrystleF.
    Aug 16, 2003
    It was the stupidest movie i have ever saw...real disappointment about the movie.
  14. Grosslyoffended
    Aug 3, 2003
    other than the "scary" scenes where everyone broke into laughter at the absurdity, i would rather have killed myself.
  15. EmmaU.
    Jan 19, 2004
    This film has perhaps the worst production quality I have seen in years. And no, I'm not talking about the intentional old school effects. Just awful. Not scary at all.
  16. ChrisP
    Aug 1, 2004
    Mediocre. The primary theme, rage as a virus which is present even in the "uninfected," is presented with a sledgehammer blow: no subtlety, no art, presented for the lowest common denominator to understand. Many inconsistencies: lights on in supermarket despite total lack of electricity, etc. Horrible use of music--very typical Hollywood sound. And...tragically...a love story of sorts and Mediocre. The primary theme, rage as a virus which is present even in the "uninfected," is presented with a sledgehammer blow: no subtlety, no art, presented for the lowest common denominator to understand. Many inconsistencies: lights on in supermarket despite total lack of electricity, etc. Horrible use of music--very typical Hollywood sound. And...tragically...a love story of sorts and an uplifting ending. Blech. Just a very average film, striving to say something but w/o much new to add. Doesn't even touch Night of the Living Dead for art, wit, despair. Expand
  17. MichaelR.
    Nov 20, 2003
    Like Boyle's other work, a decent setup that's good to watch for about an hour and then falls apart completely. Looks nice, but character development is either nonexistent or entirely unbelievable, the second half of the movie is ridiculous and pathetic, and the ending is dismal and looks as if it was tacked on to fill this out to a grand 1:45. Tries to be even-handed in its Like Boyle's other work, a decent setup that's good to watch for about an hour and then falls apart completely. Looks nice, but character development is either nonexistent or entirely unbelievable, the second half of the movie is ridiculous and pathetic, and the ending is dismal and looks as if it was tacked on to fill this out to a grand 1:45. Tries to be even-handed in its message, but ends up so muddled there is none. The critics were hoodwinked on this one. Expand
  18. TylerC.
    Oct 19, 2003
    For the life of me I cannot understand why this movie was rated so highly. It had an interesting beginning but soon became boring and longwinded. Then it became a complete gorefest that could only be enjoyed by "House of 1000 corpses" fans that prefer ravenous brutality to suspense. Not only is this one of the worst horror movies in recent times but it is the worst "zombie flick" ever For the life of me I cannot understand why this movie was rated so highly. It had an interesting beginning but soon became boring and longwinded. Then it became a complete gorefest that could only be enjoyed by "House of 1000 corpses" fans that prefer ravenous brutality to suspense. Not only is this one of the worst horror movies in recent times but it is the worst "zombie flick" ever created. If you want a movie about infectious diseases, then I recommend "Outbreak." If you want to see a good zombie movie, then you can't do much better than "Dawn of the dead." If you want to waste your time and money, then by all means watch "28 days later." Expand
  19. MattP.
    Oct 19, 2003
    This 'movie' came out in the UK a long time ago. It was loved by chin-stroking art film students and hated by everyone else. Sh.t.
  20. ChanceyG.
    Jun 29, 2003
    This movie is utterly tasteless parts thrown at you completely unnessecary and others just out of place. Worst movie i have seen since, well ever.
  21. DinuF.
    Jun 29, 2003
    If moviemaking would have started yesterday it would get a 10. story is too constructed, everything is foreseeabhle which cuts down the fun by a lot if you don't just shift your braing following scene for scene but automatically predict things.
  22. Beyonda
    Jul 31, 2003
    Bad, just bad. Boring too. Stupid. Incoherent. Self -Indulgent. Tone deaf. Cynical. Laughably clumsy. Stupyfingly awful. I wanted to walk out but thought that surely something must happen eventually that is interesting. Nothing ever does.
  23. Krucial
    Jul 31, 2003
    After the movie was over, I realized most everyone in the theater had already left. I then realized what an ass I was for watching the whole thing. Boring and not the least bit scary.
  24. KayWhy
    Jul 31, 2003
    The beginning of the movie was great, but it goes down hill from there. the music and gritty beauty aside, the movie was brainless. unlike good horrors, it didn't transport the viewer from reality, so the viewer is only left wondering why is this happening or why is that happening. the movie completely falls apart near the ending. plus, it wasn't that scary. there were a fewThe beginning of the movie was great, but it goes down hill from there. the music and gritty beauty aside, the movie was brainless. unlike good horrors, it didn't transport the viewer from reality, so the viewer is only left wondering why is this happening or why is that happening. the movie completely falls apart near the ending. plus, it wasn't that scary. there were a few scenes that were suspenseful but that was it. Expand
  25. v.d.
    Jul 5, 2003
    unnecessary. Social commentary that clubs you over the head. Mindless. I didn't like Trainspotting, but thought it had something to say. Not this!
  26. WillL.
    Mar 12, 2004
    I heard this movie was great and going to be scary...it was neither of these. I bought the movie and wish I could send it back. I am not sure I would recommend renting this movie, but I would say do NOT buy it.
  27. John
    Sep 13, 2007
    I really loved this movie. Finally a movie with ass-kickingly fast zombies. But i see a lot of zero's up here and as I read i got the impression that most of those people didnt understand the movie so im gonna try to help some of the points the complained about. 1) Now the reason there is light in the supermarket is because if you look really closely you will find its not actually a I really loved this movie. Finally a movie with ass-kickingly fast zombies. But i see a lot of zero's up here and as I read i got the impression that most of those people didnt understand the movie so im gonna try to help some of the points the complained about. 1) Now the reason there is light in the supermarket is because if you look really closely you will find its not actually a ceiling, ok, its just one big hole. I bet u missed that. 2) They aren't zombies they are pissed off because its not really a "virus" its more like people are transferring periods to each other. 3) The reason they dont attack other infected is because once you get bit...well...i uhhhhh...yea...4) The army fellows didn't want to get with the little girl as a cure, but just to rebuild the entire human race with 9 guys ad 2 girls. So you see once you fully understand the movie, you'll love it that much more. Expand
  28. MikeD.
    Dec 24, 2009
    28 months after I watched this movie and I still think it's the worst movie of the last century. Not only is it boring but it lacks all horror/suspense. Do not watch. Save yourself the time.
  29. EdgarM.
    Mar 30, 2009
    Just another way to do a zombie movie. In this version a virus escapes because of a raid by PETA type activists on a research facility in the UK. Apparently the virus causes those who are infected to fly into a rage and dismember the first person they see. Sound familiar? Somehow, they attack only uninfected humans, not each other. But humankind may be safe after all since not one Just another way to do a zombie movie. In this version a virus escapes because of a raid by PETA type activists on a research facility in the UK. Apparently the virus causes those who are infected to fly into a rage and dismember the first person they see. Sound familiar? Somehow, they attack only uninfected humans, not each other. But humankind may be safe after all since not one infected person strays beyond the UK so the world is safe from Perfidious Albion's latest blunder. Nothing really connects. It's just another freak show with a happy ending, i.e., the lovers survive and the bad guys are all gone. Expand
  30. JeffC.
    Oct 25, 2008
    People who direct music videos shouldn't direct movies.
  31. MichaelR
    Mar 24, 2008
    Its passable.You're not missing anything horrifying if you don't see this movie.Its nowhere near as great as dawn of the dead which this movie seems to resemble only it has less zombies and a different ending.
  32. Jan 31, 2013
    Best zombie film of all time. Great pacing, great story, great zombies, full of suspense, realistic dialog, disturbing, morbid, and violent. What more do you need?
  33. Sep 3, 2014
    There are good zombie films and there are bad ones. There are good movies featuring Cillian Murphy and there are bad ones. 28 Days Later is both a poor representation of exciting zombie-entertainment and Cillian Murphy's talents.
  34. Nov 18, 2012
    The camera work is nothing short of genius. Too bad the budget was too low to pay for good quality cameras.
  35. Dec 10, 2012
    It's definitively not the best zombies movie out there, they did produced great movie scenarios and fair picture display, the story it's very good but at the same time the movie it's attractive and cliched. Cillian Murphy's acting performance does save some pieces of the movie but it wasn't enough.
  36. SteveS.
    Jul 5, 2003
    This is a modern version of DAWN OF THE DEAD by George Romero. The Zombies are Faster and the film was shot with a style of quick cuts and horrific sound effects.
  37. Joe
    Jan 3, 2004
    28 Days Later is a movie that has much more of a realistic outcome than any other zombie movie out there. We all know that the government has worked on things of this sort. It is not just a movie where so re-animated corpses eat people, but rather, bodies become infested with a virus making them mindless killers.
  38. RobinC.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Not meant to scare you unless you can think about what the movie represents. The disturbing truth of how men react to destruction and death with violence and anger. Anger, an infectious disease that has been spreading throughout mankind for centuries.
  39. SusanS.
    Nov 1, 2003
    With those who say this movie is not scary, I had to half-way agree; it's more tragic than scary, but there were plenty of moments when I found myself holding my breath. This is an excellent portrayal of people who are surviving, and what people can be driven to. I enjoyed the sketchy editing--it definitely set the mood. This movie is not so much for people looking for a cheap With those who say this movie is not scary, I had to half-way agree; it's more tragic than scary, but there were plenty of moments when I found myself holding my breath. This is an excellent portrayal of people who are surviving, and what people can be driven to. I enjoyed the sketchy editing--it definitely set the mood. This movie is not so much for people looking for a cheap scare--you will get bored...this movie drips with suspense, but not always the kind with people walking around dark corners to scary violin music--that's predictable; this movie engaged me much more. Expand
  40. Marcwantstobeascarywoodlandanimal
    Oct 22, 2003
    Rips off oh so many Zombie flick's but it's done with great style that you don't really care. Someone on this page said that it only appeals to 'chin stroking art students' I am not a student nor do i stroke my chin. But the person who said that spent far to much time stroking something else in his bedroom for his brain to evolve or to even give a decent cuss at Rips off oh so many Zombie flick's but it's done with great style that you don't really care. Someone on this page said that it only appeals to 'chin stroking art students' I am not a student nor do i stroke my chin. But the person who said that spent far to much time stroking something else in his bedroom for his brain to evolve or to even give a decent cuss at the audience of this film so here i am down on his level telling you this is a bloody good movie. Expand
  41. Albumental
    Jun 17, 2003
    Look, the story may not be mindblowingly original (but when did you last see a genre movie that was?) but it's a big bag of fun and looks a treat. Good characters and a particularly nasty turn from Chris Ecclestone (why doesn't this guy get more work in the money movies?) Don't expect a life changing revelation from this horror movie and you'll have some good jumps and Look, the story may not be mindblowingly original (but when did you last see a genre movie that was?) but it's a big bag of fun and looks a treat. Good characters and a particularly nasty turn from Chris Ecclestone (why doesn't this guy get more work in the money movies?) Don't expect a life changing revelation from this horror movie and you'll have some good jumps and a great time! Expand
  42. SteveH.
    Jun 30, 2003
    This movie has very good acting and creative imagery to tell the story. The only problem is that the storyline and editing are a bit too bizare for the average viewer. I must say that is does surpass American made films in this genre.
  43. BrianH.
    Jun 30, 2003
    Truly gripping film. a viral apocalypse that empties london -- visually and conceptually stunning. plus, i can't remember a movie where the gore kept eeking me out me all the way through like this one did... really smart & captivating performances too... see it, not perfect, but so much more interesting than any other 'scary' movie i've seen at the theater in years...Truly gripping film. a viral apocalypse that empties london -- visually and conceptually stunning. plus, i can't remember a movie where the gore kept eeking me out me all the way through like this one did... really smart & captivating performances too... see it, not perfect, but so much more interesting than any other 'scary' movie i've seen at the theater in years... plus, the humor throughout doesn't cramp itself with selfawareness... really good... Expand
  44. ZakG.
    Jun 30, 2003
    Brilliant, terrifying, great film. Incredibly well-directed, powerfully acted. The best film I have seen so far this year.
  45. JoshuaW.
    Jun 30, 2003
    [***Potential Spoilers***] 28 Days Later is the best film I've seen yet this summer. The acting, writing, cinematography, music were all top notch. As a horror film this one is a one of a kind. Its real ability to scare its audience has little to do with typical horror movie conventions, although it does manage a moment here and there, such as the church scene (especially the moment[***Potential Spoilers***] 28 Days Later is the best film I've seen yet this summer. The acting, writing, cinematography, music were all top notch. As a horror film this one is a one of a kind. Its real ability to scare its audience has little to do with typical horror movie conventions, although it does manage a moment here and there, such as the church scene (especially the moment when ..... [reference deleted]). However, this film's perspective on human nature is where it achieves the most scares. From the well meaning animal rights group in the beginning of the film to Jim's rampage at its end (which has entered into my all time favorite movie scenes), no one in this film is free of sin, an inherently violent nature or accountability for their actions. The Rage disease is just a medium for human nature to act out it's most primal inclinations, which seems to be aimed at harming other human beings. The third section of the film which takes place at a manor house under the "protection" of a small military group only confirms these tendancies. The soldiers actions towards our heroes (especially the women) drives home the idea that humans don't need to necessarily be infected with Rage to canabalize upon each other. Expand
  46. P.P.
    Jul 1, 2003
    Nearly perfect horror flick. Cinematography, sound effects, and soundtrack mesh together extraordinarily well. I haven't been this scared from a film since The Shining. It creeps you out in a psychological way, not just guts and gore; although it has its fair share of that. The story delves into thoughts of the darker side of human nature, but who cares about all that when the movie Nearly perfect horror flick. Cinematography, sound effects, and soundtrack mesh together extraordinarily well. I haven't been this scared from a film since The Shining. It creeps you out in a psychological way, not just guts and gore; although it has its fair share of that. The story delves into thoughts of the darker side of human nature, but who cares about all that when the movie is so much fun? Expand
  47. DrSteve
    Jul 5, 2003
    A story well-told. It differed from the typical horror flick in showing less gore. I found no great parable or message in it that some of the national reviewers seem to want to find. Drags at times.
  48. ChrisN.
    Aug 4, 2003
    This Movie is not bad. Very original story. Good movie with wonderful pictures, but dont think it is a great horror movie. I thought i will see a splatter movie when i went to cinema, but i saw an interesting and original horror. The actors are good.
  49. JayG.
    Aug 6, 2003
    Once again the folks who put together the commercials and trailers sold this movie as something else that it truly is. This movie does not belong in the horror genre. 28 days later is a drama/suspense flick. The plot while not being original (what is anymore), was well written and executed. For those who want something more in a movie other than guts and blood flying out of various Once again the folks who put together the commercials and trailers sold this movie as something else that it truly is. This movie does not belong in the horror genre. 28 days later is a drama/suspense flick. The plot while not being original (what is anymore), was well written and executed. For those who want something more in a movie other than guts and blood flying out of various orifices, 28 days is thought provoking as it beautifully done. Expand
  50. RobertA.
    Jul 7, 2004
    Wow! this movie is best watched by yourself in a dark room. i just did and now i am a little paranoid. i enjoyed this film from beginning to end. but one part made me a little bit icky feeling...when the main guy jabs his thumbs into anothers guy's eyes. OUCH!!!. besides that part. this movie rocked my socks off. rob.
    Jan 8, 2005
    I really enjoyed this movie but let me ask what the hell is wrong with the critics and people stating that this is a zombie movie. These people are infected by a rage virus not zombies.
  52. JesusG.
    Apr 18, 2005
    This is a very energetic and the most terrifying film of the year. But when it's not showing us disturbing images it shows you the side of nature and human life. This is the most weirdest and scariest movie to come along the side of "May".
  53. MirandaM.
    Oct 20, 2003
    I think that this film was great; the photography was exce'lent, and the shots of the infected was the best i´ve seen. The story wasn´t too intelligent, but it was well taken to the cinemas. i also think that the people that say "i dont like it" is the people that only enjoy the beach, and dont understand a life less ordinary, or trainspotting, from boyle. how many of youI think that this film was great; the photography was exce'lent, and the shots of the infected was the best i´ve seen. The story wasn´t too intelligent, but it was well taken to the cinemas. i also think that the people that say "i dont like it" is the people that only enjoy the beach, and dont understand a life less ordinary, or trainspotting, from boyle. how many of you understand the analogy between the virus, the infected people in the movie, and the people that continuos see the violence in the cnn news?. please! stop seeing movies like scream, and watch something a bit more clever, just like this triller. i said! Expand
  54. CourtK.
    Oct 22, 2003
    For those who have ever played "Slint Hill" for the Sony Playstation, they will find this movie highly predictable and unoriginal. I found it very boring, and the only thing that I did like about this movie was some of the symbolism used. I you must go see it, but I don't recommend it.
  55. AlisonM.
    Oct 20, 2003
    Best movie ever.
  56. NancyP.
    Jun 30, 2003
    An awesome horror flick with the added bonus of no screaming teen-agers!
  57. 8Ball
    Jun 30, 2003
    Yo, this movie scared the black out of me! I gotta give it an 8, cuz I'm still 8 Ball...
  58. EricT.
    Jul 10, 2003
    There really is something to be said about a film that won't go away from your memories these days. I was expecting a good, scary horror flick. What I got far surpassed my expectations. There is something strangely moving about this film that I can't seem to put my finger on. Yes, there are horrific images and sounds surrounding you in the theater, but once you steel yourself There really is something to be said about a film that won't go away from your memories these days. I was expecting a good, scary horror flick. What I got far surpassed my expectations. There is something strangely moving about this film that I can't seem to put my finger on. Yes, there are horrific images and sounds surrounding you in the theater, but once you steel yourself against the frightening moments (if you can) you are taken on a ride of survival, and, ultimately, hope alongside some pretty solid characters. All in all, even if you're not a fan of scary movies, this one's worth the price of admission. Expand
  59. Aenima
    Jul 16, 2003
    Great horror flick. Easily the scariest movie since The Blair Witch Project. If your sick of all the crappy teeny-bopper "horror" flicks that have been coming out for years, then 28 Days Later is the answer to your problems. Great acting and brilliant horror scenes. Its only faults are being a bit too long, a bit formulatic, and not really persistent enough with the scary scenes. If you Great horror flick. Easily the scariest movie since The Blair Witch Project. If your sick of all the crappy teeny-bopper "horror" flicks that have been coming out for years, then 28 Days Later is the answer to your problems. Great acting and brilliant horror scenes. Its only faults are being a bit too long, a bit formulatic, and not really persistent enough with the scary scenes. If you like horror movies, you will like this. Thumbs up. Expand
  60. Harris
    Jul 1, 2003
    As far as horror, or other, movies go, this is one of the best I have seen. The cinemetography, acting, script, directing, etc. were all superb. I *almost* even had a hard time watching the brutal violence in a couple scenes as well. The soundtrack was also a perfect compliment to the scenes and was mixed in perfectly. I was a bit discouraged when I started finding some people panning As far as horror, or other, movies go, this is one of the best I have seen. The cinemetography, acting, script, directing, etc. were all superb. I *almost* even had a hard time watching the brutal violence in a couple scenes as well. The soundtrack was also a perfect compliment to the scenes and was mixed in perfectly. I was a bit discouraged when I started finding some people panning this movie, but then I read the comments and I realized the bad reviews were mostly written in incomplete sentences with atrocious spelling. If you didn't like it, try to ask yourself what you are looking for in a movie.... Is it $100 million in special effects or is it quality and articulation? Don't go out and see movies like Charlie's Angels or The Hulk and maybe we will start seeing more movies of this caliber instead of that big-budget, slapped together garbage. Expand
  61. KatieP.
    Jul 4, 2003
    The movie was very good! Best horror I've seen since The Ring. Although I found The Ring scarier, 28 Days Later was better because it was more logical and delt with morals.
  62. MarcK.
    Aug 10, 2003
    I am completely baffled as to all the extremely positive reviews this film has received. As some here have noted, it starts out interesting, but the plot twists in the last half hour were ridiculous. I applaud the chances this film took...I just didn't think it was very good.
  63. MichaelN.
    Aug 16, 2003
    Didn't find this movie scary at all but still really like the movie, as it gave a good detailed picture of what would happen if something like this virus did brake out but then again nothing like this could happen but in movies... no such thing of zombies and infected people killing others for food (if you get what I mean)
  64. GregB.
    Sep 17, 2003
    Story line for 10 mins then hours of boring gore and no structure If the writer was trying to make a point - it was beyond anyone I saw the film with. I want my money back!
  65. AbbyH.
    Dec 1, 2004
    This movie is one of the best from the zombie collection. I have it both on DVD & VHS. I love how it isn't like the other zombie movie. I mean, Dawn of the Dead was good but, spend too much time in that mall. GREAT.
  66. MikeF.
    Apr 1, 2004
    Worst movie I have ever seen. The first movie I wanted to walk out on, but had the patience to wait it out, BIG mistake.
  67. Anthony
    Apr 3, 2004
    This is a great movie from Danny Boyle and Alax Garland. This is not your striaght up horror movie that I'm sure many of the other reviewers thought it was trying to be. And this is not Dawn of the Dead '04 (Side note: Dawn of the Dead '79 is better than the remake, go see it) 28 days later is a horror movie with a heart. It is very well put together and done so with so This is a great movie from Danny Boyle and Alax Garland. This is not your striaght up horror movie that I'm sure many of the other reviewers thought it was trying to be. And this is not Dawn of the Dead '04 (Side note: Dawn of the Dead '79 is better than the remake, go see it) 28 days later is a horror movie with a heart. It is very well put together and done so with so much care that it really comes across on-screen. This is less of a "zombie" movie and more of an "end of the world" movie. If you like movies - not just shoot'em up hang'em high ones - you'll like 28 days later. Expand
  68. Kostas
    May 30, 2004
    The introduction of this movie is just majestic (i felt into catatonia )!!!
  69. woutielion
    May 29, 2005
    This is a great movie. For all of you who don't understand; the film supposed to be grainy. It's shot with a digital cam to give it a raw look. And that worked perfect. The musical score is superb and so is the story, cause it can be real (instead of all those dumb horror movie's) Another great thing in this movie is scene in the abandoned Londen. Londen looks deserted, This is a great movie. For all of you who don't understand; the film supposed to be grainy. It's shot with a digital cam to give it a raw look. And that worked perfect. The musical score is superb and so is the story, cause it can be real (instead of all those dumb horror movie's) Another great thing in this movie is scene in the abandoned Londen. Londen looks deserted, that's amazing en great, it really got me. So see this one! Ps all supermarkets have a backup battery (a huge one) to maintain power when there's no electricity (to keep the food good). Expand
  70. KeetonJ.
    May 12, 2007
    This movie is more than a zombie horror flick if you ask me. It really revolutionized the apocalyptic thriller in many places. It's much more fast-paced in that the "zombies" if you will, don't hobble after you and moan. They sprint and the chances of survival are much less. There's also an eerie feeling a claustrophobia at the beginning of the movie, even though the main This movie is more than a zombie horror flick if you ask me. It really revolutionized the apocalyptic thriller in many places. It's much more fast-paced in that the "zombies" if you will, don't hobble after you and moan. They sprint and the chances of survival are much less. There's also an eerie feeling a claustrophobia at the beginning of the movie, even though the main character is out in the open with London to himself. It also creates characters that you begin to love, and hate. There's a thing about how people killing people is how it's always been and that they're in a state of normality even with the crazies running around. One of my favorite horror/thrillers I've seen, and I can't wait to see the sequel. Expand
  71. RD.
    May 28, 2007
    Very good zombie movie. Scary in parts and has a good social commentary.
  72. FaisalH.
    Sep 18, 2007
    A new take on the zombie genre, and a very successful one. 28 Days Later is a great movie, from its unique storyline, beautiful camera-angles, and well-written characters, the film's greatest strength is the fact that the characters involved are so human, unlike the superhero characters you might have seen in other movies like Resident Evil, these characters behave in ways we would A new take on the zombie genre, and a very successful one. 28 Days Later is a great movie, from its unique storyline, beautiful camera-angles, and well-written characters, the film's greatest strength is the fact that the characters involved are so human, unlike the superhero characters you might have seen in other movies like Resident Evil, these characters behave in ways we would have in situations like these, so it is easy to attach to them. The only flaw in the film is that it loses some of it's strengths in the second half for a while, but that can easily be overlooked considering what a quality product 28 Days Later is. Recommended for any horror movie fan who wants to see something different than the usual shoot-em-up. Expand
  73. Thorne
    Nov 1, 2003
    Being a big fan of films like "Outbreak", and survival horror films in general, I was very excited about going to see this film. By the looks of the trailers, it appeared that it would provide everything that I could ask for from a survival horror type film, but I'm sorry to report that it falls a bit short. If you go in knowing exactly what to epect, you probably could enjoy this Being a big fan of films like "Outbreak", and survival horror films in general, I was very excited about going to see this film. By the looks of the trailers, it appeared that it would provide everything that I could ask for from a survival horror type film, but I'm sorry to report that it falls a bit short. If you go in knowing exactly what to epect, you probably could enjoy this movie. I'd like to say that this isn't a horror movie, I'd actually describe it as a tragic drama. If you go in with that mind-set, you might get more pleasure from the film. Collapse
  74. Bobby
    Nov 28, 2003
    This is one of the best movies to come out in 2003. how does it get better than this? with that load of crap "cat in the hat"? wait, how about "gigli"?
  75. Elliott
    Nov 6, 2003
    In summary, it's gorgeous. It's less about zombies than survival after the apocalypse. The cinematography is exceptional, the acting convincing, the camera placement ingenious, and the story, well, is consistently intriguing. It is a nearly-perfect horror film, if you choose to label it that way; I consider it a all-around great film, without any labels.
  76. BarryH.
    Oct 17, 2003
    Gritty, funny, zombie horror think-flick. Rockin.
  77. ChrisS.
    Dec 1, 2003
    One of the best movies I have ever seen! It gives a sense of reality making you think it could almost happen given the right circumstances.It makes me angry when people rat on this movie. They say "infected with rage" that is stupid how can you be infected with rage.This is only because they dont understnad the deeper meaning. Man can destroy himself without viruses and wepons all it One of the best movies I have ever seen! It gives a sense of reality making you think it could almost happen given the right circumstances.It makes me angry when people rat on this movie. They say "infected with rage" that is stupid how can you be infected with rage.This is only because they dont understnad the deeper meaning. Man can destroy himself without viruses and wepons all it needs is rage......... Expand
  78. S.A.
    Dec 2, 2003
    This movie waz absolutely AMAZING!! I LUVED this movie soooooo much!!! I am a horror flick freak, and this was the BEST horror movie EVER!!! I encourage all the horror flick lovers who can stand blood to see this movie!!!
  79. PIRANHAG.
    Dec 3, 2003
    It´s amazing how a low buget movie can be so good at every aspect the bad thing are some chracters that are unexxpirienced but still it´s GOOD.
  80. AndrewS.
    Oct 25, 2003
    Great!!
  81. RachelW.
    Oct 27, 2003
    For readers of Laurie Garrett, Berton Roueche, or even Camus this is a film to see. As a person who normally despises the horror genre, 28 Days Later brought home the alienation factor.
  82. RickR.
    Jun 24, 2003
    Chilling. I've seen the movie dozens of times [Ed: He has, believe him.], and it never ceases to disturb. Treats the zombie genre with intense realism (a la Night of the Living Dead as opposed to Dawn of the Dead) and is (mostly) successful.
  83. JamieH.
    Jun 28, 2003
    Was a mind trip with a capital T. Love horror films but this was genius. The sound and imagery was disturbing, but what would you expect in the genre. I really feel this is one is a classic and a must see.
  84. Ishii
    Jul 1, 2003
    I rode my bike for half an hour to see this movie. Plus, I'm 16 so I had to sneak into the theatre, but it was worth it. It was creepy for the ENTIRE movie. Way better than Resident Evil.
  85. ScottM.
    Jul 12, 2003
    I went into the movie theater excited about the movie. The movie was not as scary as I thought it would be but instead far more deeper and meaningful. It was disturbing though. But it also has a lot of humour. If you like horror movies at all go see it.
  86. It'sOnlyGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jul 13, 2003
    Very, very, very nice. Best British horror movie since...since...name another one, basically. Even though it descends into shooty-bang-bang a bit at the end...and the final scene is the cop-out of the century...it's still one of the most truely frightening films ever to come out of this little two-bit island nation. So there.
  87. Lodde
    Jul 14, 2003
    When I left the theater, I realized that I had just witnessed quite an extraordinary film, and in hindsight will give it even more credit for leaving such a profound impact. This movie is INTENSE to say the least, the story and suspense really keep interest, and the victims of the virus will scare the living crap out of most people. Definitely recommended to anyone who wants to see a When I left the theater, I realized that I had just witnessed quite an extraordinary film, and in hindsight will give it even more credit for leaving such a profound impact. This movie is INTENSE to say the least, the story and suspense really keep interest, and the victims of the virus will scare the living crap out of most people. Definitely recommended to anyone who wants to see a great suspense / horror, the best I have seen since I can remember. Expand
  88. ChadS.
    Jul 4, 2003
    If "28 Days Later" followed through, rather than just hinted at the ideas in Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", we might've had a minor masterpiece on our hands. Sadly, the makers of this film has its commercial obligations, so it ends in a very long sequence of murders at a military compound. But the journey to this rudimentary stab at civilization is a very engaging If "28 Days Later" followed through, rather than just hinted at the ideas in Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", we might've had a minor masterpiece on our hands. Sadly, the makers of this film has its commercial obligations, so it ends in a very long sequence of murders at a military compound. But the journey to this rudimentary stab at civilization is a very engaging one. The four survivors look so desolate in the barren landscape. There's a gorgeous image witnessed and commented upon by the Brendan Gleeson character that may make your heart stop. What the ads don't tell you is that "28 Days Later" is not really a horror film. I think the zombies are more objects of pity, rather than fear. It's too bad their journey had to bring them into contact with the soldiers(who are the real monsters in the film). And then the filmmakers want to make the heavy-handed comment that man's worst enemy is themselves. But "28 Days Later" is a very welcome addition to the summer of suck, that is the blockbuster season. It's really an art-house film that went wide. Expand
  89. C.T.
    Jul 6, 2003
    Loved it! Loved the way it was filmed, plot (yeah it is Dawn of the Dead, but better) & the setting. Of course it has some flaws but it did get your heart pumping. Great stuff!
  90. JackL.
    Aug 20, 2003
    It's ok for teens, the pros tuck into chocolate bars and pepsi without the faintest hint of guilt and when the first adult comes by he happens to be father Christmas! An always rewarding Brendan Gleeson. Lines are perfunctory. Digital stylization here and there doesn't make for much auteurship. Boyle and the lazy Garland know where the money is and go right for it. It's It's ok for teens, the pros tuck into chocolate bars and pepsi without the faintest hint of guilt and when the first adult comes by he happens to be father Christmas! An always rewarding Brendan Gleeson. Lines are perfunctory. Digital stylization here and there doesn't make for much auteurship. Boyle and the lazy Garland know where the money is and go right for it. It's middling inconsequential fun, so why are so many critics gushing over it? Expand
  91. BenW.
    Aug 28, 2003
    It certainly wasn't scary, but it was definitely shocking, but not in a gory sense of shocking. shocking came to mind in the last 20 minutes of the film, but also, brilliant was a word that came to mind. so much shit has been put out this year, i'm calling this one of the best movies of 2003, unless the texas chainsaw massacre remake proves me wrong.
  92. NoelT.
    Sep 23, 2003
    Don't look foward to see a horror movie cause this is not a horror movie this is a drama/suspense movie. The good: Great direction: I like the use of the handheld dv camera instantly becomes more real with a handheld camera than some 40 thousand dollar camera on a tripod. Makeup: The "zombies" or "infected" have a great look about them. I did not want to see "zombies" with their arms Don't look foward to see a horror movie cause this is not a horror movie this is a drama/suspense movie. The good: Great direction: I like the use of the handheld dv camera instantly becomes more real with a handheld camera than some 40 thousand dollar camera on a tripod. Makeup: The "zombies" or "infected" have a great look about them. I did not want to see "zombies" with their arms out moaning wearing businness suits and walking well you know like a zombie. Story; The main story is not some guy escaping from zombies or trying to find a cure. Cant tell you what it is, so go see it. Lots of good writing like in the middle when the charects are sitting down for dinner. "what if this is the end of mankind" "well mankinds presence in this world in the long run is just the blink of an eye, so if mankind is destroyed it will be a return to normality" The Bad: So many pepsi product placements in the first half and hour. Everyone who gave this movie a 5 or below is a ****ing moron, who would rather watch scary movie, or scooby doo the movie to fill their need for suspense. Expand
    Nov 20, 2004
    Gory with some genuinely scary and suspenseful moments. the part in the kitchen scared the s... out of me. i liked that more often than not it was the threat of the infected attacking instead of them actually attacking. a good premise, gory, dark, suspenseful, occasionally scary, decent characters, overall not bad.
  94. AndrewS.
    Jan 29, 2004
    Great!!
  95. AllanT.
    Mar 23, 2004
    I think this is one of those movies that you either love or hate... and I love it!
  96. Paul
    Aug 12, 2004
    This movie was great! You idiots who think this movie was horrible are just upset that this movie, unlike Dawn of the Dead (horrible movie) made you think (unless you're talking about the kind of thinking like "What the hell is going on?" or "When the hell is this going to end?"). This film represents a genre of horror film a step ahead of the rest - one that requires thought. This movie was great! You idiots who think this movie was horrible are just upset that this movie, unlike Dawn of the Dead (horrible movie) made you think (unless you're talking about the kind of thinking like "What the hell is going on?" or "When the hell is this going to end?"). This film represents a genre of horror film a step ahead of the rest - one that requires thought. It's ingenuity is superb. Expand
  97. Vinny
    Jan 29, 2005
    Awesome movie...great story, acting, sound effects, and all around shock value...amazing movie you should see --- Vinny
  98. Will
    Jun 27, 2006
    28 Days Later remains my favorite movie of all time. Not only does it have some of the most amazing camera angles and artistic shots, It's intensity is absolutely unmatched. Cillian Murphy and Naomie Harris are simply superb as well. Many people who see this movie fail to understand that it's not just a stupid zombie flick. 28 days later is far more; it's an intelligent 28 Days Later remains my favorite movie of all time. Not only does it have some of the most amazing camera angles and artistic shots, It's intensity is absolutely unmatched. Cillian Murphy and Naomie Harris are simply superb as well. Many people who see this movie fail to understand that it's not just a stupid zombie flick. 28 days later is far more; it's an intelligent study of the human psyche and how we're mentally affected by danger. The cinematography in 28 days later is equally impressive; the colors and filtering used in the camera work are nothing short of breathtaking. If you have any interest in horror movies, or for that matter movies at all you owe it to yourself to immediately rent or (preferably) buy 28 days later. Expand
  99. ChrisW.
    Jul 28, 2006
    Gripping all the way through. Very dark and interesting movie. Well made for a film on a small budget. Thought the ending was a bit pox as it really did not answer many questions.
  100. AliciaO.
    Mar 15, 2007
    This movie is so much more than just some horror flick. It delves deep into the human mind and shows us what we are really fighting in the world today, human nature. The change from man against beast to man against man was magnificent, and really showed the underlying theme of the movie.

1. Around about the third act, the picture does what no self-respecting virus ever would -- relents, turns confused, and lets our immune system fight back with thoughts of its own, with distracting cavils about the logic of the plot and the slightness of the themes.
  2. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    The look of the film, shot on digital video, is haunting and gritty. The cleaner, prettier look of 35mm would have detracted from the immediacy and sense of foreboding created in this artful blend of sci-fi and pseudo-realism.
    Cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle, a veteran of low-tech Dogme films, work wonders with a digital camera, pausing to take in the beauty of the countryside or an eerily empty London…It's virtuosic without ever quite being showy.