7.5

1. May 22, 2015
    Very good movie. Didn't enjoy the cinematography or some of the shaky camerawork. The character development was excellent. I found this to be a still fresh take on a zombie movie.
  2. Apr 25, 2015
    The end of the world has always simultaneously fascinated and repulsed human beings. No less an authority than the Bible devotes entire books to the last days. And, since almost the beginning of science fiction, the apocalypse has been a popular subject. In fact, one of the most common science fiction subgenres (which gained popularity during the early Cold War era of the 1950s) is that ofThe end of the world has always simultaneously fascinated and repulsed human beings. No less an authority than the Bible devotes entire books to the last days. And, since almost the beginning of science fiction, the apocalypse has been a popular subject. In fact, one of the most common science fiction subgenres (which gained popularity during the early Cold War era of the 1950s) is that of the post-apocalyptic survivor - an individual who lives through some kind of catastrophe (often a nuclear war) and must make his way through the hostile environment that exists in its wake.

Danny Boyle, the director of Shallow Grave and Trainspotting, has brought his off-center perspective to this story. Armed with a screenplay written by Alex Garland, Boyle's vision of humanity's twilight has mankind wiped out not by fire, brimstone, and nuclear fallout, but by disease. The living are divided into two categories: the infected, who are more like mindless zombies than human beings, and the survivalists, who eschew making plans, realizing that "staying alive is as good as it gets." The allegorical nature of the movie is impossible to miss. And Boyle touches upon such potentially weighty matters as the fundamental difference between man and beast, and whether human beings are natural killers.

The first half of 28 Days Later is a road movie, as Jim and his companions make their way from London to Manchester using deserted highways and facing nearly constant attacks from roving bands of the infected. The second half is a more straightforward action/adventure. The film contains one significant twist, and Boyle adeptly blends elements of horror and drama with the science fiction. In fact, one of the things that sets this movie apart from many similar cinematic endeavors is its focus on characters rather than action. The movie develops Jim, Selena, Frank, and Hannah into believable individuals. The situation is crafted in a way that seems almost plausible, and, once it establishes the rules, never cheats. The film's "villains" have credible reasons for acting as they do, and the ending doesn't feel cheap or false.

When Boyle wants to shock us, he has no trouble doing so. There's a little of George A. Romero (Night of the Living Dead) here. Several scenes in which the infected attack are genuinely creepy. One sequence in particular - in which Jim and Frank race to change a tire while a band of infected relentlessly approach - generates as much tension as any other 2003 motion picture. This is followed in short order by an effective character building sequence in which the protagonists enjoy a picnic while ruminating about what, if anything, the future might hold. Suddenly, Jim and Selena have become aware that the mantra of "just survive" is not enough.

I enjoyed 28 Days Later, although I would be the first to admit that it doesn't do much that's radical. It's better than most post-apocalypse stories because it cares as much about the characters and their circumstances as with developing battles and action sequences. Three of the primary actors - Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, and Megan Burns - are mostly unknown on this side of the Atlantic. The two recognizable faces - Brendan Gleeson and Christopher Eccleston - are character actors, not stars. Yet, perhaps because of the relative anonymity of the performers, the ensemble works.

28 Days Later is dark, the video quality is dubious (it was shot on digital video to curtail cost and provide a grittier look), and the subject matter is familiar. But the filmmakers counter these questionable qualities with solid performances, an intelligent script, and sure-handed direction. The result is a movie that kept me involved from start to finish.
  3. Mar 21, 2015
    The best zombie movie I have ever seen. It was good enough to merit a sequel, 28 weeks later, which is also amazing. Those two and dawn of the dead really are the best zombie movies out there.
  4. Dec 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very emotion filled zombie story, and is quite amazing. These aren't just movies, they have a bit of truth to them. It show's that our government wouldn't give a flying f*ck if something like this were to happen. This movie though, was so sad at points, yet so happy. And the happy end made it all worth it. It is a MASTERPIECE worth checking out. Definitely rent/watch/buy it if you get the chance! It was very sad when they killed Mark (the british guy with Selena) and when they killed Frank (Hannah's dad) Frank could've avoided being killed by not kicking the post with the dead body on top.. He was asking for infected blood to get in his eye. Definitely a WONDERFUL movie! I loved it, one of the BEST yet! And definitely on my personal Top 20 Movies List Expand
  5. Nov 5, 2014
    This movie is awesome, and the only thing that stopped me from rating it a 10 was the lack of special effects. I think it could of been much better in that department, but aside from that the movie was brilliant. It had some good acting and kept you on your seat for most of the movie because you never knew what to expect. I know at times when I saw the zombies coming I would get into theThis movie is awesome, and the only thing that stopped me from rating it a 10 was the lack of special effects. I think it could of been much better in that department, but aside from that the movie was brilliant. It had some good acting and kept you on your seat for most of the movie because you never knew what to expect. I know at times when I saw the zombies coming I would get into the movie and get on the edge of my seat and I'd be saying: RUN! So it does capture the audience watching it and it's worth watching. Expand
  6. Sep 3, 2014
    There are good zombie films and there are bad ones. There are good movies featuring Cillian Murphy and there are bad ones. 28 Days Later is both a poor representation of exciting zombie-entertainment and Cillian Murphy's talents.
  7. May 15, 2014
    28 Days Later packs a solid punch for zombie-movie lovers, and even for the average moviegoer. Boyle's style of filmmaking is not something that I've ever liked, but I have to admit that the movie itself was pretty good. It is a razor sharp attack on the government, AND a terrifying zombie movie. But style aside, Boyle knows how to make movies work, and this one definitely does.
  8. Jan 2, 2014
    Hands down, the best horror movie ever made since The Shining in 1980. Danny Boyle proves his versatility as a director with this movie, mixing a love story with real, intense scares. The scenery is memorable, as is the phenomenal John Murphy soundtrack. I highly recommend this movie. Also, in response to some of the negative comments on here, the cameras were intentionally rough until theHands down, the best horror movie ever made since The Shining in 1980. Danny Boyle proves his versatility as a director with this movie, mixing a love story with real, intense scares. The scenery is memorable, as is the phenomenal John Murphy soundtrack. I highly recommend this movie. Also, in response to some of the negative comments on here, the cameras were intentionally rough until the end of the movie. I felt it added confusion and harshness to the most intense parts. Expand
  9. Aug 31, 2013
    A classic zombie movie. One of the best horror pictures ever made. I really liked it and if you haven't seen it yet, you don't know what horror film means. Bravo!!! Shocking!!!
  10. Aug 26, 2013
    This movie was very, very boring. I was not impressed with the storyline or the acting. The movie contains a naked man laying on a hospital bed. Some language.
  11. May 9, 2013
    A truly great film that, in addition to being a horror film is also very dramatic, which makes us reflect on human violence. In fact the contagion occurred because of some monkeys infected with a strong form of anger. This has led to despair and in the movie is an example of the soldiers who have been the ultimate form of civilization and who are so desperate to behave in an inhumane way.A truly great film that, in addition to being a horror film is also very dramatic, which makes us reflect on human violence. In fact the contagion occurred because of some monkeys infected with a strong form of anger. This has led to despair and in the movie is an example of the soldiers who have been the ultimate form of civilization and who are so desperate to behave in an inhumane way. Interesting photography that gives us a picture of how both England after infection, and even the good direction. Expand
  12. Apr 10, 2013
    This movie was outstanding it has a very strong political message and it is very well structure Love the directing style for this film. David Boyle did an outstanding jib with directing it. The cast is good but the only problem is it might be boring to some people. Overall this film is one of my favorite zombie films, its different this movie isn't supposed to be action pack, this isThis movie was outstanding it has a very strong political message and it is very well structure Love the directing style for this film. David Boyle did an outstanding jib with directing it. The cast is good but the only problem is it might be boring to some people. Overall this film is one of my favorite zombie films, its different this movie isn't supposed to be action pack, this is the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. I love the multiply cam shots in the streets. You should watch this film if you like good movies. Expand
  13. Mar 30, 2013
    Definitely the best zombie movie ever. A true masterpiece. Deals more with human emotions related to survival instead of resorting to gore and violence. Only when you hold it in comparison against other zombie movies that you realize how genuine and thought provoking this movie was.
  14. Mar 28, 2013
    This is a pretty enjoyable film. It is slightly low-budget though, and you notice some moments that just doesn't make sense. The storyline itself is not very spectacular or very intense, but it is an enjoyable watch nontheless. I enjoyed it. It's not it's not great.
  15. Feb 23, 2013
    28 Days Later is the brain child of Director Danny Boyle, who has might quite a name for himself over the last few years. It is also another post apocalyptic film that plays into people's fear of the end of the world. Most of these movies suck, but Boyle knew this and made sure his movie didn't. 28 Days Later follows the life of a survivor (Cillian Murphy) who wakes up in an empty hospital28 Days Later is the brain child of Director Danny Boyle, who has might quite a name for himself over the last few years. It is also another post apocalyptic film that plays into people's fear of the end of the world. Most of these movies suck, but Boyle knew this and made sure his movie didn't. 28 Days Later follows the life of a survivor (Cillian Murphy) who wakes up in an empty hospital after an accident. He has no idea what's going on, but soon learns the horrible truth. Boyle decide to film the movie as if he were following this stranger from a distance, with an outdated camcorder. It gives the movie a grainy, dark, 70's style and fits right into the story. Cillian Murphy is great in his first leading role and you can see why he's now a name in Hollywood. Overall, it's pretty bloody and predictable, but defiantly not your typical end of the world film. The acting is top notch and the way it was filmed and directed make it something special. Expand
  16. Feb 2, 2013
    The Rage virus has wiped out nearly all of England, turning its infected into murderous killers driven only by their need to feed. Now, a handful of unlucky survivors are left to find an escape from the nationwide pandemic. In 2002, Danny Boyle shook the Horror genre with a refreshing new thriller that redefined the zombie movie and terrified audiences around the world. 28 DAYS LATERThe Rage virus has wiped out nearly all of England, turning its infected into murderous killers driven only by their need to feed. Now, a handful of unlucky survivors are left to find an escape from the nationwide pandemic. In 2002, Danny Boyle shook the Horror genre with a refreshing new thriller that redefined the zombie movie and terrified audiences around the world. 28 DAYS LATER offers a nihilistic world view in which humanity is the ultimate villain. Man's attempt to dissect and control nature is what caused the deadly virus, and while the infected mindlessly attack out of the primal need to feed, it is the living characters that kill out of fear, paranoia, and selfish desire. As best portrayed by the corrupted band of soldiers in the end of the film, it is darkest human emotions that drive home the suspense in 28 DAYS LATER, with the added horror of infected flesh-eaters running in the streets. The infected are unlike any of the undead that we have ever seen before. They are fast and ferocious, bursting through windows and tearing into their victims with a shocking speed. This would become a popular trend in the zombie films to follow, the most notable example being Zack Synder's frightening update to the Horror classic DAWN OF THE DEAD. Boyle's decision to shoot 28 DAYS LATER on a digital camera delivers a grim sense of reality, which is darkened even further by the dreary score. He also creates one of the defining moments in recent Horror as Jim walks aimlessly through the deserted streets of London. 28 DAYS LATER has a devastating effect on the viewer, and has proven to be one of the best films from the 2000's.

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  17. Jan 31, 2013
    Best zombie film of all time. Great pacing, great story, great zombies, full of suspense, realistic dialog, disturbing, morbid, and violent. What more do you need?
  18. Jan 23, 2013
    Although I thought the movie was great, it didn't actually scare me all that much. It was more of a thriller than it was a horror film. What really got me was the sheer brutality of it all, The ending was somewhat disappointing, but it can be overlooked.
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    Quite different to your American zombie movie as it focus more on survival rather than a zombie apocalypse. Lead by a great cast, in particular Naomie Harris who plays a bad-ass Selena. The zombies aren't even zombies, more-so humans infected with rage, which is a nice little twist on the genre. It is fairly slow-paced at times but tends to get quite exciting towards the end with a fewQuite different to your American zombie movie as it focus more on survival rather than a zombie apocalypse. Lead by a great cast, in particular Naomie Harris who plays a bad-ass Selena. The zombies aren't even zombies, more-so humans infected with rage, which is a nice little twist on the genre. It is fairly slow-paced at times but tends to get quite exciting towards the end with a few shocks in there. Overall an impressive zombie flick from the Brits that also delivered an impressive sequel! Expand
  20. Jan 12, 2013
    While the plot never even considers throwing the viewer any curve balls, the film shines on its unparalleled ability to set atmosphere, its talented actors, and its excellent dialogue. The overwhelming element of this film is fear; it's what drives both the protagonist and the antagonists, and it's what this film almost perfectly instills in its audience. The expert cinematography andWhile the plot never even considers throwing the viewer any curve balls, the film shines on its unparalleled ability to set atmosphere, its talented actors, and its excellent dialogue. The overwhelming element of this film is fear; it's what drives both the protagonist and the antagonists, and it's what this film almost perfectly instills in its audience. The expert cinematography and music very much make this movie what it is, hitting and emphasizing every emotional note perfectly. Expand
  21. Dec 10, 2012
    It's definitively not the best zombies movie out there, they did produced great movie scenarios and fair picture display, the story it's very good but at the same time the movie it's attractive and cliched. Cillian Murphy's acting performance does save some pieces of the movie but it wasn't enough.
  22. Nov 18, 2012
    The camera work is nothing short of genius. Too bad the budget was too low to pay for good quality cameras.
  23. Aug 25, 2012
    28 Days Later is quite simply one of, if not the best, zombie movies I have ever seen. The characters are well developed and fleshed out, and you really feel for them and hope they do survive. The film is violent, but doesn't go out of its way to be violent, rather than being non-stop graphic violence. And the story is actually semi-believable, the infected aren't dead bodies risen from28 Days Later is quite simply one of, if not the best, zombie movies I have ever seen. The characters are well developed and fleshed out, and you really feel for them and hope they do survive. The film is violent, but doesn't go out of its way to be violent, rather than being non-stop graphic violence. And the story is actually semi-believable, the infected aren't dead bodies risen from the dead, they are living people infected with a deadly incurable virus. I highly recommend this movie, extremely good. Expand
  24. Aug 13, 2012
    Danny Boyle is and has been Britain's best director since his ballsy masterpiece Trainspotting. Now he brings us 28 Days Later. The story of a man named Jim who awakes from a coma 28 days after a virus known as Rage has contaminated the Great British public. Along his way Jim makes new friends, realises that not even humans can be trusted in the end of the world and what precautions areDanny Boyle is and has been Britain's best director since his ballsy masterpiece Trainspotting. Now he brings us 28 Days Later. The story of a man named Jim who awakes from a coma 28 days after a virus known as Rage has contaminated the Great British public. Along his way Jim makes new friends, realises that not even humans can be trusted in the end of the world and what precautions are really being put in place to ensure the virus doesn't leave England. Expand
  25. Feb 5, 2012
    I think it is a very good movie for its genre. It was gripping, smart, and yeah...somehow realistic if situated in the right context. Virus, epidemies, all that can happen, we just never think that would happen to us, these days in our world. It is a movie where values are tested, so are relationships. There is gore, but I don't think it is unnecessary. I didn't like the fact that MarkI think it is a very good movie for its genre. It was gripping, smart, and yeah...somehow realistic if situated in the right context. Virus, epidemies, all that can happen, we just never think that would happen to us, these days in our world. It is a movie where values are tested, so are relationships. There is gore, but I don't think it is unnecessary. I didn't like the fact that Mark gets killed so early in the movie...I would have loved to know more about his character, which seemed pretty nice. There was room for improvement and there could have been a better argument about the use that 'women' had for the army guys. Just lust? what about a different approach..survival and preservation of the specie? I mean, at this point the movie turned a bit basic. I expected a more elaborated argument here for it could have become even more profound what was somehow wasted. this part of the movie is indeed, stereotypical but overall it was a film I enjoyed a lot. One thing I found really silly is not the movie, but comments/question I have read in other sites about why 'Frank left his credit card if that could have been of use, later?', c'mon,wasn't it a clearly sarcastic gesture related to the fact that money -given the circumstances- can be of not value at all? What kind of movie people that make those stupid remarks were watching? Keeping money, or a credit card to 'bribe someone' when the whole country is wiped out and the characters are permanently saying how money is totally useless? Quite honestly, questions or arguments like that used to criticize this movie make me feel sorry for some people's IQ...! Expand
  26. Nov 3, 2011
    Danny Boyle's post-modern zombie flick is quite rightly acclaimed. It's tense, scary and thoroughly British. You follow a group of well-developed characters that you actually care about (a rarity for a horror film) and you genuinely feel for their plight. The real strength of 28 Days is its use of contrast in tone - Boyle gives you a good scare, then gradually lulls you into a false senseDanny Boyle's post-modern zombie flick is quite rightly acclaimed. It's tense, scary and thoroughly British. You follow a group of well-developed characters that you actually care about (a rarity for a horror film) and you genuinely feel for their plight. The real strength of 28 Days is its use of contrast in tone - Boyle gives you a good scare, then gradually lulls you into a false sense of security again with an extended period of calm, making the next scare all the more shocking. The middle act of the film essentially resembles a jolly family road trip, making the jet-black finale all the more disturbing. Boyle has plenty of opportunity to show off as a director, and with some arty cinematography and rapid-fire editing, he continues to prove himself to be a true artisan. The crowning jewel of 28 Days Later is definitely the finale, which is a dazzling stylish sequence that evolves into something you'd never see in a mainstream Hollywood horror film. With some great performances, loads of scares and bucket-loads of style, 28 Days Later is a truly spectacular alternative British horror film. Expand
  27. Nov 2, 2011
    I sound like a broken record at the moment because yet again 28 Days later is a film of two halves. the first is slow but does build the characters in a way that makes the latter half pack an emotional punch as well as a visceral one.

The 2nd half of 28 Days is just so good you can excuse the slow nature of the first 45 minutes even if it does serve a purpose towards the end. However the best thing about 28 Days Later is its a film making a point but it never feels heavy handed or as if its being force fed to you. The idea that the real monsters are the humans is a point made by Danny Boyle so adeptly that the film leaves you thinking at the end about society now and what would happen in a national emergency (at least, I did). The direction is also incredibly ambitious despite the limited budget (which unfortunately is incredibly noticeable) with shots including empty streets surrounding Westminster and the houses of parliament being extremely prolific and inspired. The cast of Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Brendan Gleeson and Megan Burns work well together and all give great performances, especially Gleeson as someone holding onto hope for the sake of his daughter. The final 20 minutes of the film is a fine example of how all films should end with the film culminating in an incredibly tense action set piece that provides genuine chills and scares while also shocking you to your core. Its a thrilling film which may take some getting into but by the end it is well worth it.
  28. Oct 19, 2011
    Sure, Danny Boyle's "28 Days Later" is a wonderful, gritty, realistic example of what the world would be if there was a zombie apocalypse (which I highly doubt). But except for the pure horror entertainment and several political satire, it's pretty much another linear zombie film that really isn't any different from Romero's.
  29. Oct 3, 2011
    The continuation of a great movie, no doubt loved to see the continuation that, fortunately, and unlike many sequels was not a copy of the first, a film is quite rich in terms of history and everything else, with new images, new scenes, and a completely worthy of a zombie film. I liked it, really. And it's pretty rare to me enjoying a movie, but just the story itself got my attention.
  30. Sep 4, 2011
    I think "28 Days Later" is, as critics use to say, an "emotionally satisfying" story. A thrilling film stuffed with action-packed scenes and good acting.
  31. Jul 3, 2011
    One of the very few zombie or horror films that are actually scary and suck you in into a post-apocalyptic world where you are helpless and scared to death.
  32. Jun 11, 2011
    I really enjoyed this! I liked the characters, and the acting was good. There wasn't quite enough gore for a zombie/apocalypse movie, but it was pretty intense just the same. The music was fantastic, and fit perfectly with what was going on.
  33. May 6, 2011
    Fantastic horror film. I daresay there hasn't been a zombie film this good since the original Dawn of the Dead. What really makes it work is the utterly desolate atmosphere, and the convincing desperation of the performers. Scary but not reliant on gore, this is a class act. One of the best horror films in decades.
  34. Mar 6, 2011
    This is the best zombie movie I've seen so far, it has great characters, plot, acting, and feel to it, while watching you feel like there is no hope for the characters, which makes them all the more enjoyable, a must see not just for zombie fans, but for fans of amazingly well made movies, every bit deserving of a perfect 10.
  35. Feb 3, 2011
    This was a great zombie movie ... I enjoyed the dynamic between the heroes and the twists that caused even more stress between the actors. One of my favorite zombie movies ever.
  36. Jan 9, 2011
    When I first heard about this movie I was pumped. I can NEVER get enough quality zombie/infection type movies if they are well done, and this is WELL done. Acting is solid, the effects/costumes/blood/gore as all very believable, some parts will get you angry tho and thats what I love about movies, some parts you just want to reach through the screen, kept my involved and entertainedWhen I first heard about this movie I was pumped. I can NEVER get enough quality zombie/infection type movies if they are well done, and this is WELL done. Acting is solid, the effects/costumes/blood/gore as all very believable, some parts will get you angry tho and thats what I love about movies, some parts you just want to reach through the screen, kept my involved and entertained throughout, same as 28 weeks later, BOTH quality infection/plague flicks that are a must watch for anyone a fan of those things. I wish theyd make more like this...! Collapse
  37. Jan 7, 2011
    The film explores the human's most basic needs and instincts. Among them are, the fight for one's individual survival at all costs, and the need for a perspective on the future of humankind, even if that would lead to detaining and raping the last few women. Interstingly, one of the characters in the movie claims that people have killed each other since the birth of humankind, and thatThe film explores the human's most basic needs and instincts. Among them are, the fight for one's individual survival at all costs, and the need for a perspective on the future of humankind, even if that would lead to detaining and raping the last few women. Interstingly, one of the characters in the movie claims that people have killed each other since the birth of humankind, and that therafter nothing has changed since the arrival of zombies. This claim is open for interpretation and might imply that our kind's rage against one another will eventually lead to our own apocalypse. Another character suggests that due to the short time men have inhabitated Earth, the world will go back to normalcy after the extinction of the humans. Nevertheless, the movie is by far not nihilistic, but also claims that love for one another is our most important need, and therefore gives life a purpose even in the most dire situations. A great, and at times intense, low budget movie. Expand
  38. Oct 18, 2010
    I'm a sucker for a good zombie/whatever/end of the world movie so you may already know how this review is going to go... Although I guess I can be somewhat picky in the zombie movies I like. Either way this was a good one. Basically the zombies were created due to a release of a virus (as always) but this one was "rage". Anyway, typical storyline of zombie world and story of survivors,I'm a sucker for a good zombie/whatever/end of the world movie so you may already know how this review is going to go... Although I guess I can be somewhat picky in the zombie movies I like. Either way this was a good one. Basically the zombies were created due to a release of a virus (as always) but this one was "rage". Anyway, typical storyline of zombie world and story of survivors, but this movie did do it a tad different. Or just really well. The last part of the movie was in my opinion pretty brilliant and unique in the terms of salvation didn't come through for them like they figured. Can't wait to watch the sequel. 4 out of 5.

39. Aug 14, 2010
    I really enjoyed this movie and the zombie origin story in provided. The actors in it do a great job. I was impressed with this one, and liked it equally as well as the second one.
  40. MikeD.
    Dec 24, 2009
    28 months after I watched this movie and I still think it's the worst movie of the last century. Not only is it boring but it lacks all horror/suspense. Do not watch. Save yourself the time.
  41. EdgarM.
    Mar 30, 2009
    Just another way to do a zombie movie. In this version a virus escapes because of a raid by PETA type activists on a research facility in the UK. Apparently the virus causes those who are infected to fly into a rage and dismember the first person they see. Sound familiar? Somehow, they attack only uninfected humans, not each other. But humankind may be safe after all since not one Just another way to do a zombie movie. In this version a virus escapes because of a raid by PETA type activists on a research facility in the UK. Apparently the virus causes those who are infected to fly into a rage and dismember the first person they see. Sound familiar? Somehow, they attack only uninfected humans, not each other. But humankind may be safe after all since not one infected person strays beyond the UK so the world is safe from Perfidious Albion's latest blunder. Nothing really connects. It's just another freak show with a happy ending, i.e., the lovers survive and the bad guys are all gone. Expand
  42. JeffC.
    Oct 25, 2008
    People who direct music videos shouldn't direct movies.
  43. MichaelR
    Mar 24, 2008
    Its passable.You're not missing anything horrifying if you don't see this movie.Its nowhere near as great as dawn of the dead which this movie seems to resemble only it has less zombies and a different ending.
  44. ChaseG.
    Mar 17, 2008
    To me, what Days has always held over the head of Weeks is simply this...mood. 28 Days Later has an unparalleled mood and style in its execution, in almost everything it does. It doesn't just describe events to you, like some movies do, but it portrays it in such a way that it's genuinely chilling and believable. In comparison to Weeks, Days doesn't hold what it has over To me, what Days has always held over the head of Weeks is simply this...mood. 28 Days Later has an unparalleled mood and style in its execution, in almost everything it does. It doesn't just describe events to you, like some movies do, but it portrays it in such a way that it's genuinely chilling and believable. In comparison to Weeks, Days doesn't hold what it has over you like a bludgeon, it doesn't attempt to beat you with the speed of the zombies, or the gore. But it places it in supreme positions in the film to have the utmost effect, at the climax, at the low-point, etc. And the best part about it, is that it manages to achieve a constant level of edginess, a constant thrill even when there's nothing on the screen, it manages all of this without a guitar-blasting soundtrack (however awesome the Weeks theme is) or cameras explicitly showing that zombies are just running at you, spewing blood as they go. In fact, you are often scared in this movie simply by the fact that you don't really see what's scaring you, which is a true sign of mastery in the genre. On the other end of the spectrum, all performances in this film are excellent, the chemistry between Seline and Jim is believable especially. All characters have an edge of sympathy, and portray to you that not everyone to survive the apocalypse will be beefy, bulky men with chain guns. It defies a lot of things that would be expected of it, and ditches all normal conventions, pulling it off with grace and poise. It's a must see for anyone who can stand the level of intensity. It's a must see for anyone who can stand the. Expand
  45. FaisalH.
    Sep 18, 2007
    A new take on the zombie genre, and a very successful one. 28 Days Later is a great movie, from its unique storyline, beautiful camera-angles, and well-written characters, the film's greatest strength is the fact that the characters involved are so human, unlike the superhero characters you might have seen in other movies like Resident Evil, these characters behave in ways we would A new take on the zombie genre, and a very successful one. 28 Days Later is a great movie, from its unique storyline, beautiful camera-angles, and well-written characters, the film's greatest strength is the fact that the characters involved are so human, unlike the superhero characters you might have seen in other movies like Resident Evil, these characters behave in ways we would have in situations like these, so it is easy to attach to them. The only flaw in the film is that it loses some of it's strengths in the second half for a while, but that can easily be overlooked considering what a quality product 28 Days Later is. Recommended for any horror movie fan who wants to see something different than the usual shoot-em-up. Expand
  46. John
    Sep 13, 2007
    I really loved this movie. Finally a movie with ass-kickingly fast zombies. But i see a lot of zero's up here and as I read i got the impression that most of those people didnt understand the movie so im gonna try to help some of the points the complained about. 1) Now the reason there is light in the supermarket is because if you look really closely you will find its not actually a I really loved this movie. Finally a movie with ass-kickingly fast zombies. But i see a lot of zero's up here and as I read i got the impression that most of those people didnt understand the movie so im gonna try to help some of the points the complained about. 1) Now the reason there is light in the supermarket is because if you look really closely you will find its not actually a ceiling, ok, its just one big hole. I bet u missed that. 2) They aren't zombies they are pissed off because its not really a "virus" its more like people are transferring periods to each other. 3) The reason they dont attack other infected is because once you get bit...well...i uhhhhh...yea...4) The army fellows didn't want to get with the little girl as a cure, but just to rebuild the entire human race with 9 guys ad 2 girls. So you see once you fully understand the movie, you'll love it that much more. Expand
  47. MattMcLovin
    Aug 22, 2007
    Awesomely made. 28 Days Later kicked major ass with a kick ass ending. Greatest infected person movie. Blows away the 2nd.
  48. NickA.
    Aug 20, 2007
    Shocking realism and some of the genre's most horrifying shots in recent years are captured perfectly by Boyle, who succeeds in creating genuine fear from the base of one of humanity's most elemental anxieties -- that which can tear a city such as London to the bare; the fear of an unknown viral pandemic. Released when it was, Boyle's already horror classic tackled this Shocking realism and some of the genre's most horrifying shots in recent years are captured perfectly by Boyle, who succeeds in creating genuine fear from the base of one of humanity's most elemental anxieties -- that which can tear a city such as London to the bare; the fear of an unknown viral pandemic. Released when it was, Boyle's already horror classic tackled this global nightmare precisely when it was to be most effective; as SARS was striking on high abroad and America was on alert to prevent any cases of its own. '28 Days Later' is unrelenting horror cinema that first stunned England, and then created an epidemic of fear in the States. This film is quite possibly the most intellectually ripe Expand
  49. Abbyl
    Jun 28, 2007
    This movie had an overall good plot and a good cast, some parts to me were unreal, and other parts were filled with unneeded gore. But overall this movie was very satisfying.
  50. RichS.
    Jun 1, 2007
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'll always remember how bad it was because I was laughing the whole way through.
  51. RD.
    May 28, 2007
    Very good zombie movie. Scary in parts and has a good social commentary.
  52. DaveM.
    May 15, 2007
    The greatest zombie movie ever. It is fast paced throughout the whole entire movie that leads up to a very exciting climax.
  53. KeetonJ.
    May 12, 2007
    This movie is more than a zombie horror flick if you ask me. It really revolutionized the apocalyptic thriller in many places. It's much more fast-paced in that the "zombies" if you will, don't hobble after you and moan. They sprint and the chances of survival are much less. There's also an eerie feeling a claustrophobia at the beginning of the movie, even though the main This movie is more than a zombie horror flick if you ask me. It really revolutionized the apocalyptic thriller in many places. It's much more fast-paced in that the "zombies" if you will, don't hobble after you and moan. They sprint and the chances of survival are much less. There's also an eerie feeling a claustrophobia at the beginning of the movie, even though the main character is out in the open with London to himself. It also creates characters that you begin to love, and hate. There's a thing about how people killing people is how it's always been and that they're in a state of normality even with the crazies running around. One of my favorite horror/thrillers I've seen, and I can't wait to see the sequel. Expand
  54. AliciaO.
    Mar 15, 2007
    This movie is so much more than just some horror flick. It delves deep into the human mind and shows us what we are really fighting in the world today, human nature. The change from man against beast to man against man was magnificent, and really showed the underlying theme of the movie.
  55. CliffS.
    Nov 2, 2006
    Good storytelling, but some painfully stupid plot lapses. For example, there are electric lights when needed, the infected never attack each other, and the whole episode with the army is completely implausible. Smart money says, stop the DVD after they dinner with the army chaps.
  56. ChrisW.
    Jul 28, 2006
    Gripping all the way through. Very dark and interesting movie. Well made for a film on a small budget. Thought the ending was a bit pox as it really did not answer many questions.
  57. Will
    Jun 27, 2006
    28 Days Later remains my favorite movie of all time. Not only does it have some of the most amazing camera angles and artistic shots, It's intensity is absolutely unmatched. Cillian Murphy and Naomie Harris are simply superb as well. Many people who see this movie fail to understand that it's not just a stupid zombie flick. 28 days later is far more; it's an intelligent 28 Days Later remains my favorite movie of all time. Not only does it have some of the most amazing camera angles and artistic shots, It's intensity is absolutely unmatched. Cillian Murphy and Naomie Harris are simply superb as well. Many people who see this movie fail to understand that it's not just a stupid zombie flick. 28 days later is far more; it's an intelligent study of the human psyche and how we're mentally affected by danger. The cinematography in 28 days later is equally impressive; the colors and filtering used in the camera work are nothing short of breathtaking. If you have any interest in horror movies, or for that matter movies at all you owe it to yourself to immediately rent or (preferably) buy 28 days later. Expand
  58. WadeV.
    Mar 19, 2006
    this movie is a return to the under-produced, anti-special effects crap that Hollywood has become clogged up with. Its a real ,believable & so enthralling look at metaphors,alternate meanings &ultimately survival of the human race. Superb acting,fresh faces & a gripping story line will leave you breathless!
  59. KevinY.
    Nov 14, 2005
    Good movie. Oh my the way for some of you idiots out there who think it's a zombie movie and are compairing it to classics like Romero's stuff, I have some news for ya: THEY ARN'T ZOMBIES FOR GOD'S SAKE! Stop calling them zombies! The director even said, "This is not a zombie movie....". He said it himself! Ok I'm done.
  60. woutielion
    May 29, 2005
    This is a great movie. For all of you who don't understand; the film supposed to be grainy. It's shot with a digital cam to give it a raw look. And that worked perfect. The musical score is superb and so is the story, cause it can be real (instead of all those dumb horror movie's) Another great thing in this movie is scene in the abandoned Londen. Londen looks deserted, This is a great movie. For all of you who don't understand; the film supposed to be grainy. It's shot with a digital cam to give it a raw look. And that worked perfect. The musical score is superb and so is the story, cause it can be real (instead of all those dumb horror movie's) Another great thing in this movie is scene in the abandoned Londen. Londen looks deserted, that's amazing en great, it really got me. So see this one! Ps all supermarkets have a backup battery (a huge one) to maintain power when there's no electricity (to keep the food good). Expand
  61. JesusG.
    Apr 18, 2005
    This is a very energetic and the most terrifying film of the year. But when it's not showing us disturbing images it shows you the side of nature and human life. This is the most weirdest and scariest movie to come along the side of "May".
  62. Vinny
    Jan 29, 2005
    Awesome movie...great story, acting, sound effects, and all around shock value...amazing movie you should see --- Vinny
    Jan 8, 2005
    I really enjoyed this movie but let me ask what the hell is wrong with the critics and people stating that this is a zombie movie. These people are infected by a rage virus not zombies.
  64. AbbyH.
    Dec 1, 2004
    This movie is one of the best from the zombie collection. I have it both on DVD & VHS. I love how it isn't like the other zombie movie. I mean, Dawn of the Dead was good but, spend too much time in that mall. GREAT.
    Nov 20, 2004
    Gory with some genuinely scary and suspenseful moments. the part in the kitchen scared the s... out of me. i liked that more often than not it was the threat of the infected attacking instead of them actually attacking. a good premise, gory, dark, suspenseful, occasionally scary, decent characters, overall not bad.
  66. DrewH.
    Sep 11, 2004
    Its just so weird...i have to give it a good rating. Seriously go see it because of how amazingly weird it is...im still confused...
  67. Paul
    Aug 12, 2004
    This movie was great! You idiots who think this movie was horrible are just upset that this movie, unlike Dawn of the Dead (horrible movie) made you think (unless you're talking about the kind of thinking like "What the hell is going on?" or "When the hell is this going to end?"). This film represents a genre of horror film a step ahead of the rest - one that requires thought. This movie was great! You idiots who think this movie was horrible are just upset that this movie, unlike Dawn of the Dead (horrible movie) made you think (unless you're talking about the kind of thinking like "What the hell is going on?" or "When the hell is this going to end?"). This film represents a genre of horror film a step ahead of the rest - one that requires thought. It's ingenuity is superb. Expand
  68. ChrisP
    Aug 1, 2004
    Mediocre. The primary theme, rage as a virus which is present even in the "uninfected," is presented with a sledgehammer blow: no subtlety, no art, presented for the lowest common denominator to understand. Many inconsistencies: lights on in supermarket despite total lack of electricity, etc. Horrible use of music--very typical Hollywood sound. And...tragically...a love story of sorts and Mediocre. The primary theme, rage as a virus which is present even in the "uninfected," is presented with a sledgehammer blow: no subtlety, no art, presented for the lowest common denominator to understand. Many inconsistencies: lights on in supermarket despite total lack of electricity, etc. Horrible use of music--very typical Hollywood sound. And...tragically...a love story of sorts and an uplifting ending. Blech. Just a very average film, striving to say something but w/o much new to add. Doesn't even touch Night of the Living Dead for art, wit, despair. Expand
  69. RobertA.
    Jul 7, 2004
    Wow! this movie is best watched by yourself in a dark room. i just did and now i am a little paranoid. i enjoyed this film from beginning to end. but one part made me a little bit icky feeling...when the main guy jabs his thumbs into anothers guy's eyes. OUCH!!!. besides that part. this movie rocked my socks off. rob.
  70. RobinC.
    Jun 30, 2004
    Not meant to scare you unless you can think about what the movie represents. The disturbing truth of how men react to destruction and death with violence and anger. Anger, an infectious disease that has been spreading throughout mankind for centuries.
  71. Kostas
    May 30, 2004
    The introduction of this movie is just majestic (i felt into catatonia )!!!
  72. FoosB.
    May 21, 2004
    One of the best movies ever! What propels it above everything else is that it combines horror, suspense, and drama. Definetly recommended!
  73. IanL.
    Apr 13, 2004
    Some of you Americans seem to have totally missed the point of this very British of movies. It's not a Zombie flick at all but allegory of contemporary British life. Note its wonderful use of british imagery, the royal oak, the black taxi, the british countryside,the list goes on. If you didn't realise this was about the decline of moral standards in the modern day UK and the Some of you Americans seem to have totally missed the point of this very British of movies. It's not a Zombie flick at all but allegory of contemporary British life. Note its wonderful use of british imagery, the royal oak, the black taxi, the british countryside,the list goes on. If you didn't realise this was about the decline of moral standards in the modern day UK and the rest of the world then you should have been watching another movie. One of the best british movies since poliakoff's Hidden city. Expand
  74. Anthony
    Apr 3, 2004
    This is a great movie from Danny Boyle and Alax Garland. This is not your striaght up horror movie that I'm sure many of the other reviewers thought it was trying to be. And this is not Dawn of the Dead '04 (Side note: Dawn of the Dead '79 is better than the remake, go see it) 28 days later is a horror movie with a heart. It is very well put together and done so with so This is a great movie from Danny Boyle and Alax Garland. This is not your striaght up horror movie that I'm sure many of the other reviewers thought it was trying to be. And this is not Dawn of the Dead '04 (Side note: Dawn of the Dead '79 is better than the remake, go see it) 28 days later is a horror movie with a heart. It is very well put together and done so with so much care that it really comes across on-screen. This is less of a "zombie" movie and more of an "end of the world" movie. If you like movies - not just shoot'em up hang'em high ones - you'll like 28 days later. Expand
  75. MikeF.
    Apr 1, 2004
    Worst movie I have ever seen. The first movie I wanted to walk out on, but had the patience to wait it out, BIG mistake.
  76. AllanT.
    Mar 23, 2004
    I think this is one of those movies that you either love or hate... and I love it!
  77. Brandon
    Mar 21, 2004
    This movie made no sense. I honestly found nothing entertaining about it until about the last 20 minutes. Maybe, I didn't find it interesting because i saw Dawn of the Dead (2004) first which i really liked. I just saw 28 days now. I didnt really enjoy it, not much to hype over. Boring. Not scary.
  78. SaerA.
    Mar 21, 2004
    It has some good scares but the movie was just awful and it was quite boring.
  79. WillL.
    Mar 12, 2004
    I heard this movie was great and going to be scary...it was neither of these. I bought the movie and wish I could send it back. I am not sure I would recommend renting this movie, but I would say do NOT buy it.
  80. AndrewS.
    Jan 29, 2004
    Great!!
  81. EmmaU.
    Jan 19, 2004
    This film has perhaps the worst production quality I have seen in years. And no, I'm not talking about the intentional old school effects. Just awful. Not scary at all.
  82. Shanon
    Jan 11, 2004
    What utter trash. Ugly, cliched, unenjoyable.
  83. JackB.
    Jan 11, 2004
    The Best of the Year!!!
  84. Joe
    Jan 3, 2004
    28 Days Later is a movie that has much more of a realistic outcome than any other zombie movie out there. We all know that the government has worked on things of this sort. It is not just a movie where so re-animated corpses eat people, but rather, bodies become infested with a virus making them mindless killers.
  85. KarlR.
    Dec 15, 2003
    This story is interesting, the implementation is poorly thought out. Very laughable.
  86. PIRANHAG.
    Dec 3, 2003
    It´s amazing how a low buget movie can be so good at every aspect the bad thing are some chracters that are unexxpirienced but still it´s GOOD.
  87. S.A.
    Dec 2, 2003
    This movie waz absolutely AMAZING!! I LUVED this movie soooooo much!!! I am a horror flick freak, and this was the BEST horror movie EVER!!! I encourage all the horror flick lovers who can stand blood to see this movie!!!
  88. ChrisS.
    Dec 1, 2003
    One of the best movies I have ever seen! It gives a sense of reality making you think it could almost happen given the right circumstances.It makes me angry when people rat on this movie. They say "infected with rage" that is stupid how can you be infected with rage.This is only because they dont understnad the deeper meaning. Man can destroy himself without viruses and wepons all it One of the best movies I have ever seen! It gives a sense of reality making you think it could almost happen given the right circumstances.It makes me angry when people rat on this movie. They say "infected with rage" that is stupid how can you be infected with rage.This is only because they dont understnad the deeper meaning. Man can destroy himself without viruses and wepons all it needs is rage......... Expand
  89. Bobby
    Nov 28, 2003
    This is one of the best movies to come out in 2003. how does it get better than this? with that load of crap "cat in the hat"? wait, how about "gigli"?
  90. MichaelC.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Awesome, awesome movie. Truly the only horror flick to come out in the last 5 years that is both original and entertaining.
  91. JerryMaguire
    Nov 21, 2003
    The movie itself is not entertaining but also not that boring. The much acclaimed alternate end of the movie is not worth waiting for the credits to end in order to see it.
  92. MichaelR.
    Nov 20, 2003
    Like Boyle's other work, a decent setup that's good to watch for about an hour and then falls apart completely. Looks nice, but character development is either nonexistent or entirely unbelievable, the second half of the movie is ridiculous and pathetic, and the ending is dismal and looks as if it was tacked on to fill this out to a grand 1:45. Tries to be even-handed in its Like Boyle's other work, a decent setup that's good to watch for about an hour and then falls apart completely. Looks nice, but character development is either nonexistent or entirely unbelievable, the second half of the movie is ridiculous and pathetic, and the ending is dismal and looks as if it was tacked on to fill this out to a grand 1:45. Tries to be even-handed in its message, but ends up so muddled there is none. The critics were hoodwinked on this one. Expand
  93. JohnY.
    Nov 15, 2003
    I loved the "Twilight Zone" mood this film established.
  94. Ben
    Nov 14, 2003
    An instant classic! Boyle uses excellent camera angles and camera techniques to give the movie an unprecedented, realistic feel. This movie borders on scary, edges in on ominous, and dives into suspense. Not your typical zombie flick. Definitely recommended.
  95. Mathias
    Nov 8, 2003
    Don't waste your time, even if someone gives you this movie, you'll get more enjoyment using the DVD as a frisbee. An utter disappointment. Don't be fooled by people saying a "cautionary tale about man and science" and all that crap. It's utter nonsense, which leads to a lame ending where the cure is raping young, teenage women. And forget about thrills and chills, you Don't waste your time, even if someone gives you this movie, you'll get more enjoyment using the DVD as a frisbee. An utter disappointment. Don't be fooled by people saying a "cautionary tale about man and science" and all that crap. It's utter nonsense, which leads to a lame ending where the cure is raping young, teenage women. And forget about thrills and chills, you get more suspense moments during a rerun of Friends. You want to see a good film, rent Night of the Living Dead. Expand
  96. Elliott
    Nov 6, 2003
    In summary, it's gorgeous. It's less about zombies than survival after the apocalypse. The cinematography is exceptional, the acting convincing, the camera placement ingenious, and the story, well, is consistently intriguing. It is a nearly-perfect horror film, if you choose to label it that way; I consider it a all-around great film, without any labels.
  97. DarlaH.
    Nov 4, 2003
    I'm giving this movie a 2 only because I liked the way the zombies moved in there rapid herky jerky manner, but thats the only thing in this movie I liked. The oohs and awws about London being deserted blah blah, been there done that, New York in Planet of the apes. The soldiers went bad, wow what a twist, they wanted to spawn with the girls, hence the wimpy character we saw at I'm giving this movie a 2 only because I liked the way the zombies moved in there rapid herky jerky manner, but thats the only thing in this movie I liked. The oohs and awws about London being deserted blah blah, been there done that, New York in Planet of the apes. The soldiers went bad, wow what a twist, they wanted to spawn with the girls, hence the wimpy character we saw at beginning of movie now has to go into hero mode, boringggggggggggggg. Identity, the movie was far better, was'nt a real scary movie either, but as far as a mind twist, it was head and shoulders above this blood hurling zombie depressorama waste of time movie. Ps... my boys who shouldnt have been watching a R rated movie, but did anyway, said "mom, that movie sucked" Expand
  98. ArtV.
    Nov 4, 2003
    I'm one of those guys who look forward to a scary film with great anticipation, and I really dig a good zombie scare for sure. Having said that, I really cannot understand how this movie received any decent reviews/scores at all. First off, the characters were so obnoxious and annoying, I quickly began to root for the zombies to infect them all in short order. The delivery of the I'm one of those guys who look forward to a scary film with great anticipation, and I really dig a good zombie scare for sure. Having said that, I really cannot understand how this movie received any decent reviews/scores at all. First off, the characters were so obnoxious and annoying, I quickly began to root for the zombies to infect them all in short order. The delivery of the script by the vast majority of the cast was all too often OVER-DONE, and the thrills basically amount to the gratuitous use of sudden loud sounds, etc. The story had tons of potential, but with the exception of Brendan Gleeson, the cast was simply abysmal. I won't go on and on since it's painfully obvious I would suggest others avoid this film altogether, but I wanted to add one more comment which has more to do with the DVD than just the film itself. It was either grainy or fuzzy most ALL THE TIME. While the sound was done well, the video (transfer?) was more horrid than any of the fright brought on by the infected. Want to see zombie mayhem? stick to the classics and skip this one. Expand
  99. Thorne
    Nov 1, 2003
    Being a big fan of films like "Outbreak", and survival horror films in general, I was very excited about going to see this film. By the looks of the trailers, it appeared that it would provide everything that I could ask for from a survival horror type film, but I'm sorry to report that it falls a bit short. If you go in knowing exactly what to epect, you probably could enjoy this Being a big fan of films like "Outbreak", and survival horror films in general, I was very excited about going to see this film. By the looks of the trailers, it appeared that it would provide everything that I could ask for from a survival horror type film, but I'm sorry to report that it falls a bit short. If you go in knowing exactly what to epect, you probably could enjoy this movie. I'd like to say that this isn't a horror movie, I'd actually describe it as a tragic drama. If you go in with that mind-set, you might get more pleasure from the film. Expand
  100. SusanS.
    Nov 1, 2003
    With those who say this movie is not scary, I had to half-way agree; it's more tragic than scary, but there were plenty of moments when I found myself holding my breath. This is an excellent portrayal of people who are surviving, and what people can be driven to. I enjoyed the sketchy editing--it definitely set the mood. This movie is not so much for people looking for a cheap With those who say this movie is not scary, I had to half-way agree; it's more tragic than scary, but there were plenty of moments when I found myself holding my breath. This is an excellent portrayal of people who are surviving, and what people can be driven to. I enjoyed the sketchy editing--it definitely set the mood. This movie is not so much for people looking for a cheap scare--you will get bored...this movie drips with suspense, but not always the kind with people walking around dark corners to scary violin music--that's predictable; this movie engaged me much more. Expand

1. Around about the third act, the picture does what no self-respecting virus ever would -- relents, turns confused, and lets our immune system fight back with thoughts of its own, with distracting cavils about the logic of the plot and the slightness of the themes.
  2. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    The look of the film, shot on digital video, is haunting and gritty. The cleaner, prettier look of 35mm would have detracted from the immediacy and sense of foreboding created in this artful blend of sci-fi and pseudo-realism.
    Cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle, a veteran of low-tech Dogme films, work wonders with a digital camera, pausing to take in the beauty of the countryside or an eerily empty London…It's virtuosic without ever quite being showy.