5.6

1. Feb 22, 2014
    Stealing a discarded page from Liam Neeson’s action hero playbook, which began with 2008’s Taken and continues next week with the airplane thriller Non-Stop, Costner stars as a badass old dude kicking butt in 3 Days to Kill. It wouldn’t be so bad if Costner didn’t take the material so seriously. He scowls and grimaces in many of the scenes he’s in. And I’ll admit there are brief flashes that remind us how good he was once upon a time in The Untouchables, Dances with Wolves, A Perfect World and The Bodyguard. Expand
  2. Mar 2, 2014
    I wasn't really a fan of this movie. When I first heard of it I thought I would really enjoy it but upon reading the story line of it I thought it was stupid and pointless
  3. Feb 28, 2014
    A slightly different twist on "a veteran agent goes on a killing spree in Europe" plot, 3 Days to Kill is incredibly predictable and not without cheesy plot in every turn. Kevin Costner is a retired terminally-ill agent recruited back as a black ops assassin, by a seductive spy lady no less, to kill elusive marks in exchange for a magical drug that might or might not save his life. Here lies the biggest problem, while it may be true he's desperate enough to resort to the extremes, note that a dying man is no way in shape or form qualified to hunt down an international fugitive, because he's dying.

Assuming that throwing resources as leverage to motivate a retired agent is a good idea, the movie also introduces its heavily glamorized femme fatale, complete with fantasy setting from 80's pulp spy flick. This alpha female, played by Amber Heard, is always shrouded in sensual mystery, equipped with capable aptitude that ultimately begs the question whether she doesn't do the deed herself in the first place. It looks odd as she appears out of nowhere just in the right time like James Bond's fairy godmother only to quip or taunt.

Aside from its awkward secret operative angle, the movie mostly focuses on family value. Luc Besson's style is clearly present, as in Taken. It's commendable that it tries to involve the characters in modest way, and to some degree it works decently, but it's hampering the sense of desperation its title describes, or misleads. Some of the scenes are pretty much a father, on his last remaining times, attempting to bond with his estranged daughter. It has some good moments and the acting is not bad, but it utilizes many corny scenarios that the relationship doesn't feel fully realized.

Editing possesses some problems too. In many scenes, the transition is too fast, thus somewhat resulting in fragmented progression. This works better in some instances, especially action sequences, but it needs more finesse to weave through each act smoother. Sound effect is a silly rendition of Inception inspired music or recent movie trailers excessive hum. It plays this throb noise like in dubstep music for everything that happens. It's not just an annoying repetitive echo; it also produces more comical effect in some cases.

Comedy is hackneyed at most, although it brings chuckle sometimes. The movie resorts to some corny situations in attempt for mild humor or heartwarming scenes, only a couple of them succeed in doing either. Technical aspect of action is presentable. While it doesn't rise to large scale explosion or fluid cinematography, it functions in its intended purpose. Some short bursts of clever camera angle or surprisingly gritty scenes prove to be effective. If only they were translated to the whole movie, it could've been much better.

Tidbits of good parts can't elevate the entirety of the humdrum movie. It's ironic that the title is an analogy for wasting time, because that's exactly what this movie does.
  4. Jun 29, 2014
    3 Days To Kill was promoted in a very misleading way. The previews, the description, even the cover of the DVD make it sound like an exciting thriller. They even manipulated the name of the film, to make it seem like one thing, when it really meant another. The story centers around Ethan Renner, (Kevin Costner) a man who has spent his entire life killing people for the CIA. Renner has found that he only has a short time to live and wants to spend his remaining time with the family he's largely abandoned. His retirement is short lived however, as his old bosses at the CIA promise to help with his medical care if he'll do one last job, a job he doesn't want his family to know about. 3 Days To Kill was made to look like the dying agent had 3 Days To Kill his target, but that's not true at all. The title refers to him spending 3 days with the daughter he hasn't seen in 10 years. Like everyone else, I was fooled by the films promotion and decided to see it, even though Kevin Costner stars. I forgot the fact that Costner hasn't made a decent film in about fifteen years, and assumed that 3 Days To Kill would lead him away from romantic films and be a return to what made him a star, but it wasn't. The action and intensity of a CIA thriller is a back story, to a film about a dying man reconnecting with his family. It wasn't as boring or depressing as a full on drama, following a similar storyline, but it wasn't far off. Much of the hunt for his target was used as comedy to break up the monotony of watching Renner teaching his daughter to dance and ride a bicycle. To be honest, the film really is just a whole mix of things, none of which work. The cast is dreadful, the story is all over the place, and the film is just ridiculous. 3 Days To Kill was a horrible experience, and not only did I hate this film, I feel like I was tricked into watching it, by some clever marketing people, who knew the film was **** You can decide for yourself, but if you could use an extra two hours to do something you've been putting off, I'd skip this movie and get it done. Expand
  5. May 10, 2014
    Borrow heavily from Taken and while Costner and his fellow talented cast members try their hardest to deal with the terrible dialogue and generic plot, They just can't over come that hump. The needlessly long run time, 2 hours, puts a damper on things and they focus far more on needless sub-plots than they do the action scenes, Which are actually quite good.

I think with a better plot
    to it, A bit more originality, 3 Days To Kill easily could have been the start of another Taken like series but sadly that is not the case. It's not that it's a bad movie, It's the fact that it wastes so much potential that is the real disappointment. Expand
  6. May 26, 2014
    So 3 Days to Kill was a complete waste of 2 hours, i wouldn't even call this a action movie because the little action there is beyond bland and generic as hell. Plus the fact that over half of the film is Kevin Costner dealing with trying to rebuild a relationship with his family which was really annoying. I would say that it overshadows the action side of the story but see thats the thing the whole thing, the action part was so horribly underwritten that i consider this a drama more then anything else. Also the film is cliche after cliche with the whole father daughter aspect, like he teaches her how to ride a bike, teaches her how to dance, trying to be nice to her boyfriend, saves her from being molested by a bunch of dudes just your typical father/daughter crap. I was thinking maybe Costner could make a comeback with this movie but sadly not, i really like the guy but he has been making crap movies as of late. Amber Heard was the best part of the movie and see wasn't in it all that much anyways she looked absolutely gorgeous, Hailee Steinfeld was "Meh" unfortunately. McG has made several movies the only two worth watching are We Are Marshall and Terminator Salvation and those and those two are just average movies.

Overall i give it a 4.0
  7. Feb 23, 2014
    It's time to once again slam director McG. 3 DAYS TO A KILL has a witty script, game cast, and fun locales, all undermined by tepid and incoherent direction. Everything is wrong and it is the director's fault. At least let's cut out 20 minutes. That would make for a mildly satisfying B-movie.
  8. Feb 23, 2014
    A boring, and cliched poor man's version of Taken, only with no cool action, a non-sensical plot, and Kevin Costner instead of Liam Nesson, and directed by McG the director of Charlie's Angels, and the man who killed the Terminator franchise with the god-awful Terminator Salvation, with nothing good to offer this should be avoided.
  9. May 27, 2014
    Two things you don’t want in an action/drama/thriller are absurdity and mundanity. Unfortunately, 3 Days to Kill has plenty of both, and both rear their crazy, boring heads during the opening gambit.
  10. May 20, 2014
    This movie could have easily been called, "two hours to kill". Because it was a complete waste of time. Even as a long time Kevin Costner fan the only thing that kept me watching this movie was to see if it could get any worse. Absolutely his worst movie, this is the kind of movie that ends careers. All I can say is I hope he got paid lots of money for this want to be action thriller. If I could given this movie a negative rating I would. If the airline was playing this movie on the plane I'd jump out.

For anyone who gave this movie a positive rating would be like some boxing matches where the fight is completely one sided, and you have this one judge who calls the fight the 115-114 and everyone is like, "what fight was he watching???" The folks who gave this movie a positive rating must have been watching another movie, or if they were lucky they feel asleep after the first ten minutes.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Jun 17, 2014
    Psychologists would doubtless have a field day with the film’s lumpy brew of semi-incestuous paternal angst, midlife machismo, all-American dick-swinging and moderate racism, but we imagine most of them are too busy to waste two hours on this sludge.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Davis
    Feb 26, 2014
    The central conceit in 3 Days to Kill – the family man moonlighting as a gun-for-hire – is hardly a fresh one. It worked in films released 10 or 20 years ago (see True Lies or Mr. and Mrs. Smith), but here it feels played out, clichéd.
  3. Reviewed by: Amy Nicholson
    Feb 25, 2014
    Of course, the movie doesn't work. But Costner does. No matter now nonsensical and uneven 3 Days to Kill gets, he's miraculously consistent.