6.5

1. Aug 22, 2011
    A superb movie in every way. Very surprised at some of the negative reviews. I really don;t see any flaws with it. The pacing is brilliant, with a great lead up to the arrival of the vampires, the acting is first class, the characters believable, there's blood, action, decapitations, dismemberments, and the cinematography is very expertly done. In my opinion this is one of the greatestA superb movie in every way. Very surprised at some of the negative reviews. I really don;t see any flaws with it. The pacing is brilliant, with a great lead up to the arrival of the vampires, the acting is first class, the characters believable, there's blood, action, decapitations, dismemberments, and the cinematography is very expertly done. In my opinion this is one of the greatest horrors ever made. John Carpenter loved it - say no more. Expand
  2. Apr 5, 2012
    I think it is an excellent movie in its genre. In the beginning I didn't have many expectations for I thought that the 'vampire' theme was nothing new...and I felt that I perhaps made a mistake renting that film, but as the story developed I got caught! Not a typical vampire movie with sexual undertones...it is more than that. Yeah, there was a lot of gore -and I am not someone who enjoysI think it is an excellent movie in its genre. In the beginning I didn't have many expectations for I thought that the 'vampire' theme was nothing new...and I felt that I perhaps made a mistake renting that film, but as the story developed I got caught! Not a typical vampire movie with sexual undertones...it is more than that. Yeah, there was a lot of gore -and I am not someone who enjoys gore for the sake of it, but somehow in this case, it did work. I believe it was also because the art direction was great. That was not the typical vulgar gore but the opposite. There are, however, things that could have been improved...and at times I thought that the vampire language was ridiculous, but then I just ignored it, for saying that is a bit unfair: since they are vampires, an alien language makes sense! We wouldn't expect seeing these vampires speaking English, Chinese, Spanish, or Finish, yeah? so that type of criticism is ridiculous and somehow naive. Besides, the pleasantness- or unpleasantness- of the vampire language doesn't affect the quality of the drama per se. I have actually enjoyed this film so much, that I want to buy it (and my movie collection is outstanding) An advice: In order to be truly enjoyed, this film should be watched with a very receptive mind, and even if you don't like it, at least you won't complain about the photography, for it works great with the location. A great atmosphere for a horror movie!...and yeah, as someone observed before...it reminded me a bit of The Thing too. If it was 'competing' with different genres of movies I wouldn't give it a 10, but in its genre I believe it could be a 8.5...however, I am giving it a 9, because I think the present overall score is pretty unfair...so it is a way to help! But I have noticed problems with the scoring before, for often, it doesn't add to the positive reviews after I write them (even after days, and I guess that also happens to others)...and yeah, I understand that it produces antagonistic views, but we all have different taste and expectations. With the sequel, don't bother, it is a 0 ....a huge 0! (you see I am harsh). Expand
  3. Mar 17, 2014
    Just logged in to raise the bloody score on this horror diamond. The only reason I can find for not rating this movie an 8+ is NOT to be a horror fan. It has vamps, eternal night, gore, splatter and original story from a terrific comic.
  4. Aug 26, 2014
    If you want to see a good vampire horror movie,check out 30 days of night.There is a lot of blood,action and the movie is really scary.The actors are really good and the vampires are really scary.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Wilonsky
    Director David Slade's stab at the story is actually rather ordinary.
  2. You can expect a lot of shredding and gurgling. 30 Days of Night is relentless, but it's also relentlessly one-note.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Excels at bloodthirsty action, though dialogue and human-interest aspects are a tad anemic. Result is a mixed bag but has a catchy premise and quite enough splatter to satisfy gorehounds.