6.4

1. Mar 17, 2014
    Just logged in to raise the bloody score on this horror diamond. The only reason I can find for not rating this movie an 8+ is NOT to be a horror fan. It has vamps, eternal night, gore, splatter and original story from a terrific comic.
  2. Dec 10, 2012
    The movie has very cliched type of characters, but at the same time it's a different vampire perspective, as well as the location, overall I think that the whole idea was not properly exploded, you are in Alaska! surprise us with something that it hasn't been seen! you can have a few minutes of fun with this movie.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    Pretty frightening visuals throughout, but the film suffers a great deal from slightly bland storytelling and characters.
  4. Apr 5, 2012
    I think it is an excellent movie in its genre. In the beginning I didn't have many expectations for I thought that the 'vampire' theme was nothing new...and I felt that I perhaps made a mistake renting that film, but as the story developed I got caught! Not a typical vampire movie with sexual undertones...it is more than that. Yeah, there was a lot of gore -and I am not someone who enjoys gore for the sake of it, but somehow in this case, it did work. I believe it was also because the art direction was great. That was not the typical vulgar gore but the opposite. There are, however, things that could have been improved...and at times I thought that the vampire language was ridiculous, but then I just ignored it, for saying that is a bit unfair: since they are vampires, an alien language makes sense! We wouldn't expect seeing these vampires speaking English, Chinese, Spanish, or Finish, yeah? so that type of criticism is ridiculous and somehow naive. Besides, the pleasantness- or unpleasantness- of the vampire language doesn't affect the quality of the drama per se. I have actually enjoyed this film so much, that I want to buy it (and my movie collection is outstanding) An advice: In order to be truly enjoyed, this film should be watched with a very receptive mind, and even if you don't like it, at least you won't complain about the photography, for it works great with the location. A great atmosphere for a horror movie!...and yeah, as someone observed before...it reminded me a bit of The Thing too. If it was 'competing' with different genres of movies I wouldn't give it a 10, but in its genre I believe it could be a 8.5...however, I am giving it a 9, because I think the present overall score is pretty unfair...so it is a way to help! But I have noticed problems with the scoring before, for often, it doesn't add to the positive reviews after I write them (even after days, and I guess that also happens to others)...and yeah, I understand that it produces antagonistic views, but we all have different taste and expectations. With the sequel, don't bother, it is a 0 ....a huge 0! (you see I am harsh). Collapse
  5. Nov 21, 2011
    This is actually a very good vampire movie. It had some sweet effects. The vampires were very creepy (especially the bald one). It had an interesting plot with some VERY smart vampires. I'd recommend seeing this movie whenever you get the chance.
  6. Sep 6, 2011
    Pas d'histoire, pas d'originalité, pas d'ambiance, pas de punch... 30 Jours de Nuit n'a pas grand chose à nous offrir. Du moins, tous ces défauts auraient pu être compensés par le reste. Il n'en est rien : les acteurs ne sont pas convaicants, les vampires grotesques, la mise en scène plate... Il reste néanmoins les effets spéciaux (scènes gores) pour combler les fans de suceurs de sang, et encore! Au final, ces 30 Jours de Nuit vont vous permettre de bien dormir durant un bon moment (pas un mois mais 1h48). Encore un film qui ne mérite pas toute la publicité faite autour... Expand
  7. Aug 22, 2011
    A superb movie in every way. Very surprised at some of the negative reviews. I really don;t see any flaws with it. The pacing is brilliant, with a great lead up to the arrival of the vampires, the acting is first class, the characters believable, there's blood, action, decapitations, dismemberments, and the cinematography is very expertly done. In my opinion this is one of the greatest horrors ever made. John Carpenter loved it - say no more. Expand
  8. Jul 3, 2011
    Great setting and idea. Vampires for 30 nights. I loved every minute of it and it was interesting to see how people react when suddenly they are the ones who get hunted.
  9. May 31, 2011
    This is one fine vampire gore fest! The vampires are truly something new to look at and study.....they are different than ones we've seen before. This is what I envision when I think of what vampires should truly be......not the lovey dovey commercialized teen dream vampires of late. The only thing these vampires are missing is an effective backstory....they don't even give a flavor of their past. The supporting survival team offers the terror and primal fear that we all would experience. Expand
  10. Jan 9, 2011
    This is another great zombie flick that should be played/mentioned more. It holds my attention well, the way they do the effects/makeup/costumes rocked, thought they did well with the plot, not to complicated and it gets the job done. Good setting for this movie. NO GOD!
  11. Sep 17, 2010
    Vampires come to Alaska taking advantage of "30 days of night" in the winter.
    The big problem for me is that the vampires really aren't scary but unintentionally funny. And the main one looks like Fat Boy Slim.
    If you said to a 10-year old "Be a scary vampire" they'd act like the vampires in this.
    Ironically the scariest vampire in it is a 10-year old.
    Bit silly all round really although
    some nice axe action. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robert Wilonsky
    Director David Slade's stab at the story is actually rather ordinary.
  2. You can expect a lot of shredding and gurgling. 30 Days of Night is relentless, but it's also relentlessly one-note.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Excels at bloodthirsty action, though dialogue and human-interest aspects are a tad anemic. Result is a mixed bag but has a catchy premise and quite enough splatter to satisfy gorehounds.