6.1

1. Dec 18, 2014
    as much i adore Frank Miller's work also his wild imagination with graphic novels such as Sin City, Elecktra. 300 has not change a bit it has well terrible matrix effects as warriors (or what ever they are called) kill each other. Meanwhile with bad ass effects 300 returns with a sequel ! all of these stunning actors Eva Green kills and fights thats what makes this 300 rise of an empireas much i adore Frank Miller's work also his wild imagination with graphic novels such as Sin City, Elecktra. 300 has not change a bit it has well terrible matrix effects as warriors (or what ever they are called) kill each other. Meanwhile with bad ass effects 300 returns with a sequel ! all of these stunning actors Eva Green kills and fights thats what makes this 300 rise of an empire epic with blood and boobs Miller does it again! creates good quality bad ass character also good kills. Expand
  2. Nov 30, 2014
    This movie was so bad that it inspired me to make a Metacritic account and post my first review. Why do I think it's so horrible? It's unrealistic and cheesy, putting CGI graphics over acting, plot, realism or historical accuracy. Here's my short list of pet peeves: 1) script is written on clichés and racial stereotypes. 2) Unrealistic costumes. Every Greek soldier has 6 pack abs andThis movie was so bad that it inspired me to make a Metacritic account and post my first review. Why do I think it's so horrible? It's unrealistic and cheesy, putting CGI graphics over acting, plot, realism or historical accuracy. Here's my short list of pet peeves: 1) script is written on clichés and racial stereotypes. 2) Unrealistic costumes. Every Greek soldier has 6 pack abs and has armor covering arms and shoulders, but leaving the vital areas of chest and abdomen exposed. Beyond absurd. 3) Unrealistic battle. Every time a sword or arrow hits someone, a quart of blood comes flying off of the person, splattering out the front of them, the back of them and splattering the camera, all the while using slow motion to emphasize how unrealistic the action is. 4) Unrealistic military strategies that would get an army wiped out. 5) Portrayal of the main antagonist, a 120 lb woman as being physically stronger, faster and more skilled in armed combat than the best Greek warriors. 6) Awesome CGI rendered action scenes that look ridiculous because the physics don't match up.... Oar powered ships doing 10-15 knots, moving faster through the water than the oars are moving. Storm scene in the Aegean/Mediterranean with a fleet of ships surfing down a 60 foot wall of long ocean swells, which physically can't happen due to the shallow depth and small width of the sea. Ocean surfaces rendered with water in a non-gravity dependent fashion with areas of high and low elevation that are not related to waves. Cooking oil is used as an incendiary device, but then they show it exploding with the force of dynamite. Sorry, oil burns, it doesn't explode. I could go list a dozen more fake things about this movie, but it's not worth my time. :-) Expand
  3. Nov 13, 2014
    "300: Rise of an Empire" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: As expected, the fights were well choreographed and the battles were on an epic scale. The blood and guts are gleefully over-the-top, but not to the point where it becomes too much. Eva Green was excellent as the film's main villain. The Bad: The film just feels hollow without Leonidas and the 300. They try very hard
    "300: Rise of an Empire" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Bad: The film just feels hollow without Leonidas and the 300. They try very hard to re-create the magic of the first film and they just fall way short. They even copied a few of the scenes and story lines, which felt cheap. There was an odd sexual tension between the main protagonist and antagonist that felt forced, complete with an awkward sex scene. While the first film's grand speeches were well timed and powerful, the sequel has speeches galore. In fact, half the film is a series of rousing speeches. Ultimately, I didn't really care about the majority of the characters in the film and their inevitable deaths were meaningless.
  4. Nov 3, 2014
    the best movie ever made, only second to the original. overuses special effects/ fight scenes perfectly like a good movie should, doesn't waste time on story and bores you to the point of mental masturbation
  5. Oct 6, 2014
    An obviously fabricated sequel to Frank Miller's 300 movie, even despite the obvious anti-brown-people message. Eva Green's character is a highly fictionalized third wave feminist; the actual person Artemisia was a Turkish queen who acknowledged that men were physically stronger than women and faced tactics and battle with the earnestness that it required to form a proper (and correct)An obviously fabricated sequel to Frank Miller's 300 movie, even despite the obvious anti-brown-people message. Eva Green's character is a highly fictionalized third wave feminist; the actual person Artemisia was a Turkish queen who acknowledged that men were physically stronger than women and faced tactics and battle with the earnestness that it required to form a proper (and correct) opinion that the Battle of Salamis was futile - she did not walk around with imaginary lat syndrome fighting trained warriors with her 8-inch arms, making James Bond bad guy faces, she was hardly Greek in the sense that the Athenians were Greek, she wasn't some kind of sex fiend, and she didn't inspire fear in her men, either. The Greek people themselves were hairy and swarthy, not steroided anglo-saxons with shaved and greased up bodies. The story fails to depict that the Persian empire was something more than just a bunch of war mongers and (essentially) Islamic militants despite the battle taking place in the 5th century BC. A farce of a film, with a story that basically amounts to "let's go kill those guys!" and featuring misplaced woman power, roided out Scottish extras, extreme anachronism, even greater than Frank Miller would dare, marketed toward 10-25-year-old men who still go out to see things like the Transformers and TMNT movies. Expand
  6. Sep 28, 2014
    I personally enjoyed the first 300 movie. It was relatively well balanced, visually interesting, and had a good cast. Surely, and like many, I looked forward to this sequel...

What a major letdown. Seriously. Aside of the visuals that are still marvelous to watch and a jaw-dropping/electrifying performance by Eva Green (who surely had the time of her life making that movie), everything, and I mean E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G., is a total downgrade from the first movie. The acting ranges from blandly mediocre to downright horrific, the dialogues are soulless, the amount of CGI violence is so overwhelming that it becomes unbearable, the antagonist seems to have no interest whatsoever in the events of the movie...

Man... they had all the right ingredients to make an epic movie. What we get is an almost forgettable sequel.
  7. Sep 22, 2014
    I read a lot of the other comments and I'll borrow the highlights that matched how I feel most closely.
    Foul, racist American propaganda painting the great and enlightened Persian empire as a bunch of savages. The "suicide bomber" was particularly sickening. Spot on with this comment. This is an example of a film that should never make it past the drawing board. (another pretty close feeling to what I had watching it). Ugh! Down right awful! (short but to the point). If they changed eva green's character to a male character and tweaked the story i mean a lot it would have a shot. (this is closest though to how I really felt). In what world are people stupid enough to watch these chicks lead armies fighting with the men. At on point the queen raises a sword, and all it's missing is her screaming VAGINA POWER!! with like a rainbow or something, that's the only way I could have thought to make this movie any worse and honestly it may have made me laugh so that could have even been an improvement. The only thing I'll take away from this movie other then my head hung low, will be to know that if I ever lead a country that's a huge world power with 10's of thousands of ships maybe I shouldn't let an 80 pound slave ship slut have complete control of them. It a strange situation to be at the end of a movie hoping that the guy beats the girls azz in moral combat. I'd say more but I feel I've put a lot more effort into this comment then the movie was worth.
  8. Sep 4, 2014
    if you like a movie with a intermediate story but lots of action nd sloooooow moootiooooon then this is a movie for you and me! although the story is like almost the same as 300 the only difference is that the men now are greek and not on land but fight on boats..... ow yeah Slowmotion Bewbs :D
  9. Aug 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 300 Rise of an empire may not be that good in the eyes of other people but hot damn this movie was awesome! (For me that is). The story is pretty straight forward and takes place as the original 300 is going on. A soldier from Athens called Themisticleas is trying to hold of the Persian naval army until the 300 Spartans can unite Greece. What follows is balls-to-the-knee ACTION! I am sure many of you saw tens of thousands of plot holes but i was mesmerized by seeing Themisticleas jump from ship to ship, on a horse cutting through Persians like a video of a lawn mower on fast forward. People do questionable yet awesome things like jump in to a lake full of advancing enemy's and try and fight them all in the water. This move was time well spent for me but maybe not for other people. If you are in it for awesome fight scenes this will blow you away. Expand
  10. Aug 26, 2014
    300 was a beautiful experience that failed to be replicated in 300: Rise of an Empire. The story was uninspiring to the point I lost interest in the film shortly after pressing play.
  11. Aug 26, 2014
    I didn't think it was a great movie, but it was certainly better than the original. It had a decent story, with characters far more interesting than the predecessor "300." The action sequences were insane, and far better executed than most action movies today.
  12. Aug 21, 2014
    This sequel takes the battle to the seas with all of the gory, slow-motion action you would expect. However outside of Eva Green and an impressive visual style the movie fails to include anything really entertaining. Leaving this blood-bath feeling like a waste of time that only serves to exist to set up a 3rd "300" movie.

It's Eva Green who makes the movie even remotely worth watching.

It's Eva Green who makes the movie even remotely worth watching. Her performance is excellent as always, and she once again captures a near-perfect combination of darkness and sexiness with her character. It's just a shame that everything around her is so lackluster. The plotting suffers because none of it's Greek characters, the ones we're supposed to be rooting for, are any good. Lead Sullivan Stapleton does the best with what he is given, but his character is too weak in the personality department to hold the film up.

With the action feeling dull, uninteresting, and filled with WAY too much slow-mo everything falls on the back of Green to keep this war afloat. Unfortunately not even she can save it from sinking into the bottom of the ocean of mediocrity. The only thing I can say is see it for Green or don't see it at all.
  13. Aug 12, 2014
    I loved 300 really awesome movie i never even blinked while watching it and my eyes turned red . honestly i hated 300 rise of an empire it sucked . this movie i waited for it so badly but it smacked me at the face once i watched it . it has a very bad continue . the characters is the worst of all . if they changed eva green's character to a male character and tweaked the story i mean a lotI loved 300 really awesome movie i never even blinked while watching it and my eyes turned red . honestly i hated 300 rise of an empire it sucked . this movie i waited for it so badly but it smacked me at the face once i watched it . it has a very bad continue . the characters is the worst of all . if they changed eva green's character to a male character and tweaked the story i mean a lot it would have a shot . one last thing the performance is REALLY REALLY BAD REALLY REALLY SUCKS . i gave it 1 because of the fight scenes only . Expand
  14. Aug 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You know that movie you like? And then that sequel that comes out and ruins it? Well, this is that movie! I never loved 300, but it's super macho killing was moderately interesting when watched either drunk or stoned, but rise of an empire basically comes along and takes a huge dump on it. *Spoilers ahead *

Okay... Get this...

Okay... Get this... According to this movie, you know that Xerxes god character? Well he has this sister right... And she's totally the brains of the operation and 100% manipulated everything that happened in movie 1 because... She's... Ugh... Female I guess... And it's only %10,000 unrealistic for a bunch of arab men to follow a woman into battle in ancient times, but WHATEVER, it's a movie... But... This whole flick is about her failed attempts to look arousing while smirking from ear to ear and it culminates in her telling off Xerxes really big to "Go sit on your golden throne and enjoy the safety my army provides you." If the makers of this film had any sort of respect for the 1st movie, they wouldn't reduce Xerxes to such a pathetic character, I mean, he already basically lost in movie 1, and now we're supposed to believe he can't even run his own army? What's left? Will the 3rd 300 movie feature a distant cousin who totally manipulated Xerxes, his sister and all of humanity into a war while leisurely eating grapes in a distant land? Makes about as much sense as this crap. I enjoyed the movie for a while but little sis running the show and her 13 foot brother being a weakling got old really fast. After she told him off, I didn't even bother watching the final battle. What for? I did jump ahead a little and saw Leonidas' queen charging the enemy, and instantly felt good about my decision to skip the last 25 minutes... It was bad.
  15. Aug 8, 2014
    A Sequel-Prequel to 300. It doesn't match the original which to mind is one the best movies I have seen in the 21st century..but it gives it a good shot..Great CGI, production and cinematography..Pretty good actors in Stapleton and Green (Though I didn't buy her super toughness so much). But nowhere close to Gerard Butler's brilliance as Leonidas. Xerxes is underutilized and even hisA Sequel-Prequel to 300. It doesn't match the original which to mind is one the best movies I have seen in the 21st century..but it gives it a good shot..Great CGI, production and cinematography..Pretty good actors in Stapleton and Green (Though I didn't buy her super toughness so much). But nowhere close to Gerard Butler's brilliance as Leonidas. Xerxes is underutilized and even his character a tad diminished here too..which was a pity..He was truly awesome in the first 300...Minus points were the use of modern cursing which was grating..and a hardcore sex scene???Why I don't know??...Major pluses were the fabulous fight scenes...The macho fight for Greece and freedom dialogue and the smashing slo mo stuff which i really love.. Expand
  16. Aug 4, 2014
    I didn't enjoy this as much as the first. They should have carried a sign that read "girl power" in this film. I Wasn't sure if I was watching "sucker punch" with women beating up men with their sheer force and strength. Only z. Snyder would conceive of something like this. My history may be a little Hazy but weren't women during this period property or slaves?

The action scenes weren't

The action scenes weren't bad and the visuals were well done. The story I think hurt this film.
  17. Aug 1, 2014
    This sequel simply cannot stand up to the original. I'm fine with a little dramatic licence with fight scenes or the historical narrative, but this film drifted far beyond the point of suspended belief.
  18. Jul 28, 2014
    Not even half as good as the first part.

Not even half as good as the first part.

Very weak performances, especially of the leading man. Even the guy playing Xerxes isn't as good as he was in the first movie. Perhaps the only one performance that can be deemed 'good' is that of Eva Green, and even she didn't have enough to work with. The script is too cheesy to have any emotional resonance. Even that sex scene was way too stupid.

The fight scenes are somewhat entertaining, though the idea of standard Greek soldiers easily killing the Immortals wasn't very convincing. These Immortals (aside from the entire Persian archery) were the only warriors who could kill some of Leonidas's 300.

Another thing that really bothered me was the blood. Too excessive. In 300, it was done within reason; and when it was, it looked real. But here, it's way overdone. Pools of blood coming out of people's bodies, and not realistically-looking as it should (and could) be. The slow-motion effect was also overused.

A very terrible and forgettable movie. Not worth the 90 minutes spent watching it.
  19. Jul 27, 2014
    The movie goes like this. War, war, war, war, sex and then some more war. There really isn't a plot here. The action was occasionally good. It wasn't boring, but it never rose above mediocre.
  20. Jul 27, 2014
    Visuals (not believable but they didn´t want them to be believable I suppose, so it´s ok). Just that. Nothing else is interesting. If anything, I´ll give a couple of actors kudos for putting some effort in this movie.
  21. Jul 25, 2014
    It took them seven years to make a sequel. There isn't much to say about this film. It's disappointing. The storyline isn't really anything interesting because its pretty much the typical revenge **** like in almost every other film thats being released nowadays, the characters are boring, they're the standard characters wanting vengeance, and the CGI is insanely bad. At some points itIt took them seven years to make a sequel. There isn't much to say about this film. It's disappointing. The storyline isn't really anything interesting because its pretty much the typical revenge **** like in almost every other film thats being released nowadays, the characters are boring, they're the standard characters wanting vengeance, and the CGI is insanely bad. At some points it actually felt like I was looking at video game gameplay...

As a comparison as this film has large battle sequences, Lord of The Rings budget was $93 Million and the budget for this (ROAE) was $110 Million. A film from 2001 had more believable CGI then a film from 2014, and I'm not even a fan of Lord of The Rings.

Of course, they're making another sequel for this film when they could had easily just made this film another 30-40 minutes, then it would had been the end of it... Either way, I hope they do a better job next time. Although, what do we expect digging out a sequel to a 7 year old film? It'll probably be another 5 years for the sequel.
  22. Jul 15, 2014
    Unfortunately, 300 Rise of an Empire does not live up to the original 300. It can be said that if you liked the first one that you will like the sequel as well, but that's not entirely true. In my opinion, the first movie succeeded on more levels than just bloody swordplay and spectacular special effects. At it's heart, Leonidas was fighting for a political ideal that was bigger thanUnfortunately, 300 Rise of an Empire does not live up to the original 300. It can be said that if you liked the first one that you will like the sequel as well, but that's not entirely true. In my opinion, the first movie succeeded on more levels than just bloody swordplay and spectacular special effects. At it's heart, Leonidas was fighting for a political ideal that was bigger than himself and he knew it. He was expendable if it meant protecting the freedom of his family and people for even one more day.
    Rise of an Empire fails to connect on that level and is the lesser film for it. Still, there is a lot to enjoy here with some back story on Xerxes and some follow up with the treacherous hunchback. And finally Eva Green steals the show in every scene she is in and her performance alone makes the film worth watching. This 300 ends up being more a companion piece to the original 300, and that is good enough reason to watch. Just don't expect to be walking out of the theater on a triumphant high like the first one.
  23. Jul 14, 2014
    Brilliant special effects, a quote-ready script, and a stellar performance from Eva Green, 300: Rise of an Empire manages to live up to expectations and thoroughly entertain viewers.
  24. Jul 13, 2014
    Amazing film in 3D. Better than the 1st, and the 1st was pretty god dang amazing. Highly recommended, amazing action and CG sequences. Casting, acting, and performances are all dead-on brilliant. Audio, sound fx are grand and perfectly sourced. Soundtrack is genius, inspiring, epic. Best period action film in years (since Troy imho).
  25. Jul 8, 2014
    אם אהבתם את הסרט הראשון מהסיבות הנכונות, אתם לא תאהבו ואפילו תשנאו את הסרט הזה, אבל אם מה שאהבתם בסרט הראשון זה את האפקטים הדם והקרבות ולא הבנתם את הנקודה בסרט הקודם אתם תאהבו גם את זה ויכול להיות שגם יותר מהקודם. אבל עדיין יש שם כמה דברים טובים כמו זה שהם לפחות לא הרסו את הדמויות הישנות ועדיין מרגישים ב-480 לפנהסאם אהבתם את הסרט הראשון מהסיבות הנכונות, אתם לא תאהבו ואפילו תשנאו את הסרט הזה, אבל אם מה שאהבתם בסרט הראשון זה את האפקטים הדם והקרבות ולא הבנתם את הנקודה בסרט הקודם אתם תאהבו גם את זה ויכול להיות שגם יותר מהקודם. אבל עדיין יש שם כמה דברים טובים כמו זה שהם לפחות לא הרסו את הדמויות הישנות ועדיין מרגישים ב-480 לפנהס
  26. Jul 7, 2014
    ----->>>>>Watch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online----->>>>>Watch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) free Expand
  27. Jul 7, 2014
    Much better than the first. More historical, better narration, much less slow motion-- and the presence of an actual storyline. I hated the first but this one was one I'll probably buy.
  28. Jul 3, 2014
    Ugh! Down right awful!

(I decided to put as much into this review as the writers and actors, barring Eva Green who's always on point, put into this movie).
  29. Jun 27, 2014
    This was most expected sequel by me. I loved the first installment for its awesome vfx. So I anticipated similar visual pack in this, especially in digital 3d version the expectation was a bit higher. Who's this director and how did he get this project, miraculously, he managed to handle this mega task with mostly the not so famous actors, probably except Eva Green. It's really a greatThis was most expected sequel by me. I loved the first installment for its awesome vfx. So I anticipated similar visual pack in this, especially in digital 3d version the expectation was a bit higher. Who's this director and how did he get this project, miraculously, he managed to handle this mega task with mostly the not so famous actors, probably except Eva Green. It's really a great achievement for a filmmaker like him like Peter Jackson did a decade ago for 'The Lord of the Rings'. It may change his future, hope he continues with the remarkable works further on.

As I said I wanted a sequel to '300', but after seeing its ending I thought the title won't fit for the follow-up. It was cleverly written for 'Rise of an Empire'. In the first movie and this, the story had no much scope deliberately. Because the main intense was the stunts and visuals. In this part, OMG, it was one of the best digital 3Dised movie I ever saw. Some of the scenes, especially the sex scene was totally inappropriate. I never knew what was its purpose, maybe because to have a movie's one of the powerful dialogue that follow like this: You fight much harder than you f&%#.

‘‘There is only one thing to make sure of when the fighting starts.
    Don't get killed on the first day’’

The cast performances were good, in the end it was the graphics that ruled the movie. How amazingly created those scenes, sometimes it was mind blowing. I was just thinking what it would have done if the popular stars had in it. Might have been year's best, but I still consider it the upcoming Oscars strong contender in the visual effects category along with 'The Battle of the Five Armies'. If this won't get a place in the final list, that will be a greater insult for sure.

This was not exactly a follow-up story, instead simultaneously happening one of the first. The story that happens other side of the country which meets in the middle and goes on with the originally intended. The vicious villain Xerxes played by a Brasilian actor had extended display of his role which briefs how he became the god-king. Without a second thought Eva Green is this movie's strength. Would have been an unimaginably worse without her, I guess. This movie is for graphic geeks like me and also who love comic strip mode movies. You should try it in digital 3D then the entertainment is guaranteed, but still would not be your favourite of the year if I am not wrong.

7.5/10
  30. Jun 19, 2014
    -Blood effects were "overdone"
    -Fighting looked very unreal almost like a videogame and didn't fit the theme of the movie
    -This movie is clear example of why moviemakers should not abuse CGI as it destroys the immersiveness and
    no one takes it seriously for instance how can a skinny female slice through piles of armoured warrior in one stoke and pour gallons of blood.What a joke of a movie.

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    300: Rise Of An Empire is a worthy sequel to "300," stylistically consistent and equally loony, featuring what may well be the first truly can't-miss performance in a film this year.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Mar 10, 2014
    For all the energetic milling, Rise of an Empire proves superior to its predecessor by making war a game both sexes can play, on nearly equal terms. In comparison, the R-rated "300" seems as innocent as Adam in the Garden before the delicious complication of Eve — or Eva.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 10, 2014
    It really is pretty dull, though, with the same moments of campy silliness: the same frowning gym bunnies with the same digitally enhanced abs.