6.2

1. Aug 26, 2014
    300 was a beautiful experience that failed to be replicated in 300: Rise of an Empire. The story was uninspiring to the point I lost interest in the film shortly after pressing play.
  2. Aug 26, 2014
    I didn't think it was a great movie, but it was certainly better than the original. It had a decent story, with characters far more interesting than the predecessor "300." The action sequences were insane, and far better executed than most action movies today.
  3. Aug 21, 2014
    This sequel takes the battle to the seas with all of the gory, slow-motion action you would expect. However outside of Eva Green and an impressive visual style the movie fails to include anything really entertaining. Leaving this blood-bath feeling like a waste of time that only serves to exist to set up a 3rd "300" movie.

It's Eva Green who makes the movie even remotely worth watching.
    Her performance is excellent as always, and she once again captures a near-perfect combination of darkness and sexiness with her character. It's just a shame that everything around her is so lackluster. The plotting suffers because none of it's Greek characters, the ones we're supposed to be rooting for, are any good. Lead Sullivan Stapleton does the best with what he is given, but his character is too weak in the personality department to hold the film up.

With the action feeling dull, uninteresting, and filled with WAY too much slow-mo everything falls on the back of Green to keep this war afloat. Unfortunately not even she can save it from sinking into the bottom of the ocean of mediocrity. The only thing I can say is see it for Green or don't see it at all.
  4. Aug 12, 2014
    I loved 300 really awesome movie i never even blinked while watching it and my eyes turned red . honestly i hated 300 rise of an empire it sucked . this movie i waited for it so badly but it smacked me at the face once i watched it . it has a very bad continue . the characters is the worst of all . if they changed eva green's character to a male character and tweaked the story i mean a lot it would have a shot . one last thing the performance is REALLY REALLY BAD REALLY REALLY SUCKS . i gave it 1 because of the fight scenes only . Expand
  5. Aug 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You know that movie you like? And then that sequel that comes out and ruins it? Well, this is that movie! I never loved 300, but it's super macho killing was moderately interesting when watched either drunk or stoned, but rise of an empire basically comes along and takes a huge dump on it. *Spoilers ahead *

Okay... Get this...
    According to this movie, you know that Xerxes god character? Well he has this sister right... And she's totally the brains of the operation and 100% manipulated everything that happened in movie 1 because... She's... Ugh... Female I guess... And it's only %10,000 unrealistic for a bunch of arab men to follow a woman into battle in ancient times, but WHATEVER, it's a movie... But... This whole flick is about her failed attempts to look arousing while smirking from ear to ear and it culminates in her telling off Xerxes really big to "Go sit on your golden throne and enjoy the safety my army provides you." If the makers of this film had any sort of respect for the 1st movie, they wouldn't reduce Xerxes to such a pathetic character, I mean, he already basically lost in movie 1, and now we're supposed to believe he can't even run his own army? What's left? Will the 3rd 300 movie feature a distant cousin who totally manipulated Xerxes, his sister and all of humanity into a war while leisurely eating grapes in a distant land? Makes about as much sense as this crap. I enjoyed the movie for a while but little sis running the show and her 13 foot brother being a weakling got old really fast. After she told him off, I didn't even bother watching the final battle. What for? I did jump ahead a little and saw Leonidas' queen charging the enemy, and instantly felt good about my decision to skip the last 25 minutes... It was bad. Expand
  6. Aug 8, 2014
    A Sequel-Prequel to 300. It doesn't match the original which to mind is one the best movies I have seen in the 21st century..but it gives it a good shot..Great CGI, production and cinematography..Pretty good actors in Stapleton and Green (Though I didn't buy her super toughness so much). But nowhere close to Gerard Butler's brilliance as Leonidas. Xerxes is underutilized and even his character a tad diminished here too..which was a pity..He was truly awesome in the first 300...Minus points were the use of modern cursing which was grating..and a hardcore sex scene???Why I don't know??...Major pluses were the fabulous fight scenes...The macho fight for Greece and freedom dialogue and the smashing slo mo stuff which i really love.. Expand
  7. Aug 4, 2014
    I didn't enjoy this as much as the first. They should have carried a sign that read "girl power" in this film. I Wasn't sure if I was watching "sucker punch" with women beating up men with their sheer force and strength. Only z. Snyder would conceive of something like this. My history may be a little Hazy but weren't women during this period property or slaves?

The action scenes weren't
    bad and the visuals were well done. The story I think hurt this film. Expand
  8. Aug 1, 2014
    This sequel simply cannot stand up to the original. I'm fine with a little dramatic licence with fight scenes or the historical narrative, but this film drifted far beyond the point of suspended belief.
  9. Jul 28, 2014
    Not even half as good as the first part.

Very weak performances, especially of the leading man. Even the guy playing Xerxes isn't as good as he was in the first movie. Perhaps the only one performance that can be deemed 'good' is that of Eva Green, and even she didn't have enough to work with. The script is too cheesy to have any emotional resonance. Even that sex scene was way too
    stupid.

The fight scenes are somewhat entertaining, though the idea of standard Greek soldiers easily killing the Immortals wasn't very convincing. These Immortals (aside from the entire Persian archery) were the only warriors who could kill some of Leonidas's 300.

Another thing that really bothered me was the blood. Too excessive. In 300, it was done within reason; and when it was, it looked real. But here, it's way overdone. Pools of blood coming out of people's bodies, and not realistically-looking as it should (and could) be. The slow-motion effect was also overused.

A very terrible and forgettable movie. Not worth the 90 minutes spent watching it.
  10. Jul 27, 2014
    The movie goes like this. War, war, war, war, sex and then some more war. There really isn't a plot here. The action was occasionally good. It wasn't boring, but it never rose above mediocre.
  11. Jul 27, 2014
    Visuals (not believable but they didn´t want them to be believable I suppose, so it´s ok). Just that. Nothing else is interesting. If anything, I´ll give a couple of actors kudos for putting some effort in this movie.
  12. Jul 25, 2014
    It took them seven years to make a sequel. There isn't much to say about this film. It's disappointing. The storyline isn't really anything interesting because its pretty much the typical revenge **** like in almost every other film thats being released nowadays, the characters are boring, they're the standard characters wanting vengeance, and the CGI is insanely bad. At some points it actually felt like I was looking at video game gameplay...

As a comparison as this film has large battle sequences, Lord of The Rings budget was $93 Million and the budget for this (ROAE) was $110 Million. A film from 2001 had more believable CGI then a film from 2014, and I'm not even a fan of Lord of The Rings.

Of course, they're making another sequel for this film when they could had easily just made this film another 30-40 minutes, then it would had been the end of it... Either way, I hope they do a better job next time. Although, what do we expect digging out a sequel to a 7 year old film? It'll probably be another 5 years for the sequel.
  13. Jul 15, 2014
    Unfortunately, 300 Rise of an Empire does not live up to the original 300. It can be said that if you liked the first one that you will like the sequel as well, but that's not entirely true. In my opinion, the first movie succeeded on more levels than just bloody swordplay and spectacular special effects. At it's heart, Leonidas was fighting for a political ideal that was bigger than himself and he knew it. He was expendable if it meant protecting the freedom of his family and people for even one more day.
    Rise of an Empire fails to connect on that level and is the lesser film for it. Still, there is a lot to enjoy here with some back story on Xerxes and some follow up with the treacherous hunchback. And finally Eva Green steals the show in every scene she is in and her performance alone makes the film worth watching. This 300 ends up being more a companion piece to the original 300, and that is good enough reason to watch. Just don't expect to be walking out of the theater on a triumphant high like the first one.
  14. Jul 14, 2014
    Brilliant special effects, a quote-ready script, and a stellar performance from Eva Green, 300: Rise of an Empire manages to live up to expectations and thoroughly entertain viewers.
  15. Jul 13, 2014
    Amazing film in 3D. Better than the 1st, and the 1st was pretty god dang amazing. Highly recommended, amazing action and CG sequences. Casting, acting, and performances are all dead-on brilliant. Audio, sound fx are grand and perfectly sourced. Soundtrack is genius, inspiring, epic. Best period action film in years (since Troy imho).
  16. Jul 8, 2014
    אם אהבתם את הסרט הראשון מהסיבות הנכונות, אתם לא תאהבו ואפילו תשנאו את הסרט הזה, אבל אם מה שאהבתם בסרט הראשון זה את האפקטים הדם והקרבות ולא הבנתם את הנקודה בסרט הקודם אתם תאהבו גם את זה ויכול להיות שגם יותר מהקודם. אבל עדיין יש שם כמה דברים טובים כמו זה שהם לפחות לא הרסו את הדמויות הישנות ועדיין מרגישים ב-480 לפנהס
  17. Jul 7, 2014
    ----->>>>>Watch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) free Expand
  18. Jul 7, 2014
    Much better than the first. More historical, better narration, much less slow motion-- and the presence of an actual storyline. I hated the first but this one was one I'll probably buy.
  19. Jul 3, 2014
    Ugh! Down right awful!

(I decided to put as much into this review as the writers and actors, barring Eva Green who's always on point, put into this movie).
  20. Jun 27, 2014
    This was most expected sequel by me. I loved the first installment for its awesome vfx. So I anticipated similar visual pack in this, especially in digital 3d version the expectation was a bit higher. Who's this director and how did he get this project, miraculously, he managed to handle this mega task with mostly the not so famous actors, probably except Eva Green. It's really a great achievement for a filmmaker like him like Peter Jackson did a decade ago for 'The Lord of the Rings'. It may change his future, hope he continues with the remarkable works further on.

As I said I wanted a sequel to '300', but after seeing its ending I thought the title won't fit for the follow-up. It was cleverly written for 'Rise of an Empire'. In the first movie and this, the story had no much scope deliberately. Because the main intense was the stunts and visuals. In this part, OMG, it was one of the best digital 3Dised movie I ever saw. Some of the scenes, especially the sex scene was totally inappropriate. I never knew what was its purpose, maybe because to have a movie's one of the powerful dialogue that follow like this: You fight much harder than you f&%#.

‘‘There is only one thing to make sure of when the fighting starts.
    Don't get killed on the first day’’

The cast performances were good, in the end it was the graphics that ruled the movie. How amazingly created those scenes, sometimes it was mind blowing. I was just thinking what it would have done if the popular stars had in it. Might have been year's best, but I still consider it the upcoming Oscars strong contender in the visual effects category along with 'The Battle of the Five Armies'. If this won't get a place in the final list, that will be a greater insult for sure.

This was not exactly a follow-up story, instead simultaneously happening one of the first. The story that happens other side of the country which meets in the middle and goes on with the originally intended. The vicious villain Xerxes played by a Brasilian actor had extended display of his role which briefs how he became the god-king. Without a second thought Eva Green is this movie's strength. Would have been an unimaginably worse without her, I guess. This movie is for graphic geeks like me and also who love comic strip mode movies. You should try it in digital 3D then the entertainment is guaranteed, but still would not be your favourite of the year if I am not wrong.

7.5/10
  21. Jun 19, 2014
    -Blood effects were "overdone"
    -Fighting looked very unreal almost like a videogame and didn't fit the theme of the movie
    -This movie is clear example of why moviemakers should not abuse CGI as it destroys the immersiveness and
    no one takes it seriously for instance how can a skinny female slice through piles of armoured warrior in one stoke and pour gallons of blood.What a joke of a movie.
  22. Jun 15, 2014
    Having only seen the briefest of trailers for 300: Rise of an Empire I was not too sure what to expect. (Even with the title hints)

The follow up to 300 turns out to be set at the same time as the first film, only your seeing battles being fought mainly on the open waves. Quality wise, this film is on the same par as the first one, with great CGI and the same stylised scenes.

However
    the story has a little less backbone, clutching at straws at certain times. That's not to say the story is terrible, just not as deep. You are introduced to several new characters and some old ones which end up being your main focus of this film.

You still get the same level of violence as you did in 300, only this time its a little unnecessary. Far too many blood gurgling scenes with unrealistic blood letting, which add nothing to the film or story. The level of swearing has also been ramped up, although i'm undecided if this is a good or a negative thing as far to often in films you find either the swearing missing or too extreme for the actions on screen. Maybe Rise of an Empire got this level just about right?

Either way this is not a film for little ones or for a quiet night in watching a film with the wife.

Overall, the film is worth a rent if you have seen the first one. But don't expect the same quality of film here.
  23. Jun 6, 2014
    It ended just as it was getting interesting. Lots of flashy slow-mo bits and action, but it left me wanting more.

Also the immortals' combat sequence were obviously done in CGI, their movements were unrealistic and they stood out a bit, it was also a bit annoying how the Athenians' combat skill completely disappeared when fighting the immortals. I know it's necessary to show a skill
    gap, but come on.. Expand
  24. Jun 6, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire has even more gore and more slow motion action pieces than its predecessor but incorporates a story that seems to have less at stake. Entertaining for the most part but just a bridge for a third installment.
  25. Jun 5, 2014
    The first 300 wasn't an amazing film.
    But it had a number of well executed scenes for its budget which made an impact.
    This is completely lost in the second film. Like many sequels, its completely flat. Ironically, graphically it is superior to the first one, you can see the producers really worked on creating beautiful environments like the seas of Greece or the Empire of Persia. One
    exception to this is the surprisingly awfully rendered CGI blood which is very distracting and which somehow wasnt a problem in the first movie. Incredible nobody caught that problem.
    In any case, the movie is completely bland and flat. Somehow the cast doesnt deliver the same memorable emotional impact the first one did. They are unbelievable. The Greek fighters look like English teens out of London with muscles built in fitness centres (not battles), and Eva Green -although an amazing actress- doesnt make sense as a war leader supposed to lead an Army of macho Persians.
    Also the whole scenario is simplistic and the scenes dont make sense. You really get the feeling they tried to reproduce the same impact as the first film, but they didn't.

Overall a huge let-down. But still to be watched for any fans of period films.
  26. Jun 1, 2014
    This sequel just didn't live up to the first film. Sullivan Stapleton delivers a decent performance but the most notable performance was Eva Green's. Being that this is supposed to be full scale war, I expected it to be more epic than the first.
  27. May 25, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire is an ok movie i knew going into it that it wasnt going to be anything great but as a sequel it stands ok i guess. For the most part the plot fails, the cgi fails, the acting fails well other then Eva Green she was really the only likable character and really the best part of the film. The action was good so that does help for the rest of the movie but i will say that this movie does has a ton of blood. While i was on my way home i remembered the poster with the wave made of blood for the movie yeah that is no joke its like that. Ill be honest and say that i wouldnt have watched this in theaters but i went with some friends that wanted to watch it so if it wasnt for them i would have just seen this when outs out on blu ray/dvd and would recommend people just watch it that way and not waste your money.

Overall i give it a 6.0
  28. May 9, 2014
    Beautifully painted art on canvas like visuals, gory action sequences and Eva Green makes this movie a visual feast to watch. The amount of work that's put in doesn't disappoint the viewers.
  29. May 3, 2014
    The only reason I'm not giving this a 0 or a 1 is because of the sexy jew actress, the movie is horrible otherwise and not worth watching, she makes the movie barely watchable, otherwise it would have been an even larger fail.
  30. Apr 27, 2014
    300 rise of an empire ,is masterfully crafted,brilliantly choreographed,interesting war film.It stays true to the original 300 ,it maintains the unique look and feel of the first movie but makes it even bigger, badder and bolder.and while it's short 1 and a half length keeps it from showing its true self and keeps you wishing for more this is still one of the most badass,visually arresting films i've ever seen.

As a big fan of the first movie,i was really excited to see this movie,especially after hearing this is a prequel-sequel companion of the first one,the events take place before ,during and after the 300,which itself is a unique spin ,that you don't see that often.The performances given by Sullivan Stapleton and Eva Green are terrific especially Eva Green's Artemisia ,she is a scary,crazy,seductive and not-apologetic,you don't want to mess with this bad girl.As for Sullivan's Themistocles he's great and inspirational speeches ,they may not be on par with Gerrard Butler's Leonidas,but he definetely fights a lot better than him.

The story itself is quite good and intriguining ,sure it's no masterpiece but hey its based off a graphic novel done by Frank Miller,so you can forgive it.The backstory of characters is thankfully given so you can have a lot more reasons to care for them and even Artemisia has a surprisingly heartbreaking past that gets you to understand her nature and why she truly wants revenge on Greece.

But it's the stylistic action and gore that gets people to watch 300,and from that standpoint the movie is glorious amounts of kick-ass fun.The director Noam Murro maintains Zack Snyder's perfect feel of all-out war ,he adds more slo-mo shots that perfectly captures the fighting skill of Themistocles,within the first 5 minutes you already get a fight scene ,the movie gets this well prepared rythm of telling the story and embracing the action.The blood effects might not be for everyone to like but i certainly got used to it and started to enjoy the hell out of it.The sea battles also dynamically change up to combat and make it a damn fun movie and not repetitious.There is an end fight which is both a dissapointment and satisfaction.it's satisfying because it feels extremely epic with Themistocles riding a horse jumping from ship-to-ship tearing Persians limb from limb and ending the fight with Artemisia,now the problem of it is that it ends very abruptly and makes you wish just a tad bit more but maybe in a sequel.

And it definetely will have a sequel with box office surpassing the budget and the box office of the first movie,this epic series is going to go on for a long time.300 rise of an empire is a MUST SEE for the fans of the original and fans of action movies,it's a wild ride from start to finish that does not slow down during talks ,but ends with an open note.

P.S. if you get a chance to see it in 3D absolutely see it like that,it's a real visual treat.

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    300: Rise Of An Empire is a worthy sequel to "300," stylistically consistent and equally loony, featuring what may well be the first truly can't-miss performance in a film this year.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Mar 10, 2014
    For all the energetic milling, Rise of an Empire proves superior to its predecessor by making war a game both sexes can play, on nearly equal terms. In comparison, the R-rated "300" seems as innocent as Adam in the Garden before the delicious complication of Eve — or Eva.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 10, 2014
    It really is pretty dull, though, with the same moments of campy silliness: the same frowning gym bunnies with the same digitally enhanced abs.