6.1

1. May 9, 2014
    Beautifully painted art on canvas like visuals, gory action sequences and Eva Green makes this movie a visual feast to watch. The amount of work that's put in doesn't disappoint the viewers.
  2. Aug 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You know that movie you like? And then that sequel that comes out and ruins it? Well, this is that movie! I never loved 300, but it's super macho killing was moderately interesting when watched either drunk or stoned, but rise of an empire basically comes along and takes a huge dump on it. *Spoilers ahead *

Okay... Get this...

Okay... Get this... According to this movie, you know that Xerxes god character? Well he has this sister right... And she's totally the brains of the operation and 100% manipulated everything that happened in movie 1 because... She's... Ugh... Female I guess... And it's only %10,000 unrealistic for a bunch of arab men to follow a woman into battle in ancient times, but WHATEVER, it's a movie... But... This whole flick is about her failed attempts to look arousing while smirking from ear to ear and it culminates in her telling off Xerxes really big to "Go sit on your golden throne and enjoy the safety my army provides you." If the makers of this film had any sort of respect for the 1st movie, they wouldn't reduce Xerxes to such a pathetic character, I mean, he already basically lost in movie 1, and now we're supposed to believe he can't even run his own army? What's left? Will the 3rd 300 movie feature a distant cousin who totally manipulated Xerxes, his sister and all of humanity into a war while leisurely eating grapes in a distant land? Makes about as much sense as this crap. I enjoyed the movie for a while but little sis running the show and her 13 foot brother being a weakling got old really fast. After she told him off, I didn't even bother watching the final battle. What for? I did jump ahead a little and saw Leonidas' queen charging the enemy, and instantly felt good about my decision to skip the last 25 minutes... It was bad.
  3. Aug 1, 2014
    This sequel simply cannot stand up to the original. I'm fine with a little dramatic licence with fight scenes or the historical narrative, but this film drifted far beyond the point of suspended belief.
  4. Apr 8, 2014
    It was not as good as the first 300, but that was expected when I heard Gerard Butler wouldn't be returning.

The story was not so good and I didn't actually understand it that well, I also would have preferred it to be about Spartans instead of the Athenians but Themistocles was played well. However, the combat was fantastic and I could tell from the noises of excitement from the

However, the combat was fantastic and I could tell from the noises of excitement from the other people in the Cinema they though the same.
  5. Jul 8, 2014
    אם אהבתם את הסרט הראשון מהסיבות הנכונות, אתם לא תאהבו ואפילו תשנאו את הסרט הזה, אבל אם מה שאהבתם בסרט הראשון זה את האפקטים הדם והקרבות ולא הבנתם את הנקודה בסרט הקודם אתם תאהבו גם את זה ויכול להיות שגם יותר מהקודם. אבל עדיין יש שם כמה דברים טובים כמו זה שהם לפחות לא הרסו את הדמויות הישנות ועדיין מרגישים ב-480 לפנהסאם אהבתם את הסרט הראשון מהסיבות הנכונות, אתם לא תאהבו ואפילו תשנאו את הסרט הזה, אבל אם מה שאהבתם בסרט הראשון זה את האפקטים הדם והקרבות ולא הבנתם את הנקודה בסרט הקודם אתם תאהבו גם את זה ויכול להיות שגם יותר מהקודם. אבל עדיין יש שם כמה דברים טובים כמו זה שהם לפחות לא הרסו את הדמויות הישנות ועדיין מרגישים ב-480 לפנהס
  6. Jul 15, 2014
    Unfortunately, 300 Rise of an Empire does not live up to the original 300. It can be said that if you liked the first one that you will like the sequel as well, but that's not entirely true. In my opinion, the first movie succeeded on more levels than just bloody swordplay and spectacular special effects. At it's heart, Leonidas was fighting for a political ideal that was bigger thanUnfortunately, 300 Rise of an Empire does not live up to the original 300. It can be said that if you liked the first one that you will like the sequel as well, but that's not entirely true. In my opinion, the first movie succeeded on more levels than just bloody swordplay and spectacular special effects. At it's heart, Leonidas was fighting for a political ideal that was bigger than himself and he knew it. He was expendable if it meant protecting the freedom of his family and people for even one more day.
    Rise of an Empire fails to connect on that level and is the lesser film for it. Still, there is a lot to enjoy here with some back story on Xerxes and some follow up with the treacherous hunchback. And finally Eva Green steals the show in every scene she is in and her performance alone makes the film worth watching. This 300 ends up being more a companion piece to the original 300, and that is good enough reason to watch. Just don't expect to be walking out of the theater on a triumphant high like the first one.
  7. Mar 15, 2014
    Such a horribly written script! movie cliches one after another mixed with overly done slow mode fight scenes. The color saturation was so badly done that it made the actors look horrible! The diversion from historical events were also annoying, not that I planned to see an accurate re-telling, it was laughable how sad.
  8. Mar 23, 2014
    The only thing I find myself thinking when I see a movie like this and then arrive @ metacritic, is what on Earth these people are thinking who give it a positive score. I wish I could be in their head for just an hour, just to see how truly stupid these people are.
  9. Mar 26, 2014
    I had to give up on this one somewhere around the halfway point. Maybe something interesting happens after the one hour mark, but I wasn't willing to stick it out.

To be fair I found the original more than a little underwhelming, so I'm probably not in the target demographic, but I was hoping that the sequel might provide at least a little entertainment value. Unfortunately it seems to be little more than a group of interchangeable bearded men in good shape dancing around a sprinkler system spraying far too much CGI blood. If you like that sort of thing you'll probably eat it up, but I'm sure there are already more than a few 'adult' websites that cater to that fetish.

P.S. It's probably time to retire the technique of slllooooowwwiiing the action down before speedingitupastheswordstrikes.
  10. Mar 7, 2014
    Saw this movie last night in 2-D. My first issue was that the blood effect look cheesy but perhaps in 3-D may have looked better. Eva Green was awesome but the leading man sucked. Wasn't buying the story because they had these regular soldiers able to take on the immortals like they were nothing. Absolutely loved the first 300 but this 300 I walked away disappointed and bored.
  11. Apr 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is aimed at making Americans (analogous to the Greeks, westerners) feel good about themselves. It takes what was a wonderful history (read Herodotus Books 6-9), and uses it to create a cartoon - a caricature of what the producers think will be a more appealing story, but is yet inferior to the real one. I would much rather have seen thousands of Spartan warriors (among the rest of the Greeks) fighting at Plataea than seen Spartans coming to save the day at Salamis IN BOATS! That's insane. Both the Greek naval victory at Salamis (led by the Athenians), and the Greek land victory at Plataea (led by the Spartans) individually make better stories. I feel sick just writing about it. It's an indictment the creators of this film are making of the audience - that we are idiots, and they are correct in that assessment. Expand
  12. Apr 4, 2014
    This is an example of a film that should never make it past the drawing board. Its vapid and pointless story drags on from one CGI scene to the other, until it finally ends. Thank goodness, now I can go home and play some video games because the movies today aren't doing it for me anymore.
  13. Mar 12, 2014
    I waited the whole movie for a movie to start. It never did. The story is nonexistent, unclear, and inconsequential. The whole thing piggybacks on your remembrance of the first movie. It's not bad, just sort of empty. Plays it safe
  14. Apr 27, 2014
    300 rise of an empire ,is masterfully crafted,brilliantly choreographed,interesting war film.It stays true to the original 300 ,it maintains the unique look and feel of the first movie but makes it even bigger, badder and bolder.and while it's short 1 and a half length keeps it from showing its true self and keeps you wishing for more this is still one of the most badass,visually arresting300 rise of an empire ,is masterfully crafted,brilliantly choreographed,interesting war film.It stays true to the original 300 ,it maintains the unique look and feel of the first movie but makes it even bigger, badder and bolder.and while it's short 1 and a half length keeps it from showing its true self and keeps you wishing for more this is still one of the most badass,visually arresting films i've ever seen.

As a big fan of the first movie,i was really excited to see this movie,especially after hearing this is a prequel-sequel companion of the first one,the events take place before ,during and after the 300,which itself is a unique spin ,that you don't see that often.The performances given by Sullivan Stapleton and Eva Green are terrific especially Eva Green's Artemisia ,she is a scary,crazy,seductive and not-apologetic,you don't want to mess with this bad girl.As for Sullivan's Themistocles he's great and inspirational speeches ,they may not be on par with Gerrard Butler's Leonidas,but he definetely fights a lot better than him.

The story itself is quite good and intriguining ,sure it's no masterpiece but hey its based off a graphic novel done by Frank Miller,so you can forgive it.The backstory of characters is thankfully given so you can have a lot more reasons to care for them and even Artemisia has a surprisingly heartbreaking past that gets you to understand her nature and why she truly wants revenge on Greece.

But it's the stylistic action and gore that gets people to watch 300,and from that standpoint the movie is glorious amounts of kick-ass fun.The director Noam Murro maintains Zack Snyder's perfect feel of all-out war ,he adds more slo-mo shots that perfectly captures the fighting skill of Themistocles,within the first 5 minutes you already get a fight scene ,the movie gets this well prepared rythm of telling the story and embracing the action.The blood effects might not be for everyone to like but i certainly got used to it and started to enjoy the hell out of it.The sea battles also dynamically change up to combat and make it a damn fun movie and not repetitious.There is an end fight which is both a dissapointment and satisfaction.it's satisfying because it feels extremely epic with Themistocles riding a horse jumping from ship-to-ship tearing Persians limb from limb and ending the fight with Artemisia,now the problem of it is that it ends very abruptly and makes you wish just a tad bit more but maybe in a sequel.

And it definetely will have a sequel with box office surpassing the budget and the box office of the first movie,this epic series is going to go on for a long time.300 rise of an empire is a MUST SEE for the fans of the original and fans of action movies,it's a wild ride from start to finish that does not slow down during talks ,but ends with an open note.

P.S. if you get a chance to see it in 3D absolutely see it like that,it's a real visual treat.
  15. Apr 5, 2014
    Tries much too hard to reproduce the successes of the original, but falls short in nearly every way. There were a few cool action moments as they fight on the sea, but the plot is totally uninteresting and the characters are too cliche to like. I might have been able to enjoy it as a short action/semi-hero movie with style, but it took itself much too seriously to enjoy it. It seems toTries much too hard to reproduce the successes of the original, but falls short in nearly every way. There were a few cool action moments as they fight on the sea, but the plot is totally uninteresting and the characters are too cliche to like. I might have been able to enjoy it as a short action/semi-hero movie with style, but it took itself much too seriously to enjoy it. It seems to drag on and on, trying to produce depth that it just didn't have. It took too long to tell a story, and the story was too cliche and uninteresting to be the focal point. Pass. Expand
  16. May 3, 2014
    The only reason I'm not giving this a 0 or a 1 is because of the sexy jew actress, the movie is horrible otherwise and not worth watching, she makes the movie barely watchable, otherwise it would have been an even larger fail.
  17. Mar 13, 2014
    Totally Forgettable. Too much cliche scenes and very weak story makes this sequel one of the worst I have ever seen. Amazing how the trailer could be so deceiving. Don't waste your money!
  18. Mar 7, 2014
    This visual and stylistic exercise in blood letting turns out to be not quite as good as the original 300. Some concise narration at the beginning sets the scene, but the story matters little. Basically this is the formula as before, the main difference being that most of the battles here take place on the sea rather than on land. Production Design vies with CGI for attention and continuesThis visual and stylistic exercise in blood letting turns out to be not quite as good as the original 300. Some concise narration at the beginning sets the scene, but the story matters little. Basically this is the formula as before, the main difference being that most of the battles here take place on the sea rather than on land. Production Design vies with CGI for attention and continues to blur the line between these two crafts. Likewise, the somewhat bombastic score competes with Dolby sound. The one thing of which the film cannot be accused is to not have used all the technologies at its disposal. Viewed in an IMAX format and in 3D (D Box was also an additional option) the film is certainly a feast for the eye and ear. The speed ramping gimmick is again employed to enhance the dubious enjoyment of torn flesh, severed limbs and lashings of blood flying off the screen. One thing is for sure, subtlety was obviously not discovered in THIS century.

Acting wise, Eva Green steals the film and she has an erotically charged scene of sexual power play with leading man Sullivan Stapleton (Strike Back) which is also as camp as Christmas. The combination is somewhat disconcerting, not to mention rather funny.
    For all its faults, though, there can be no denying that this is a visually stunning achievement. A short underwater dream sequence also impresses as, in fact, do all the under water shots. However, like its predecessor, an inevitable repetitiveness allows one to become anaesthetised to events which by turn become ever so slightly monotonous.
  19. Mar 26, 2014
    Stupid film. Which nation is the good one?? The one who killed a family and raped the little girl or the one who saved the girl??? The cast is awful except Eva Green...
  20. Mar 16, 2014
    This movie was a huge disappointment, because I fell so much in love with the first one. The actors and actresses in the first one were way more passionate and believably intense. It was boring the fighting seemed unrealistic and sort of video gamish. The blood looked fake. Just wasn't impressed
  21. Apr 5, 2014
    Foul, racist American propaganda painting the great and enlightened Persian empire as a bunch of savages. The "suicide bomber" was particularly sickening.
  22. Mar 9, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire was a really good movie but it failed to deliver on the epicness of the first film. But I'll first touch on the positives. The visuals are really, REALLY cool. It seemed like the blood spurts weren't done quite as well as the first one but overall the visuals in this movie were fantastic. Whether it was Artemisia igniting the Greek Navy or Themistokles leading the300: Rise of an Empire was a really good movie but it failed to deliver on the epicness of the first film. But I'll first touch on the positives. The visuals are really, REALLY cool. It seemed like the blood spurts weren't done quite as well as the first one but overall the visuals in this movie were fantastic. Whether it was Artemisia igniting the Greek Navy or Themistokles leading the Greek forces, the special effects and visuals were a definitely strength. The acting was also really good. Was it "Oscar-worthy"? No but it's a different kind of movie. I thought the actors delivered their roles well, especially Eva Green, who I thought stole the movie. Her beauty is stunning, sure, but she did an incredible job with Artemisia. The plot also developed well and I thought they connected it to the first film really well. Instead of this being a sequel, though, it's essentially occurring at the same time as the first movie, just at a different location. That being said, that is also one of the elements that hurt the movie, in my humble opinion. The movie builds and builds and builds and then right when you think you're about to get the biggest battle of the film, it ends. That is just a part of what I consider the weakest area of the movie... there just isn't enough combat. The first movie was littered with epic fight sequences while this one focused more on the politics. I think they forgot why so many people loved the first one. It was different from the Troys and the Bravehearts and the Gladiators. It was in your face war and had a charm and joy to it. This movie, while good in its own right, lost a lot of that charm and joy and tried to take a more serious cinematic approach, ultimately missing its mark in the process. Expand
  23. Jul 13, 2014
    Amazing film in 3D. Better than the 1st, and the 1st was pretty god dang amazing. Highly recommended, amazing action and CG sequences. Casting, acting, and performances are all dead-on brilliant. Audio, sound fx are grand and perfectly sourced. Soundtrack is genius, inspiring, epic. Best period action film in years (since Troy imho).
  24. Mar 28, 2014
    If you loved the original 300, then this movie brings more of the same testosterone-filled action, stylized fight scenes, awesome costumes, over-the-top CGI effects, overdramatic pre-battle speeches, slow motion, unrealistic blood, shirtless men yelling, shirtless men dying, shirtless men killing one another, etc. etc. Doesn't really add much to this formula, except possibly Eva Green, whoIf you loved the original 300, then this movie brings more of the same testosterone-filled action, stylized fight scenes, awesome costumes, over-the-top CGI effects, overdramatic pre-battle speeches, slow motion, unrealistic blood, shirtless men yelling, shirtless men dying, shirtless men killing one another, etc. etc. Doesn't really add much to this formula, except possibly Eva Green, who brings a great performance and makes a relatable villain. Needless to say, if you didn't like the original then this film won't do anything to change your opinion about the franchise, but if you liked the original, then you should definitely check the sequel out as well. Expand
  25. Mar 10, 2014
    Rubbish film, but who knew that Eva Green had such nice breasts? At least the first film presented a plausible idea that 300 could fight off thousands in a confined space, but thousands of ships against twenty? Stupid, stupid, stupid. And while they're doing this, everyone just stands around on ships with no defences. No one fires arrows at each other; they just wait and try to ram ships.
  26. Jul 3, 2014
    Ugh! Down right awful!

(I decided to put as much into this review as the writers and actors, barring Eva Green who's always on point, put into this movie).
  27. Mar 9, 2014
    It lacks the unworldly mythologies of the first title, but its spectacular animation will still be entertaining enough. 300: Rise of an Empire is the prequel, event in between and also sequel of 300, this might be overreaching as it cumbersomely tries to tell wider scale background of the war. There are more characters, each with their own tale and the change into naval battle is aIt lacks the unworldly mythologies of the first title, but its spectacular animation will still be entertaining enough. 300: Rise of an Empire is the prequel, event in between and also sequel of 300, this might be overreaching as it cumbersomely tries to tell wider scale background of the war. There are more characters, each with their own tale and the change into naval battle is a welcomed one, not to mention clever ways to divulge more effects, however they can't replace the charm of mystical charisma from the predecessor.

Story revolves mainly on Themistocles (Sullivan Stapleton) and his ambivalence struggle against slightly insane Persian general, Artemisia (Eva Green). Stapleton is not exactly inadequate on the leader role. He showcases a decent performance as the weight of war slowly burdens him, but the brash hawkish lead from Gerard Butler is sorely missed. The movie utilizes almost the same merry band of warriors as 300, despite acknowledging the less superhuman original profession. They might be too similar, especially physique-wise, it feels like a shallow reenactment than legitimate replacement, and it's not about the blue cape instead of red.

Eva Green is absurdly filled with anguish, almost excessively. It's very passionately awkward, but admittedly effective nonetheless as she oozes strength at times. King Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) gets an exposition of his metamorphosis past, a "before" and "after" look as herbal steroid, magic spell and CG alter his appearance to that of a giant. This retains some of the magical vibe from previous title, although only a mere fragment of it.

He does not possess the same on-screen threat as he did, currently he's not even the same level as his madly obsessive lady general. Queen Gorgo (Lena Headey) serves as narrator, she partakes in only a handful of scenes as the focus shifts away from Sparta. Her voice has weight, although not as poignant as Dilios (David Wenham) in the first movie, who is now relegated into a flimsy support role.

The trademark fight scenes are splendid, stylishly choreographed with elegant brute force. Maritime warfare presents more effects added into bloody skirmish, be it may water or fire, they are visually delightful. It moves very aggressively, slowing at just the right critical moments. In a sense, it almost resembles a game; I wouldn't be surprise if it has health meter and death count display. This mix of battle macabre and CGI stand tall in the peak of action genre, audience will most likely find no disappointment in this regard.

Unfortunately, screenplays aren't constructed concisely enough; they don’t continue momentum from plot to action smoothly, making some occasions feel dry. It offers some degree of political and social aspect, but not carrying the depth needed to stimulate the audience. While the spectacle is undeniably impressive, 300: Rise of an Empire is just a glorified war movie.
  28. Mar 21, 2014
    I have to say i was not looking forward to this film, i watched the trailer a few times and was going to give it a miss but im so glad i watched it, i thought that the story was pretty good, the way it was close to 300 i liked that, the comic book violence was spot on, the blood was a little dodgy in 2D so i wish i had seen it in 3D, the acting was pretty good, Eva Green was really goodI have to say i was not looking forward to this film, i watched the trailer a few times and was going to give it a miss but im so glad i watched it, i thought that the story was pretty good, the way it was close to 300 i liked that, the comic book violence was spot on, the blood was a little dodgy in 2D so i wish i had seen it in 3D, the acting was pretty good, Eva Green was really good she really surprised me, and she looked hot :) one thing that was a downer the middle of the film got a bit flat, it started off fast paced then lost it a bit but it soon picked up pace. I left the cinema with a huge smile on my face and i am really looking forward to the next instalment. Expand
  29. Mar 11, 2014
    It was okay. I found 300: Rise of an Empire to be somewhat entertaining, but somehow the blood effects are even less realistic than those in the original 300. The cast is also quite pale compared to the original(Gerard Butler, Michael Fassbender, etc.) Eva Green was really over the top but I suppose in a good way. I don't really think it's necessary to see in theaters.
  30. Mar 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a good movie..not a great one nor inspirational
    watch it in 3D for cinematography,graphics,stunning visual graphics scenery,slo-mo action scenes

about the story : watch what happens in the side of original 300
    A navy battle

-ve : lots of graphic blood '; spills on camera
    slow second half followed by comedy

Rated R : for Curse words & a nude sex scene
    +ve : not boring

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    300: Rise Of An Empire is a worthy sequel to "300," stylistically consistent and equally loony, featuring what may well be the first truly can't-miss performance in a film this year.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Mar 10, 2014
    For all the energetic milling, Rise of an Empire proves superior to its predecessor by making war a game both sexes can play, on nearly equal terms. In comparison, the R-rated "300" seems as innocent as Adam in the Garden before the delicious complication of Eve — or Eva.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 10, 2014
    It really is pretty dull, though, with the same moments of campy silliness: the same frowning gym bunnies with the same digitally enhanced abs.