7.2

1. Feb 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like westerns, and I like modern westerns. I like the dust and sweat and the "hard" men, following in the footsteps of Eastwood's High Plains Drifter. This film is good to look at and has all the makings of a good movie, but the way the characters behave just become more and more unbelievable until in a climax of illogic for both the characters and the audience we are supposed to suddenly find Ben Wade a likeable chap, and he is expected to kill the remnants of his gang with a sparkle at his eye teeth.

How many times were the good guys to let Wade kill one of there number without doing anything about it? Every time. How often was Dan Evans going to turn his back on Wade without being killed? Innumerable times. And why oh why, in one of the final scenes when the baddies are all lined up in the street like ducks at a fair, and they kill the unarmed Sheriff and all his men, and Dan is a sharp shooter and has his rifle in an upstairs window, why does he just sit there and let it happen? No idea.

Lucky to get a three score really. That's for the grime and sweat :)
  2. Jan 2, 2015
    I found this film not bad, but just pretty underwhelming. Performances are best by Russel Crowe, with Christian Bale doing fine in his role but not being a conflicted character he is meant to be believably. The morals behind all of Crowe's actions seem a little twisted really, and you're still not really concices you should like him towards the end. There isn't that many real western fightI found this film not bad, but just pretty underwhelming. Performances are best by Russel Crowe, with Christian Bale doing fine in his role but not being a conflicted character he is meant to be believably. The morals behind all of Crowe's actions seem a little twisted really, and you're still not really concices you should like him towards the end. There isn't that many real western fight scenes in the film which is what i was looking forward to about this, it tries to become over sentimental. A fine enough film to watch but you shouldn't feel bad if you miss it. Expand
  3. Mar 6, 2015
    Fun cast...short movie.....once again we have a cuckold type scenario here in the beginning...we even see a woman that looks like the wife with Wade...The end is pretty enticing.....The rest is well shot and its fun but its not so much that I can easily watch it three times .....The problem with this movie is that its not as fun as you think it will be....I don't think that's the moviesFun cast...short movie.....once again we have a cuckold type scenario here in the beginning...we even see a woman that looks like the wife with Wade...The end is pretty enticing.....The rest is well shot and its fun but its not so much that I can easily watch it three times .....The problem with this movie is that its not as fun as you think it will be....I don't think that's the movies message on adventures either.... Expand

1. This is how a Western today tries to give us more bang for the buck. By working this hard to be a crowd-pleaser, though, it may please fewer crowds.
  2. A largely compelling ride on the strength of a powerful cast led by Russell Crowe and Christian Bale.
    In this movie, Fonda really is iconic. 3:10 to Yuma may be familiar, but, at its best, it has a rapt quality, even an aura of wonder.