7.3

1. Jan 15, 2012
    Human fleshed out characters with motives and a history to them, even if imagined off screen (that's how well they are written and played). Excellent performances, quiet moments of reflection, cruelty and understanding, great action sequences and a sly but honest script. You can forgive the somewhat unrealistic ending to quite a large degree if you apply the fore mentioned motivation andHuman fleshed out characters with motives and a history to them, even if imagined off screen (that's how well they are written and played). Excellent performances, quiet moments of reflection, cruelty and understanding, great action sequences and a sly but honest script. You can forgive the somewhat unrealistic ending to quite a large degree if you apply the fore mentioned motivation and understanding.

Ben Foster deserved best supporting actor for this film.
  2. Mar 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. James Mangold's remake of the stellar 3:10 to Yuma is a mixed bag - there's some great acting, and beautiful camerawork, but also a fairly implausible script. Christain Bale and Russel Crowe star as a poor ranch owner Dan Evans and the infamous highwayman Ben Wade. Ben Foster and Peter Fonda strengthen the otherwise lacklustre supporting cast, both giving powerful performances. A lot of users have rather harshly critiqued the lack of realism in the script and if it weren't for Bale and Crowe's strong acting the implausibility and holes in the script might have shone through even moreso. For example, the bizarre ending - Crowe suddenly decides to allow himself to be captured, but rather than simply call off his gang he further endangers himself and Bale by being chased by the bloodthirsty gang to the train station. If he was trying to make Bale's character look like a hero, this would make some sense, but then all logic is thrown out the window as he shoots every remaining member of his gang. This really held back the film for me, and I otherwise would have scored it an 8.
    It's a little hard to score 3:10 to Yuma, because there's a lot of conflicting elements holding back the film from legend status, but despite these frustrations it's still a very entertaining watch.
  3. Dec 27, 2011
    I cant say much but wow. I wasn't so sure about this movie at the beginning, but as it progressed, it drew me in more and more. The star part of this movie is it's ending. In simple words, suspenseful, amazing, beautiful. Dialog may be a little difficult to understand at important parts, but once you go back and put the pieces together, you will quickly realize this movie is a masterI cant say much but wow. I wasn't so sure about this movie at the beginning, but as it progressed, it drew me in more and more. The star part of this movie is it's ending. In simple words, suspenseful, amazing, beautiful. Dialog may be a little difficult to understand at important parts, but once you go back and put the pieces together, you will quickly realize this movie is a master piece. I got it on Blu ray for 5 dollars. Best 5 dollars iv ever spent. Expand
  4. Nov 23, 2010
    One of my favourite movies ever, absolutely lovced it everytime i saw it, the amount of idiots on here that gave this a low score is laughable. It is one of the best westerns i have ever seen and the music to it was wonderful.
  5. JeanD.
    Oct 1, 2007
    I'm not crazy about westerns, nor of violent films. I was convinced to see this movie and I'm so glad I did. The use of psychology and philosophy to show the characters was brilliant. Showing that anybody, regardless of moral character, can fall over to the opposite side. Even the good guys struggled with staying "good."
  6. RyanC.
    Sep 16, 2007
    A very entertaining. The story gets a little fuzzy near the end regarding Wade's choices, but otherwise a great story.
  7. MichaelS.
    Sep 10, 2007
    Good Western's have provided meaningful messages about life and relationships and this one provided several good ones. Crowe's and Bale's performances standout in this film and together they enabled the director to deliver valuable lessons about home, family, and the brutalities of life. Despite some of the character actors and script flaws in the film, a good western was Good Western's have provided meaningful messages about life and relationships and this one provided several good ones. Crowe's and Bale's performances standout in this film and together they enabled the director to deliver valuable lessons about home, family, and the brutalities of life. Despite some of the character actors and script flaws in the film, a good western was delivered for the money. Expand
  8. EricS.
    Sep 20, 2007
    Simply good...don't go further! Classic western, efficient and true! A must see for all western lovers!
  9. JimS
    Sep 6, 2007
    Very good, entertaining film. I was never a huge fan of westerns, but was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. Well paced and acted, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good action drama.
  10. Rex
    Oct 1, 2007
    This was a modern version of an old style western. I loved that it wasn't super realistic and gritty. I loved Russell Crowe and the ease in which his character
  11. KarenW.
    Oct 22, 2007
    A lot of violence, but awesome performances. Grabs hold of your emotions. The Western is back!
  12. H.K.C.
    Oct 8, 2007
    Yes this is the one if you like the old West with a twist. Twist it does just about throughout the whole movie. So put on your spurs and saddle-up with a bag of Non-Buttered Popcorn and a 16 Caliber Diet Coke and Enjoy the Show. Regards, HK.
  13. DeborahL.
    Sep 13, 2007
    Revival of a great genre with 21st century technique, led by fine performances
  14. FredW.
    Sep 17, 2007
    As the movie is based on the work of one of my favorite writers (Elmore Leonard), and starring some of my favorite actors (Christian Bale and Russell Crowe), I felt compelled to watch it. I'm happy to report it is simply the best movie I've seen all year. The pace is tight, there are no extraneous material to distract. The acting is superb, as is the story. There isn't so As the movie is based on the work of one of my favorite writers (Elmore Leonard), and starring some of my favorite actors (Christian Bale and Russell Crowe), I felt compelled to watch it. I'm happy to report it is simply the best movie I've seen all year. The pace is tight, there are no extraneous material to distract. The acting is superb, as is the story. There isn't so much as one thing I can negatively review about this movie. Watch it and enjoy. Collapse
  15. MikeA
    Sep 30, 2007
    Amazing film with an even more amazing cast. Love Crow and Bale together too. Hope they have other projects together in the future. The ending with it's moral ambiguity is wonderful. Maybe a sequel of some kind?
  16. BrettF.
    Sep 4, 2007
    Very well done. Best western movie in a long time. Kept my attention the whole time. The acting is great along with some great gun fights and twists. Overall, a great movie.
  17. NickM.
    Sep 6, 2007
    A great western, given the lack of westerns in the last 10 years. This is a great movie to go see and I strongly suggest that you do so. its blends modern day thriller with old west shoot outs, bounty hunters and carriage robbery with modern day thrills.
  18. JoanB.
    Sep 6, 2007
    Absolutely wonderful. Great acting, story and pacing. I haven't loved westerns for a long time, but the love affair has been rekindled, at least for 3:10 to Yuma. Crowe is magnificent as Ben Wade, Bale brings us all we need in a sturdy portrayal, and newcomer Ben Foster, a character actor to watch in the future.
  19. JudithP.
    Sep 6, 2007
    I really enjoyed this film..imagine a grown-up adult film with no superheroes,wizards or shaky camera work.The fifties original was suited for its time but Mangold's version is meatier and Crowe is outstanding
  20. NickB.
    Sep 7, 2007
    I thought the rhythm of the film was on point. The actors were all well cast, except for Luke Wilson - what are you doing in there? Not being a fan of typical male themes - pride, honor, braun - it seemed that this film didn't let those characteristics become characatures. And Ben Foster should get a few more mentions for his delicious portrayal of Wade's right hand.
  21. CydneyB.
    Sep 7, 2007
    Wayyyyyyyyyyyy too intense for me, but my husband was over the moon excited. He loved every second of it and plans to buy the DVD as soon as it comes out. High praise from a guy whose favorite film genre is western, and who's been woefully disappointed in the past. Audience was so quiet and involved, you could have heard the proverbial pin drop, and then a great big exhale and the end.
  22. AA
    Sep 8, 2007
    A fun yet heavy western. Well acted which makes this almost formula movie much better to watch. I escaped into a bygone era when right and wrong was clear. The critical difference and one worth noting is right and wrong got mixed and I really enjoyed that exploration. Crowe and Bales are really superb. The action is a bit expected , but still fun.
  23. ROBERTM.
    Sep 8, 2007
    James Mangold may not be a genius as a Director, but if he isn't I would sure like to meet the guy who is ahead of him in line. 3:10 to Yuma is action packed and the story flows naturally from beginning to end; there are no rough spots here. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale are each worth the price of admission alone, together they are terrific. The young actor who plays the 14 James Mangold may not be a genius as a Director, but if he isn't I would sure like to meet the guy who is ahead of him in line. 3:10 to Yuma is action packed and the story flows naturally from beginning to end; there are no rough spots here. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale are each worth the price of admission alone, together they are terrific. The young actor who plays the 14 year-old son has a very bright future if he can keep it between the white lines and out of the ditches of booze, drugs, and too many "party women". The tension and interaction between the 3 of them was compelling throughout. The Mangold-directed "Walk The Line" had one of the best movie beginnings of all time, while 3:10 has one of the best, most satisfying endings. This movie lived up to the hype, something that cannot be said about most movies. Expand
  24. equality7-2521
    Sep 8, 2007
    There are very few Westerns that I like that aren't directed by either Sergio Leone or Sam Peckinpah. I despise all John Wayne's films, for example. Last year's "The Proposition" was good but hardly inspiring. James Mangold's version of "3:10 to Yuma" is a masterpiece and may very well be my fave western ever. This movie ripped my heart out. I could not talk for ten There are very few Westerns that I like that aren't directed by either Sergio Leone or Sam Peckinpah. I despise all John Wayne's films, for example. Last year's "The Proposition" was good but hardly inspiring. James Mangold's version of "3:10 to Yuma" is a masterpiece and may very well be my fave western ever. This movie ripped my heart out. I could not talk for ten minutes after walking out of the theater... Expand
  25. GordonL
    Oct 4, 2008
    Wow fun movie, totally unfair for alot of people on here bashing it. its probably the same person for all i know, unless everyones lost their minds, this movie had such a good script, strong emotional prevalance compared to many other action movies with an empty story, this one actually has "heart" or shall i say, a mind of its own, like a gun triggering off, nonstop. a very nice remake, Wow fun movie, totally unfair for alot of people on here bashing it. its probably the same person for all i know, unless everyones lost their minds, this movie had such a good script, strong emotional prevalance compared to many other action movies with an empty story, this one actually has "heart" or shall i say, a mind of its own, like a gun triggering off, nonstop. a very nice remake, my final personal rating is a 3/4 not a masterpiece like say, lord of the rings, but seriously HOW CAN someone give this a 1 or a 2? thats sooo lame seriously if you watch the directing, the pace of the film, the script...it all moves smooth slick and a fulfilling western action/flick starring two great actors. do you have any idea how ridiculed i am with such low ratings? if your going to bash a movie, why dont you try something like "era gone" lol this ones so ON though! its got a pulse, yah thaz right. bite it. Expand
  26. BB
    Feb 3, 2008
    Great acting and a good story.
  27. ConorH.
    Feb 4, 2008
    As a fourteen year old boy I know that this movie should not appeal to me but it does and for that reason it really grinds my gears when a critic who has only read the story line gives a movie a bagging. This is another great story of one of the great men and women of the US country music scene - not unlike Coal Miners Daughter. I give it 10/10 - loved it!!!
  28. AdamA.
    Mar 5, 2008
    An interesting movie of morals and virtues. It was all around well done. However, some parts had just too much shooting, while others had too little. The movie seems undecided whether it wants to be a charachter piece, or an action movie.
  29. ChrisG.
    Mar 8, 2008
    Excellent movie. If you like complex characters in a story then this one's for you.
  30. DaneD.
    Mar 9, 2008
    As those who wrote before me have mentioned, the acting is the saving grace of this trite tale. I haven't read the Leonard story, but I hope it provides a bit more insight into the ridiculous and sudden character dynamics in the final quarter of the plot. I found myself waiting for some other element of the film to catch up with the performances. Unfortunately, nothing stepped up to As those who wrote before me have mentioned, the acting is the saving grace of this trite tale. I haven't read the Leonard story, but I hope it provides a bit more insight into the ridiculous and sudden character dynamics in the final quarter of the plot. I found myself waiting for some other element of the film to catch up with the performances. Unfortunately, nothing stepped up to the plate: the cinematography was everything short of poetic, the attention to detail faded just when it was needed the most (the shoot-out), and - as I mentioned before - the plot jumped tracks at the end. Despite its shortcomings, it's still an enjoyable romp. It could have been much more than that, though. Expand
  31. DanC
    Jan 29, 2009
    The first 3/4 of the film are sheer brilliant intensity, and deserve a score of 10/10. In the final half hour, the acting remains superb, but the plot breaks down badly. I can't quite wrap my head around the illogic of the final scenes, and I can't quite love the film because of that. Still, it's well worth watching, and exciting to see such an excellent Western in this day The first 3/4 of the film are sheer brilliant intensity, and deserve a score of 10/10. In the final half hour, the acting remains superb, but the plot breaks down badly. I can't quite wrap my head around the illogic of the final scenes, and I can't quite love the film because of that. Still, it's well worth watching, and exciting to see such an excellent Western in this day and age. The best since Unforgiven. Expand
  32. JosephS
    May 7, 2009
    Nice classic western action movie; very good production values and acting. The story is a bit too straightforward, no surprises here.
  33. ChadS.
    Nov 17, 2007
    In a crucial scene, Ben Wade(Russell Crowe) violates the old dictum that there is "honor among thieves", which makes him an anti-hero if you're the sort of person who roots for the bad guy. You sort of feel bad for Charlie Prince(Ben Foster) in the end. His undying loyalty for Ben makes him heroic, even if he's on the wrong side of the law. Charlie(whose last name is "Prince" In a crucial scene, Ben Wade(Russell Crowe) violates the old dictum that there is "honor among thieves", which makes him an anti-hero if you're the sort of person who roots for the bad guy. You sort of feel bad for Charlie Prince(Ben Foster) in the end. His undying loyalty for Ben makes him heroic, even if he's on the wrong side of the law. Charlie(whose last name is "Prince" for a reason) will do anything to protect his "king(?)". "3:10 to Yuma" is interesting because there are two heroes. Dan is the official hero; Ben Wade is the anti-hero(the murderer with a heart); and then there's Charlie Prince, who will do anything to protect save another person's life, which is, by definition, a hero. "3:10 to Yuma" is one good-looking western, and like any good western, its law-and-order men are faced with the same moral quandries as the bad guys. Expand
  34. LucasC.
    Oct 26, 2007
    This movie is great. It brings about the revival of the continuously dying western. In a few years from now some movie will make the genre return dormant, but never the less this is one of my favorite movies.
  35. MikeJ.
    Sep 12, 2007
    Refreshing old western done nicely in a contempo motif. [***SPOILER***] Other than Ben Wade ridiculously killing his gang at the end, (should never have happened) the movie was flawless. I enjoyed the action immensely. Jolly good show!!!!!!!!
  36. MikeF.
    Sep 14, 2007
    A very satisfying film--a morality play more than a western, it's a perfectly directed and no scene or performance is wasted. While I liked "Bourne", this film has more heart and to that end, more enjoyable.
  37. NickA.
    A remade version of the
  38. JamesT.
    Sep 15, 2007
    This movie could draw a 10 or a 1, depending on how much you turn a blind eye to the story/screenplay liberties. Overall I enjoyed it - the great acting won out over the many "say what?'s" in the plot. For me Foster stole the show. Crowe did a great job, but am I alone in thinking he didn't quite have the edge his character history suggested?
  39. ElizabethL.
    Sep 15, 2007
    I don't even like westerns but this one's got so much heart and it's exquisitely made. The film glowed and Russell Crowe and Christian Bale have the best on screen chemistry ever. A really great film, highly recommend.
  40. StaceyM.
    Sep 16, 2007
    Revived my faith in Westerns as a genre.
  41. NancyO.
    Sep 17, 2007
    Very much different from the original, but equally complex and interesting. However, as in so many movies, the female roles were cast with an eye to beauty, not acting depth. Not too much support from the screenwriters either.
  42. ChrisK.
    Sep 17, 2007
    Just before this movie came out I was thinking the Western is pretty much dead, but this film will breathe some new life into it. Overall fun movie, the audience was into it and applauded at the end. Like many films not completely realistic story but thats part of why I go to the movies - to escape reality - if I want reality I can just open my door. If you want escape go see it!
  43. DoyleO.
    Sep 22, 2007
    All the best of a classic western, with great performances.
  44. FrankO.
    Sep 25, 2007
    One of the best western movies I have seen in years. Better than the original that starred Van Helfin and Glenn Ford. Mangold gets the maximum performances out his actors (i.e. Crowe, Bale, Fonda and Foster). Even plot turns & twists to keep my interest. Highly recommended!!!!!!
  45. CindyW.
    Sep 4, 2007
    A terrific movie, high marks all across the board, a great balance between exciting action and the riveting psycholgogical duel between Ben Wade and Dan Evans. All the supporting players are fine but Crowe and Bale are superb.
  46. ColbyS.
    Sep 5, 2007
    All hail the return of the Western. Not just a film of substance, artistry and character development, 3:10 to Yuma also functions remarkably as a taught action thriller. Bale and Crowe, two favorites, amaze as expected. I was also pleasantly surprised and disturbed simultaneously by a relatively unknown Ben Foster. Add to that a great selection of laughably quotable lines and you have a All hail the return of the Western. Not just a film of substance, artistry and character development, 3:10 to Yuma also functions remarkably as a taught action thriller. Bale and Crowe, two favorites, amaze as expected. I was also pleasantly surprised and disturbed simultaneously by a relatively unknown Ben Foster. Add to that a great selection of laughably quotable lines and you have a great, Oscar-worthy start to the fall movie season. Expand
  47. BradC
    Sep 7, 2007
    Great Western. Really engaging. Crowe is outstanding!
  48. ChrisN.
    Sep 7, 2007
    the best hollywood remake in many years! do you self a favor and go see this tonight.
  49. JulieT.
    Sep 8, 2007
    Hooray for the Western!!!! It's about time. Great cast and stellar performances in what could only be called a 'classic' film in the western genre.
  50. ChrisA
    Sep 8, 2007
    Great film. Great acting, great direction. This movie had the whole audience entranced and excited. Bale is a master of the acting skill and Crowe is superb. This is the best Western in a very very long time.
  51. JonathanF.
    Sep 8, 2007
    How Roger Ebert gave this 4 stars I will never understand. It wasn't that great.
  52. DickD.
    Sep 9, 2007
    An exceptionally well-crafted, old-fashioned Western, in the very best sense of the term. All roles are beautifully acted, and there's stellar work in all departments, right down to the music over the closing credits!,
  53. DougN.
    Sep 9, 2007
    More than just another western.
  54. FrankM.
    Feb 13, 2008
    Good old fashion western with a great story and really good acting by all.
  55. JaredB.
    Feb 16, 2008
    I had heard a lot about this movie, and have wanted to buy it for a while. My dad just picked it up. It was worth the money. Until the halfway point, my rating would have been a 5 at the highest, because it moved so slow. But, in the second half, this movie picked up momentum. It started to become what I have come to expect from westerns, that is, full of action and some serious I had heard a lot about this movie, and have wanted to buy it for a while. My dad just picked it up. It was worth the money. Until the halfway point, my rating would have been a 5 at the highest, because it moved so slow. But, in the second half, this movie picked up momentum. It started to become what I have come to expect from westerns, that is, full of action and some serious shootouts. I also didn't like some of the modern touches they put into the script, namely having two F-bombs dropped almost back-to-back. In spite of the slow pace, if they had left this out, my rating would have been a 10. Expand
  56. PaulB.
    Feb 7, 2008
    Terrific acting. Unique story of two characters with completely different perspectives coming to respect each other.
  57. CoryG
    Apr 13, 2008
    Acting was great, but I think we are done with Western movies nowadays.
  58. Keith
    Sep 3, 2008
    Why does no one seem to get the end of this movie? Ben jumps on the train to make a hero out of Dan to his son, all the while knowing he can well escape a prison he's escaped twice before. He no longer needed his men, and, after meeting someone as incorruptible as Dan, took his vengeance on them for Dan's murder. This movie is excellent and absolutely took my breath away!
  59. ShogoL
    Nov 8, 2007
    Great acting from Bale and Crowe, they play their roles perfectly, so that you can see the way the two men calculate each other as they travel together. The supporting cast is also extremely well done, and the musical score is very fitting and hits some pretty epic highs at points. The story itself has been fleshed out a lot over the original 1957, with new characters and more detailed Great acting from Bale and Crowe, they play their roles perfectly, so that you can see the way the two men calculate each other as they travel together. The supporting cast is also extremely well done, and the musical score is very fitting and hits some pretty epic highs at points. The story itself has been fleshed out a lot over the original 1957, with new characters and more detailed imaginings of old ones. The best change they made to the plot, in my opinion, is extending the journey to Contention with a lot more action and suspense. This really make the final scenes, which have also been added on to very nicely, all the more exciting because there is much more of a buildup. I enjoyed the original, but it was not an incredible movie. THIS 3:10 to yuma, however, is. Worth buying or renting once the dvd is out. This is one to watch on the biggest screen possible (some of the landscapes are gorgeous). Expand
  60. J.B.
    Sep 12, 2007
    Terrific performances across the board. Makes you wonder why the genre has fallen out of fashion. A solid piece of filmmaking. See it.
  61. MySelf
    Sep 17, 2007
    Loved it x3. This is exactly what movies are supposed to be: totally entertaining. All the characters had some substance, the story was a classic western. Cool also because the antagonist is sympathetic. Ciao.
  62. Alex
    Sep 17, 2007
    Really good movie! Great acting from Russell Crowe and Christian Bale which are without a doubt the best male actors of our time.
  63. JaredC.
    Sep 22, 2007
    3:10 to Yuma is surely a Western classic. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale had amazing performances and the movie itself will no doubt become the best Western movie of the 21st Century. Which also includes the song "They're gonna hang ya in the morinin," that song will surely become a humorous classic.
  64. EllenS.
    Sep 27, 2007
    I enjoyed the film, mostly because of the dynamite interaction between Russull Crowe and Christain Bale. And it has that moral ambiguity that always makes Westerns intriguing -- the bad guys show glimmers of humanity, and the good guys are willing to to change sides for money. The ending was perplexing but this is a Western after all: movie vigilante justice doesn't always make sense.
  65. Aug 15, 2011
    Amazing movie. Alot of action in it, really lives up to a wild west movie. Had interesting characters, great actors. Twisting moments that would set you amaze at what just happened throughout it. The end was shocking, and somewhat confusing, (spoilers!) but if you understood the ending, it was rewarding. Seeing the horse follow the train at the end makes you no doubt think of what happenedAmazing movie. Alot of action in it, really lives up to a wild west movie. Had interesting characters, great actors. Twisting moments that would set you amaze at what just happened throughout it. The end was shocking, and somewhat confusing, (spoilers!) but if you understood the ending, it was rewarding. Seeing the horse follow the train at the end makes you no doubt think of what happened afterwards. If you're into Wild west movies, this is a movie you must NOT miss. A true Hollywood movie! Expand
  66. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie actually surprised me a lot. I didn't have very high hopes but after seeing the movie it was actually pretty darn good. The only things I didn't like were a couple of the explosions. I am not sure but I think its kind of hard to hit a bag of explosives from a moving stagecoach while they are attached to a running horse. Also may be very difficult to hit a falling stick ofThis movie actually surprised me a lot. I didn't have very high hopes but after seeing the movie it was actually pretty darn good. The only things I didn't like were a couple of the explosions. I am not sure but I think its kind of hard to hit a bag of explosives from a moving stagecoach while they are attached to a running horse. Also may be very difficult to hit a falling stick of dynamite from your moving horse. I also didn't know you that shooting a stick of dynamite would make it blow up. Other then that the acting was great and the plot flowed nicely. Overall a great movie. Expand
  67. Aug 25, 2014
    Christian Bale and Russell Crowe make a very good game in this one, and surprisingly (being no fan of his), Crowe is honestly the most symphatetic character in the end.

The characters move, shift, and evolve through the movie, but still in the end it isn't quite clear why exactly Wade (Crowe) does what he does. Maybe he knows he has nothing to lose? A real movie with great scenery,

A real movie with great scenery, sounds, and acting.
  68. Apr 15, 2012
    A tribute to western movies,great perfomance's and directing,fast paced and a wonderful cast with Cristian Balle and Russell Crowe,a worth seeing movie with lot twist and turns
  69. Apr 19, 2014
    Really good film here. Christian Bale and Russell Crowe turn in reliably great performances here, but the real star of this show for me was Ben Foster. From the moment he entered the picture, he began staking his claim as the actor with the best performance in this film. His performance honestly floored me and, while he clearly defined himself as the antagonist and pure evil, I could notReally good film here. Christian Bale and Russell Crowe turn in reliably great performances here, but the real star of this show for me was Ben Foster. From the moment he entered the picture, he began staking his claim as the actor with the best performance in this film. His performance honestly floored me and, while he clearly defined himself as the antagonist and pure evil, I could not help but root for him to some very small degree. Beyond the acting, the action was really well done and, throughout, the suspense and intensity of those situations and the non-action sequences were definite pros for this film. The characterization of everybody was very well done as well. The film was just two hours, but managed to go into shocking detail on all of the major players and that really impressed me. Another pro was the sets, costumes, and cinematography. All of those worked really well to encapsulate the time period and the cinematography really provided some "classic Western shots" that were as beautiful as always. I really have a thing for the cinematography in westerns and this one is a great example of that beauty. Finally, the ending was suitably tragic and, yet, oddly uplifting at times, which really made it all the more effective as we saw the end of every character's arc and it really leaves you feel satisfied. Expand
  70. Sep 5, 2012
    A superb western that has a perfect blend of drama and action that should keep anyone entertained and engaged. Great cast, good acting and overall a great film.
  71. Aug 5, 2013
    3:10 to Yuma 7/10.....................................................................................................................................
  72. Nov 28, 2012
    A well-acted, visually fascinating western drama crafted by the hands of James Mangold. "3:10 To Yuma" is an intense film generated by themes surrounding the ideas of agricultural hardships, good and evil, and doing the right thing. Although the ending isn't particularly satisfying, I felt it was fairly appropriate in relation to the subject matter presented in the rest of the film.A well-acted, visually fascinating western drama crafted by the hands of James Mangold. "3:10 To Yuma" is an intense film generated by themes surrounding the ideas of agricultural hardships, good and evil, and doing the right thing. Although the ending isn't particularly satisfying, I felt it was fairly appropriate in relation to the subject matter presented in the rest of the film. Overall, "3:10 To Yuma" is good stuff. Expand
  73. Sep 23, 2013
    I didn't think I was a fan of western films until I saw this one. One of those rare remakes where you're glad they made it. Bale, Crowe and Foster brought something new and original to the table. The casting was perfect. Bale plays a destitute rancher, Evans, bringing Crowe's Wade to justice while being chased by Wade's gang led by Foster's Prince. So begins a capricious journey to hellI didn't think I was a fan of western films until I saw this one. One of those rare remakes where you're glad they made it. Bale, Crowe and Foster brought something new and original to the table. The casting was perfect. Bale plays a destitute rancher, Evans, bringing Crowe's Wade to justice while being chased by Wade's gang led by Foster's Prince. So begins a capricious journey to hell and back again. These men played their characters with absolute dedication and the result was a gun slinging drama matched by none of the other movies in the genre. I found myself rooting for all of them. Wade isn't such a brute as he would have us believe. I also applauded Prince for his unwavering loyalty to his boss. But the show stealer was the one-legged conflicted Evans who served as the moral compass of the movie. The length was just right and the movie did not drag at all. The cinematography was commendable, and the score was engaging. I thoroughly recommend it. Expand
  74. Mar 6, 2013
    To begin, this film is a pretty decent western. I thoroughly enjoyed it up until the end. You can see it coming from a mile away and kind of ruins the movie. But besides that I think this is a pretty good movie. Also the antagonists choices near the end kind of confused me but whatever, it's still a nice experience.

1. This is how a Western today tries to give us more bang for the buck. By working this hard to be a crowd-pleaser, though, it may please fewer crowds.
  2. A largely compelling ride on the strength of a powerful cast led by Russell Crowe and Christian Bale.
    In this movie, Fonda really is iconic. 3:10 to Yuma may be familiar, but, at its best, it has a rapt quality, even an aura of wonder.