7.8

1. Aug 27, 2010
    The neorealism and morbidity of of the subject might shy away some viewers, but everything about this movie is handled with such delicate care - the acting, the cinematography, the absence of a film score - that it really does suck you into it's existence, forcing you to feel the hardships of living in a state of oppression. Moral of the Story: don't live in a place where abortions are illegal.
  2. BillB.
    Aug 20, 2008
    You keep expecting something to happen, but nothing Happens in this movie. The doctor makes an unusual request half way through the movie, and that is all.
  3. Sep 28, 2012
    Watch this movie for the perfect example of how to trick everybody into thinking your movie is good, without actually having to create an intelligent story. Just make it about a controversial issue, have a shocking proposal from a doctor to two women halfway through, and show a human fetus to freak people out. Then everyone is so blown away that they're convinced it's because of the meritsWatch this movie for the perfect example of how to trick everybody into thinking your movie is good, without actually having to create an intelligent story. Just make it about a controversial issue, have a shocking proposal from a doctor to two women halfway through, and show a human fetus to freak people out. Then everyone is so blown away that they're convinced it's because of the merits of the film. I wouldn't really call this a pro abortion movie. In fact, the fetus scene is like the videos of slaughterhouses they make to convince people to become vegetarians. Regardless of the stance it takes, it doesn't really go about it in a thought provoking way. The one thing I did appreciate was the idea that the one girl was willing to accept the doctor's offer for her friend. It was an interesting statement about friendships, although it's possible that that just happened by accident, and that the writer wasn't really even thinking of that. I will not reveal my opinion on abortion, but I don't think it matters. A weak script is a weak script. The movie is all about shock value, and people mistake that for decent writing. Expand
  4. MichaelD.
    Mar 7, 2008
    A pointless waste of time unless you find watching a back alley abortion in Communist Romania to uplifting. I'm not anti-abortion, I just found the film to be a monumental waste of time.
  5. johns
    Jan 1, 2010
    How did this movie get such high reviews? I love foreign, art house, film noir but I just found this incredibly boring, slow and pretty slim on plot and dialogue. I just could not figure how many of the scenes even added to the overall theme, experience or anything. But glad the people who loved it loved it.
  6. Szalazar
    Jan 26, 2008
    this movie is a drag, a slow, depressing movie that is surprisingly average for the reviews it has been getting. The only reason its been rated so high is because it deals with abortion and thats a politically hot topic right now. I am a fan of these kind of subtitled foreign art movies, but 4 Months is not that amazing of a movie. Well made, but thats about it.
  7. DanielG.
    Mar 6, 2008
    Painful to no real purpose, and often ineptly made to boot, this is a long, dark slog to nowhere. Sometimes the most dismal view isn't the most truthful, and this tortuous grim exercise in hopeless glum grit never gets at the humanity behind the gloom. Need an antidote to this ugly film? Check out the Czech cinema of the '60s, dark comedies that were humanistic yet truthful.
  8. AdrianP.
    Apr 15, 2008
    Clearly, the reason that this film has such a high score from the critics is that it is a film made to entrance, to shock,and addressed directly to the liberal self reproach of the west world, and from the users because it receives massive votes from the Romanians, who are in a state that says every success outside the borders will uplift the image of our country. The film was very good Clearly, the reason that this film has such a high score from the critics is that it is a film made to entrance, to shock,and addressed directly to the liberal self reproach of the west world, and from the users because it receives massive votes from the Romanians, who are in a state that says every success outside the borders will uplift the image of our country. The film was very good technically, but if you analyze it a little bit it has NOTHING in stake, no ethical weight, no character deep study(mr. Bebe only seems real because he talks real but his actions are completely cartoonish and unmotivated) , and the girls are so common, so devoid of any ethical sense that i struggle to care for any of them. Plus, it?s more likely a short or a medium length movie, made a feature film by some pointless scenes. Expand
  9. DustinC
    Aug 17, 2009
    This is the not just the worst movie I've ever seen, this is the worst movie ever made. this is also not hyperbole. This movie is all the proof you need that critics aren't real people, they're pompous idiots who sniff each others farts.
  10. MikeH
    Aug 5, 2009
    After having seen the rave reviews on Metacritic I decided to buy this film. Honestly, I'm at a loss as to what all the fuss is about! It seemed like the film never really got going, I couldn't connect with it, and, as other people have said, not a great deal happens. Though not the worst film I've seen by a long-shot, disappointment was my main feeling, that and waiting After having seen the rave reviews on Metacritic I decided to buy this film. Honestly, I'm at a loss as to what all the fuss is about! It seemed like the film never really got going, I couldn't connect with it, and, as other people have said, not a great deal happens. Though not the worst film I've seen by a long-shot, disappointment was my main feeling, that and waiting for it to end... Expand
  11. dustinc
    Jan 18, 2010
    To see this movie sandwiched between Pan's Labyrinth and Dr. Strangelove absolutely turns my stomach. this is movie is complete rubbish. do you want to watch nothing happen for 2 hours in a communist country in the 80s? watch it. its not "harrowing" its not "poignant" it is, however, CRAP.
  12. FionaB.
    Nov 12, 2008
    Exceptional acting and as a viewer you experience the emotions of the actors but not what I would call a "thriller".
  13. MikeK.
    Nov 5, 2008
    Is this a joke! I have a 20 minute test and this film failed. i have no idea about what was going on and could actually care less. I read some of the other comments and cannot believe that realism is so compelling when it is totally boring and dull.
  14. MikeD.
    Oct 22, 2008
    Bill B. nailed it right on the head. Story is interesting but lacks a driving plotline. I expected a lot more given all the glowing reviews on metacritic.
  15. AndyC
    Feb 12, 2008
    Oh my Gosh! This movie is linearly overrated, nothing in this is either thoughtful or interesting. I was clearly bored, with director and writer Cristian Mungiu running out of ideas once the first half hour passes. I am truly and comprimisably letdown and disappointed, this is said to be a masterpiece. And its up for the Academy awards, BAFTA's, Golden Globes and many other Oh my Gosh! This movie is linearly overrated, nothing in this is either thoughtful or interesting. I was clearly bored, with director and writer Cristian Mungiu running out of ideas once the first half hour passes. I am truly and comprimisably letdown and disappointed, this is said to be a masterpiece. And its up for the Academy awards, BAFTA's, Golden Globes and many other red-carpet nominations. And I don't think this film doesn't deserve anything it is getting. 99/100!! That is negatively stunning, I had also found this film to keep on surpassing on poor storytelling, they didn't give a singly purpose or point to what is happening, and they needed to explain way more what was happening, I was confused half of the time. Anyway, I fell asleep a few minutes before the credits started because this just wasn't enjoyable whatsoever, and whatever mood I am in. For me, this blows, one of the year's worst films, in the top 10 for that. Expand
  16. JamesO
    Jul 11, 2009
    God awful. This is another independent movie that has the critics' panties all in a bunch. The reason it's terrible: nothing happens in the movie. It plods along with scenes of dialogue followed by more scenes of dialogue about the most mundane shit ever. Yeah, it sucks to be living in an oppressive Communist society. We get it. At least make it more interesting with a STORY or God awful. This is another independent movie that has the critics' panties all in a bunch. The reason it's terrible: nothing happens in the movie. It plods along with scenes of dialogue followed by more scenes of dialogue about the most mundane shit ever. Yeah, it sucks to be living in an oppressive Communist society. We get it. At least make it more interesting with a STORY or something. Acting is decent. The scenery and props are pretty good too; it's pretty drab and depressing looking which gives it atmosphere. Otherwise, a complete waste of time. Expand
  17. MS.
    Nov 11, 2008
    When it was over, we were glad the pain was over. But we were oh so confused how this movie received such a high rating. It was bad beyond English words (literally).
  18. Jan 10, 2011
    Not a bad movie but by no means worthy of all it's praise. A woman gets an illegal abortion, end. Yet another instance where a taboo subject matter is confused for a compelling story.
  19. GraziB.
    Feb 3, 2008
    Devastating movie. Besides the abortion plot. It's a movie about female friendship. Anamaria Marinca is amazing, Bravo!
  20. roses
    Oct 31, 2009
    I run a boutique cinema. This movie drew my smallest crowed of 2009. It was the only one I cannot remove from my mind, and I think the fact that it hasnt won an award reveals the hypocrisy of the Oscars. Harrowing and mundane in the same breath. If you can get out of this film without white knuckles, you are made of strong stuff.
  21. JessS.
    Sep 2, 2009
    A powerful and great foreign drama, the cinematography in this picture is simply stunning, the acting faultless lead by the mesmarising Anamaria Marinca . When i know I've seen a great film is when i could watch it with no sound or subtitles and it still has an effect on my emotions and i can safely say i could with this film, the location of this film was filmed perfectly to portray A powerful and great foreign drama, the cinematography in this picture is simply stunning, the acting faultless lead by the mesmarising Anamaria Marinca . When i know I've seen a great film is when i could watch it with no sound or subtitles and it still has an effect on my emotions and i can safely say i could with this film, the location of this film was filmed perfectly to portray what life was like in 1987 romania, those who don't find the simplicity in this film capturing must have no heart. The only reason i didn't score it a 10 was because i didn't like the ending as much as the other parts of the film. I hope foreign cinema has some more delights like this up there sleeves. Expand
  22. ValentinM
    Jan 20, 2008
    One of the "must see movie" of all times.
  23. DavidB.
    Feb 12, 2008
    It was good, but I felt unsatisfied when it ended. I think it lacked a clear theme or message so am quite surprised to see it receiving a higher accolade than other superb foreign language films, such as The Lives of Others.
  24. ZoltanZ
    Feb 15, 2008
    Strong in many respects, realism, consistent tone, acting, suspense, tension etc... However, the ending represented a HUGE misstep. [***SPOILER***] Within an hour after such a late-term abortion that woman would not be sitting down at a restaurant ordering dinner. she'd be lucky if she hadn't bled to death. completely unrealistic moment to an otherwise very realistic film.
  25. dyld
    Feb 3, 2008
    This film is bleak--and that will put off many people. But don't let it put you off. This film is a strong experience--relentless tension. Admits that people make mistakes under pressure, which is difficult to watch. Above all, however, the film rings true. And on the rare occasions this happens in cinema you have to confront the ideas of the film.
  26. usmanhaider
    Feb 9, 2008
    this is not a movie.its an experience.how can a movie be so real so grasping.........i do not envy as such but feels competitive with a person named mungiu.whole abservation of life is so deep and true.it comes from inner consciousness.i firmly can claim this to be the most brilliantly acted and directed movie i have seen and i can see in future.the minute details are hard to understand bythis is not a movie.its an experience.how can a movie be so real so grasping.........i do not envy as such but feels competitive with a person named mungiu.whole abservation of life is so deep and true.it comes from inner consciousness.i firmly can claim this to be the most brilliantly acted and directed movie i have seen and i can see in future.the minute details are hard to understand by everyone.its unforgettable and matchless.no exxagaration but the truth.i cant see anyone could have done a performance like anmaria.its not "acting".its performance.this film is a must see for those who see Expand
  27. EmanuelA.
    Mar 29, 2008
    Only people that lived during that Romanian/Ceausescu era can understand this movie!Very well done and love the overall story.A+
  28. FelixK.
    Mar 3, 2008
    Well-made, but it's correct that the Academy didn't give it a "foreign language movie" nominee !!!
  29. Tomegun
    Apr 2, 2008
    A little slow at first for my taste....but it drags you in and gets pretty intense!
  30. AndyM.
    Jun 30, 2008
    I was quite excited about seeing this movie, what with the fantastic reviews. And... I can't say I was disappointed, really. It had superb acting, and on the whole it was very well done. It was gripping, to the point that my friend and I were enthralled by every detail the film threw at us as we watched. The sad part is that, after all the thrills and the suspense and the drama, it I was quite excited about seeing this movie, what with the fantastic reviews. And... I can't say I was disappointed, really. It had superb acting, and on the whole it was very well done. It was gripping, to the point that my friend and I were enthralled by every detail the film threw at us as we watched. The sad part is that, after all the thrills and the suspense and the drama, it didn't deliver. We wanted it to go in a Hollywood direction, we wanted that I.D. at the desk to mean something, for that little mention of a phone number to lead somewhere, but it didn't. It was comical, really, how much... MORE wanted. In any other film, this would have been devastating, but the incredible single takes and the emotion that the viewer couldn't help but feel along with the actors made it all too good otherwise. It's a worthwhile watch, just don't go into it expecting anything near your conventional film. Expand
  31. MichaelB
    Oct 9, 2009
    This is frighteningly realistic rendition of life in the Eastern Bloc under communism. The awfulness of everything down to the clothes and the offensive drunk waiters make compelling viewing. Easily the best film I saw last year, and I saw Cargo 200!!!
  32. Iainf
    Jan 9, 2009
    I don't really know what to say about this film really. Right off the bat, you're probably wondering whether you should watch it, and yes, yes you most certainly should. The film itself is amazing, I just don't really understand why to be honest. Nothing really happens in it! But the acting, the emotions it makes you feel and several all factors help pull it through. It I don't really know what to say about this film really. Right off the bat, you're probably wondering whether you should watch it, and yes, yes you most certainly should. The film itself is amazing, I just don't really understand why to be honest. Nothing really happens in it! But the acting, the emotions it makes you feel and several all factors help pull it through. It doesn't deserve the near perfect reviews in my opinion, but it still the best film I've saw in a while. Expand
  33. AaronS.
    Jan 12, 2008
    This was easily one of the best films I saw in 2007. Clearly there is something stirring in Romanian cinema as '4/3/2' is another outstanding work for that country's burgeoning film scene.
  34. GabiU
    Jan 10, 2008
    brilliantly acted! you can feel the tension and the lack of edited scenes brings you into the drama. the camera doesn't even exists, you don't feel it like a movie but like a fact, a scene happening in front of you. i'm not surprised it's a rewarded film. not recommended to youngs (they can't fully understand the scale of the event or sense the minor details).
  35. MI
    Jan 18, 2008
    In the end, this is an average movie, where not much (i.e. enough) happens. The story is mostly carried forward with constant and inane dialogue. A large portion of the conversations seem improvised. In the end this is a prototype of a movie that the critics love, but the average movie goer will remain ambivalent and indefferent over. Nevertheless, slow pacing and historically appropriate In the end, this is an average movie, where not much (i.e. enough) happens. The story is mostly carried forward with constant and inane dialogue. A large portion of the conversations seem improvised. In the end this is a prototype of a movie that the critics love, but the average movie goer will remain ambivalent and indefferent over. Nevertheless, slow pacing and historically appropriate milieu do set a realistic and touching mood. Expand
  36. DmitryP.
    Jan 23, 2008
    If Andrei Tarkovsky made a Dogma 95 movie, it might look and sound and feel like this. Cinematically, this is a masterpiece of artistic discipline, the perfect marriage of form and content, the freshest thing in years, a brand-new way to get your truth twenty-four times a second, blah, blah, blah. . . .Dramatically, it does the last thing you expect from an issue movie: give you an If Andrei Tarkovsky made a Dogma 95 movie, it might look and sound and feel like this. Cinematically, this is a masterpiece of artistic discipline, the perfect marriage of form and content, the freshest thing in years, a brand-new way to get your truth twenty-four times a second, blah, blah, blah. . . .Dramatically, it does the last thing you expect from an issue movie: give you an engaging, realistic central character, so you forget about political abstractions and start worrying about what will happen to her and what she's going to do. This is a time capsule movie, a Voyager spacecraft movie, a great and perfect film that may all on its own redeem traditional narrative cinema for the next few years. Expand
  37. PerspicaciousCritic
    Jan 25, 2008
    [***SPOILERS***] I appreciate "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days" for its excellent craftsmanship: the artfully composed shots are worthy of a gallery exhibit; the stubborn refusal to cut away from certain scenes is brave and inspirational; and the acting (or non-acting, it was so realistic) is sublime. Overall, I agree with the critics that "4 Months" is an uncompromising work of art. But the [***SPOILERS***] I appreciate "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days" for its excellent craftsmanship: the artfully composed shots are worthy of a gallery exhibit; the stubborn refusal to cut away from certain scenes is brave and inspirational; and the acting (or non-acting, it was so realistic) is sublime. Overall, I agree with the critics that "4 Months" is an uncompromising work of art. But the problem I have with "4 Months" are in the form of red herrings, and plenty of them. For example, when the brooding back-alley abortionist, Mr. Bebe, pleads with his mother to go back into her apartment, the tension mounts to where you think he's going to physically toss her inside. During this moment, in Mr. Bebe Expand
  38. CoraN.
    Jan 27, 2008
    Terrifyingly grey, as everyday life in communism, and exceptionally beautiful, as Otilia's friendship and unselfishness.
  39. philmoooten
    Feb 11, 2008
    this is an involving and very moving film. highly recommended. to shaun b - you sound so pompus. firstly one film doesn't 'prove' anything, especially when your point of view is supposedly the evidence, and the film doesn't even reply to your silly sweeping statement about the french - the film is romanian.
  40. PeteC
    Feb 22, 2008
    I've seen it three times already and enjoy it every time. Brilliant acting, image, camera work. The scenes with long moments of silence are my favorite. You can see here how powerful can be acting without saying anything.... Ana Maria Marinca transmitted with her back at the camera things that many actors have to use face and words to do it.
  41. JoshB
    Feb 23, 2008
    OK, this movie is very good, but it's not THAT good. A score of 98 would lead you to believe it's one of the best films to come out in the last 10 years, and it's not (I'm just trying to manage expectations). My main problem is the ending [no spoilers], which is a little abrupt and leaves several issues unresolved.
  42. KateR.
    Feb 20, 2008
    As good a film as any I've ever seen or expect to see again.
  43. ConnorS
    Mar 9, 2008
    Felix K. This movie came out in 2008 how can the academy give this a foreign language nod when this movie came out in 2008. The Oscars are for 2007! that being said this was was very well made and beautiful film.
  44. LAKISP.
    Apr 5, 2008
    Pure filmaking . Answer to all these kind of movies which sucrifice a good idea for an oscar.BRAVO Romania.
  45. Iulian
    Jun 6, 2008
    Some of the finest acting I have seen on film. Beautiful shots and not melodramatic. I have found nothing in it to falsify reality (1980s in Romania).
  46. TonyP
    Jan 28, 2009
    A powerful, disturbing film with amazing performances. You will feel sick to your stomach after watching this - which is an indicator of great filmmaking that draws you in forces you to face realities that you'll never be comfortable with. Easily the best film I've seen in many, many years.
  47. MirceaC.
    Feb 4, 2009
    For those who don't know yet (and I can see there are a lot in here) Romania IS/WAS NOT PART OF THE SOVIET UNION. Learn some geography before posting here, ok?
  48. Anna
    May 29, 2009
    Excellent movie, not for the light hearted, though. paradoxically enough, it is not really about what seems to be the main event: an abortion. Instead, it captures in a both subtle and gripping manner the essence of communism: a system corrupt to the bone that rules through fear, where everyone keeps an eye on someone else and the only way to survive is to become part of that system. The Excellent movie, not for the light hearted, though. paradoxically enough, it is not really about what seems to be the main event: an abortion. Instead, it captures in a both subtle and gripping manner the essence of communism: a system corrupt to the bone that rules through fear, where everyone keeps an eye on someone else and the only way to survive is to become part of that system. The inherent dehumanisation such a system brings about does not escape the director. Expand
  49. CocoBunny
    Jun 23, 2009
    One of the most compelling and heartbreaking films I've ever seen. It tackles the hard subjects of totalitarianism or abortion without beating you over the head with a given message. It simply tells the story of these two girls--a very sad one at that.
  50. LeahR
    Jan 10, 2010
    Filmgoers are so used to being spoon-fed their neatly shrinkwrapped "takeaway" messges from Hollywood that they flounder helplessly when a film staunchly refuses to tell them what to think.
  51. raymondh
    Jan 13, 2008
    The best movie I have seen in years and the only 10 I have ever given
  52. ThomasV
    Jan 15, 2008
    this is perhaps one of the finest european movies, one of the best of this decade along with cache, head on, the lives of others, hamble con ella etc. approaching Romania's recent traumatic history in a touching way without many political references and inacuracies. a simple story of abortion, powerfully shot and performed with just a hint of historical reference...Romania 1987...pure art
  53. ErikH
    Jan 24, 2008
    I know it's only January, but I'd be surprised if any film is better than this one. The direction is superb and Anamaria Marinca gives a riveting performance. Do not miss under any circumstances. [Warning: There are some very graphic and realistic scenes relating to the abortion at the film's center]
  54. ShaunB
    Jan 31, 2008
    Clearly overrated. In essence, this is a very well executed after school special. Proof that critics are often lemming like, and the French often confuse bleakness for art.
  55. David
    Feb 11, 2008
    Perfect. Beautifully acted and crafted into a powerful experience. Bleak to the point of attempted suicide but throughly enjoyable.
  56. Paul
    Feb 15, 2008
    Excellent film, one of the best I've seen in a long time!
  57. RalphD.
    Feb 17, 2008
    Powerful, stunning, honest, superbly crafted, with exceptional performances by the leads. The fact that it was snubbed for an Oscar nomination is as much of a disgrace as most of the critics say.
  58. LH
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fearless, unflinching and harrowing. A true masterpiece.
  59. glenf
    Feb 21, 2008
    Juno was a much funnier pregnant-girl movie. I like movies. In France it's called cinema, why is that different.
  60. JackL.
    Feb 8, 2008
    A truly work of art and deep thoughts. Poignantly acted and beautifully crafted to almost perfection. A must see!!!
  61. EmilP.
    Mar 16, 2008
    10+++. NO words.We can not run away from our reality.Outstanding sendingout emotions!
  62. MD.
    Mar 22, 2008
    Both a true-to-life drama about life in Romania in the eighties and a tense thriller. Must-see.
  63. TrevorF.
    Apr 12, 2008
    I've only one complaint. The movie is too slow to be a thriller, which is what it is marketed as. It is a truly masterful drama. The woman who plays Otilia is an extraordinary actor. Not since 2001: A Space Odyssey has the ending to a film been so devastating to me ! Very great film.
  64. ChadS.
    May 8, 2008
    When planning a murder, always remember to bring a plastic sheet, to catch the blood, to leave without a trace. Patrick Bateman(Christian Bale) remembered his plastic sheet in Mary Harron's "American Psycho". Gabita (Laura Vasilia) forgot hers, so she'll have to make do with a plastic bag. In our minds, we're thinking like Roy Scheider in "Jaws", as the bag is being laid When planning a murder, always remember to bring a plastic sheet, to catch the blood, to leave without a trace. Patrick Bateman(Christian Bale) remembered his plastic sheet in Mary Harron's "American Psycho". Gabita (Laura Vasilia) forgot hers, so she'll have to make do with a plastic bag. In our minds, we're thinking like Roy Scheider in "Jaws", as the bag is being laid out on the bed: You'll need a bigger... What if the bleeding doesn't stop? As is custom, we're worried that the woman won't survive the procedure. Most, if not all, of us, never consider the fetus, never give the unborn a second thought. But the film does, miraculously, without sanctimony. Catholic pedagogy doesn't make up our minds for us. It's our familiarity with genre conventions that does the trick. "4 luni, 3 santamani, 2 zile" stages the abortion, and more importantly, the aftermath, like a murder had just transpired. When Otilia(Anamaria Marinca) is pressed into action, remembrances of dead bodies rolled up in carpets from other crime movies, not that kind, old woman "Vera Drake", hit us square between the eyes. Expand
  65. MelissaM.
    Nov 12, 2009
    Incredible piece of filmmaking. Now, I am no diehard movie fan, let alone an indie-film or foreign-film connoisseur; I am simply a fan of a sharp, brilliantly told and expertly conceived story. This movie offers that. Tremendous acting surrounds a refreshingly simple plot. Stellar work about an important and still-relevant subject.
  66. KrisR.
    Feb 1, 2009
    This was an emotionally riveting, haunting film. The acting was extraordinary.
  67. EvanW
    May 1, 2009
    An excellent piece of foreign cinema. You can feel it slowly clasp onto you, then push you down to the ground. It leaves with you with an emotional feeling that is hard to find with movies.
  68. NickG
    Aug 18, 2009
    Not as great as it is rated, but watchable. Has some completely out of place grotesque violence. I didn't borrow this to see excessive violence (and neither would most people). You don't have to ruin what could have been a more beautiful movie with a guys face been stabbed to nothing with a glass bottle. Poor judgment.
  69. AilbheS.
    Nov 23, 2008
    the depiction of a young woman having an abortion in soviet russia is a highly unusual and intriguing theme. the acting throughout the film is very well done although i still could not connect with this film, i found it quite boring at times and i think something much more could be made out of it. it seems any films with the "a" word in them receive very high acclaim and i am worried that the depiction of a young woman having an abortion in soviet russia is a highly unusual and intriguing theme. the acting throughout the film is very well done although i still could not connect with this film, i found it quite boring at times and i think something much more could be made out of it. it seems any films with the "a" word in them receive very high acclaim and i am worried that people are trying to be so politically correct that they feel they must give in and give films like this so much notoriety. over all impression is one of disappointment. Expand
  70. JoshuaGeake
    Jan 22, 2008
    It feels like a perfect illustration of a story and the feeling you get while watching 4 months, 3 days and 2 weeks can only be described as identical to the electric, tense and addictive sensation of reading a superb book. It's just amazing and once again just like your new favourite book - if it wernt for the worry that I may find it less enthrawling I'd go and watch it again.
  71. AdeA.
    Feb 12, 2008
    Wonderful!! Filmaking, storytelling, acting. This is what I'd call a true horror film, strongly connected to reality and deepest human nature introspection. The story is told in an implicit, but - at the same time - direct manner. This is a subtle and powerful film. It will follow you long after you left the theatre.
  72. Dave
    Feb 13, 2008
    This was a fantastic film from start to finish, and I have to add that I doubt I'll see a better film than this the rest of the year. This will surely create a lot of discussion in the abortion debate, and I think the director is clearly not on one side or the other based on the ending. It's really a shame this wasn't one of the foreign film Oscar nominations. Although I This was a fantastic film from start to finish, and I have to add that I doubt I'll see a better film than this the rest of the year. This will surely create a lot of discussion in the abortion debate, and I think the director is clearly not on one side or the other based on the ending. It's really a shame this wasn't one of the foreign film Oscar nominations. Although I have not seen them, I would be surprised if they are better than this. Oh, and Andy C, you are an idiot!!! Poor storytelling and they needed to explain more what was happening??? Huh? I really don't see what was confusing about the film at all. Maybe you should just stick to seeing Rambo or Hottie and the Nottie. Expand
  73. LanaS.
    Feb 14, 2008
    I went to this film expecting a masterpiece; I left the theater without such an experience. In short, the film drags at times, and definitely overrated in the emotions evoked to the audience. Excellent acting.
  74. AmyH.
    Feb 22, 2008
    glen f's comment comparing this film to Juno is hilarious! ("Juno was a much funnier pregnant-girl movie.") Best laugh I've had this week!
  75. AdyG.
    Oct 12, 2009
    Superbly performed gritty tale - but I learnt nothing from it, it was simply harrowing for its own sake, and didn't preoccupy my mind for long after its viewing. This film has very little to say.
  76. JohnH
    Oct 29, 2009
    Beautifully written, "4 months" is easily in the top 10 of the year for great acting! I cant say anything that anyone else has said thats true about it, its clearly obvious the cast did a superb job. I can understand how some people find this film dull, its an acquired taste, its not some action Bruce Willis flick, its driven on emotion, treads on your nerves, and through it you will feel Beautifully written, "4 months" is easily in the top 10 of the year for great acting! I cant say anything that anyone else has said thats true about it, its clearly obvious the cast did a superb job. I can understand how some people find this film dull, its an acquired taste, its not some action Bruce Willis flick, its driven on emotion, treads on your nerves, and through it you will feel something real like i did, or you wont, as i said - its an acquired taste. Expand
  77. Scott
    Sep 24, 2009
    Polarizing film. my wife hated it . i really enjoyed the incredible acting and the directors bold use of stillness and silence. the 7 averages our impression.
  78. AlexH
    Sep 24, 2009
    Finally seen this and was not disappointed, my partners(romanian) tales of communist Romania were verified in this movie, it was gritty, commanding and masterful. that was life in Romania prior to the revolution in 89, they were the people and the movie is a true representation of Romania at the time.
  79. Feb 27, 2012
    Powerful. Not a happy story by any account but a story of mis-guided friendship where there is no happy ending for the 'good one'. Its a dark novel brilliantly transformed to the movie screen.
  80. Apr 14, 2012
    I can't remember a movie where I cared so much about what I was watching. Though it moves slowly and inconspicuously, it builds an incredible amount of momentum by the midpoint. I found myself thinking "please please let things work out for these two girls", as if they were good friends of mine. And I'm usually overly critical and not easily drawn in. It helps that Mungui manages toI can't remember a movie where I cared so much about what I was watching. Though it moves slowly and inconspicuously, it builds an incredible amount of momentum by the midpoint. I found myself thinking "please please let things work out for these two girls", as if they were good friends of mine. And I'm usually overly critical and not easily drawn in. It helps that Mungui manages to avoid a single false note in the entirety of the film with his direction. Anamaria Marinca plays her very difficult role without a trace of self-pity. This is a truly amazing movie that surprised me. Collapse

It is filmmaking as it should be but usually isn't.
  2. This year’s foreign language Oscar scandal – there is always at least one – is the snub of director Cristian Mungiu’s disturbing, masterful realist drama following two college roommates as they carry out plans for one’s black market abortion in Communist Romania.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    The film is bold stroke that hopes to push Romanian society forward by staring into the dismal failures of its recent past.