7.8

1. Aug 27, 2010
    The neorealism and morbidity of of the subject might shy away some viewers, but everything about this movie is handled with such delicate care - the acting, the cinematography, the absence of a film score - that it really does suck you into it's existence, forcing you to feel the hardships of living in a state of oppression. Moral of the Story: don't live in a place where abortions are illegal.
  2. Sep 28, 2012
    Watch this movie for the perfect example of how to trick everybody into thinking your movie is good, without actually having to create an intelligent story. Just make it about a controversial issue, have a shocking proposal from a doctor to two women halfway through, and show a human fetus to freak people out. Then everyone is so blown away that they're convinced it's because of the merits of the film. I wouldn't really call this a pro abortion movie. In fact, the fetus scene is like the videos of slaughterhouses they make to convince people to become vegetarians. Regardless of the stance it takes, it doesn't really go about it in a thought provoking way. The one thing I did appreciate was the idea that the one girl was willing to accept the doctor's offer for her friend. It was an interesting statement about friendships, although it's possible that that just happened by accident, and that the writer wasn't really even thinking of that. I will not reveal my opinion on abortion, but I don't think it matters. A weak script is a weak script. The movie is all about shock value, and people mistake that for decent writing. Expand
  3. Jan 10, 2011
    Not a bad movie but by no means worthy of all it's praise. A woman gets an illegal abortion, end. Yet another instance where a taboo subject matter is confused for a compelling story.
  4. Feb 27, 2012
    Powerful. Not a happy story by any account but a story of mis-guided friendship where there is no happy ending for the 'good one'. Its a dark novel brilliantly transformed to the movie screen.
  5. Apr 14, 2012
    I can't remember a movie where I cared so much about what I was watching. Though it moves slowly and inconspicuously, it builds an incredible amount of momentum by the midpoint. I found myself thinking "please please let things work out for these two girls", as if they were good friends of mine. And I'm usually overly critical and not easily drawn in. It helps that Mungui manages to avoid a single false note in the entirety of the film with his direction. Anamaria Marinca plays her very difficult role without a trace of self-pity. This is a truly amazing movie that surprised me. Expand

It is filmmaking as it should be but usually isn't.
  2. This year’s foreign language Oscar scandal – there is always at least one – is the snub of director Cristian Mungiu’s disturbing, masterful realist drama following two college roommates as they carry out plans for one’s black market abortion in Communist Romania.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    The film is bold stroke that hopes to push Romanian society forward by staring into the dismal failures of its recent past.