4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

7.9

1. Sep 28, 2012
    Watch this movie for the perfect example of how to trick everybody into thinking your movie is good, without actually having to create an intelligent story. Just make it about a controversial issue, have a shocking proposal from a doctor to two women halfway through, and show a human fetus to freak people out. Then everyone is so blown away that they're convinced it's because of the meritsWatch this movie for the perfect example of how to trick everybody into thinking your movie is good, without actually having to create an intelligent story. Just make it about a controversial issue, have a shocking proposal from a doctor to two women halfway through, and show a human fetus to freak people out. Then everyone is so blown away that they're convinced it's because of the merits of the film. I wouldn't really call this a pro abortion movie. In fact, the fetus scene is like the videos of slaughterhouses they make to convince people to become vegetarians. Regardless of the stance it takes, it doesn't really go about it in a thought provoking way. The one thing I did appreciate was the idea that the one girl was willing to accept the doctor's offer for her friend. It was an interesting statement about friendships, although it's possible that that just happened by accident, and that the writer wasn't really even thinking of that. I will not reveal my opinion on abortion, but I don't think it matters. A weak script is a weak script. The movie is all about shock value, and people mistake that for decent writing. Expand
  2. dustinc
    Jan 18, 2010
    To see this movie sandwiched between Pan's Labyrinth and Dr. Strangelove absolutely turns my stomach. this is movie is complete rubbish. do you want to watch nothing happen for 2 hours in a communist country in the 80s? watch it. its not "harrowing" its not "poignant" it is, however, CRAP.
  3. DustinC
    Aug 17, 2009
    This is the not just the worst movie I've ever seen, this is the worst movie ever made. this is also not hyperbole. This movie is all the proof you need that critics aren't real people, they're pompous idiots who sniff each others farts.
  4. JamesO
    Jul 11, 2009
    God awful. This is another independent movie that has the critics' panties all in a bunch. The reason it's terrible: nothing happens in the movie. It plods along with scenes of dialogue followed by more scenes of dialogue about the most mundane shit ever. Yeah, it sucks to be living in an oppressive Communist society. We get it. At least make it more interesting with a STORY or God awful. This is another independent movie that has the critics' panties all in a bunch. The reason it's terrible: nothing happens in the movie. It plods along with scenes of dialogue followed by more scenes of dialogue about the most mundane shit ever. Yeah, it sucks to be living in an oppressive Communist society. We get it. At least make it more interesting with a STORY or something. Acting is decent. The scenery and props are pretty good too; it's pretty drab and depressing looking which gives it atmosphere. Otherwise, a complete waste of time. Expand
  5. MS.
    Nov 11, 2008
    When it was over, we were glad the pain was over. But we were oh so confused how this movie received such a high rating. It was bad beyond English words (literally).
  6. MikeK.
    Nov 5, 2008
    Is this a joke! I have a 20 minute test and this film failed. i have no idea about what was going on and could actually care less. I read some of the other comments and cannot believe that realism is so compelling when it is totally boring and dull.
  7. BillB.
    Aug 20, 2008
    You keep expecting something to happen, but nothing Happens in this movie. The doctor makes an unusual request half way through the movie, and that is all.
  8. MichaelD.
    Mar 7, 2008
    A pointless waste of time unless you find watching a back alley abortion in Communist Romania to uplifting. I'm not anti-abortion, I just found the film to be a monumental waste of time.
  9. DanielG.
    Mar 6, 2008
    Painful to no real purpose, and often ineptly made to boot, this is a long, dark slog to nowhere. Sometimes the most dismal view isn't the most truthful, and this tortuous grim exercise in hopeless glum grit never gets at the humanity behind the gloom. Need an antidote to this ugly film? Check out the Czech cinema of the '60s, dark comedies that were humanistic yet truthful.
  10. AndyC
    Feb 12, 2008
    Oh my Gosh! This movie is linearly overrated, nothing in this is either thoughtful or interesting. I was clearly bored, with director and writer Cristian Mungiu running out of ideas once the first half hour passes. I am truly and comprimisably letdown and disappointed, this is said to be a masterpiece. And its up for the Academy awards, BAFTA's, Golden Globes and many other Oh my Gosh! This movie is linearly overrated, nothing in this is either thoughtful or interesting. I was clearly bored, with director and writer Cristian Mungiu running out of ideas once the first half hour passes. I am truly and comprimisably letdown and disappointed, this is said to be a masterpiece. And its up for the Academy awards, BAFTA's, Golden Globes and many other red-carpet nominations. And I don't think this film doesn't deserve anything it is getting. 99/100!! That is negatively stunning, I had also found this film to keep on surpassing on poor storytelling, they didn't give a singly purpose or point to what is happening, and they needed to explain way more what was happening, I was confused half of the time. Anyway, I fell asleep a few minutes before the credits started because this just wasn't enjoyable whatsoever, and whatever mood I am in. For me, this blows, one of the year's worst films, in the top 10 for that. Expand

It is filmmaking as it should be but usually isn't.
  2. This year’s foreign language Oscar scandal – there is always at least one – is the snub of director Cristian Mungiu’s disturbing, masterful realist drama following two college roommates as they carry out plans for one’s black market abortion in Communist Romania.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    The film is bold stroke that hopes to push Romanian society forward by staring into the dismal failures of its recent past.