7.3

1. Nov 23, 2014
    Chadwick Boseman shows how solid he is at a young age with his portrayal of Jackie Robinson in 42. He is certainly the highlight of the film. I was hoping for the movie of the year here. It was still solid but it didn't really live up to my expectations. I would have liked to see the movie cover more a timeline. We should have gotten to see the Dodgers win the World Series.
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    "42" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"42" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: Jackie Robinson never wanted to be an icon, he just wanted to play baseball. The film does a great job showing that instead of over-glamorizing the legend of Robinson. As the light goes on and Robinson realizes that what he is doing is bugger than him, Boseman does an amazing job of driving the point home without over-doing it. A mostly accurate film thanks to the input of Robinson's widow as well as a former teammate, who were brought in to supervise. Harrison Ford steals the show as Branch Rickey, owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers and the man who brought Robinson to the big leagues.

The Bad: Probably a little too sugary sweet and sentimental. Some of that is expected, but at times it feels like they overdid it somewhat as there would be several "touching and powerful" scenes in a row.
  3. Jul 23, 2014
    42 is the story of Jackie Robinson, the first African American to play in the MLB. 42 chronicles the intolerance exemplified towards African Americans in the nineteen forty's and the high level of resentment they faced by the National Baseball League.

Chadwick Boseman plays the lead role of Jackie Robinson and gives a worthy performance, although he does stubble in some of the more serious scenes. Harrison Ford also highlights this film as the general manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers at the time, Branch Rickey. He is by far the standout of the film and delivers on the usual Ford talent; if you are able to maneuver past his raspy voice.

42 is written by Brian Helgeland, who wrote the screenplay for L.A. Confidential, but his talent, however does not translate very well over to this film. To be frank, the screenplay is not good. It embodies the premise of mediocrity and exemplifies laziness and the inability to create serious dialogue. A few specs of light show through the seemingly unending cliché lines and useless and poorly written dialogue, but these few instance are not capable of saving the entire movie. Brian Helgeland also directed the film and provides a capable direction, although not memorable.

The biggest problem with 42 is that it is complete waste of its own potential. The film has actors who have proved their talent and a director/writer who has exemplified his own worth. The film ultimately fails because of its lazy and lackluster construction, which is a huge disappointment because it could have been so much more. 42 is not the great film that it should be and does not do justice to the American hero it tries to embody.
  4. Jul 14, 2014
    This is a good movie. It teaches you a lot of lessons. For me as a half-African American this mobie taught me that you do not let racism put you do and corrupt your future plans. Also thaf you should not judged by the cor of your skin. I like Jackie Robinson in the movie becaise I get to see how he struggled in that time frame just because of his race.
  5. Jul 13, 2014
    I woke up this morning after renting 42 The Jackie Robinson Story thinking "Why didn't we see this movie sooner!" Tonight my children will watch it. It is an inspiring and motivating story; one to stimulate reflection on our own behaviors and promote mankind. This movie is for those all ages who are looking for a good story, history and the love for the game of baseball!

Harrison

Harrison Ford played Branch Rickey, owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers. He was a man who fought against the norm by believing in and signing a colored man in 1946 to play in the Major Leagues. Harrison Ford was convincing; he was a true image of Branch Rickey! I say Branch Rickey is a hero! Chadwick Bossman played Jackie Robinson, a handsome young athlete who was an incredibly talented baseball player. Jackie Robinson experienced public humiliation and harassment because of his race. Jackie and his wife were forced to be courageous and power through societies harsh racism! He let his talent speak for himself and he became a hero to many! I think the producers did an excellent job of sharing his story. In real life it wasn't nearly as clean as the movie demonstrated, however I believe the points of racism and how he changed the game of baseball forever were tasteful and well made.
  6. Jul 12, 2014
    great movie, thaught it would be cliched but it wasn´t. loved that film. im a huge Baseball fan, good to see a bit of history
  7. Mar 7, 2014
    i find movie 42 based on jackie robinson which i found interesting about jackies life and his teamates . i find base baseball movies great to learn i also love hockey movies as well . but this one is better then bradd pitts moneyball .
  8. Feb 10, 2014
    I thought this would go to the top of the sports movies, but I have to say I was wrong. It`s great cause it`s a true story, but it lacked what other great sport movies have.I did like Harrison Ford, and the movie was good overall, but nothing great.I agree with people who say it had a TV movie feeling.
  9. Lyn
    Feb 6, 2014
    A straight-up biopic, but if you like baseball, you'll enjoy it. African-American ballplayers had some harrowing experiences in the early years, and the way Robinson (and others, such as Hank Aaron) coped with the pressure is very moving.
  10. Jan 5, 2014
    The movie is harmless and never takes any risks or does anything memorable. It is a straightforward biopic that doesn't really dig deep into Jackie Robinson as a person.
  11. Dec 31, 2013
    It had potential, but is ultimately defeated with poor acting and a predictable, unsatisfying story. It gives you nothing that you couldn't predict, and feels too much like a cliché. I'm sorry, but 42 is a forgettable film.

42 gets a 6.3/10
  12. Dec 14, 2013
    This movie is amazing I'm British who loves baseball more than football so no doubt I planned to watch this movie and I got to say it is amazing I can't say any more go watch this movie
  13. Nov 28, 2013
    Unless you grew up listening, watching, or playing baseball, you might find this movie banal and pedantic. In some cases, the story of Jackie Robinson and his struggles are perhaps too much for a PG-13 movie to consume all in one time. The performances have plenty of character development, and I am impressed with newcomer Chadwick Boseman. But the movie does not have any sort of grittyUnless you grew up listening, watching, or playing baseball, you might find this movie banal and pedantic. In some cases, the story of Jackie Robinson and his struggles are perhaps too much for a PG-13 movie to consume all in one time. The performances have plenty of character development, and I am impressed with newcomer Chadwick Boseman. But the movie does not have any sort of gritty action that adds to the intense experience Robinson went through during the late 40's. Too natural, too clean, yet for most baseball fans, a enjoyable two hours, and plenty good use of twenty bucks. Expand
  14. Nov 26, 2013
    42 was ok, but nothing more. Chadwick Boseman did great as Jackie Robinson, but other than that, I think the acting left a lot to be desired as did the character development. Of course, Jackie should be the focus, but I didn't even know the names of some of the supporting characters until the end. In addition, the directing was not that great and did not feel like a feature film. However,42 was ok, but nothing more. Chadwick Boseman did great as Jackie Robinson, but other than that, I think the acting left a lot to be desired as did the character development. Of course, Jackie should be the focus, but I didn't even know the names of some of the supporting characters until the end. In addition, the directing was not that great and did not feel like a feature film. However, despite those negatives, I did enjoy 42 and thought it was an interesting look at Robinson's struggles. Expand
  15. Nov 22, 2013
    42, based on the life of Jackie Robinson, still makes for a good story, even if you've heard it before. Although it is a good film, it likely won't be on the list of the year's best because after Harrison Ford, who delivers a great performance, there aren't any other worthy ones here.
  16. BKM
    Oct 9, 2013
    It's extremely difficult to put Jackie Robinson's legacy into its proper perspective and for the most part 42 doesn't really try. Instead it is content to be a glossy, feel good sports story. If you can accept that, you'll find the film to be a genuinely entertaining and well acted biopic that tells an important story albeit in a less than urgent manner.
  17. Sep 27, 2013
    This movie by far is the best movie I have ever seen this year and probably for the past few years. This should be an Oscar winning movie. Great acting all the way to the home plate. This is a must see movie. BTW, I'm a white male and very few movies bring me to tears but this one did more than once.
  18. Sep 20, 2013
    Boseman's Jackie Robinson is a very good character study, and the actor's talents should be widely embraced. What the movie lacks it makes up for in accuracy, drama, and a neat script.
  19. Aug 31, 2013
    On this side of the Atlantic is not easy to get a feel for these movies, but it will be more drama than a sports movie about baseball. Not bad for one's leaving.
  20. Aug 25, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie. Harrison Ford is wonderful as Richy and all actors do a very credible job. I also learned a lot about Jackie Robinson and his life in baseball. It was a very entertaining story. Enjoy.
  21. Aug 22, 2013
    42 tiene como objetivo ser una pelicula que ablande el corazon del publico mediante la interacción de la muestra de una epoca ya pasada (en el beisbol) y se hace ver buena dentro de su genero
  22. Aug 16, 2013
    42 really accurately represents Jackie Robinson's life and what he had to go through.
    With amazing acting from all of the actors, especially Harrison Ford. The acting is so amazing it really makes you hate the racist coaches and players and the movie ends up touching your heart. although the movie can be slow at sometimes, when you're walking out of the theatre, you don't regret going a bit.
  23. LTR
    Aug 16, 2013
    This movie did what it was suppose to do.It had a great story and wanted to make you want to know more about Jackie Robinson.42 was a great movie showing the story of the first African American baseball player.
  24. Aug 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everyone thinks this is a good baseball movie, but aside from the lead actor, there is nothing I like about this movie! Granted the story is about a great baseball player, the acting absolutely SUCKS! Not even Indiana Jones can save this horrible atrocity of a movie! Mind you, this is just what I got from the PREVIEWS! Don't even waste your $10 on this DVD! Glad I didn't purchase it, or I'd ask 4 my damn money back! Expand
  25. Aug 10, 2013
    Everyone knows that Jackie Robinson was the man who broke Major League Baseball's color barrier in 1947, but few know why he was the one that was chosen. Robinson wasn't the best black player out there, he wasn't even a superstar, what he was, was well educated and understood that people attacked him out of fear and ignorance. He never took it personally and knew fighting back wouldEveryone knows that Jackie Robinson was the man who broke Major League Baseball's color barrier in 1947, but few know why he was the one that was chosen. Robinson wasn't the best black player out there, he wasn't even a superstar, what he was, was well educated and understood that people attacked him out of fear and ignorance. He never took it personally and knew fighting back would accomplish nothing, and against all odds, no matter what was thrown at him, Robinson was able to brush it off. In 42, he's portrayed by newcomer Chadwick Boseman, who wasn't just fantastic, but also gracious for the opportunity to portray a true American hero. I am a big Jackie Robinson fan and through everything I've seen, Boseman has given the most clear and accurate portrayal of the man to date. His co-star is Harrison Ford, playing the legendary Branch Ricky. Throughout his life, Ricky was outspoken against segregation and didn't just help in breaking baseball's color barrier, eight years later, he broke the Latino barrier as well. What I love about Harrison Ford is that he's so predictable, you know you will always get a tremendous performance out of him and that he will go to extreme lengths to be as real to the story as possible. This film was outstanding, from top to bottom, but my one knock on 42 is that it didn't go beyond the 1947 season. Robinson played for nine years after that and was a key member of the civil rights movement after baseball. I would have liked to have seen how in 1955, at age 36, he led the Dodgers to their only championship in Brooklyn, with an improbably steal of home against the Yankees. I also would have liked to have seen how he became the first black broadcaster, or how he marched with Dr. King in Washington. 42 is one of the clearest, most accurate depiction of two years in the life of Jackie Robinson, and while it was terrific, I would have like to have seen them take it a step further. Expand
  26. Jul 6, 2013
    “42” is warm-hearted and a respectable film, but it doesn't enrich or heighten Jackie Robinson's legacy. Jackie Robinson is arguably the single most important sports figure of the 20th century. Robinson's story is historically extraordinary and utterly captivating. In sharing Robinson’s inspirational story, some risks could have been taken in the approach to film making as well.“42” is warm-hearted and a respectable film, but it doesn't enrich or heighten Jackie Robinson's legacy. Jackie Robinson is arguably the single most important sports figure of the 20th century. Robinson's story is historically extraordinary and utterly captivating. In sharing Robinson’s inspirational story, some risks could have been taken in the approach to film making as well. Regrettably, you can’t shake the feeling that writer/director Brian Helgeland is playing it safe, and not swinging for the fences.

“42” tells the story of how Jackie Robinson broke the Major League color barrier in 1947, becoming the first black player to appear in a Major League baseball game since 1884. In 1946, Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) is a Negro League baseball player who never takes racism lying down. Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford) is a Major League team executive with a bold idea. Rickey recruits Robinson to break the unspoken color line as the first modern African American Major League baseball player. As both anticipate, this proves a pivotal challenge for Robinson and his family as they endure unrelenting racist hostility on and off the field, from player and fan alike. As Jackie struggles against his nature to endure such abuse without complaint, he finds allies and hope where he least expects it.

The performances are generally solid and highly believable. For his first major theatrical role, Chadwick Boseman turns in an impressive performance, and quite possibly the highlight of the film. While Robinson's story is worthy of the utmost respect and admiration, Helgeland plainly illustrates that in film making even a great man's life can get a bit bland. “42” effectively tells of Robinson's year in the minors and his first season with the Brooklyn Dodgers, while not doing a very good job of capturing Robinson's personality. He's portrayed more as a historical icon than a fully developed character. “42” feels like an overly sincere history lesson more so than a biography, but it's a history lesson of which we regularly need to be reminded.
  27. Jun 29, 2013
    Pros: Strong individual performances, several less than well known baseball bits (the tip of the hat for an outstanding play, a forfeit goes in the books as a 9-0 victory, etc.), and the Harry Caray-esque character portrayed by John C. McGinley (Perry Cox from Scrubs).

Cons: Every plot point in the film was seemed predictable and bland. It would seem that inspirational sports films haven't changed since The Mighty Ducks.

Overall, I would recommend seeing the film, but no more than once. I feel as though there was too little explanation of Robinson's advancements through the ranks of the Negro leagues to the minors to the MLB for the average person and too much for the average baseball fan. I also felt that the way Robinson was depicted on the bases was terrible in that it felt as though I was watching one of the three stooges attempt to get a lead off first. The film did little more than pique my interest into watching a Jackie Robinson biography.
  28. Jun 25, 2013
    This was a good film considering it was a biopic of a sports figure. Not many movies are good in this genre-or even decent. Often contrived and/or the acting is too horrible to watch. This had some of both but not too much to make it unwatchable. Further, I learned things I didn't know about the man. However I think many of the things he probably he had to endure are not a part of this film.
  29. Jun 17, 2013
    A well put together film that takes a look at the great Jackie Robinson. Chadwick Boseman gives a great performance and so doesn't Harrison Ford. The film has a few flaws with character development, but overall the film captures the hate and cruelty along with one man's inspiring influence on the youth at that time.
  30. Jun 11, 2013
    I father, I Brooklyn Dodger them...I Jack/ I Rob/ I sin...Ah man, I'm Jackie Robinson...'cept when I run base, I dodge the pen!

I think baseball is boring...and I loved 42!

1. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Sep 22, 2014
    Boseman hits his key scenes out of the park, making a swell couple with Shame's Nicole Beharie, while Helgeland stages Robinson's signature base-stealing with undeniable aplomb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Sep 9, 2013
    Already a hit in America, 42 is a well-told but square biopic doing justice to Jackie Robinson rather than exploring him.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Apr 15, 2013
    Boseman is not a hugely close physical match to Robinson, except for perhaps in the power he conveys, but he’s a great choice to play the ball player, unfamiliar enough, despite a decade of small credits here and there, to feel like an athlete, not a movie star playing one.